A Simple Question: What Will It Take For GS to Change Their Software?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts

To make it not so glitchy. How much does it cost? I will pay for it. It cannot possibly be that much. Honestly, how much does it cost? Even if it is a couple thousand, I could donate. Only under the circumstance that I get some kind of official title here.

simonsez112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 simonsez112
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

To make it not so glitchy. How much does it cost? I will pay for it. It cannot possibly be that much. Honestly, how much does it cost? Even if it is a couple thousand, I could donate. Only under the circumstance that I get some kind of official title here.

lo_Pine

Hi lo_Pine-

My name is Simon, and I work in the development group working on GameSpot. I hear you on the glitches we have on GameSpot, and am the first to admit we have a number of existing problems. We absolutely want to address the problems on the site to give all our users a more usable, cleaner site, and the good news is we're under way on new development which will eventually replace the existing the site. The good news is that we will address many of the stability issues and produce a better site, but the bad news is this takes time and it will be a while until we can roll this out.

In the meantime any feedback, thoughts, or advice you have for us would be much appreciated! You guys are what make the site great!

-simon

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

That's great to hear, Simon. I look forward to new updates on this.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
Good to hear but will this be done before 2013? Does it mean the site will be fully integrated with Fuse?
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
That sounds awesome, thanks for the information.
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#7 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
Thanks for informing us Simon. Can you tell me will the new site be more consistent than the one we have currently? Like will the update include unions?
zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5343 Posts
Good to hear but will this be done before 2013? Does it mean the site will be fully integrated with Fuse?michaelP4
so very much this ^. i didn't quite notice when fuse was created because it was so disjointed with my usual experience, i don't even know how to get to a regular user's "old school" profile" when i'm in fuse. maybe that's just my fault, but it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out. oh, wait, i did study rocket science, but i am polish and blonde.... i think they canceled each other out somehow. but, yes, if there is a true rewrite, having these options integrated, and having a bit more control over what fuse looks like and how we surf around in it would be super sweet. everyone is so into social networking that having fuse up and running the way i would think it was intended, to be more like a social networking site (not that i would know since i'm not even on FB), would really 1up the competition ;)
simonsez112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 simonsez112
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="michaelP4"]Good to hear but will this be done before 2013? Does it mean the site will be fully integrated with Fuse?zyxe
so very much this ^. i didn't quite notice when fuse was created because it was so disjointed with my usual experience, i don't even know how to get to a regular user's "old school" profile" when i'm in fuse. maybe that's just my fault, but it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out. oh, wait, i did study rocket science, but i am polish and blonde.... i think they canceled each other out somehow. but, yes, if there is a true rewrite, having these options integrated, and having a bit more control over what fuse looks like and how we surf around in it would be super sweet. everyone is so into social networking that having fuse up and running the way i would think it was intended, to be more like a social networking site (not that i would know since i'm not even on FB), would really 1up the competition ;)

This is great feedback on Fuse.I very much agree that Fuse is not well integrated on GameSpot now - it's not easy to find on the site, and it feels much more like a separate community than an integral part of the GameSpot experience. Even the separate name draws distance between the experiences, and we recognize that we haven't done this well. The next site will focus on making sharing and social interaction a key part of the user experience, and we'll be implementing something very different from the distinct sections of the site we have now.

Unfortunately it is unlikely that we'll be complete the re-write of the site prior to 2013, although hopefully we'll be able to share some previews as we get closer to a re-launch. GameSpot is a very large site and while all want to ship as soon as we can we're very much focused on launching something that's ready.

Thanks again for your feedback - it's incredibly valuable as we work out how the new site will work!

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zyxe  Moderator
[QUOTE="simonsez112"]

[QUOTE="zyxe"][QUOTE="michaelP4"]

[QUOTE="zyxe"][QUOTE="michaelP4"]Good to hear but will this be done before 2013? Does it mean the site will be fully integrated with Fuse?simonsez112

This is great feedback on Fuse.I very much agree that Fuse is not well integrated on GameSpot now - it's not easy to find on the site, and it feels much more like a separate community than an integral part of the GameSpot experience. Even the separate name draws distance between the experiences, and we recognize that we haven't done this well. The next site will focus on making sharing and social interaction a key part of the user experience, and we'll be implementing something very different from the distinct sections of the site we have now.

Unfortunately it is unlikely that we'll be complete the re-write of the site prior to 2013, although hopefully we'll be able to share some previews as we get closer to a re-launch. GameSpot is a very large site and while all want to ship as soon as we can we're very much focused on launching something that's ready.

Thanks again for your feedback - it's incredibly valuable as we work out how the new site will work!

well, i love GS. i've been a member for years and it's never been a fad for me, so i look forward to the rewrite and relaunch when it does come. for me, as long as a rewrite isn't crucial to keeping GS alive, i'm all for having it done right. in the meantime, it's very refreshing to get honest comments from a developer, i think a lot of time there is so much legality to responding with future "promises" or direction that it keeps the users in the dark, and they in turn become frustrated and don't know that their frustrations are heard and being worked on. thank you for your candor and responses, i hope the community gets to see this and keeps GS running strong in the meantime so the relaunch can hit the ground running with a full fan-base in force.
sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

[QUOTE="zyxe"][QUOTE="michaelP4"]Good to hear but will this be done before 2013? Does it mean the site will be fully integrated with Fuse?simonsez112

Seriously keep the main site and Fuse as separate as possible,it will not go down well with the community.

EDIT:Though other than that,some cool stuff!

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
Ventured in here after getting annoyed at the site myself, and glad to see that the problems are in the process of being fixed.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#14 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Seriously keep the main site and Fuse has separate as possible,it will not go down well with the community.sexyweapons

Since it's obviously not going anywhere, I'd prefer it be better integrated. As it stands, Fuse is really unsightly. No consistency with the rest of the site. Just work some of the functionality in with the profile pages (not hard to imagine how; just add a small area for one's latest status update to be displayed and replace the current feed sidebar with a minimized Fuse feed) and it'd be fine.

If people don't like it, they don't have to use it. Seriously -- unless the new site is built solely around Fuse (and I highly doubt it will), then there's nothing to complain about. Not like anyone spends much time on their profile pages.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

If Fuse is going to be kept, then I'd like to see it handle functions similar to how the current profile does.

The friends list, privacy settings, emblems - they were all handled better on the standard profile.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#16 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

[QUOTE="sexyweapons"]Seriously keep the main site and Fuse has separate as possible,it will not go down well with the community.c_rake

Since it's obviously not going anywhere, I'd prefer it be better integrated. As it stands, Fuse is really unsightly. No consistency with the rest of the site. Just work some of the functionality in with the profile pages (not hard to imagine how; just add a small area for one's latest status update to be displayed and replace the current feed sidebar with a minimized Fuse feed) and it'd be fine.

If people don't like it, they don't have to use it. Seriously -- unless the new site is built solely around Fuse (and I highly doubt it will), then there's nothing to complain about. Not like anyone spends much time on their profile pages.

I think they're frustrated with the attention fuse gets in comparison to other components of the site. Ever since fuse was added to gamespot, users have had problems and they associate it with fuse and some of it is because of fuse if I remember correctly.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 c_rakestraw  Moderator

I think they're frustrated with the attention fuse gets in comparison to other components of the site. Ever since fuse was added to gamespot, users have had problems and they associate it with fuse and some of it is because of fuse if I remember correctly. shadowchronicle

Understandable. I just don't think it's necessary to scrap it. Whatever problems came with its arrival (no doubt due to competing code and framework, if I were to hazard a guess) will likely be rectified whenever the new site goes live.

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 zyxe  Moderator

[QUOTE="sexyweapons"]Seriously keep the main site and Fuse has separate as possible,it will not go down well with the community.c_rake

i actually spend a lot of time on my profile page, and would like to be able to find other users' standard profile pages more easily, but most links are to their fuse profiles. i like going to the standard profile, seeing the unique banners and emblems right off the bat along with their latest blogs.

If Fuse is going to be kept, then I'd like to see it handle functions similar to how the current profile does.

The friends list, privacy settings, emblems - they were all handled better on the standard profile.

topsemag55
this is more what i was thinking, having fuse work with the standard profile, or at least look a bit like it with the formatting.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 c_rakestraw  Moderator

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

zyxe

this is more what i was thinking, having fuse work with the standard profile, or at least look a bit like it with the formatting.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Just take the current profile and work all the Fuse stuff into it. Wouldn't take up much space, really. Would be better than having two distinct profile pages, at any rate.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
I hope the updated interface is more mobile-friendly on the forums since that's what I use to browse nowadays.
game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 game-ster23
Member since 2009 • 17328 Posts

Delightful news for daily users of this site. I sure hope there is much more attention on unions when its rebuilt.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#22 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
The bonk and 504 error is killing me when i post
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#23 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

I think a gradual change is for the best - been here since...well a long time and the quick changes that some times accompany a site upgrade in the past were a shock and did upset quite a few people.

as we have time to get accustomed to the integration of Lifefyre we will grow used to the new scheme and the amount of whining and grousing on the boards will decrease. by the time fuse is eventually integrated into Gamespot nobody willl realize what has happened because it will have happened over such a long period of time and Fuse has had so little attention spent on it as a seperate entity.

as to the original question - don't worry about it - they are changing but doing it so well you don't realize what is going on right in front of you

sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

considering the majority of people voted to scrap Fuse I say it should go,Gamespot should be working on fixing the existing issues and refining the existing site before dicking around with odd social features that don't fit in at all.
zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zyxe  Moderator

I think a gradual change is for the best - been here since...well a long time and the quick changes that some times accompany a site upgrade in the past were a shock and did upset quite a few people.

as we have time to get accustomed to the integration of Lifefyre we will grow used to the new scheme and the amount of whining and grousing on the boards will decrease. by the time fuse is eventually integrated into Gamespot nobody willl realize what has happened because it will have happened over such a long period of time and Fuse has had so little attention spent on it as a seperate entity.

as to the original question - don't worry about it - they are changing but doing it so well you don't realize what is going on right in front of you

iowastate

i agree with the idea that gradual change can be better, as it makes it possible to introduce and fix one feature at a time to make sure it is working properly. and yes, pretty much any change will garner some grumbling and whining as we are creatures of habit. but i think it's important that we keep asking these questions because we do not know what's going on in front of us and we want to make sure our investment in the community is being valued and that changes are coming. it is a bit worrisome when there are so many glitches that interfere with the basic day to day use of the site, and a lot of users get frustrated and want to make sure their investment isn't going to be a waste.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#28 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

Glad to hear there will be some overhauling going on GS. But might I add some thoughts on what would be nice to see. First and foremost, I want to see more profile page customization! Seriously this by far is looong overdue. Same goes for the forums; also if you do plan on keeping FUSE going--which I'm sure you all will--you actually need to do a greater job on integrating it into GS. I won't go much into this point as others have already made some awesome suggestions. I don't mind using Fuse but it feels terribly disjointed from the site....plus, don't forget to freakin' make a DARK THEME, please!

But one of the biggest things I'd like to see is this: GIVE US TOTAL ACCESS MEMBERS MORE SPECIAL OPTIONS. I mean, c'mon we ARE paying for it after all so it'd at least be nice to see more special options/better privleges given to those of us that pay.

Just few things I've been meaning to get off my chest for a while now, in terms of site improvements.:)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Last_Ride

Glad to hear there will be some overhauling going on GS. But might I add some thoughts on what would be nice to see. First and foremost, I want to see more profile page customization! Seriously this by far is looong overdue. Same goes for the forums; also if you do plan on keeping FUSE going--which I'm sure you all will--you actually need to do a greater job on integrating it into GS. I won't go much into this point as others have already made some awesome suggestions. I don't mind using Fuse but it feels terribly disjointed from the site....plus, don't forget to freakin' make a DARK THEME, please!

But one of the biggest things I'd like to see is this: GIVE US TOTAL ACCESS MEMBERS MORE SPECIAL OPTIONS. I mean, c'mon we ARE paying for it after all so it'd at least be nice to see more special options/better privleges given to those of us that pay.

Just few things I've been meaning to get off my chest for a while now, in terms of site improvements.:)

PumpkinBoogie
yeah i would like that with the profile. Also i would like for the achievments on Fuse to be better, they almost never update at least for me. The Unions should get a BIG update. Gamespot TOTALLY forgets about the unions in all and every way
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Have you ever been on a site as glitchy as this one? Ive never seen a website with no many errors and problems.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

Have you ever been on a site as glitchy as this one? Ive never seen a website with no many errors and problems.

AdamPA1006
yea i miss the forums that was in place around 05 when i joined.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Last_Ride
[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"]

jsmoke03
yea i miss the forums that was in place around 05 when i joined.

Well that time is gone, there was a big user rebellion for getting it back, but Gamespot didn't listen
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26093 Posts
The website has gotten better these past few months, less glitches and bugs (pages actually load without giving back Bonk! errors, I can actually post, etc.).