This topic is locked from further discussion.

ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2291 Posts

I'm going to need a new set of speakers. I'm fine with 2.1, but not committed to it. I'd rather not spend much more than $200~. Anyone have any suggestions?

The sound card I'll be using is:

ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006CVF

Thanks Folks! :)

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Dayton B652 speakers + Dayton DTA-1 T-Amp ($58)

300-650_s.jpg300-650_sii.jpg300-650_siv.jpg

Dayton SUB-1200 12inch subwoofer ($129)- If the 12inch is too big there is also a 10inch (Dayton SUB-1000) and 8 inch (Dayton SUB-800).

300-629_s.jpg300-629_si.jpg300-629_sii.jpg

Speaker wire to connect it all ($2)

TOTAL: $189

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Get these babies. Trade a little bass for supreme audio quality ;) You'll just annoy people with the sub anyways.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I'd focus on a nice pair first, and worry about the "sub"woofer later. Real bass is expensive.

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#5 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts
Over the years I've come to appreciate 2.1 over a superior quality 2.0 set for gaming. If it's for music, I'd take the 2.0, but for gaming I want that lower-range extension for gunfire, bombs, the rumble of an oncoming army, etc. NVIDIATI's setup is a good one. Just be sure that you have a 3.5mm male to male cable to connect your PC to the Dayton amp if one is not already included. Alternatively, you might consider the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. They're not quite as good as that Dayton setup, but they'll take up less space and it'll be a bit easier to set up, since all the instructions are included with the package. Both setups are great, though I'd personally go with NVIDIATI's if I had space. Happy gaming, Boz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Over the years I've come to appreciate 2.1 over a superior quality 2.0 set for gaming. If it's for music, I'd take the 2.0, but for gaming I want that lower-range extension for gunfire, bombs, the rumble of an oncoming army, etc. NVIDIATI's setup is a good one. Just be sure that you have a 3.5mm male to male cable to connect your PC to the Dayton amp if one is not already included. Alternatively, you might consider the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. They're not quite as good as that Dayton setup, but they'll take up less space and it'll be a bit easier to set up, since all the instructions are included with the package. Both setups are great, though I'd personally go with NVIDIATI's if I had space. Happy gaming, BozBozanimal

But a 2.1 setup at $200 is not going to get you real bass. It is gonna give you boosted frequencies around 60hz.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="Bozanimal"]Over the years I've come to appreciate 2.1 over a superior quality 2.0 set for gaming. If it's for music, I'd take the 2.0, but for gaming I want that lower-range extension for gunfire, bombs, the rumble of an oncoming army, etc. NVIDIATI's setup is a good one. Just be sure that you have a 3.5mm male to male cable to connect your PC to the Dayton amp if one is not already included. Alternatively, you might consider the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. They're not quite as good as that Dayton setup, but they'll take up less space and it'll be a bit easier to set up, since all the instructions are included with the package. Both setups are great, though I'd personally go with NVIDIATI's if I had space. Happy gaming, BozHeirren

But a 2.1 setup at $200 is not going to get you real bass. It is gonna give you boosted frequencies around 60hz.

I wouldn't doubt that Dayton sub too much, obviously it wouldn't be at the level of something like a Dayton Titanic, but it has pretty good value. If size isn't an issue it can even beat out some DIY subs at a similar price range. Specs claim it can reach down to 25Hz which is pretty good for a $129 sub.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Bozanimal"]Over the years I've come to appreciate 2.1 over a superior quality 2.0 set for gaming. If it's for music, I'd take the 2.0, but for gaming I want that lower-range extension for gunfire, bombs, the rumble of an oncoming army, etc. NVIDIATI's setup is a good one. Just be sure that you have a 3.5mm male to male cable to connect your PC to the Dayton amp if one is not already included. Alternatively, you might consider the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. They're not quite as good as that Dayton setup, but they'll take up less space and it'll be a bit easier to set up, since all the instructions are included with the package. Both setups are great, though I'd personally go with NVIDIATI's if I had space. Happy gaming, BozNVIDIATI

I wouldn't doubt that Dayton sub too much, obviously it wouldn't be at the level of something like a Dayton Titanic, but it has pretty good value. If size isn't an issue it can even beat out some DIY subs at a similar price range. Specs claim it can reach down to 25Hz which is pretty good for a $129 sub.

Companies consistently overclaim. What they don't tell you, or elaborate on, is when the sound begins to rolloff.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

Companies consistently overclaim. What they don't tell you, or elaborate on, is when the sound begins to rolloff.

The SUB-1200 is rather new, so feedback is limited, but it is an improved version of the SUB-120. The SUB-120 was already known for the ability to reach low notes without becoming a boomy mess, there is a reason these Dayton Subs are some of the best rated for <$200.

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bozanimal

Heirren
You won't get the thump of a dedicated 12" DVC sub with a thousand watt RMS amp, but you will get low-range extension that Monitors (2.0) simply cannot reproduce, as well as a little bump. Like many things in the audio world it comes down to personal preference- and budget! Happy gaming, Boz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Bozanimal

You won't get the thump of a dedicated 12" DVC sub with a thousand watt RMS amp, but you will get low-range extension that Monitors (2.0) simply cannot reproduce, as well as a little bump. Like many things in the audio world it comes down to personal preference- and budget! Happy gaming, Boz

It depends. I have a 2.0 setup that cost me $300 in parts and reaches 50hz(non ported, as well). It has more kick than most of my friends "subwoofers."

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bozanimal
It depends. I have a 2.0 setup that cost me $300 in parts and reaches 50hz(non ported, as well). It has more kick than most of my friends "subwoofers." Heirren
I will go so far as to say that - for an equivalent price - no 2.0 setup can reproduce the level of bass as can a 2.1 setup. It's physically impossible for a smaller speaker to reproduce low-level frequencies without either:
  • a large enclosure
  • multiple passive radiators
  • very high excursion
That last bullet sacrifices quality, since high-excursion cones are subject to turbulence when the voice coil reaches the edges of (and sometimes escapes) the magnetic field. A 2.1 setup also has a dedicated amplifier for the subwoofer, which is a huge issue for a 2.0 since it takes more power to move a larger voice coil. A tweeter at 5 watts can be as loud as a midrange at 15 or 20, in most cases, depending on the sensitivity of the driver. I have no doubt you've got an awesome $300 2.0 setup, but it's not going to have the rumble of a $300 2.1 setup (maybe with a transducer!). You'll just have to be happy with having superior audio fidelity. It's a tough life. :P Happy gaming, Boz
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11272 Posts

I'd focus on a nice pair first, and worry about the "sub"woofer later. Real bass is expensive.

Heirren
Actually, bass is probably the cheapest part! you can get REALLY good bass like the Cerwin-Vega setup I demoed last week. two GIANT fridge-sized speakers with 2 X 15 inch bass drivers each and a huge ass horn loaded tweeter. with not one, but TWO 21" sub woofers from the same company (Cerwin Vega) The entire system including the receiver and amplifier cost around $8000, but I honestly have a hard time IMAGINING greater bass than that. It was merely incredible how the bass shook the room like a straight nine of the richter scale, the bass thumped across the air,walls, ceiling and floor, up the sofa and into my body, then burst OUT of my ears again. 4 X 15" and 2 X 21" bass ftw! :lol: $8K is a lot of money but you can quickly spend $10,000 - $100,000 or just go nuts and spend $100K-millions, and those who do (well except for Kipnis and his 12.12 channel Snell THX Reference system with 16 x 18" subs that go down to 1hz) those who spend 6-7 figure amounts on audio don't do it for the BASS, but for dem highs and mid :)
Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]I wouldn't doubt that Dayton sub too much, obviously it wouldn't be at the level of something like a Dayton Titanic, but it has pretty good value. If size isn't an issue it can even beat out some DIY subs at a similar price range. Specs claim it can reach down to 25Hz which is pretty good for a $129 sub.

NVIDIATI

The SUB-1200 is rather new, so feedback is limited, but it is an improved version of the SUB-120. The SUB-120 was already known for the ability to reach low notes without becoming a boomy mess, there is a reason these Dayton Subs are some of the best rated for <$200.

I just bought the Sub-1200, the driver is a marked improvement over the old 120. I don't know how Dayton does it, it's a fairly big box with good heft at 45lbs. The 25hz spec claim is a bit optimistic, it can hit it...but it's very limited volume wise. What I would say is its solid down to 30hz (at which I would guess is the -3db point), the port tuning sounds about mid 30's. At max gain in the 35-45hz area it will pressurize my 2000cu in" room. It's slightly boomy, but handles itself well for how inexpensive it is. Not articulate by any means, but not offensive either. Port noise was pretty hard to obtain, the port just kept taking the air without a hint of sound, if anything you could hear the harmonic distortion when trying to pass off 20hz on it. The down firing flared port prob. helps a lot. Honestly for $150 shipped, I'm floored by it. Is it going to take on SVS, Sunfires, etc? Hell no, but it's not mean't too. What it does give is a cheap solution for those needing something that can dig a bit and give solid slam all things considered.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

[QUOTE="Bozanimal"]Over the years I've come to appreciate 2.1 over a superior quality 2.0 set for gaming. If it's for music, I'd take the 2.0, but for gaming I want that lower-range extension for gunfire, bombs, the rumble of an oncoming army, etc. NVIDIATI's setup is a good one. Just be sure that you have a 3.5mm male to male cable to connect your PC to the Dayton amp if one is not already included. Alternatively, you might consider the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. They're not quite as good as that Dayton setup, but they'll take up less space and it'll be a bit easier to set up, since all the instructions are included with the package. Both setups are great, though I'd personally go with NVIDIATI's if I had space. Happy gaming, BozHeirren

Nope using audacity generated frequency tones testing by ear I get bass extension at good volume down to 35hz before it really begins to roll off in volume compared to the rest of the sound spectrum(bear in mind human hearing gets less sensitive the lower the frequencies are so more spl is needed for the same percieved volume) on my Dayton sub 1200 not bad for a $100 sub + shipping. I highly doubt any $200 2.0 speakers that aren't bought used or custom built could match it in bass extension and raw output at the lower frquencies in the same room.

Quality of the bass is good clean and tight how I have it set up at my main listening position. If it sounds boomy or one note then its set up improperly. Beyond the cross over and gain settings the location of your sub and the postion of your main listening location makes a huge impact in how the bass will sound in both quality and decibel output.

My listening position at my computer desk puts me in the center of the room and its a bass weak zone so decibel output is not that good and I need to use a high gain on the sub to compenstate but on the plus side it is very tight and not boomy/one note bass and don't need much eq to get nice flat bass response. If I lie down on my bed which is near a wall the bass gets a huge boost in output but for my current sub position(near the corner of the room) its some of the worst sounding bass I have even heard super boomy with huge peaks in the response its actually disgusting listening to it if I use it with the same settings as my desk listening position.

Using Heavy EQ settings for my bed (for comparasion my Desk EQ settings) to lower the bass down and tame the peaks in the response it sounds alot better less boomy and not as overpowering but not as good quality as when at my desk. Where I previously had my sub when in my bed lowering the gain a bit sounded tigher and cleaner and was still very powerful impact wise.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Real bass or not - cheap subwoofers never sound good IMO. They're the sore thumb in the audio system and require a lot of attention if they're to be properly integrated into the setup. Even subwoofers costing $200 on their own for the most part aren't very satisfying to the ear. Why bother? Bookshelves have more than enough bass for movies and games IMO. Much preferable to have better imaging and sound stage to engage me in the movie than some boomy poop bass.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11272 Posts
[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Bozanimal"]Over the years I've come to appreciate 2.1 over a superior quality 2.0 set for gaming. If it's for music, I'd take the 2.0, but for gaming I want that lower-range extension for gunfire, bombs, the rumble of an oncoming army, etc. NVIDIATI's setup is a good one. Just be sure that you have a 3.5mm male to male cable to connect your PC to the Dayton amp if one is not already included. Alternatively, you might consider the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. They're not quite as good as that Dayton setup, but they'll take up less space and it'll be a bit easier to set up, since all the instructions are included with the package. Both setups are great, though I'd personally go with NVIDIATI's if I had space. Happy gaming, BozKHAndAnime

Real bass or not - cheap subwoofers never sound good IMO. They're the sore thumb in the audio system and require a lot of attention if they're to be properly integrated into the setup. Even subwoofers costing $200 on their own for the most part aren't very satisfying to the ear. Why bother? Bookshelves have more than enough bass for movies and games IMO. Much preferable to have better imaging and sound stage to engage me in the movie than some boomy poop bass.

"Even subwoofers costing $200" ? Wait wut? $200 is very, very low budget for a subwoofer, most entry level sub woofers from quality brands start at $500+