Mortal Kombat Vita Review IGN

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

http://au.vita.ign.com/articles/122/1224076p1.html

Enjoy. Good score for a console port.

Some Posatives from the review.

* The added in *Challenge Tower* creates hours of extra fun and gameplay.

* Game controls extremely well.

* Only the characters have felt a graphics hit, the rest is near on par with its console brothers.

* Stable and smooth framerate offline and online play. Small hicups with Wi-Fi, but AD-Hoc had no issues.

* All DLC is included, including all costumes.

Seems like a buy for me later down the line.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
promised myself i wouldnt get a console port... and i bought this on ps3 like a couple weeks ago as well.. if you dont have a console...this is a great pick up regardless..just not for me.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

It is good for those who want Mortal Kombat on the go. The Vita's biggest issue is that a majority of the great games for the system. Hopefully Resistance and Gravity Daze turn out to be great. Gravity Daze is great. I have already seen a good bit of that game online. It is definitely the Vita's first killer app as far as quality goes. Resistance singleplayer is cool, but the multiplat seems a little lackluster. Then again Resistance's biggest strength was always singleplayer.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

I picked it up this morning. The only complaint I have is that the characters look pretty crappy, they are kinda blurry but at least it runs at a constant 60 frames per second. Other then that, it's exactly like it is on the console but with some new kontent.

cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
My copy got despatched this morning, hopefully it comes tomorrow as im pretty excited for it! :) Was hyped for it last year on PS3 but due to financial issues i couldn't get it. Then it just got buried under everything else. Being on the Vita is perfect for me and i really couldn't care if the graphics have been downscaled.
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Yeah, I knew the graphics weren't going to be that great but a nice port nonetheless.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I'll probably pick mine up this afternoon - Future Shop has a great 'trade one' deal with a bizarre list of games. So I can toss in the ($20) Splinter Cell Trilogy and get MK Vita for free. It is sad hearing that the game does not run at the Vita's native resolution, though - though I appreciate having it run at 60fps, not utilizing that great Vita screen is criminal, and too many Vita games seem to be doing that.
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
Im just a tad disappointed it wasn't able to hold up to the ps3 version graphically and i guess i just have to get it out of my head that the vita is just a portable ps3,because it really isn't as powerful,but non the less i will be picking this up when i buy a ps vita soon.
Keiji993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Keiji993
Member since 2009 • 1059 Posts
Im just a tad disappointed it wasn't able to hold up to the ps3 version graphically and i guess i just have to get it out of my head that the vita is just a portable ps3,because it really isn't as powerful,but non the less i will be picking this up when i buy a ps vita soon.blacktorn
Have you played Rayman on the Vita? Wait until more games come out to see how powerful it really is. It's only been 3 months since its been out in America. PS: The Vita has no games....yet
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
[QUOTE="blacktorn"]Im just a tad disappointed it wasn't able to hold up to the ps3 version graphically and i guess i just have to get it out of my head that the vita is just a portable ps3,because it really isn't as powerful,but non the less i will be picking this up when i buy a ps vita soon.Keiji993
Have you played Rayman on the Vita? Wait until more games come out to see how powerful it really is. It's only been 3 months since its been out in America. PS: The Vita has no games....yet

Rayman doesn't really push the hardware though. Uncharted GA looks a lot better than this. Anyway, I tried it out on my friends Vita. Really smooth game but I'll wait for a price drop some time in the future.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I'd rather get this game on Vita than on consoles... Just need to get a Vita firat, lol.

thecreechxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thecreechxxx
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts
The graphics are a little disappointing to me, because of MVC3. MVC3 runs just as smooth and the graphics are incredible. Either way though, it is still an incredible portable game chock full of content.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DJ_Lae
Game plays really well on the Vita's dpad, and it's incredibly smooth (other than a split second after any x-ray move). It's kind of ugly, though. Character models are hideous and the compression on the cinematics is awful too, even resulting in some vertical lines. It's also VERY obviously not native resolution, which is really disappointing.
SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SaintSatan
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Game plays really well on the Vita's dpad, and it's incredibly smooth (other than a split second after any x-ray move). It's kind of ugly, though. Character models are hideous and the compression on the cinematics is awful too, even resulting in some vertical lines. It's also VERY obviously not native resolution, which is really disappointing.

Yup, this is the biggest problem. Characters look like they were ripped from a PSP version and the resolution is low. I would have rather had 40 FPS and better graphics.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DJ_Lae
Yup, this is the biggest problem. Characters look like they were ripped from a PSP version and the resolution is low. I would have rather had 40 FPS and better graphics.k3ck
I'd settle for an in-menu toggle - low res and 60fps or native res and 40 (or 30, or whatever it ended up being). Kind of like how Street Fighter and DoA switch between 60 and 30fps on the 3DS depending on whether it's in 3D mode or not.
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#16 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

It looks good, though personally I've never really gotten into fighting games.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#17 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

Importing my copy since well. i live in australia and all that. we'll say no more about that.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SaintSatan

It looks good, though personally I've never really gotten into fighting games.

SpinoRaptor24
I don't lke fighting games too much but Mortal Kombat has a lot of content like the challenge tower that even non-fighter fans will like.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Blake135

Game plays really well on the Vita's dpad, and it's incredibly smooth (other than a split second after any x-ray move). It's kind of ugly, though. Character models are hideous and the compression on the cinematics is awful too, even resulting in some vertical lines. It's also VERY obviously not native resolution, which is really disappointing.DJ_Lae

Big fan of fighting games, loved MvC3, is MK worth it in your opinion ? Never bought the console version myself. If the character models are really ugly I may pass, graphics are not a huge issue just wondering if its that much of a negative that I should wait for a price drop.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zarshack

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Game plays really well on the Vita's dpad, and it's incredibly smooth (other than a split second after any x-ray move). It's kind of ugly, though. Character models are hideous and the compression on the cinematics is awful too, even resulting in some vertical lines. It's also VERY obviously not native resolution, which is really disappointing.Blake135

Big fan of fighting games, loved MvC3, is MK worth it in your opinion ? Never bought the console version myself. If the character models are really ugly I may pass, graphics are not a huge issue just wondering if its that much of a negative that I should wait for a price drop.

go read some reviews, its getting rave reviews and many are calling it the definitive version.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
I was just a bit disappointed but overall its a smooth port. The graphics could have been better, but I'll stick to the PS3 version for that when I'm around the house.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DJ_Lae

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Game plays really well on the Vita's dpad, and it's incredibly smooth (other than a split second after any x-ray move). It's kind of ugly, though. Character models are hideous and the compression on the cinematics is awful too, even resulting in some vertical lines. It's also VERY obviously not native resolution, which is really disappointing.Blake135

As a not very big fan of fighting games I'm enjoying it a fair bit - there's a ton of content in the game. The graphics aren't great, but other than the pre fight and end taunts you never really get a solid look at how bad the character models so it's not an issue. I hear MvC3 made some more obvious changes in the porting process to the Vita such as lower resolution effects in the background, so I guess everyone's made tradeoffs of some kind. I'm liking it more than the console versions if only because when I do play fighting games I do it in small amounts and a handheld's perfect for that. Plus, it has all the DLC and a bonus challenge mode (which I haven't even touched yet).
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
I was originally dead set on waiting for it to drop on price or some type of sale on GameStop or something, but now I'm not so sure. :P
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I am very happy with the game. It looks and plays fantastic. Geez people, the graphics are more than fine. It is very easy on the eyes. The whole game is presented very well, The controls, the animations, the audio, the screen clarity and color... man i can not think of one bad thing to say about this game on Vita.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DJ_Lae

I am very happy with the game. It looks and plays fantastic. Geez people, the graphics are more than fine. It is very easy on the eyes. The whole game is presented very well, The controls, the animations, the audio, the screen clarity and color... man i can not think of one bad thing to say about this game on Vita.

Videodogg
The game's a blast, but I can't say the graphics are fine: 6P5YB.jpgD9LP8.jpg The character models are a hideous downgrade from the originals. Given that it runs well I can forgive it...except for the pre and endgame closeups.
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zarshack

6P5YB.jpgD9LP8.jpg
Looks a bit better when not blown up.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
I'll platinum uncharted before I move on. This could potentially be it. It'll be this or Resistance and I have to finish up rayman too mmh..
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Blake135

Since Australia is Gay and has banned it ill be ordering it tomorrow off a UK site. Hopefully it comes soon to beat my bordem while I wait for Reistance, then the holy grail GRAVITY !!

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

Been playing it for a few hours now, and it's true that the graphics are an obvious downgrade from the console. That cannot be disputed. However, I must point out that DJ's pics are exaggerated because they're so blown up.

The characters have less polys, they seem less vibrant in color, and the same can be said of the environments. As worrisome as that might sound, it really isn't too noticeable when playing because of the action going on. The end-game cut-scenes are pretty bad, too.

On the plus side, the game does play excellent on Vita. The ability to preform fatalities by swiping the screen is excellent. Example: One of Scorpion's fatalities is fwd, dwn, fwd triangle. You can do it that way, or, on the Vita, you can swipe fwd, dwn, fwd. That's it. You don't need to press triangle. Fatalities are much nicer to perform on the Vita, IMO.

Am I disappointed in the graphics? Yeah, I won't lie. We all know the Vita is capable of more. That being said, this is a great fighting game that translates very well to portable form. Don't let the screenshots sway you too much; the game looks much better in motion. Remember, eye pleasing 60fps doesn't show up in screenshots.

I'm very happy with buying this.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DJ_Lae
I'll accept the tradeoff of graphics versus framerate, especially in a game like this, and as a person who doesn't really care for fighting games I'm really enjoying this. Oddly enough I seem to be big on handheld fighters, as last year I quite enjoyed Dead or Alive Dimensions. I wonder if it's partially a space constraint that the models (especially the textures) look so poor, though that would be weird as I'm pretty sure Vita cards come in the standard sizes and MK is 3GB. The movies certainly suffer from compression. At least the main menus render at the Vita's actual resolution.
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts

6P5YB.jpgD9LP8.jpg
Looks a bit better when not blown up.

zarshack
I too would rather have a 30 fps clip and the character models looking awhole lot better,or like someone else posted before at least an option,also 60fps is hard to keep up while playing online matches because only the best fibre optic broadband connections can provide low enough latency for that kind of game environment
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 zarshack

Since Australia is Gay and has banned it ill be ordering it tomorrow off a UK site. Hopefully it comes soon to beat my bordem while I wait for Reistance, then the holy grail GRAVITY !!

Blake135

bought mine off ebay :P wasnt on ozgameshop the other day when i wanted to get it :(

kounterfeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kounterfeit
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts

love the game. but the graphics look good not great. cage looks terrible in the story mode as u can see in the other pictures. still a great game. for the on the go mk fan, its a must have. i just wish it was cheaper on the psn cause this is a game i will not be trading in.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Blake135

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

zarshack

bought mine off ebay :P wasnt on ozgameshop the other day when i wanted to get it :(

Yeah I know its not avilable there I asked and they said they were not going to stock it, I assume cause its banned? yet their brother website 365 games (based in the UK) allows you to buy it, So probs ordering it there.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Blake135

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

zarshack

Yeah I know its not avilable there I asked and they said they were not going to stock it, I assume cause its banned? yet their brother website 365 games (based in the UK) allows you to buy it, So probs ordering it there.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
This game delivers. The characters did take a hit on the graphics part though.
Roxas658

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Roxas658
Member since 2012 • 111 Posts
Could not wait for this game! Finally getting it this week, something to join my vita library.
damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

They had to cut down on the graphics so they could include the full game otherwise it would be twice the byte size. Just wait cuz you would have never imagined a game like FTB3, FFVII CC, or Peace Walker on the early life of the psp.

I think the review is far and just. Having the game portablely is perfect for the fighting fans out there who can practice anywhere.

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

I had gotten used t the graphics until I had to punch up a YouTube video of how to defeat Shao Khan, which used PS3 footage. Yikes.

Still love it, though.