Forbes: 3 reasons why Sony's Vita will crush handheld competitors

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
[Quote="Forbes"] A Google search on the PS Vita yields hundreds of stories about Sonys dual-stick, powerhouse handhelds disappointing sales. Its too expensive, lacks a decent library of games and worst of all, its irrelevant since millions of consumers play games for free on mobile phones and tablets. Truth be told, I was thisclose to selling my PS Vita for the same reasons. But now it appears Sony is ready to lay a serious smack down on competitors (and whiny gamers) thanks to three brilliant moves pulled off this week. Price drop. High price might be the biggest bone of contention for many who have considered buying the PS Vita but have been holding off, waiting for an inevitable price drop. Between the device, proprietary memory card, games and accessories, the PS Vita aint cheap, thats for sure. But now that attractive bundles are available (Call of Duty: Black Ops and Assassins Creed: Liberation for $199 on Black Friday!) its time to pull the trigger. PlayStation Plus. The recent Firmware 2.0 update now means the generous PlayStation Plus program of the PS3 extends to the PS Vita. After the firmware update, I received my Instant Game Collection I was too cheap to buy the first time around: Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, wipEout 2048 and Jet Set Radio. Nice. Games. A handheld is only as good as the games it plays and the PS Vita is now firing on all cylinders. In addition to the aforementioned, theres Persona 4 Golden, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Jetpack Joyride, Ragnarok Odyssey, a new Ratchet and Clank in January and Killzone: Mercenary to look forward to. Lets not forget about PlayStation One classics, hundreds of Minis and independent games like Retro City Rampage. Clearly, the PS Vita loves you. Now its time to love it back.

Source :lol: EDIT: Apparently, this is very literally a paid for by Sony article on Forbes. [Quote=" "]ForbesBrandVoice Connecting marketers to the Forbes audience. What is this? Forbes BrandVoice allows marketers to connect directly with the Forbes audience by enabling them to create content and participate in the conversation on the Forbes digital publishing platform. Each BrandVoice is written, edited and produced by the marketer. More on BrandVoice here , or email us directly at brandvoice@forbes.com.

Well, that probably explains it.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
:lol: was that a joke article? cause that seriously felt like i was reading a cow's forum post here in SW. The vita will continue to fail as long as Sony keeps treating it like a crappy PS3 and not a handheld
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Dont need it to crush anything, just do good enough to keep chugging along and getting games and keeping money flowing for Sony.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

been using my vita alot more lately, its a damn good machine, can't wait to get persona 4 golden. Hope the price drops helps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

been using my vita alot more lately, its a damn good machine, can't wait to get persona 4 golden. Hope the price drops helps

Chris_Williams
They really should make the price drop official. That would help a lot.
Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

If it didn't have those memory cards and was $149.99, then yeah maybe. It's not even worth that with the lackluster line up of games imo though. At least my Nexus 7 and my HTC One S can do multiple things without any issues at all. Vita's browser is just lol.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#7 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

charizard1605

ehhh they aren't going to make much profit like that. I know they did that with the PS3 but the idea is you actually make money off of it. Units solid won't mean much if you're not making money off f it. I'd argue making a new version of the vita keeping the general image of the vita but cheaper would be a better way for Sony to get out of this mess.
game_masta14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 game_masta14
Member since 2005 • 3251 Posts
Well, this is a change in news for the Vita since we've had a constant flood of doom and gloom articles.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Loved the "crash" part

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
Did he just list games :|?
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 loosingENDS

Did he just list games :|?rjdofu

He also implied we should look forward to these as well, which is the most hilarious part

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

A handheld is only as good as the games it plays and the PS Vita is now firing on all cylinders. In addition to the aforementioned, theres Persona 4 Golden, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Jetpack Joyride, Ragnarok Odyssey, a new Ratchet and Clank in January and Killzone: Mercenary to look forward to. Lets not forget about PlayStation One classics, hundreds of Minis and independent games like Retro City Rampage.Forbes

Your not making the Vita look any better Forbes.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Sony doesn't NEED a price drop what they need is god dam marketing, and GOOD marketing. Only Vita Ad I have Seen in Australia is for Lego Harry Potter:?

game_masta14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 game_masta14

Loved the "crash" part

loosingENDS
What crash part?
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#15 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

Loved the "crash" part

game_masta14
What crash part?

I think he meant "crush".
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

Loved the "crash" part

game_masta14

What crash part?

The crush one

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Reminds me of IGN and why Vita is destined to succeed and where they bashed 3DS.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
Sony won't crush anything. They need better advertising, a price drop on the system and memory cards along side ome more 3rd Party support. They're not like Nintendo. Sony can't just release a rehashed Mario game like New Super Mario Bros. 2 and get sales. They also don't have the brand name and history Nintendo does in the handheld market. Sony has to work and right now they are still focused on the PS3 and giving the PS Vita minor attention.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Delusional is the first word i thought of after reading that article. When you are doing worse than the Dreamcast, the only time the word, "Crush" and "PS Vita" should be used in the same sentence is to describe what Nintendo is doing to Sony.

game_masta14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 game_masta14

[QUOTE="game_masta14"][QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

Loved the "crash" part

loosingENDS

What crash part?

The crush one

:| :?:

sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sonic1564
Member since 2008 • 3265 Posts

Sony should stop treating it like a PS3 instead of a handheld like how they've been doing lately. That and do a price drop that adds a memory card in. If they are pricing it the same as the PS3 (maybe even more), then why bother with the vita and buy a PS3 instead?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50545 Posts
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

charizard1605

Prices already went back to normal. And I just took a glance at the games, seems fine for the Vita. Price is only reason I see it not selling. But then again, who knows.
Maneil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Maneil99
Member since 2012 • 842 Posts

Positive Opinion = Paid for? Guess I'd be mad if I bought a ' Next Gen ' System that cant play ports properly and has no online community ( LOL 187 People on BO2 )

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Games. A handheld is only as good as the games it plays and the PS Vita is now firing on all cylinders. In addition to the aforementioned, theres Persona 4 Golden, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Jetpack Joyride, Ragnarok Odyssey, a new Ratchet and Clank in January and Killzone: Mercenary to look forward to. Lets not forget about PlayStation One classics, hundreds of Minis and independent games like Retro City Rampage.Forbes
Yes, this list will surely crush the 3DS lineup next year. :roll:

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
so that's what shadowmoses' been doing.
Meeeper282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Meeeper282
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

Vita needs a price drop asap and gta game bundled with it

Plus the 3ds will most likely be nintendo's worst selling handheld

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts
I wish they redesign the controls. face buttons seems small(and i have small hands) L/R feel odd and the dual sticks dont feel nothing like the DualShocks..
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

charizard1605

A price-drop for what? For you to make a thread about how desperate Sony is? Or how you didn't know the Vita was doing so bad that Sony had to do a price-cut? :roll:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Positive Opinion = Paid for? Guess I'd be mad if I bought a ' Next Gen ' System that cant play ports properly and has no online community ( LOL 187 People on BO2 )

Maneil99
Uh dude, it's actually been paid for. Read the goddamn text on the source. Oh, and I didn't buy a Wii U, so take your passive aggressiveness elsewhere ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Gue1

A price-drop for what? For you to make a thread about how desperate Sony is? Or how you didn't know the Vita was doing so bad that Sony had to do a price-cut? :roll:

Ah, my very own stalker is in this thread. How nice. :oops: FYI, a price cut is the best move for the system. The best thing a company can do to help a failing product is to acknowledge those mistakes and then address them head on, not put its fingers in its era and pretend that everything is all fine and rosy in the hopes the problem will go away. If Sony does cut the Vita's price, I'll be there, applauding them for such an obviously correct decision.
Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

Maneil99

says the guy who doesn't own one. "hey I'll take that guys opinion as my own" I just bought BO2 on the Wii U and I have harder times getting people to ready up on the PS3 version, and the Wii U gameplay is solid

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#32 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
I curious about what the PS3/PS4 connectivity will do for the vita. Potentially, it could do a lot of the things that the wiiu does, and they claim that it can do much more because of the processors inside the vita (which the wiiu controller does not have). Imo, I doubt it simply because one of the biggest challenges that nintendo had when designing the wiiu was cutting down latency, which I doubt was much of a concern when designing the vita, and especially not the ps3. But, maybe the ps4 will do this
ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts
Sony won't crush anything. They need better advertising, a price drop on the system and memory cards along side ome more 3rd Party support. They're not like Nintendo. Sony can't just release a rehashed Mario game like New Super Mario Bros. 2 and get sales. They also don't have the brand name and history Nintendo does in the handheld market. Sony has to work and right now they are still focused on the PS3 and giving the PS Vita minor attention.FlamesOfGrey
Maybe it just me, but I think MH, MK, AC, DQ, plus all those other third party tittles helped the 3DS sell, not just a "rehash" If sony didn't think third parties were just going to show up they would not be in this mess. They should have build up their first party on the psp.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Did this guy just list Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified and freaking Jetpack Joyride (you know, that free app on Android and iOS) as serious talking points in the Vita's library? :?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Gue1

A price drop for people like me and thousands of others who have interest in the system and the games it offers yet can't afford it at the price it's at right now considering the relatively lackluster line-up? Is that so hard to understand?
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#36 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

one look at the sales will debunk this entire statment also the games to ?

what came out recently for it that i cant get on oh see my wii u ?

----cant be ac3 or cod bo

but i know quite a few games vita does not have that 3ds does have

-nsmb 2 sm3dland mariokart 7 re revelations driver renegade re mercenaries pilotwings nintendogs 2 , tales of the abyss, paper mario luigis mansion 2 , animal crossing etc

and since i got a wii u now , i dont see a reason why vita would be a threat to 3ds lol since all vita is = a less powerful wiiu/360/ps3

in fact wii u has more ram then all 3 of them

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 babycakin
[QUOTE="Maneil99"]

charizard1605
Uh dude, it's actually been paid for. Read the goddamn text on the source. Oh, and I didn't buy a Wii U, so take your passive aggressiveness elsewhere ;)

Been gone a while, you still sheep charizard? :x
HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

Maneil99

you're good at what you do.

and that's making a fool of yourself.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts
I think Vita is an excellent gaming handheld device. One that I would instantly buy had I not been so busy lately with work & having difficulties finishing the backlog of games I already own and love on my PC & consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Maneil99"]

babycakin

As much of a sheep as possible, I guess :P
babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 babycakin
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="babycakin"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Uh dude, it's actually been paid for. Read the goddamn text on the source. Oh, and I didn't buy a Wii U, so take your passive aggressiveness elsewhere ;)

As much of a sheep as possible, I guess :P

OK just catching up to speed here XD
Meeeper282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Meeeper282

one look at the sales will debunk this entire statment also the games to ?

what came out recently for it that i cant get on oh see my wii u ?

----cant be ac3 or cod bo

but i know quite a few games vita does not have that 3ds does have

-nsmb 2 sm3dland mariokart 7 re revelations driver renegade re mercenaries pilotwings nintendogs 2 , tales of the abyss, paper mario luigis mansion 2 , animal crossing etc

and since i got a wii u now , i dont see a reason why vita would be a threat to 3ds lol since all vita is = a less powerful wiiu/360/ps3

in fact wii u has more ram then all 3 of them

mariokart64fan

Another quality post from mariokart64fan

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
At this point in time with me losing all interest in the Vita, the only way I am buying one is if I can get one for about $150 as well as a 32Gb memory card for $50 or less and games that aren't just watered down console games. Until then, count me out cause my phone is more than good enough for my portable gaming.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
An awesome system the provides me an experience I can't get anywhere else. They should drop the price in time for christmas
King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
If they make a bundle with their best vita game (P4G) along with a decent memory (8 at least) at a competitive price, it shall do well in the west.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

Sony are idiots. Instead of letting a capable developer make COD: Declassified they handed it over to Nihilistic. They could have had a real system seller on their hands and they screwed it up.

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

Sony Vita is one of the best handheld ever created.

Its just a matter of time before people catch on.

I remember PS3 also had a slow start and now, its 2nd place with alot of gas left in its tank.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FlamesOfGrey

Sony are idiots. Instead of letting a capable developer make COD: Declassified they handed it over to Nihilistic. They could have had a real system seller on their hands and they screwed it up.

R4gn4r0k
You should really know what you're talking about before talking just saying. Activision gave the game to Nihilistic not Sony. Sony did not publish the game or decide who developed it. It was entirely Activision.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FlamesOfGrey
If they make a bundle with their best vita game (P4G) along with a decent memory (8 at least) at a competitive price, it shall do well in the west. King_Dodongo
That is not happening for multiple reasons. The main one being the mainstream does not know Shin Megami Tensei nor Persona. It is a niche series. All the hype is internet "core" gamer hype not mainstream hype. No casuals and the majority of gamers are buying a PS Vita for a niche JRPG.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

FlamesOfGrey

You should really know what you're talking about before talking just saying. Activision gave the game to Nihilistic not Sony. Sony did not publish the game or decide who developed it. It was entirely Activision.

For someone who pretends to know what he is talking about better than I am, you do not provide any facts. Do you have a link perhaps to back up what you said ?