Microsoft increases ad support on Xbox Live.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

More ads? They already had too many.

TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 TintedEyes
Member since 2009 • 4769 Posts

[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]go out of your way? its forced for almost every app now.StrongDeadlift

I dont even use apps on my 360. The console for me is solely for playing games. I turn it on, click "A" to start the game, and dont commit ANY thought to it.

I dont even have Netflix on 360, since I already have it on PS3 but even then I spend the most time watching Netflix from my Laptop anyways.

okay i was just commenting on how it's wrong to say you need to go out of your way to see ads, their impossible to avoid if you use apps

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

go out of your way? its forced for almost every app now.TintedEyes
I dont even use apps on my 360. The console for me is solely for playing games. I turn it on, click "A" to start the game, and dont commit ANY thought to it.

I dont even have Netflix on 360, since I already have it on PS3 but even then I spend the most time watching Netflix from my Laptop anyways.

okay i was just commenting on how it's wrong to say you need to go out of your way to see ads, their impossible to avoid if you use apps

i never see any on netflix, hbo go or youtube. the only ones i use
Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]go out of your way? its forced for almost every app now.TintedEyes

Just out of curiosity, how do you "know" so much about XBL if you don't even own a 360? :?
TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 TintedEyes
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="TintedEyes"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"] I dont even use apps on my 360. The console for me is solely for playing games. I turn it on, click "A" to start the game, and dont commit ANY thought to it.

you probably will soon, you think ms is just going to stop with these few apps or keep pushing and pushing?
TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 TintedEyes
[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"] I dont even use apps on my 360. The console for me is solely for playing games. I turn it on, click "A" to start the game, and dont commit ANY thought to it.

Frostbite24

Just out of curiosity, how do you "know" so much about XBL if you don't even own a 360? :?

lol
Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts

Yea, I caught myself after reading your other post. You do know what you are talking about, and my fault for disrespecting you. I just saw that walloftext of "Microsoft is teh evil illuminati" "fight teh powah" nonsense, and my moo moo senses tingled.

StrongDeadlift

It's legit man, no hard feelings. I understand, System Wars has been a cesspool of ignorance and fanboyism for many years. I don't support fanboyism so it's easy to assume that when someone attacks a company it's because they're just a fanboy of another company.

I actually used to be a huge Nintendo fanboy when I was a little kid all the way until I was like 13-14(22 now) because I grew up with NES/SNES/N64/Gamecube and it was all I knew in the world of gaming. :P I never knew what it was like to own a Sega Genesis or a PS1 or a Dreamcast. But then I eventually got tired of Nintendo's poor 3rd party support on the Gamecube and bought a PS2 and experienced what it was like to not be limited to what one company does, and I never wanted to go back. I judge games based on how good they are, not what console they're on.

I'm a PS3 owner and I don't care to own a 360 at the moment, but I feel no sense of loyalty to Sony and still play and enjoy Xbox 360 exclusives quite often at friend's and my brother's houses and I have nothing against the Xbox 360. It's a good console and I enjoy playing it every chance I get, and try to play as many of the exclusives on it I can whenever I have the chance. I just don't like Microsoft and their business tactics. That's my only problem. And I want to show them that I don't support what they're doing with fees and ads, by simply not buying their console and paying the fees and viewing their ads. If there were no mandatory fees or ads, I'd gladly own a 360 in a heartbeat and probably love it every bit as much as I love my PS3.

I don't own a Wii either, but I still play Nintendo first party games any chance I get because I grew up with Nintendo and I can never stop loving their classic franchises. I might buy a Wii to play through some of the ones I've missed so far this gen once the Wii and all of the games for it are dirt cheap. lol But until then, it's PS3/PC for now.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 mems_1224
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="TintedEyes"] okay i was just commenting on how it's wrong to say you need to go out of your way to see ads, their impossible to avoid if you use appsTintedEyes

you probably will soon, you think ms is just going to stop with these few apps or keep pushing and pushing?

oh so you dont actually know what you're talking about.....i see
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Everybody bashing Microsoft here for "ripping off" customers but: A) they still sell their products and services despite the fee B) they aren't on the verge of financial ruin.

So many Sony should learn a thing or two from their competition.

Sony taking the higher road means some massive amounts of money lost while Microsoft just rakes in the cash.

Wasdie

having a big unintegrated mess is the higher road?

having games release without chat, friends list support and in at least one case no online at all in a multiplat fighter is the higher road?

saying the higher road means an ethical choice was made, this was not about ethics, this was about sony not having the technical ability to match what ms has done online.

i'm surprised that you of all people would assign a moral value to the perennial xbl vs psn debate.

Karnage108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#210 Karnage108
Member since 2010 • 2595 Posts
Can't believe cows are still so butthurt about this.
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 Messiahbolical-

Sony taking the higher road means some massive amounts of money lost while PS3 owners save their cash.

Wasdie

Fixed.

Couldn't care less if Sony goes bankrupt. If they do, it's not because they didn't charge a fee for PSN, it's because they've been ignorant and stupid for a long time and expect their products to sell themselves.All I care about is myself and saving MY OWN money. These big multi-billion dollar corporations are making enough money off me as it is, and they probably pay most of their employees minimum wage.

I've worked for corporate big wig **** before and they tend to treat their employees like toilet paper and use them to make money while they're at the top of the food chain raking in loads of cash off the people at the bottom who work the hardest for the smallest amount of money. Corporate business sucks, and unfortunately it's almost all that exists in modern society these days. The rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer. So yeah, I don't feel bad for a corporation like Sony dying off.

They had a good run, but it's their own fault they've gone down the sh*tter and I have no sympathy for Sony, although maybe I have sympathy their small-time employees that have worked for Sony for years and years making small amounts of money despite working their asses off, and not getting the promotions or raises that they truly deserve while the corporate executives take home 2-3 extra digits a year for doing half the work. You know, the people working at a factory in an Assemply Line making those big screen TVs for them, or the people in the shipping centers busting their asses to load/unload trucks full of heavy electronics all day. THOSE are the people I truly feel bad for if Sony dies. They were nothing but Wage Slaves

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#212 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Everybody bashing Microsoft here for "ripping off" customers but: A) they still sell their products and services despite the fee B) they aren't on the verge of financial ruin.

Sony taking the higher road means some massive amounts of money lost while Microsoft just rakes in the cash.

Riverwolf007

having games release without chat, friends list support and in at least one case no online at all in a multiplat fighter is the higher road?

saying the higher road means an ethical choice was made, this was not about ethics, this was about sony not having the technical ability to match what ms has done online.

i'm surprised that you of all people would assign a moral value to the perennial xbl vs psn debate.

Exactly its not like what the PSN has any way represents the multiplayer of features of XBL let alone the PC.. XBL has cross game chat, easy UI menus with voice messages, a party system.. Seriously it seems like people haven't played much XBL.. Or simply do not play with friends on different systems.. I have played both systems well and am a PC gamer.. The PS3 service SUCKS in trying to get the kind of multiplayer XBL offers.. You want to know something telling? When I play with friends over PSN, I USE SKYPE or Vent to chat.. If the PSN actually provided these things that should be STANDARD in this day and age, I would definitely be critical toward sthe monthly fee.. But yet again PSn does not, XBL offers a service that is superior on consoles.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Thanks for actually replying with some real insight this time. I knew there were technical limitations on the PS3 but I didn't realize they were that bad. I don't understand why console manufactures like Sony do stupid stuff like the PS3's architecture. I don't even know why so many of them skimp so much on RAM. RAM is dirt cheap, you'd think they'd load the things up with it. And I never understood the point of the cell. Sure, it's powerful in some ways, but was it really so hard for them to see ahead of time that making a CPU that developers aren't familiar with was going to cause some problems when porting games over? And Sony really should've designed the PS3 with multitasking in mind more. I agree that the GUI of the PS3 is slow as hell when a game is running. It annoys the crap out of me sometimes when all I want to do is send someone a quick message in between matches on COD and it takes like 2-3 minutes to do. And me and my girlfriend would both like to be able to do cross game chat together, because we like to play games in the background when we're talking from time to time. So it's not like I don't have any complaints about the PS3, it's GUI, or PSN... it's just that I'd rather keep those issues and not spend $60 a year, that's all.Messiahbolical-

First off, on the thing about ram.....ram is dirt cheap NOW. Back when new consoles came out, it was fairly expensive (although they DID gimp alot on it. There is NO reason whatsoever for the PS3 not to have at least 2 gigs of ram).

Second, Sony is a very disorganized company, which they are only rectifying NOW, with Kaz's new "one sony" strategy. Sony used to have several different departments working on different things to the point where the right hand didnt know what the left was doing. Sony had two entirely seperate teams developing the PS3 hardware, and the software API for the platform, that didnt communicate with eachother, which is why the PS3 ended up being such a disaster early on.

Sony's hardware team didnt comunicate with game developers in what they actually wanted/needed, and in Sony's own words they "threw some hardware in a box, dropped it in their lap and said 'do something with it'".

Sony's main concern was most likely pushing Blu Ray as the standard format, and they needed the PS3 to push it. So what did they do? They shoehorned a processor developed for Blu Ray players and tacked a general purpose core on it, and stuck it in the PS3. They prolly figured, since we already developed this blu ray processor, lets just stick it in the PS3 instead of having a seperate processor for gaming. (which, while it would have cost them more money, they wouldnt have taken half the beating they took this gen).

Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Messiahbolical-
Exactly its not like what the PSN has any way represents the multiplayer of features of XBL let alone the PC.. XBL has cross game chat, easy UI menus with voice messages, a party system.. Seriously it seems like people haven't played much XBL.. Or simply do not play with friends on different systems.. I have played both systems well and am a PC gamer.. The PS3 service SUCKS in trying to get the kind of multiplayer XBL offers.. You want to know something telling? When I play with friends over PSN, I USE SKYPE or Vent to chat.. sSubZerOo
Nobody's arguing that PSN as a service is higher quality than XBL. Like I said before, why can't XBL be better than PSN AND not cost a yearly payment? What's wrong with that idea? If they're making so much money on ads, there's no excuse.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 mems_1224
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]Exactly its not like what the PSN has any way represents the multiplayer of features of XBL let alone the PC.. XBL has cross game chat, easy UI menus with voice messages, a party system.. Seriously it seems like people haven't played much XBL.. Or simply do not play with friends on different systems.. I have played both systems well and am a PC gamer.. The PS3 service SUCKS in trying to get the kind of multiplayer XBL offers.. You want to know something telling? When I play with friends over PSN, I USE SKYPE or Vent to chat.. Messiahbolical-
Nobody's arguing that PSN as a service is higher quality than XBL. Like I said before, why can't XBL be better than PSN AND not cost a yearly payment? What's wrong with that idea? If they're making so much money on ads, there's no excuse.

because you dont know how much they make and how much they have to spend to make xbl the service it is
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#216 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
The ads on the 360 are small, but they simply shouldn't be there. There is absolutely no excuse for charging a premium price for a service AND ad-funding it at the same time. This industry has always been one or the other, only Microsoft has the complete lack of shame to do both.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#217 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49567 Posts
So once again, this only affects media apps? So it'll be like Hulu Plus type ads that we see on Xbox and PS3?
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Messiahbolical-
[QUOTE="mems_1224"] because you dont know how much they make and how much they have to spend to make xbl the service it is

I know they make wayyyyyyy more than enough to not have to charge millions of people $60 a year just to allow them to access P2P game servers of games they already payed full price for.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]Exactly its not like what the PSN has any way represents the multiplayer of features of XBL let alone the PC.. XBL has cross game chat, easy UI menus with voice messages, a party system.. Seriously it seems like people haven't played much XBL.. Or simply do not play with friends on different systems.. I have played both systems well and am a PC gamer.. The PS3 service SUCKS in trying to get the kind of multiplayer XBL offers.. You want to know something telling? When I play with friends over PSN, I USE SKYPE or Vent to chat.. Messiahbolical-

BECAUSE they can? Why are games so expensive? Why are these consoles so expensive? Because they can, your an idiot if you think that this is not a business.. Its whether you feel that monthly fee is worth while.. And if console was my primary gaming platform I would say hell yes it is, its chump change.. Until we actually see some competition with the service, XBL is the superior choice. Period.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] because you dont know how much they make and how much they have to spend to make xbl the service it is

I know they make wayyyyyyy more than enough to not have to charge millions of people $60 a year just to allow them to access P2P game servers of games they already payed full price for.

Messia are you just figuring this out now, that these businesses are in for the profits? Its whether you think the service is worth the money or not.. Not whether you think they should charge or not.
Karnage108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#221 Karnage108
Member since 2010 • 2595 Posts
So once again, this only affects media apps? So it'll be like Hulu Plus type ads that we see on Xbox and PS3?Stevo_the_gamer
This is true, which people seem to be ignoring in this thread too.
TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 TintedEyes

[QUOTE="TintedEyes"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] i never see any on netflix, hbo go or youtube. the only ones i usemems_1224

What? it's still fact that they are putting new ads on apps.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 mems_1224
[QUOTE="mems_1224"] because you dont know how much they make and how much they have to spend to make xbl the service it isMessiahbolical-

proof?
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

sSubZerOo

Exactly its not like what the PSN has any way represents the multiplayer of features of XBL let alone the PC.. XBL has cross game chat, easy UI menus with voice messages, a party system.. Seriously it seems like people haven't played much XBL.. Or simply do not play with friends on different systems.. I have played both systems well and am a PC gamer.. The PS3 service SUCKS in trying to get the kind of multiplayer XBL offers.. You want to know something telling? When I play with friends over PSN, I USE SKYPE or Vent to chat.. If the PSN actually provided these things that should be STANDARD in this day and age, I would definitely be critical toward sthe monthly fee.. But yet again PSn does not, XBL offers a service that is superior on consoles.

i think the main disconnect here between cows and lems is in how you need to juggle your online friends.

i have told the story on sw a million times about how i will grab other people and take us from playing battlefield to team races in dirt to a versus or co-op match in halo or gears or whatever without ever having to break up the group and how it all is integrated into xbl and you just know the ps3 guys have no clue what you are talking about doing because the answer to that is ALWAYS without fail...."pfft! party chat lol!"

xbl was setup from the start to facilitate finding people you like to game with and making it easy for you to connect with those people and launch into games together and it is not surprising that that is not important to the ps3 only guys because if you never had a system like that you will never know you wanted it.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="TintedEyes"] you probably will soon, you think ms is just going to stop with these few apps or keep pushing and pushing?TintedEyes

so?
TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 TintedEyes
[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] oh so you dont actually know what you're talking about.....i seemems_1224

so?

so they cant be avoided if you use the apps with the new ads, the original point. lol
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 mems_1224
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="TintedEyes"]What? it's still fact that they are putting new ads on apps.TintedEyes
so?

so they cant be avoided if you use the apps with the new ads, the original point. lol

its only a few of the apps and not even on the dashboard or when you play games
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Messiahbolical-
[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] because you dont know how much they make and how much they have to spend to make xbl the service it ismems_1224

proof?

Common sense tells you that if a company like Valve can offer dedicated servers for free despite not making money on hardware sales like Microsoft does, and making far less advertising revenues then Microsoft, then Microsoft surely can afford to offer P2P gameplay for free and still make a huge profit from their massive ad deals. Look at companies like Youtube whose services are way more bandwidth demanding and require way more servers, employees, and upkeep than XBL, but don't charge a fee at all, yet are filthy rich from corporate advertising deals. Are you really naive enough to think that Microsoft doesn't make more money on advertising revenue than it takes to upkeep XBL as a service when so many other companies/services are doing the same kind of advertising stuff as on XBL without mandatory fees and making damn good profits?
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts
[QUOTE="ispeakfact"]Are actually able to see the background wallpaper at all anymore? Why even bother having themes if they are covered by ads?rasengan2552
:lol: I once saw a buddy of mine purchase and apply a Red Dead Redemption wallpaper to his dashboard and I almost burst out laughing, everything was covered.

:lol: Man the damage control is hilarious. Bu-bu-but we still have cross-game chat.
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Messiahbolical-

i think the main disconnect here between cows and lems is in how you need to juggle your online friends.

i have told the story on sw a million times about how i will grab other people and take us from playing battlefield to team races in dirt to a versus or co-op match in halo or gears or whatever without ever having to break up the group and how it all is integrated into xbl and you just know the ps3 guys have no clue what you are talking about doing because the answer to that is ALWAYS without fail...."pfft! party chat lol!"

xbl was setup from the start to facilitate finding people you like to game with and making it easy for you to connect with those people and launch into games together and it is not surprising that that is not important to the ps3 only guys because if you never had a system like that you will never know you wanted it.

Riverwolf007

I think the even bigger disconnect is that people like you don't register in your minds that it's possible to have a better service without mandatorily charging money for it, especially when you have ad revenue to still make a profit from it.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#231 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

When is the last time we heard about the amount of advertising being reduced? I do worry that it creeps into gaming. As long as it is only on M$ hardware I can just bypass it.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#232 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Oh, you have got to be sh!tting me.

Well, I suppose it's good I don't use LIVE for those services.

TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 TintedEyes

[QUOTE="TintedEyes"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] so?mems_1224

its only a few of the apps and not even on the dashboard or when you play games

I know it's a few but its still more than before and will most likely get worse, I didn't say gaes had it.

Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Messiahbolical-
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] because you dont know how much they make and how much they have to spend to make xbl the service it is

Messia are you just figuring this out now, that these businesses are in for the profits? Its whether you think the service is worth the money or not.. Not whether you think they should charge or not.

There's a difference between making profits, and just flat out milking people for every penny they can possibly get out of you. They're making profit when you buy the console, for every game you buy, every accessory you buy, any DLC you buy, every AD they put on your dashboard... isn't that enough? Do they really need the extra Billion+ dollars they make every single year just from charging for XBL fees? :roll:
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#235 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49567 Posts

There's a difference between making profits, and just flat out milking people for every penny they can possibly get out of you. They're making profit when you buy the console, for every game you buy, every accessory you buy, any DLC you buy, every AD they put on your dashboard... isn't that enough? Do they really need the extra Billion+ dollars they make every single year just from charging for XBL fees? :roll:Messiahbolical-
Marx just called, he was looking for you. :]

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

My people exploiting the gullibles.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 mems_1224
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"] I know they make wayyyyyyy more than enough to not have to charge millions of people $60 a year just to allow them to access P2P game servers of games they already payed full price for.Messiahbolical-
proof?

Common sense tells you that if a company like Valve can offer dedicated servers for free despite not making money on hardware sales like Microsoft does, and making far less advertising revenues then Microsoft, then Microsoft surely can afford to offer P2P gameplay for free and still make a huge profit from their massive ad deals. Look at companies like Youtube whose services are way more bandwidth demanding and require way more servers, employees, and upkeep than XBL, but don't charge a fee at all, yet are filthy rich from corporate advertising deals. Are you really naive enough to think that Microsoft doesn't make more money on advertising revenue than it takes to upkeep XBL as a service when so many other companies/services are doing the same kind of advertising stuff as on XBL without mandatory fees and making damn good profits?

valve doesnt have to put out a console though
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 mems_1224
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"] I know they make wayyyyyyy more than enough to not have to charge millions of people $60 a year just to allow them to access P2P game servers of games they already payed full price for.Messiahbolical-

There's a difference between making profits, and just flat out milking people for every penny they can possibly get out of you. They're making profit when you buy the console, for every game you buy, every accessory you buy, any DLC you buy, every AD they put on your dashboard... isn't that enough? Do they really need the extra Billion+ dollars they make every single year just from charging for XBL fees? :roll:

:o you mean a company wants to make as much money as they can off all theri customers???? unheard of!
ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts

Wasdie
Why even discuss the businesses practices of MS and Sony? It's not the consumers responsibility to help these co. balance their check books. That's what their financial departments are for. All we can do is continue to purchase their product if we so desire. As just a straight up consumer, we can jab at the ads on Live because you are already paying a fee to use it. I mentioned earlier about why even bother having downloadable themes on Live because they are practically covered in ads. On the PSN, you have a little ticker in the upper right hand corner, and that's it as far as ads go. You have to manually scroll to a drop down on the xmb to see them. You want a theme, no need to worry about it getting covered. Sony is having it's money troubles, and hopefully it can be fixed, but that's not our responsibility. And even with those troubles, Sony has managed to put out more high quality and award winning games than MS. Is it smart business? Who knows, but in the end, it's not our decision. We play the games. That's all we can do.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

Messiahbolical-

I think the even bigger disconnect is that people like you don't register in your minds that it's possible to have a better service without mandatorily charging money for it, especially when you have ad revenue to still make a profit from it.

i don't care about the morality of it i care about the service.

i guess what it all comes down to it is the community.

when i sit in sw and i watch a bunch of people gripe and complain and bytch constantly about xbl i know that them not being on xbl and me not having to play games with them is the best thing for me.

it is pretty clear you guys are unlikeable and you not being on xbl is a good thing for those of us that are on xbl and don't mind getting ripped off a bit as long as we are segregated from a bunch of a$$holes.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

Messiahbolical-

i don't care about the morality of it i care about the service. it is a service that i pay for that is a rip off just like a dozen other things i waste my money on and are also a rip off that i don't really need.

i guess what it all comes down to is the community.

when i sit in sw and i watch a bunch of people gripe and complain and bytch constantly about xbl ( for 7 years running) i know that them not being on xbl and me not having to play games with them is the best thing for me.

it is pretty clear you guys are unlikeable and judgemental about things you have no business being judgemental about and you not being on xbl is a good thing for those of us that are on xbl and don't mind getting ripped off a bit as long as we are segregated from a bunch of a$$holes.

Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Messiahbolical-

i don't care about the morality of it i care about the service. it is a service that i pay for that is a rip off just like a dozen other things i waste my money on and are also a rip off that i don't really need.

when i sit in sw and i watch a bunch of people gripe and complain and bytch constantly about xbl ( for 7 years running) i know that them not being on xbl and me not having to play games with them is the best thing for me.

it is pretty clear you guys are unlikeable and judgemental about things you have no business being judgemental about and you not being on xbl is a good thing for those of us that are on xbl and don't mind getting ripped off a bit as long as we are segregated from a bunch of a$$holes.

Riverwolf007

I don't care much about the morality behind it, or that you're getting ripped off, I care that I'm going to get ripped off just like you some day because of people like you supporting getting ripped off and showing the gaming industry that it's OK in our books for them to rip us off more and more all they want. It's bound to happen, because there's not enough people like me and too many people like you who just try to ignore it and let companies do whatever they want. I don't want to be sucked into that group, but I'm going to have to be eventually if I want to remain a gamer because Microsoft is leading the rest of the industry down that direction. It's just a matter of time before other companies do the exact same thing. THAT'S my problem with this whole issue. You can disagree if you want, but that's just how I feel. And come on now, being on XBL does ANYTHING but segregate you from a*sholes lmao

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 mems_1224
[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

I don't care much about the morality behind it, or that you're getting ripped off, I care that I'm going to get ripped off just like you some day because of people like you supporting getting ripped off and showing the gaming industry that it's OK in our books for them to rip us off more and more all they want. It's bound to happen, because there's not enough people like me and too many people like you who just try to ignore it and let companies do whatever they want. I don't want to be sucked into that group, but I'm going to have to be eventually if I want to remain a gamer because Microsoft is leading the rest of the industry down that direction. It's just a matter of time before other companies do the exact same thing. THAT'S my problem with this whole issue. You can disagree if you want, but that's just how I feel. And come on now, being on XBL does ANYTHING but segregate you from a*sholes lmao

then find a cheaper hobby and stop b****ing
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts
Increasing the network of paid advertisers is technically different than increasing the amount of ads. Just saying...
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts
Increasing the network of paid advertisers is technically different than increasing the amount of ads. Just saying...
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

Yea, I caught myself after reading your other post. You do know what you are talking about, and my fault for disrespecting you. I just saw that walloftext of "Microsoft is teh evil illuminati" "fight teh powah" nonsense, and my moo moo senses tingled.

Messiahbolical-

It's legit man, no hard feelings. I understand, System Wars has been a cesspool of ignorance and fanboyism for many years. I don't support fanboyism so it's easy to assume that when someone attacks a company it's because they're just a fanboy of another company.

I actually used to be a huge Nintendo fanboy when I was a little kid all the way until I was like 13-14(22 now) because I grew up with NES/SNES/N64/Gamecube and it was all I knew in the world of gaming. :P I never knew what it was like to own a Sega Genesis or a PS1 or a Dreamcast. But then I eventually got tired of Nintendo's poor 3rd party support on the Gamecube and bought a PS2 and experienced what it was like to not be limited to what one company does, and I never wanted to go back. I judge games based on how good they are, not what console they're on.

I'm a PS3 owner and I don't care to own a 360 at the moment, but I feel no sense of loyalty to Sony and still play and enjoy Xbox 360 exclusives quite often at friend's and my brother's houses and I have nothing against the Xbox 360. It's a good console and I enjoy playing it every chance I get, and try to play as many of the exclusives on it I can whenever I have the chance. I just don't like Microsoft and their business tactics. That's my only problem. And I want to show them that I don't support what they're doing with fees and ads, by simply not buying their console and paying the fees and viewing their ads. If there were no mandatory fees or ads, I'd gladly own a 360 in a heartbeat and probably love it every bit as much as I love my PS3.

I don't own a Wii either, but I still play Nintendo first party games any chance I get because I grew up with Nintendo and I can never stop loving their classic franchises. I might buy a Wii to play through some of the ones I've missed so far this gen once the Wii and all of the games for it are dirt cheap. lol But until then, it's PS3/PC for now.

lol please you are on system wars no one is buying it.
ForzaGearsFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 ForzaGearsFace
Member since 2011 • 3724 Posts

oh you mean the ads that only go on if you click on them????? wow pathetic cows are pathetic lol

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

""Common sense tells you that if a company like Valve can offer dedicated servers for free despite not making money on hardware sales like Microsoft does, and making far less advertising revenues then Microsoft, then Microsoft surely can afford to offer P2P gameplay for free and still make a huge profit from their massive ad deals.""

No common sense would tell you that most of those servers aren't run by valve, In all the games offered on steam even the valve made ones Valve themselves provides less then 1% of the servers its other companies and users that provide them, Its actually something like 80% of the servers are provided by the users.
Providing servers on PC costs no less then it does on consoles Valve doesn't provide all the servers and they make enough of a tidy profit in selling their own games and charing fee's to other game makers to run that small percentage of servers they do run, the rest are run by users or the companies of those games.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#250 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

""Common sense tells you that if a company like Valve can offer dedicated servers for free despite not making money on hardware sales like Microsoft does, and making far less advertising revenues then Microsoft, then Microsoft surely can afford to offer P2P gameplay for free and still make a huge profit from their massive ad deals.""

No common sense would tell you that most of those servers aren't run by valve, In all the games offered on steam even the valve made ones Valve themselves provides less then 1% of the servers its other companies and users that provide them, Its actually something like 80% of the servers are provided by the users.
Providing servers on PC costs no less then it does on consoles Valve doesn't provide all the servers and they make enough of a tidy profit in selling their own games and charing fee's to other game makers to run that small percentage of servers they do run, the rest are run by users or the companies of those games.

WilliamRLBaker
the thing is peer to peer on xbox is provided by the user.. Their machine, it's totally different from superior dedicated servers seen on the PC world and a select few ps3 games.