Ps3 pad leaking oil/fluid wtf?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Have not played Ps3 for like a half year and now when i picked up controller i see both analog sticks is wet/sticky. No i have not spilled anything on it. Analog sticks seem to bleed a sticky substance...

Any else got this problem?!?

I have not seen this with any of my other controllers, they are only dry and dusty, wtf is up Sony?

_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
Has happened to all of my ps3 controllers as well. When I don't use them for awhile. No idea where it comes from. They still work all the same once i wipe it off though.
pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

this is rare and ive never heard of it before. maybe the capacitor or built in batteries in the controller got over heated and started leaking. btw is the fluid leaking blackish in color. also this is not a ps3 controller thing if u leave batteries in hot places or humid places for Long periods of time they get damaged and start leaking.

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pc-ps360

Has happened to all of my ps3 controllers as well. When I don't use them for awhile. No idea where it comes from. They still work all the same once i wipe it off though._Cadbury_

weird this did not happen to me i remember i left the ps3 without use from year 2009 to mid 2010 without use and it was still brand new and everything worked perfectly

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

dualshocks come loaded with the tears of sony executives.

psn checks the stock market quotes to see whether or not to release them.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 aroxx_ab

this is rare and ive never heard of it before. maybe the capacitor or built in batteries in the controller got over heated and started leaking. btw is the fluid leaking blackish in color. also this is not a ps3 controller thing if u leave batteries in hot places or humid places for Long periods of time they get damaged and start leaking.

pc-ps360

I checked my old Sixaxis i got with my 40Gb Ps3 with no dual shock build in that i only have used once, even that one is bleeding/leaking some strange thing. On top of analog sticks it feels greasy, and down in the controller if you steering around you see it is wet...

I tried clean it with toilet paper and it is not black, and it cant be battery cuz then it had just been "inside" the controller and not reach on top of sticks.

Bah now i have to agree, 360pad>>>>>>>>> playstation controller

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts
I just checked one of my DS3's that I don't use and you're right! Wtf it has some weird sticky crap on the analog sticks wtf.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Yeah mine have that as well. They are actually tears from your controller from not being used in so long. If you play all the time, they stay nice and dry, but if they get neglected they start crying so you'll feel bad for them and buy more exclusives

todd2r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 todd2r
Member since 2009 • 2615 Posts

Riverwolf007
Lol
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Riverwolf007

Haha even I lol'd irl :lol:

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

I never had this problem.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

It's because of the power of da cell.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

Had this problem too but once u wipe it it works perfectly fine maybe its the analog oil :P.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Yeah mine have that as well. They are actually tears from your controller from not being used in so long. If you play all the time, they stay nice and dry, but if they get neglected they start crying so you'll feel bad for them and buy more exclusives

BPoole96

Your sig makes me nostalgic,I already miss Lupin,too bad he got banned :(

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pc-ps360

I just checked one of my DS3's that I don't use and you're right! Wtf it has some weird sticky crap on the analog sticks wtf.ninjapirate2000

u must have rubbed it the right way ;)

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
dont have this on mine
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Yeah mine do that too, I thought it was my sweaty thumbs accumulating in the pad, which is a possibility since I never see new controller pads like that.

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts
What the hell are you guys doing with your controllers? Probably illegal, if you ask me. :cool:
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aroxx_ab

Had this problem too but once u wipe it it works perfectly fine maybe its the analog oil :P.

Kashiwaba

It is very hard to wipe it clean so it look and feels perfect, i dont even want touch these things now...

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts
I have the same thing happen all the time. It's just the lubricant they use to keep the analog sticks moving smoothly. I just wipe it off and it's fine.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Rocker6

Already!? Damn, that is a shame. He was one of the most butt hurt users I have ever seen and I have no idea what he was even so mad about :P

D4W1L4H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 D4W1L4H
Member since 2011 • 1765 Posts

It's probably just sweat from your fingers. Not that you have dirty/greasy hands; it's natural in everyone, some more than others. If you leave your controller after long playthroughs and some sweat stays behind, dust will settle onto it and react with the rubber. I suggest using a cloth with a little bit of vinegar to clean it off. Also, it would help to store your controllers in areas where not a lot of dust will settle.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

aroxx_ab

It is very hard to wipe it clean so it look and feels perfect, i dont even want touch these things now...

get a Paper towel and put some all purpose cleaner on it then wipe it and it will be gone.

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

[QUOTE="pc-ps360"]

aroxx_ab

I checked my old Sixaxis i got with my 40Gb Ps3 with no dual shock build in that i only have used once, even that one is bleeding/leaking some strange thing. On top of analog sticks it feels greasy, and down in the controller if you steering around you see it is wet...

I tried clean it with toilet paper and it is not black, and it cant be battery cuz then it had just been "inside" the controller and not reach on top of sticks.

You spilled some mountain dew on your DS3 and that makes the 360 controller better yeah that makes a lot of sense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK_CKtYCRIc

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 aroxx_ab

I have the same thing happen all the time. It's just the lubricant they use to keep the analog sticks moving smoothly. I just wipe it off and it's fine.ChiefFreeman

Is it a way to take apart the pad and take out all lubricant? i dont what that stuff in my controllers...

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 aroxx_ab

[QUOTE="aroxx_ab"]

[QUOTE="pc-ps360"]

metal_zombie

You spilled some mountain dew on your DS3 and that makes the 360 controller better yeah that makes a lot of sense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK_CKtYCRIc

No i have not spilled anything on them, have had them stored up in a bookshelve for over 6months, and one of the controllers has been stored in a box for 5-6years...

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

Well I felt like an idiot for checking, but I just dug out an old sixaxis from a box under the bed and sure enough it had some sort of grease under the left analogue thumb rest on the stick part... but only on the left. WTF?

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts
No i have not spllied anything on them, have had them stored up in a bookshelve for over 6months, and one of the controllers has been stored in a box for 5-6years...aroxx_ab
Is there high humidity where you live could be just condensation plus some dust or dirt
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="ChiefFreeman"]I have the same thing happen all the time. It's just the lubricant they use to keep the analog sticks moving smoothly. I just wipe it off and it's fine.aroxx_ab

Is it a way to take apart the pad and take out all lubricant? i dont what that stuff in my controllers...

You'll probably fvck up your controllers then. I'm sure Sony isn't adding an extra cost for nothing and I'm positive they aren't just trying to troll you lol. Moving parts often need lubricants. Never heard of this with a controller before, but obviously its necessary for these.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 aroxx_ab

[QUOTE="aroxx_ab"]No i have not spllied anything on them, have had them stored up in a bookshelve for over 6months, and one of the controllers has been stored in a box for 5-6years...metal_zombie
Is there high humidity where you live could be just condensation plus some dust or dirt

Not dirt but plenty dust yeah, but why is this only happen to playstation controller then if that was the problem...

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

Already!? Damn, that is a shame. He was one of the most butt hurt users I have ever seen and I have no idea what he was even so mad about :P

Butthurt isn't enough to describe him.He was a...fascinating person ;)

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 aroxx_ab

[QUOTE="aroxx_ab"]

[QUOTE="ChiefFreeman"]I have the same thing happen all the time. It's just the lubricant they use to keep the analog sticks moving smoothly. I just wipe it off and it's fine.sandbox3d

You'll probably fvck up your controllers then. I'm sure Sony isn't adding an extra cost for nothing and I'm positive they aren't just trying to troll you lol. Moving parts often need lubricants. Never heard of this with a controller before, but obviously its necessary for these.

Very bad design then, we have other gamepads with analogs sticks without this crap, so it should work fine. Sony should pay Microsoft for license to copy 360pad...

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

Uhhh. Damn. I was about to say you need to keep your stuff clean, but I just checked one of my older DS3s from my entertainment center and you're not bullsh*ttin.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="aroxx_ab"]

aroxx_ab

Very bad design then, we have other gamepads with analogs sticks without this crap, so it should work fine. Sony should pay Microsoft for license to copy 360pad...

I'll agree it is pretty dumb. I've never had this issue with another controller, not even the DS2.

But I prefer the DS design to the 360 pad so screw that! :P

ChaltierX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ChaltierX
Member since 2009 • 1128 Posts

Did a Google search and came up with this.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/Oil-buildup-on-PS3-analog-sticks/td-p/6562841?start=0&tstart=0

Apparently it's oil from your body.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SaintWalrus
Member since 2011 • 1715 Posts

Sorry TC.

The Gamepad must have seen your Display photo.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sandbox3d

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/Oil-buildup-on-PS3-analog-sticks/td-p/6562841?start=0&tstart=0

ChaltierX

Yeah I read the same, but that's not it. It doesn't happen with other controllers and the buildup occurs when not in use. Beyond that the substance on the sixaxis I checked smelled like a grease typically used on mechanical parts.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

ChaltierX

Oh god. I'm glad I haven't had this happen. I guess Sony says my hygeine exceeds expectations.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

When I had my PS3 and during the PSN outage I hadn't used the console in a few weeks and I used to get the same stuff too. And on my second controller that I never used. It's weird

Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
I just checked my 2nd controller that i haven't used since a very long time, and there is nothing at all...
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I use my controller every day and having seen this, but I do have a white powder substance on the shafts to my analog sticks.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

likely its a lubricant of some kind sony has in a gel form or paste form in the analog buttons themselves. and after a while it leaks through or wears out. likely this is because sony choose to skimp out on their analog sticks and wnet with a cheap low budget parts assembly and then used liberal application of a lubricant to compensate for their shoddyness. as without it the analong stick would be even worse than it already is

its clearly worked and likely what has happened is that someone over at sonys controller assembly lines put too much lubricant gel in it or lube paste and now its starting to seep through. such things arent uncommon with many products. i had this happen once on a pc at work with a trackball. the balls lubricant was overapplied and was weeping through

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

I use my controller every day and having seen this, but I do have a white powder substance on the shafts to my analog sticks.AmazonTreeBoa
thats jsut dust

hoplayletsplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hoplayletsplay
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]I use my controller every day and having seen this, but I do have a white powder substance on the shafts to my analog sticks.ionusX

thats jsut dust

Nah, I think it's his dead skin. Btw, the sticky substance not only happened to my DS3 but also on my old DS2 and xbox pad. I'm surprise people don't already know this by now.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
It happen to my DS2 pad because someone didnt wash their hands after eating fried chicken...... however for my DS3, I bought external pad for extra grip and to protect finger acid and grease from melting analog pads
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 aroxx_ab

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]I use my controller every day and having seen this, but I do have a white powder substance on the shafts to my analog sticks.hoplayletsplay

thats jsut dust

Nah, I think it's his dead skin. Btw, the sticky substance not only happened to my DS3 but also on my old DS2 and xbox pad. I'm surprise people don't already know this by now.

Kinda hard to know when no1 speaks about it and you never had the problem yourself until now...

And here i been gaming all years thought i had hand-sweat but so wrong i has been...

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

TC got a little excited when he saw his ps3 :O

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts
That's the awesome-sauce of dipping your feet in water, grabbing the back of your TV and feeling the gigawatt of Sony awesomeness. Live it, love it, learn it. It's the only way.