SW Magazine #66 - Violence in videogames, Kinectimals review, PS4

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26080 Posts

wall5.png

February 17th, 2013 - Issue 66

Letter from the Editor:

We are just days away from Sony unveiling the next-generation Playstation (or something else), and the next-generation System Wars will truly begin. Are you ready? (We certainly aren't) This...is....SYSTEM WARS MAGAZINE!

- Willy105

In This Issue:

faster-than-light_wallpaper01_1280x1024.

FTL REVIEW by Jynxzor

1.png?w=470&h=140&crop=1

LETTER TO SONY: HOW TO MAKE THE PS4 AS SUCCESFUL AS THE Wii U by Willy105

1402889-997629_20100614_screen0061.jpg?w

KINECTIMALS REVIEWby Desmonic

3.png?w=470&h=140&crop=1

NINTENDO DIRECTS ARE KILLING THE GAMING PRESS by Willy105

22.png?w=470&h=140&crop=1

WHY NINTENDO DOESN'T NEED EA by Willy105

gtabw.png?w=470&h=140&crop=1

BLOODBATHS AND RED HERRINGS by Draugen1P

run2.jpg?w=470&h=140&crop=1

ON THE FENCE - ON THE APPEAL OF MILITARY VIDEOGAMES by Draugen1P

Want to write on the magazine? PM Willy105 to join!

screenshot_the-lake-line_47-80463-121-531722309-5.png

legal3.gif

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I read the OP, but didn't click links, like the many issues before. I was tempted to click the FTL article, but I already know it's incredibly awesome.

Thanks for posting the pictures and titles so I could guess what was said.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

SYSTEM WAARRSZZdwwd

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
Why wasn't this stickyfied as usual?
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

wiiulibrary.gif

Spot on. 

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

I really do like that PS4 controller. Looks very retro!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidTy

Why wasn't this stickyfied as usual? King_Dodongo

Waste of forum space, not enough room with other stickies, links offsite not promoting GS views, and issues don't get that many hits/posts to justify a sticky I would imagine...it's been a longtime coming. Of course, my mere post here could motivate a sticky out of spite. :lol: :P

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Pretty much this

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#10 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

I hope it's PS4.

I'm gonna be pretty mad if it is a Vita redesign; i think the current design is already nice. I am still not happy that the 3DS got revamped to an XL. It's hard to love my lil 3DS the same.

If they would announce a Vita memory card price drop, that would also be gladly appreciated.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Next generation of gaming starting soon cant wait

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26080 Posts

Yay! My review! :P heheDesmonic

It was great!

[QUOTE="King_Dodongo"]Why wasn't this stickyfied as usual? SolidTy

Waste of forum space, not enough room with other stickies, links offsite not promoting GS views, and issues don't get that many hits/posts to justify a sticky I would imagine...it's been a longtime coming. Of course, my mere post here could motivate a sticky out of spite. :lol: :P

Criticism about others doing stuff for attention is ironic coming from someone who always types in bold. :o

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="King_Dodongo"]Why wasn't this stickyfied as usual? Willy105

Criticism about others doing stuff for attention is ironic coming from someone who always types in bold. :o

I never criticized for "others doing stuff for attention". You made that unrelated bit up to give yourself a false punchline, lol! That's the same technique employed for much of the articles you write as well. ;) :P I merely offered possibilities to Mr. Dodongo's question, and therefore no irony. :o If anything, I aided in getting the desired sticky using reverse psychology. :shock: (Of course, my role to that effect would also be easily and almost assuredly denied, so no worries.)

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

[QUOTE="King_Dodongo"]Why wasn't this stickyfied as usual? SolidTy

Waste of forum space, not enough room with other stickies, links offsite not promoting GS views, and issues don't get that many hits/posts to justify a sticky I would imagine...it's been a longtime coming.Of course, my mere post here could motivate a sticky out of spite. :lol: :P

1) Acts like he knows more about the place than everyone else

2) Makes unprovoked passive aggressive statement (surprisingly no :P at the end)

3) Plays the victim before anyone has the opportunity to respond

Yep, it's a SolidTy post.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="King_Dodongo"]Why wasn't this stickyfied as usual? PatchMaster

Waste of forum space, not enough room with other stickies, links offsite not promoting GS views, and issues don't get that many hits/posts to justify a sticky I would imagine...it's been a longtime coming.Of course, my mere post here could motivate a sticky out of spite. :lol: :P

2) Makes unprovoked passive aggressive statement (surprisingly no :P at the end)

Irrelevant Patchmaster trolling yet again...oh holy hell, how spiteful he is, but missed that bus years ago. :roll:

Posts old-a$$ trolling attempts from 2009, as if it's original or new. CHECK

Has a nostalgic hard on still for the legendary SolidTy. CHECK

Misunderstandings balloon out of control. Post count for thread increased based on nothing. CHECK

Forgettable and pointless. (I swear, like most users I wouldn't even know who you were if you didn't ride so desperately on coat tails of higher calibre posters that trolled myself and friends. Hey, maybe you'll score brownie points for this post.) CHECK

Yep, it's a Patchmaster post.*yawn* To your credit, at least you are aiding in my insomnia. :P

This thread will now be all about me if this pattern continues. Way to go, perhaps that's the intent, to get the post count up...

Why not posting about the SWM issue like I did twice, Mr. patchmaster? What do you think about reading articles offsite? Did you like the articles? Did they make you randy? This direct enough for ya. :lol:

Is it too hard to stay on topic or to be relevant? I believe in you, and I don't want to believe what I heard about you, that is that some have said you are a virtual non contributing zero. Don't believe them son. I believe you can fly. :P

I will say this, I'm glad FTL got some recognition in the magazine...but it's no surprise as it was done by one of the better posters at Gamespot.com (id est, not a troll).

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 King_Dodongo

[QUOTE="Willy105"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

SolidTy

I never criticized for "others doing stuff for attention". You made that unrelated bit up to give yourself a false punchline, lol! That's the same technique employed for much of the articles you write as well. ;) :P I merely offered possibilities to Mr. Dodongo's question, and therefore no irony. :o If anything, I aided in getting the desired sticky using reverse psychology. :shock: (Of course, my role to that effect would also be easily and almost assuredly denied, so no worries.)

Oh I see, thnx, I imagine it will be difficult to find Willy's topics from now on.
King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 King_Dodongo
Oh blazes, didn't notice the sticky, sorry for starting a fight.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="Willy105"] Criticism about others doing stuff for attention is ironic coming from someone who always types in bold. :o

King_Dodongo

Oh I see, it will be difficult to try to find these topics from now on.

Well, it was finally stickied after our posts, so our work here is done.

If anything, I've given major impetus for many more stickies to come...so I think that should take care of it for the next few times at least. :P I may not be at Gamespot.com to help again, but feel free to use my "motivational reverse psychology template" provided above to achieve some results, and if possible create an account with a similar name to mine to get the desired effectfrom the right moderator. I can't guarantee success or even take credit, but, well today's results could speak for itself...or not as it would be denied completely. I would also link many more instances, but alas, that would be too far off topic.

I can say that I hope you enjoy reading the articles above. It's nice that gamers can come together to put work out like this, even if some of the work contains some rather potent trolling and a longstanding and very strong slant against certain factions more than others (fair I suppose considering the audience and creators). That all said, the unity is still nice to see on display.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

SolidTy

Irrelevant Patchmaster trolling yet again...oh holy hell, how spiteful he is, but missed that bus years ago. :roll:

Misunderstandings balloon out of control. Post count for thread increased based on nothing. CHECK

Forgettable and pointless. (I swear, like most users I wouldn't even know who you were if you didn't ride so desperately on coat tails of higher calibre posters that trolled myself and friends. Hey, maybe you'll score brownie points for this post.) CHECK

Yep, it's a Patchmaster post.*yawn* To your credit, at least you are aiding in my insomnia. :P

This thread will now be all about me if this pattern continues. Way to go, perhaps that's the intent, to get the post count up...

Why not posting about the SWM issue like I did twice, Mr. patchmaster? What do you think about reading articles offsite? Did you like the articles? Did they make you randy? This direct enough for ya. :lol:

Is it too hard to stay on topic or to be relevant? I believe in you, and I don't want to believe what I heard about you, that is that some have said you are a virtual non contributing zero. Don't believe them son. I believe you can fly. :P

I will say this, I'm glad FTL got some recognition in the magazine...but it's no surprise as it was done by one of the better posters at Gamespot.com (id est, not a troll).

I like how it's implied that I would want to be famous around here or something. It's an internet forum. No one is important. What are your grand contributions anyway, bro? At least Willy does something around here. Normal people would either compliment him on his work or move along. But not you, only criticism and passive aggressive remarks hidden behind smileys.

LOLNO... play victim, spread gossip, lie to people. Checkity check check. Good work.

Must be another conspiracy, right?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

PatchMaster

I like how it's implied that I would want to be famous around here or something. It's an internet forum. No one is important. What are your grand contributions anyway, bro? At least Willy does something around here. Normal people would either compliment him on his work or move along. But not you, only criticism and passive aggressive remarks hidden behind smileys.

LOLNO... play victim, spread gossip, lie to people. Checkity check check. Good work.

Must be another conspiracy, right?

Rainbow for viewing pleasure. :P

Still not talking about the SW Magazine issue, I see Patchmaster. :roll: You hang with some well known riff raff and liars, so don't talk to me about lying, lmao. That's funny, so thank you for the laugh. You seem to be very desperately throwing out anything you can think of to troll. :lol: :lol: :P

You clearly didn't see my posts talking about FTL, lol.

Heaven forbid everyone post like robots in your dream world. I'm sure in a controlled society, you would love your eyeballs lookling at your monitor to view and scroll in this thread to see a long list of "GREAT WORK...BEEP BEEP BEEP". "I HAVE NO CONTRARY OPINION ABOUT THE SUBJECT MATTER. Beep Boop."

In a forum called System Wars, controversy is abundant, differing opinions will rise, criticisms will unfortunately surface, and this is usually welcome. lol, I admit I find your efforts amusing, but I should point out they are literally a years old and completely outdated. My lord, be relevant! :lol:

Anyways, try talking about the current SW Monthly issue, sir. What did you like? So far you've said nothing on the subject. I feel graced by your constant attention giving, but I feel bad that you aren't pouring more effort into this months issue of SWM! :o

I was paid to provide entertainment for this thread, but my post counts limit is coming up. I did my job, and the citizens of System Wars will have a fresh controversy and perhaps reason to post in this thread. :P

Good day sir, and don't forget to check out the current issue of SWM. :idea: lol, conspiracy...so much you don't understand, but a juvenile and ignorant troll attempt none-the-less.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Came for the articles.

Stayed for the ruckus.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Came for the articles.

Stayed for the ruckus.

DarkLink77
I feel like theres a whole rich tapestry of backstory I've missed out on here :P Nice to see FTL getting some love though, nice article Jnyx!
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Are everyones bodies ready 

h2BCFA4C2

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

Oh Ty, I f*cking love you.

Oh and Great magazine btw!

[spoiler] :lol::P [/spoiler]

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts
I can't wait for the PS4 to be unveiled. So excited to see Infamous 3, and possibly the new Batman game on it.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Nice to see FTL getting some love though, nice article Jnyx!

Thanks, if you guys ever see any games you want me to check out I'd be more than happy. After my stint with Don't Starve and FTL getting a bit of a itch to do my reviews more frequently. Deadspace 3 is next on my list if I finish it soon. If not I might be looking at the two corpse party games for PSP, and maybe a new review of Patapon 3 (it will finally be PSV compatable in the next PS-store update) I find my opinion peices never really get much attention so I might stick to reviews for now. I should also note I may be setting myself up to do some video reviews in the next few months, depends on how well my Recordings come out.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#28 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Dat cover.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#29 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Came for the articles.

Stayed for the ruckus.

DarkLink77

Also, this should be our slogan from now on.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Came for the articles.

Stayed for the ruckus.

DraugenCP

Also, this should be our slogan from now on.

:lol:
sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sonic1564
Member since 2008 • 3265 Posts

I would laugh my @$$ off if the PS4 isn't announced tomorrow.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

sonic1564
It will be, so start you butt hurt now, that way tomorrow it wont sting so bad.
sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sonic1564
Member since 2008 • 3265 Posts

[QUOTE="sonic1564"]

Heil68

Well since Sony dropped core gaming in 2006 to go 100% movie to chase Hollywood's(lol) pot of gold, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 controller would be a blu-ray remote.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="sonic1564"]

sonic1564

Well since Sony dropped core gaming in 2006 to go 100% movie to chase Hollywood's(lol) pot of gold, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 controller would be a blu-ray remote.

Love it. Confirmed fan. #legendary.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

sonic1564

I-See-What-You-Did-There..png

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

[QUOTE="sonic1564"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"] It will be, so start you butt hurt now, that way tomorrow it wont sting so bad. Heil68

Should give him some free signed merchandise, for being such a big fan.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LadyBlue
Do you guys expect the PS4 to be big?
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Do you guys expect the PS4 to be big?Pete-B
It depends it's really all up in the air, it's yet to be seen wether the market even wants a new consol. As much as us gamers and the hardware manufacturers are all ready for the next generation we may find ourselves lost in a new market that blew us by in the large generational gap that this long life cycle has created. Personally I think the next generation systems have a war to fight, it's the war for the whole living room and whoever can control it with the most convient, reliant, expansive, and cheap method will win. Personally I think Sony has a leg up in this department it has oodles of media at it's dispoal but as with the PS3 they have shown the lethargic and compromised nature of behemoth sized companies. Kaz himself said he is focusing on bring everything together so the music, movies, TV, Game, Phone, whatever sectors of the company can cooperate with eachother. Microsoft and Sony both have massive companies backing them and at times it shows when they are slow to react to market changes due to the infastructure in place that resists such changes. For instance if the cloud gaming rumors are true and you can play your PS3/4 games on your Vita through the cloud (Even if it's a mediocre distance) I think they could bring a massive boost to next gen interest and give the Vita a well needed shot in the arm bringing it not only massive media attention but consumer sales as well. Who needs a massive library of Vita games when you can play your Current gen game library in the palm of your hand, or on the big screen. It's would be taking the Wii U gamepad to a whole new level and totally blow what little steam Nintendo has out of their sails and probably stump Microsoft with their non-existent presence in the handheld market. Sony could use it's bleeding system PS-Vita to trump the entire competition if they can make it happen.
lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#39 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

Do you guys expect the PS4 to be big?Pete-B

As long as Sony's hubris does not screw it up, then they will have so much momentum. If it could keep the crazy pace the PS3 had from the past couple years than it is going to be pretty successful. In my opinion of course.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Heil68

Clock-w0rk

i never thought of that. I'll get some merchandising ideas together ASAP. I'm sure I can give away some free samples to my most loyal of fans like Marky Mark and sonic. #goodwill.
Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

What's a PS4?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68

What's a PS4?

Shewgenja
Your lord and savior of gaming. Live, Learn and Love.
marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts

[QUOTE="Clock-w0rk"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"] Love it. Confirmed fan. #legendary. Heil68

i never thought of that. I'll get some merchandising ideas together ASAP. I'm sure I can give away some free samples to my most loyal of fans like Marky Mark and sonic. #goodwill.

yeah because i would definitely give a dumbass with a load of firearms, knives and swords my address.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
At this point, if it isn't the PS4, than I'm pretty sure an angry mob will form around any remaining Sony HQs. I'll be leading one of them.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Heil68

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="Clock-w0rk"]

marklarmer

yeah because i would definitely give a dumbass with a load of firearms, knives and swords my address.

I know how bad you would want the EEEEEEPPPPIICCCCCCc merchandise brah, set up a PO box and problem solved.
LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LadyBlue
Better specs than the rumor... yeah sony delivers yet again. :D
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44534 Posts
I didn't watch the reveal so could someone fill me in? I got a rundown of the specs and seem solid, better than rumors were suggesting, at least seem like they'll give the Xbox a run for their money (based on those rumors), so was there something else regarding the reveal that went wrong, was it a whole lot of hype for weak presentation? I YouTube'd the Killzone reveal and didn't think much of it, I mean graphically it looked amazing but in game design still kind of meh, that dangling from a rope part to me just seemed like everything wrong with FPSs these days being Michel Bay action films. Still, surely other developers will make awesome use of the hardware regardless.
rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

I fell asleep!

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6946 Posts

Non-obligatory post to let the peeps who are behind and contribute to SW Magazine know that their efforts are respected/appreciated.