Nintendo to offer Wii U cloud storage for save games and player profiles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

Nintendo will be adding a Wii U cloud storage feature for the new console sometime in 2013, according to a source. Following the trend of cloud storage, Nintendo is said to be working on a cloud storage solution for the Wii U via the new Nintendo Network. The new cloud storage option would give 512 MB of online storage to each gamer, tied to his Nintendo Network profile. The cloud storage system is said to be exclusively for save games and player profile data.

The Wii U cloud is currently in development but will launch sometime in 2013 in Japan, followed by a worldwide roll-out. Nintendo is reportedly working with Seattle, WA-based Mozy, Inc., which has been offering cloud and backup storage for consumers since 2005. A source from within Mozy tells Wii U Daily that the company was approached by Nintendo in 2010, but that work on the service began in late 2011. The Wii U cloud will be seamlessly integrated into the Wii U channels and will be tied to the specific Wii U user account.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/05/nintendo-to-offer-wii-u-cloud-storage-for-save-games-and-player-profiles/

If I find myself to be low on space I'll most likely start using it. I see that this feature could be very helpful for the Wii U.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Nintendo will be adding a Wii U cloud storage feature for the new console sometime in 2013

GameboyTroy

Complete failure if it doesn't happen at launch.

So what's Nintendo saying? That none of it's games are worth saving before then? That user profiles wont be important because they're going to change something down the line?

Cloud storage came late this generation once it was viable for a company to do it, it's viable right now and there's no excuse for Nintendo not to have it straight from the gate.

Unless they think that up to that point there wont be anything worth protecting on the new console.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Work began in late 2012? Last I checked it was May 2012 lol. So I would assume that's a typo. Anyway that site says a lot of stuff, so I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not big on cloud storage anyway, I don't use it on the 360.
GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GameboyTroy

Work began in late 2012? Last I checked it was May 2012 lol. So I would assume that's a typo. Anyway that site says a lot of stuff, so I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not big on cloud storage anyway, I don't use it on the 360. Sepewrath
I also think that is a typo. I think they mean early 2012.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sepewrath
I think its more likely they meant late 2011.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I'll be disappointed to not see a cloud service at launch, but I guess better late than never.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GameboyTroy
I think its more likely they meant late 2011. Sepewrath
You're right. They typed 2 instead of 1 by mistake.
Avatar image for Bad-School-Girl
Bad-School-Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bad-School-Girl
Member since 2010 • 880 Posts
Okay, at least give us some way to copy our games with online data (MKWii, ACCF ETC) without having to use Homebrew. Thank you.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

That's pretty cool. I don't really care when it comes out so long as it isn't a long wait. I can't imagine having no space for saves in the first couple months of owning one, and that's assuming I even get one at or around launch.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Would be a very nice feature to have, but I'll believe it when I see it. After how backwards Nintendo has been with online in the past, them taking advantage of cloud storage just doesn't seem realistic.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

"According to a source." I'm going to totally trust that without question.

I don't know why Nintendo would be gung ho about cloud storage. I think what they'll offer is something similar to iCloud, in that it simply keeps track of the stuff you've paid for and lets you download it again for free at any time with no hassle. They already do that with the 3DS.

And having a "cloud" system for profiles makes sense, too, so you can sign in on other consoles, but I wouldn't even consider that to be cloud technology.

But cloud saves? I don't see Nintendo going that route. I haven't heard many good things about it on the 360, and my own experience with cloud saves was terrible in Infinity Blade 2 on iOS. It's not very reliable and really isn't necessary for the vast majority of people. It also seems like a pretty big project that would eat a lot of resources as a free service for us. It just doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I use cloud saves on 360 all the time, never had a problem.
GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GameboyTroy

Should I post this in system wars?

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath

GameboyTroy
lol for what? This has nothing to do with the other systems and is merely an unsubstantiated rumor.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

GameboyTroy
Knock yourself out.
GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GameboyTroy
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]I think its more likely they meant late 2011. GameboyTroy
You're right. They typed 2 instead of 1 by mistake.

They edited that part of the article.