RUMOR: Retro Studios Working on Metroid/Star Fox Crossover

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

-Some folk at Retro Studios wanted to develop a new ip that involved 3rd person sci-fi action with intense aerial combat.
- Others apparently were leaning towards taking the Star Fox helm.
- Nintendo sees Retro Studios as a very competent developer and worked with them in creating the hybrid title of Star Fox ? Metroid: Fusion Saga.
- The title has multiple gameplay mechanics and needed a wide staff of talent to incorporate the many ideas.
- The story begins as you control Fox McCloud and the Star Fox team on deep space mission in your Arwing, flying through a Meteos-like stage. As you enter a light speed warp, there?s a collision with an orange ship (Samus?) and the game continues with you now plummeting to a planet as Samus in her craft. You?re in mild control of her ship, using the Wii U controller to look around and touch screen press the lit up buttons to prepare for impact (while the TV stays locked on what you see out of the cockpit). You?re now on land, as a ?yet again? stripped down Samus Aran with the most basic of weapon abilities, in first person perspective, traversing through this unknown planet.
- The game switches off between intense Arwing space and planetary battles as Fox makes his way to the planet that Samus crashed on and a Metroid Prime-like experience of gameplay as Samus on this planet, gradually uncovering its mysteries, leveling up, etc.
- The Star Fox stages represent what the series is best known for, including the chatter and coming to the aid of the rest of your team, all range mode battles, and on rails stages.
- The Metroid part of the game puts you alone, void of human or any talking character contact, and like the Prime series, sees you gaining upgrades, battling bosses, and in this case, repairing your ship.
- The game is said to be epic in size, scope, ambition.
- The pacing has been perfected to not interrupt what the feeling is behind either franchise, since Star Fox is more often known for being acceptable to have short sessions with and Metroid rather the opposite. You can opt to continue playing either just Samus? part or Fox?s part without crossing over for much of the main game (or play it as it?s scripted back and forth), but will eventually have to complete both, as the characters will ultimately meet up.
- There will be later parts in the game where you do get to control Samus? ship and fly it Star Fox style.
- Likewise, Fox McCloud will be controllable by foot (both the above and this bullet point represent a period in the game after the two sides meet up) and be played via 3rd person perspective. Think of Jet Force Gemini with Fox?s known agility as he?s portrayed to having in the Smash Bros. series. (Fox will move more like Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden and less like he did in Star Fox Adventures).
- Though a tentative title, the idea behind the story of ?Fusion Saga? is both a play on the fact that the two series are fusing together into one game and of course, a storyline behind Andross using Metroids to enhance himself, his army, etc.
- Star Fox ? Metroid: Fusion Saga is wholly a satisfying adventure game as Samus, an equally electrifying aerial combat game as Fox, and something that delivers an exciting, special change that fans will love.
- In consideration was the Star Fox portion having 4 player co-op online, but instead the game will have leaderboards for time and percent complete for all parts of the game and multiplayer will be simply versus mode based.Paul Gate Network

This is the same site that leaked Playstation All Stars Battle Royale and Donkey Kong Country Returns, so...

I mean, it sounds crazy, but then again. who's to say it's crazy enough?

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Do not want

Hadouken_1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hadouken_1234
Member since 2012 • 62 Posts

Do not want

fueled-system
this, i don't think the two gameplay styles would mesh very well.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41526 Posts
A Metroid and Star Fox crossover? I can't see myself being too optimistic about this if true. They shouldn't cross unless if it's SMASH.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

Do not want

Hadouken_1234
this, i don't think the two gameplay styles would mesh very well.

Agreed, plus samus can fly her own shuttle, why add starfox crap into the game?
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Unless this was some sort of Parallel Universe Story, I don't think I would want them in the same Universe...

I have Story and Gameplay concerns.

On the positve side, at least this is RETRO and not TECMO making this game. :P

D4W1L4H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 D4W1L4H
Member since 2011 • 1765 Posts

Metroid + F - Zero > Metroid + Starfox.

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts
People suck for naysaying this As for me, it sounds like a really cool idea :D :D
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Sounds like BS. I mean Samus + Furries don't really fit together, unless StarFox and crew plan on being alien inhabitants of some planet.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nintendoboy16

D4W1L4H
I'd say Star Fox and F-Zero crossover would make more sense.
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LastRambo341

D4W1L4H
Action-Adventure + Racing > Action-Adventure+Action-Adventure? :?
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
This sounds like the most shoehorned thing ever. I can't see it appeasing either fanbase unless it takes a really goofy approach.
GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

I somehow doubt it. Not that it matters, so long as the game is good.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

...I have no problem with this.

It sounds interesting at the very least. As long as any ground misions are Samus-only, i see no reasons why it wouldn't work gameplay-wise.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

[QUOTE="D4W1L4H"]

nintendoboy16

I'd say Star Fox and F-Zero crossover would make more sense.

They hinted at F-Zero in one of Commands endings. It was weird, but fit somehow.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Weird crossover. Don't see it happening.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

Do not want

fueled-system

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Sounds like BS. I mean Samus + Furries don't really fit together, unless StarFox and crew plan on being alien inhabitants of some planet.SaltyMeatballs
Well they could still be in the same universe because their is so many different planets in the universe with so many different types of species.

Either that or that Meteos like stage is the Star Fox team getting sent to another demension.

Also I'm okay with the Star Fox characters being on the ground. Retro didn't have a shot at making a Star Fox game so they might beable to make it work great.

SpiralSmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SpiralSmile
Member since 2012 • 245 Posts
The two universes won't meld well together. Can't see this being true
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
 Lol @ people complaining. Never happy, are you guys? 1) We get two games for the price of one (they are connected, but not the same) 2) The whole thing is decidedly "massive in scope" and probably big budget 3) It features what everybody seems to have complained about Other M (lack of good first-person gameplay and too much talking) 4) It's bringing back Star Fox in it's natural state, rather than what people complained excessively about (Adventures) 5) It's being made by RETRO STUDIOS Why are there complaints? Really? We are this petty? As for Nintendo:  I'll have to get Star Fox Adventures I think if this is true.
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

Ehh, no thanks.

I'll be honest, I'd give it a try since every thing Retro has done so far has been great imo. At the very least it will have good gameplay and level design which is what matters most, but I'm not too excited for the idea of this cross over.

My dream game from Retro would be a new Yoshis Island game, or a 2d Metroid for consoles.

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LastRambo341
[QUOTE="Zeviander"] Lol @ people complaining. Never happy, are you guys? 1) We get two games for the price of one (they are connected, but not the same) 2) The whole thing is decidedly "massive in scope" and probably big budget 3) It features what everybody seems to have complained about Other M (lack of good first-person gameplay and too much talking) 4) It's bringing back Star Fox in it's natural state, rather than what people complained excessively about (Adventures) 5) It's being made by RETRO STUDIOS Why are there complaints? Really? We are this petty? As for Nintendo:  I'll have to get Star Fox Adventures I think if this is true.

I LOVED Star Fox Adventures, it was so beautiful
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
This could turn out to be the coolest f*cking thing or the dumbest idea ever. But I like Retro so I'll stay optimistic about this one.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#24 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
I will keep an open mind about this, but I do have doubts.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Gotta love stupid pre-E3 rumours.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

lawl

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Sounds pretty awesome actually but I'd rather have an individual Star Fox game than have to lump it with Metroid. Guess that's their way of trying to bring up it's sales, though I didn't know Metroid was a big seller.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Sounds pretty awesome actually but I'd rather have an individual Star Fox game than have to lump it with Metroid. Guess that's their way of trying to bring up it's sales, though I didn't know Metroid was a big seller.

Jolt_counter119
Every Metroid game sells ~1 million, at least.
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
Didn't Retro previously state that they are working on a game that everyone wanted them to do (or something to that effect)? Who in the f*ck would think of this idea let alone know it's something they want as a real game release? For the record, I think this sounds like a crazy ambitious idea, I just don't see it happening.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Didn't Retro previously state that they are working on a game that everyone wanted them to do (or something to that effect)? Who in the f*ck would think of this idea let alone know it's something they want as a real game release? For the record, I think this sounds like a crazy ambitious idea, I just don't see it happening.22Toothpicks
I think it could be because alot of people want them to make a Star Fox game and there is also a lot of people that wanted them to go back to Metroid.

This could just be Nintendo trying to get both Star Fox and Metroid fans happy with one game. It could work they did explain why they are together in the description Fox McCloud and his team went through a wormhole to another demension (The Meteos like area) then they crash into Samus.

But this game might not even be real we have to wait until E3 to find out if it is true; that is just 17 days away from Nintendo's Press Conference.

But there are also people that want them to create another DKC game. Some people want an F-Zero from Retro Studios. Also people want them to create a new IP.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
That would be AMAZING :o DO WANT!
darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 darkhadou
Member since 2003 • 649 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Just make a Star Fox game and a separate Metroid game. That will make 2 must have games on the U and not a crappy cross-over. I mean, Samus and talking frogs/rabbits??? HELL NO!
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#34 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
This is like "we listened to fan feedback, so we're doing this!" Which is awful because fans don't know what they want. I hope this is false.
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LastRambo341
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Just make a Star Fox game and a separate Metroid game. That will make 2 must have games on the U and not a crappy cross-over. I mean, Samus and talking frogs/rabbits??? HELL NO!darkhadou
Chill, its just a videogame
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nintendoboy16
[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

charizard1605

Unless you're Other M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

nintendoboy16

Unless you're Other M.

IIRC, it eventually reached a million worldwide as well.
DNAbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DNAbro
Member since 2010 • 377 Posts

If it is true it could be good. I trust Retro in making awesome games.

This could technically be "the game that everyone wants Retro to do" because a lot of people want them to do a star fox game and a lot of people want them to do a metroid game; a loophole of sorts.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19562 Posts

This is like "we listened to fan feedback, so we're doing this!" Which is awful because fans don't know what they want. I hope this is false.Haziqonfire

Ehh, I don't exactly remember the droves of fans saying "Metroid Prime was great, but needed more barrel rolls".

Anyway, this sounds...interesting? I honestly have no idea what to make of it - it could either be spectacularly awesome, or spectacularly misjudged.

...Then again, I can see the potential. Arwings vs Ridley! Samus vs Andross (well, his brain - she's good at that)!

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
crossover? the f*ck?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]This is like "we listened to fan feedback, so we're doing this!" Which is awful because fans don't know what they want. I hope this is false.Planeforger

Ehh, I don't exactly remember the droves of fans saying "Metroid Prime was great, but needed more barrel rolls".

Anyway, this sounds...interesting? I honestly have no idea what to make of it - it could either be spectacularly awesome, or spectacularly misjudged.

...Then again, I can see the potential. Arwings vs Ridley! Samus vs Andross (well, his brain - she's good at that)!

"yo dawg i herd u liek starfox and metroid, but starfox doesn't sell, so we put starfox in your metroid so you can metroid while you starfox"
TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

I really could go without a story at all to be honest, especially a crossover story, in Metroid. It sounds alright, I'm pretty doubtful though, but it is Retro. I sort of hope it is just a rumor.

It seems needless, should be two separate games, I think, the gameplay styles are so different, probably a lot of Metroid fans aren't fans of Starfox and vice versa, I know for some of people "Metroid is the only good Nintendo game.", but again even if it turns out to be a bad idea, Retro's pretty good on gameplay. I do prefer my Metroid to be its own experience though. I haven't played Starfox 64 yet, I liked Assault, and Adventures is alright.

'Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I wonder what title screen Retro will have for me.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

This is like "we listened to fan feedback, so we're doing this!" Which is awful because fans don't know what they want. I hope this is false.

Planeforger

I agree with the comedy in this post. Also, the rest of it.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#44 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

No

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Not sure how it will work...
We shall see I guess

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

Please don't do this

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

Not sure how it will work...
We shall see I guess

g0ddyX

lol you'll talk sh*t about it even if it turns out great. And the funny thing is you wont even play it to know! :lol:

You're about as predictable as loosingends.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Please keep both seperate, it's be kind of stupid. Where's Metroid 5? What happens after Fusion?? Hasn't it been almost 10 years?
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Rumor is, Retro Studios is working on everything. But if this is true, I think Retro can pull it off. They have a strong track record.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
Leave Starfox out of Metroid. Fzero's captain falcon and StarFox could work, but Metroid and Starfox? The f*ck?