Why the Vita WILL NOT be getting a price cut anytime soon

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Noj_Leakim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Noj_Leakim
Member since 2004 • 459 Posts

I've seen quite a few people sayiing that they believe the Vita will be getting a price cut later this year, citing the 3DS situation as proof. Well if you are one of those people you should stop holding your breath. Sony WILL NOT be cutting the price of the Vita anytime soon.

Now keep in mind that Sony hasnt made any official announcements about a price cut either for or against,, but just looking at the situation theyre in is enough to see that one isnt happening. Here is why.

At the current price the PSVITA is already being sold at a loss. Sony absolutley cannot afford to cut it down even further and take an even bigger loss. This is what seperates the 3DS situation from the Vita. The 3DS when it was priced at 250$ was being sold for a substantial profit, so much so that Nintendo was able to cut the price down to 180 and they are still making a small profit from the sales.

Sony is going to have to do something about the crap Vita sales but that thing isnt a price cut. What I do expect to see however is a new market campaign, new bundles, the core model coming with a free game or something, and for Sony to start rushing killer IPs to market. The closest we may see to a price cut is Sony slightly cutting the price of the 3G model, but even then we arent going to see a Vita under $250.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
I understand what you're saying and what you mention about the 3DS still making a profit does make sense, even so I wouldn't completely rule out a price cut in the next few months. Maybe around November. I could honestly see them dropping the price by 50 dollars by then
Noj_Leakim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Noj_Leakim

An additional loss of 50$ a unit isnt small, especially when theyre already selling at a loss.Even a drop of 50$ will kill them financially. When Sony mentioned that they were going to be selling the Vita at a loss they also said that they were selling it at such a loss that if they Vita sells as they expected they would turn a profit in 3years. Now that the Vita is underperforming it will probably take them even longer to make a profit.

You also have to consider that a price cut is very risky. While the system will more than likely sell better there is no guarntee that it will sell well enough to either justify the price cut, or that sales will keep up after the inital boom. And a price cut is very permanent. If the system is still underpreforming after the price cut they will just continue to lose more and more money. Its a risk I dont think Sony is willing to take yet

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kaze_no_Mirai
I understand that but one way or another they're going to have to move units, if new marketing strategies or bundles don't help they WILL need more aggressive and risky moves. I'm not saying that I believe that there will be a price cut, I'm just not ruling out any possibilities.
ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

Have any games come out for the thing in the last month, other than MLB 12? Getting tired of seeing only the launch games everywhere I go.

RAGINGxPONY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RAGINGxPONY
Member since 2009 • 1452 Posts

What they really need to do is get some games on the thing, than it will sell.

Avatar image for LoW-MisterSeven
LoW-MisterSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LoW-MisterSeven
Member since 2012 • 153 Posts
the Vita will

I've seen quite a few people sayiing that they believe the Vita will be getting a price cut later this year, citing the 3DS situation as proof. Well if you are one of those people you should stop holding your breath. Sony WILL NOT be cutting the price of the Vita anytime soon.

Now keep in mind that Sony hasnt made any official announcements about a price cut either for or against,, but just looking at the situation theyre in is enough to see that one isnt happening. Here is why.

At the current price the PSVITA is already being sold at a loss. Sony absolutley cannot afford to cut it down even further and take an even bigger loss. This is what seperates the 3DS situation from the Vita. The 3DS when it was priced at 250$ was being sold for a substantial profit, so much so that Nintendo was able to cut the price down to 180 and they are still making a small profit from the sales.

Sony is going to have to do something about the crap Vita sales but that thing isnt a price cut. What I do expect to see however is a new market campaign, new bundles, the core model coming with a free game or something, and for Sony to start rushing killer IPs to market. The closest we may see to a price cut is Sony slightly cutting the price of the 3G model, but even then we arent going to see a Vita under $250.

Noj_Leakim

Noj_Leakim
the vita wont be getging a price cut because,unlike the 3DS no offense to Nintendo,there is TOO KUCH HIGH-TECH GIZMOS inside of the Vita to try and cut the price.The amount of money they pay for the gyroscope,cameras,touchpad,and the rest of the hardware probably costs more than 250,which is why they are probably losing money.and if they cut down the price,thats even more of a loss for Sony.Nintendo was able to profit because the 3DS's hardware was less expensive,therefore they can make more money from selling it at 250 and then 170 because they paid less than that for the stuff to make a 3DS.Sony has f'd itself over cramming too much stuff in to look "cool".But oh well.I have my vita,i'm happy,and i'm primarily a Nintendo fan so i could care less if Sony goes down :)
Rawca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rawca
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Production costs only $160 per unit. Add in marketing and RnD and im guyessing their pocketting a small profit. http://www.destructoid.com/ps-vita-3g-teardown-puts-sony-s-cost-at-159-220036.phtml
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Few things: 1. The Vita's situation in terms of sell through AND upcoming potential system sellers is MUCH MORE DIRE than 3DS's ever was 2. 3DS is NOT being sold at a profit right now, it's being sold at a loss 3. The 3DS price dropped to 170, not 180 You're just talking out of your ass. Sony has got to do SOMETHING soon to increase Vita sales. We don't know for a fact that it will be a price drop, and as you mentioned a bundle of some sort is a possibility, but I would bet money that Vita doesn't end 2012 at $249.
Noj_Leakim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Noj_Leakim

Production costs only $160 per unit. Add in marketing and RnD and im guyessing their pocketting a small profit. http://www.destructoid.com/ps-vita-3g-teardown-puts-sony-s-cost-at-159-220036.phtmlRawca

That is just an estimate made from how much the components of the Vita cost seperatly. It DOES NOT take into account R&D, manufacturing, marketing, shipping, ect.

Kaz Hirai himself said that the Vita would be sold at a large loss.http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/sony-to-sell-playstation-vita-for-a-loss-profitable-3yrs

In fact an analyst stated that the PSVITA would be sold at a $60 loss per unit.

@famicommander Yes the Vita situation is dire, and I am SO sorry that I accidentally hit the 7 key instead of the 8, but Im NOT talking out of my ass. If being sold at a $60 loss makes it so they would only be profitable in 3 years selling at a $110 dollar loss per unit sold would make it so they wouldnt be profitable for 5-6 YEARS, the entire lifespan of a console. Why would Sony cut the price to increase sales only to lose even more money and not see profit over the consoles entire lifespan? Sony isnt that desperate yet. There are still plenty of methods they can try to increase sales. Such a drastric price cut should be an absolute LAST resort.

Also there is no proof that the 3DS is selling at a loss. Unlike the Vita where Kaz Hirai straight up went and said so. The 3DS still could be selling at a small profit, there is no official statement one way or the other. but given how one of Nintendos policys has always been not to sell at a loss it is easy to assume that Nintendo wouldnt have cut the price down to that point.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 famicommander
Nintendo said in their last financial statements that they hoped to begin turning a profit on the 3DS hardware by the END of the fiscal period beginning April 2012. "I would like to begin with the product profitability of the Nintendo 3DS hardware, which has affected our profit the most for the current fiscal year. Let me first inform you that, in the first half of the next fiscal term, we are now anticipating to get out of the situation that we sell the hardware below cost."-Nintendo president Satoru Iwata Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/333707/3ds-hardware-will-be-profitable-this-year/? And as for the rest of your post... again, you don't seem to understand how much trouble the system is in.
Noj_Leakim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Noj_Leakim

Okay I was wrong about the 3DS being sold at a loss. Oh well. But that actually helps my other point. Nintendo says that the 3DS will be profitable by April 2012. Thats RIGHT NOW. The 3DS was sold at a loss for around 8 months and is NOW profitable. At its current price the Vita wont be profitable for 3 or 4 years. As I said earlier if they cut the price even further the system wont be profitable for 6 or 7 years. That would mean that the Vita would go its entire lifespan without being profitable. That is financial suicide.

I DO understand the direness of the Vitas situation, but Im looking at a bigger picture then you seem to be looking at. Your view seems to stop at increasing sales. Im looking at the future profitability of the system. The Vitas sales WOULD more than likely increase with a price cut, but the losses on each system sold would ensure that they never make a profit off the Vita, even with the increased sales. That situation is FAR more dire for Sony than the current situation of the Vita. It isnt selling right now but it still has the potential to make money eventually. There WILL NOT be a price cut anytime soon for this very reason.

LoW-MisterSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LoW-MisterSeven

Okay I was wrong about the 3DS being sold at a loss. Oh well. But that actually helps my other point. Nintendo says that the 3DS will be profitable by April 2012. Thats RIGHT NOW. The 3DS was sold at a loss for around 8 months and is NOW profitable. At its current price the Vita wont be profitable for 3 or 4 years. As I said earlier if they cut the price even further the system wont be profitable for 6 or 7 years. That would mean that the Vita would go its entire lifespan without being profitable. That is financial suicide.

I DO understand the direness of the Vitas situation, but Im looking at a bigger picture then you seem to be looking at. Your view seems to stop at increasing sales. Im looking at the future profitability of the system. The Vitas sales WOULD more than likely increase with a price cut, but the losses on each system sold would ensure that they never make a profit off the Vita, even with the increased sales. That situation is FAR more dire for Sony than the current situation of the Vita. It isnt selling right now but it still has the potential to make money eventually. There WILL NOT be a price cut anytime soon for this very reason.

Noj_Leakim
and it's more risky to make a price cut with such an advanced system because,like i said before,the hardware and stuff needed to make the vitas probably cost somewhere near $250,so Sony can't afford to build,box,and ship them at a lowered price without losing money
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
Doesn't bother me, i bought it expensive anyway
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 famicommander

Noj_Leakim
Nintendo said that it would be profitable by the END of the first half of the period BEGINNING April 2012. That makes Octobee or November a realistic profit date, but certainly not now. And again, you don't seem to understand the situation. There is no point in posturing the system for five to six years down the line if it doesn't live that long. Right now in Japan Vita is selling worse than Gamecube was at the same point in its lifespan. If the system doesn't establish a reasonable userbase soon there will be no incentive for developers to continue making games for it. The 3DS launched in a traditionally dead period of the year and Japan was devastated by the earthquake and tsunami almost immediately afterwards. Vita launched at Christmas and is still roughly 400,000 units and counting behind the pace 3DS set before the price drop. Japan is doubly important for the handheld market because most of the biggest players in the handheld industry are based in Japan. Former PSP-associated titles like Monster Hunter, Metal Gear, and Tekken have already arrived on 3DS. 3DS is currently outselling Vita 10:1 in Japan. If you were Namco, Square, SEGA, Tecmo, Konami, or Capcom why would you invest into development for a system that has a tiny userbase, isn't selling well right now, and costs way more to make games for? Sony cannot afford a wait and see approach. They don't have the brand strength, user good will, or Blu Ray trump card that they needed to guide PS3 through its early troubles. Either they drop the price soon, come up with one hell of a nice bundle, come up with an exclusive of MH/DQ/Pokemon/Mario caliber or the system dies. Sony's biggest first party franchise in Japan is Hot Shots and it didn't move units. Their biggest in the West is Uncharted and that didn't move units either. For the fifth time, you do not understand the severity of this situation. The system is literally going to cross streams with the Dreamcast in a few months if sales continue on this trajectory.
svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#16 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

[QUOTE="Noj_Leakim"]

famicommander

Nintendo said that it would be profitable by the END of the first half of the period BEGINNING April 2012. That makes Octobee or November a realistic profit date, but certainly not now. And again, you don't seem to understand the situation. There is no point in posturing the system for five to six years down the line if it doesn't live that long. Right now in Japan Vita is selling worse than Gamecube was at the same point in its lifespan. If the system doesn't establish a reasonable userbase soon there will be no incentive for developers to continue making games for it. The 3DS launched in a traditionally dead period of the year and Japan was devastated by the earthquake and tsunami almost immediately afterwards. Vita launched at Christmas and is still roughly 400,000 units and counting behind the pace 3DS set before the price drop. Japan is doubly important for the handheld market because most of the biggest players in the handheld industry are based in Japan. Former PSP-associated titles like Monster Hunter, Metal Gear, and Tekken have already arrived on 3DS. 3DS is currently outselling Vita 10:1 in Japan. If you were Namco, Square, SEGA, Tecmo, Konami, or Capcom why would you invest into development for a system that has a tiny userbase, isn't selling well right now, and costs way more to make games for? Sony cannot afford a wait and see approach. They don't have the brand strength, user good will, or Blu Ray trump card that they needed to guide PS3 through its early troubles. Either they drop the price soon, come up with one hell of a nice bundle, come up with an exclusive of MH/DQ/Pokemon/Mario caliber or the system dies. Sony's biggest first party franchise in Japan is Hot Shots and it didn't move units. Their biggest in the West is Uncharted and that didn't move units either. For the fifth time, you do not understand the severity of this situation. The system is literally going to cross streams with the Dreamcast in a few months if sales continue on this trajectory.

This. Sony has to do something and soon if system sellers in both here and Japan are not moving units as they predicted. If Sony just waits, Vita will be dead within a year. If you look at things pre-price cut for the 3DS, as others have said, things are already in worse situation for the Vita during the same time frame and that is saying something. All the hardware muscle for a portable or any system doesnt mean jack if there arent games to back it up. Sony is really in a bind.

Either they drop the price of the system, drop the price of the memory cards, produce a new portable hardware with built-in storage (as they should have done from day one), or do a really big bundle to try to entice people. Because as of right now Vita is already heading for the drain.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#17 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
They would be in a much better place if they had decided to take a loss on the memory cards, rather than the system itself.
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kaze_no_Mirai
They would be in a much better place if they had decided to take a loss on the memory cards, rather than the system itself.Granpire
Yeah this is another thing. 100 bucks for 32GB??? :?
foxfacer2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxfacer2d2
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

I ain't buyin it. it is too expensive and no games are there that i want. if it is getting cheaper and there are games on it then it is a good buy.

simple as that.

WWIAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 WWIAB
Member since 2006 • 4352 Posts

Have any games come out for the thing in the last month, other than MLB 12? Getting tired of seeing only the launch games everywhere I go.

ItsEvolution
I am a little bit sick of seeing just a few games and I also heard that MGS HD Vita won't have Peacewalker with it.......
LoW-MisterSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LoW-MisterSeven

I ain't buyin it. it is too expensive and no games are there that i want. if it is getting cheaper and there are games on it then it is a good buy.

simple as that.

foxfacer2d2
Unit 13,Super Stardust Delta,and Escape plan will keep you busy
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#22 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think the situation with the 3DS price cut was a whole other monster. People shouldn't assume the Vita will have one because the 3DS did, anyway.

SopranosFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#23 SopranosFan
Member since 2007 • 310 Posts

I honestly think that the handheld makers have shot themselves in the foot by constantly offering new versions and price cuts because every article I have seen about them one of the big comments for both is "wait for a price cut or a new model".

This is the handheld that most gamers have dreamt about for 10 years and when the price was announced everybody thought it was a great deal.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#24 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
It is a great price. The main reason people want a new model is in the hope that it will include internal storage which, at the moment, is extremely pricey.
Noj_Leakim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Noj_Leakim

[QUOTE="Noj_Leakim"]

famicommander

Now youre just making **** up about the 3DS situation. In the article YOU linked me it reads exactly this "Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said Nintendo expects to make a profit from 3DS hardware sales in the first half of its next fiscal year, which kicks off on April 1, 2012."It doesnt say anywhere that they will be making profit by the END of the fiscal year, it says in the first 1/2, with no specific date mentioned. They may not be making profit this second, but they very well could be since it is in fact now in the period of time mentioned, THE FIRST HALF OF THE FISCAL YEAR. Your prediction of profitablity by October or November in fact puts it directly in the second 1/2 of the fiscal year meaning that youre estimate is more than likely wrong. In fact my guess of them making profit now is more likely.

Now I DO UNDERSTAND THE SITUATION! Stop saying that even when Ive proven my knowledge of it several times. I knew about everything you mentioned including the 3DS outselling it 10:1 and about Monster Hunter ect.. At this point youre doing exactly what I said people shouldnt do in the first place and directly comparing it to the 3DS situation as I said when I told people to stop assuming the inevitability of the price cut based on the 3DS'.

I NEVER once said that Sony should take a wait and see approach. In fact I said in multiple posts that Sony would be trying different things to boost the Vitas sales including revamped marketing, releasing killer IPs and releasing a new bundle. Once again you arent looking at the bigger picture beyond selling more units fast to increase the install base. If the Vita is losing 110$ on each unit sold IT DOESNT MATTER how many games they sell from the increased install base, they will never dig themselves out of the money pit the Vita wouldve become. Need I remind you that it would take them at minimum 6 years for the Vita to finally become profitable with them losing so much money on each console sold. Whatever money they do recieve from the increased game sales will just immediatly go into the money pit the Vita wouldve created at this point.

As I have said MULTIPLE times by this point, new games will be announced for the Vita to encourage sales, there will be a new marketing push, and Sony will likely put out a new bundle as an incentive to buy the Vita, but THE VITA WILL NOT GET A PRICE CUT ANYTIME SOON

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 famicommander
You just won't stop digging yourself deeper, will you? First off, this statement: "Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said Nintendo expects to make a profit from 3DS hardware sales in the first half of its next fiscal year, which kicks off on April 1, 2012." It says quite clearly that the financial year KICKS OFF April 1. That means the next year begins NEXT April. Follow me? April is the fourth month of the year. Half a year is six months. Still with me? Alright, good. So what's four plus six? Ten, right. And which month is the tenth month? October? You don't say? Where is Sony going to get these killer IPs you keep talking about? The two biggest they own are Hot Shots and Uncharted and both have already failed. So obviously these killer IPs have got to come from third parties, and right now no third party in their right mind would make an exclusive mainline title for Vita. Everything you're saying is based on assumptions and wishful thinking. If they don't fix the sales NOW it's beyond stupid to worry about six years down the line. They have to save the platform or there won't be anything TO worry about in six years. I know you really want the Vita to succeed, but just saying things doesn't make them true. There's no way Vita gets to its one year anniversary at the same price it is now. Period.
Noj_Leakim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Noj_Leakim

You just won't stop digging yourself deeper, will you? First off, this statement: "Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said Nintendo expects to make a profit from 3DS hardware sales in the first half of its next fiscal year, which kicks off on April 1, 2012." It says quite clearly that the financial year KICKS OFF April 1. That means the next year begins NEXT April. Follow me? April is the fourth month of the year. Half a year is six months. Still with me? Alright, good. So what's four plus six? Ten, right. And which month is the tenth month? October? You don't say? Where is Sony going to get these killer IPs you keep talking about? The two biggest they own are Hot Shots and Uncharted and both have already failed. So obviously these killer IPs have got to come from third parties, and right now no third party in their right mind would make an exclusive mainline title for Vita. Everything you're saying is based on assumptions and wishful thinking. If they don't fix the sales NOW it's beyond stupid to worry about six years down the line. They have to save the platform or there won't be anything TO worry about in six years. I know you really want the Vita to succeed, but just saying things doesn't make them true. There's no way Vita gets to its one year anniversary at the same price it is now. Period.famicommander

God youre an idiot. Yes I know that the fiscal term starts April 1st, I even mentioned it. Exactly sixth months from April 1st is exactly October 1st. Now you said that it will be profitable in October, or November. THe SECOND 1/2 of the fiscal term six months later would therefore START on OCTOBER 1st! Stop acting like a condensending JERK when you are actually the one thats wrong.

The other thing that you are obviously ignorant about is how a buisness works. You CANT just look at the immediate future, you HAVE to look at the bigger picture, or else youll go under in no time. ONCE AGAIN selling a bunch of units really fast isnt a good thing for Sony, since they will lose money in the long run. As Ive said multiple times, a price cut isnt the only way to save a console.

As for those new games, of course they havent been announced yet. Sony is waiting for the perfect time to announce them E3, where they will have maximum press coverage and hype. Announcing a game for the Vita now would be pointless since the information will only reach a certain audience. Waiting for e3 means a MUCH larger audience will be paying attention. As for what games they could announce. God of War, Metal Gear Solid, details on the CALL OF DUTY game that was announced awhile back, Final Fantasy, Twisted Metal, a Monster Hunter game, heck maybe even Grand Theft Auto. ALL of these are system sellers, I dont know why you think that Hot Shots Golf, and Uncharted are the only things Sony can have up its sleeves.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 famicommander
I think we've covered just about all that you can process, but I'll go against my better judgment and try to keep going anyway. I said October or November would be more realistic for a profit date. Nintendo said that they hoped to turn a profit IN the period between April and October. You said they were never taking a loss in the first place, then you said they've already begun to turn a profit. Which is closer to reality? And the rest of your post is, again, wishful thinking nonsense. Sony held their Vita game heaven in Japan a few weeks ago because Japanese sales were in the toilet. The BIGGEST thing to come out of that conference was a multiplatform, delayed release port of Phantasy Star Online 2 which was only 10% complete. If Sony were desperate enough to start throwing names out there that are more than a year off, what makes you think they've got anything bigger lined up? As for your list: God of War - Very likely to be announced at E3, and definitely Sony's biggest IP left to show off, but not enough to save the system Final Fantasy - Vita is getting a delayed port of Final Fantasy X HD, which will come out much earlier on PS3. A multiplatform port isn't going to sell Vitas, and the fact that nothing else from the series has been announced should be quite telling. Call of Duty - When has Call of Duty ever been relevant on a portable, and what makes you think it would sell Vitas when every other active platform is also getting the game? CoD didn't exactly set the sales charts on fire for PSP or DS. Why would your average CoD gamer buy a Vita just to play the game when the userbase is already millions strong on PS3, PC, Xbox 360, and even Wii? Metal Gear Solid - Again, there's no chance of Vita getting an exclusive in this series. Where did the port of MGS3 go? They're getting a scaled down port of the HD Collection, but the Vita version doesn't come with Peace Walker. Again, a collection of old games because an exclusive is not a sound financial investment. Twisted Metal - The PS3 and PSP Twisted Metal games sold fine, but they're hardly system sellers. The last time the series had a million seller was 2001. Grand Theft Auto - Now we're getting somewhere. I agree that an exclusive GTA would be a big boon for the Vita. But I question the sanity of anyone who thinks Rockstar would make an exclusive GTA game for the system with LITERALLY the smallest userbase of any active platform. An exclusive just doesn't make business sense. Sorry, but just assuming third parties are going to spend millions of dollars to develop exclusives for a system with a tiny, floundering userbase and console-comparative development costs is insane. The best Vita will get until it has a respectable userbase (IF it ever does) will be scaled down HD console ports (like Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Virtua Tennis 4, UMVC3, FFX HD, MGS HD Collection, etc). Just listing games that MIGHT help the Vita is ridiculous. For those games to exist they'd have to make business sense for their respective publishers and developers. And right now, they don't.
daiyume

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 daiyume
Member since 2011 • 324 Posts

If being sold at a $60 loss makes it so they would only be profitable in 3 years selling at a $110 dollar loss per unit sold would make it so they wouldnt be profitable for 5-6 YEARS, the entire lifespan of a console.Noj_Leakim
You're forgetting that the price of tech becomes cheaper as time passes by and more advanced tech becomes available. For example, if Nintendo was making profit by selling it at $250 during its launch and lowered the price to $180 in August 2011 while the parts also became that much cheaper during that time, all Nintendo "loses" is the extra $70 it could've made by keeping it priced at $250.

The parts used to manufacture a Vita are going to be more or less the same as it is now, 5 or 6 years down the line. If it costs them $300 to produce a single Vita now, its definitely not going to cost them the same next year. If they lowered the price during the fourth quarter of this year for example, they might be breaking even when you take into account how much the cost of those parts have lowered by then. When I say breaking even, I'm talking about being able to drop the price by X amount while still maintaining the same $60 loss they are now, during the fourth quarter of this year.

That is part of why I think a price drop is very possible by the end of this year. I'll still be picking mine up regardless of a price drop or not once Gravity Rush comes out though!

Noj_Leakim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Noj_Leakim

@famicommander

Look I agree this is getting tiring but I do have valid points, and it seems you do as well. Heres the thing. I already admitted that I was misinformed about Nintendo already pulling a small profit after the price cut. That was my mistake. You said October/November and I said that they could already be making a profit since they are now in the range announced. Realistically we are probably both wrong and they will begin to profit sometime this summer, in the middle of our proposed dates.

Now about the Vita and its games. The Japanese Vita conference and whatever media coverage they recieved is NOTHING compared to E3. Wasting a bunch of reveals at something like that would be a wasted oppurtunity and more than likely they dont have much ready to announce, or much to show at this point. To put it simply Sony really was unprepared for the Vita launch in terms of game development (probably because they wanted to relase the Vita sooner to not fall too far behind the 3DS). The games theyre developing either arent ready to be shown, or they are waiting for E3 like I said earlier. About the specific games I mentioned, were just a bunch of AAA franchises Sony COULD release for the Vita. My whole point was that there is plenty left that Sony could release, in response to you saying they were screwed after the mixed reception to Uncharted and Hot Shots. Even so Ill respond to your criticisms about each series I named.

God of War- glad you agree, but dont underestimate God of War as a system seller

Final Fantasy-X as you mentioned is coming out, and the fact that its a multiplat is a shame. However it that doesnt mean that they couldnt announce another

Call of Duty- the definition of a system seller (unfortunately). While they havent recieved much love on the portables, dont forget that a Call of Duty portable game hasnt been released or hyped since before the series hit it big with MW (other than the DS releases but the DS isnt exactly the call of duty audience.) The BIGGEST change that could affect the Vitas sales is this new brand awareness. If marketed properly it could very well reach the COD audience and get them to buy the system. There is also no proof that this will be a port, and could be an entirely "original" game, especially since it is being developed by a different team and probably has been in development longer than the next console COD. Plus the dual analog sticks allow it to be played properly for the first time on a handheld. This is probably the biggest game changer in terms of the future of the VIta

Metal Gear Solid- 4 ORIGINAL games were developed for the PsP, making it not to hard to imagine that Sony and Konami are cooking something up for its succesor.

Grand Theft Auto- Nobody said it had to be an exclusive. A "stories" version of GTA4 would be eaten up by fans.

Twisted Metal- agree with you here, its not exactly a system seller but it IS a franchise worth mentioning

My whole point with ALL this has always been that there are plenty of other options Sony has to consider before commiting financial suicide by dropping its price. Youve never exactly come up with a solution to the whole digging themselves into a whole by selling the Vita at a $110 dollar loss, other than saying that they have no other choice, which as Ive said all along they have plenty. The price drop is the LAST option Sony should be considering.

Thats the difference between you and I. You already believe they should be jumping ship, while I think they have plenty of options left to fix their situation before going down with it. I will say though that If they do everything Ive predicted (game announcements,marketing,bundles) and its sales havent improved by the end of the year. A price drop WILL happen. Probably mid next year,.

@daiyume

I had considered how tech becomes cheaper when I made my original argument. I still stick with the 6 years thing. When Sony made 3 years until profitability announcement that assume they wouldve accounteed for that factor. That was made under the assumption that the Vita would be selling moderatly well. Given the crap sales of the Vita so far that profitability analysis is probably 4 years or more to become profitable at the current $60 loss. If I hadnt accounted for the lower cost of tech I wouldve said that they would be profitable in 7-8 years at the $110 dollar loss.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
Check out Japan's latest numbers. In a few weeks it will be at the level of Xbox 360. By xmas the Vita will be $180 *with* a card, guaranteed. Sorry to anyone who spent around $300
ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

Boring argument is boring. The Vita needs compelling games, not a price cut.

CrazyUkrainian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CrazyUkrainian

ItsEvolution
Agreed. I have a strange feeling that most people who say that Vita needs a price cut are not even old enough to get a job. Also, I saw a guy on a separate thread saying that Vita is too expensive and he would rather play on his iPad, on which he was typing up that stupid comment. (i.e. iPad is much more expensive than a Vita, and don't get me started with the prices of games. You get what you pay for in that department.) I really don't get these people. Technology has always moved forward at a very fast pace (although the hardware will stall in the next 10 years [at least with current transistor tech], speaking from my professional experience as a computer engineer) and if you keep waiting for a better and cheaper version of the current thing, you will never get it. Companies will just keep coming out with newer hardware. Standard---->Lite---->Lite with a bigger screen ----->Lite with different colors
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

[QUOTE="ItsEvolution"]

CrazyUkrainian

Agreed. I have a strange feeling that most people who say that Vita needs a price cut are not even old enough to get a job.

So what? I think that'd also be true of people who got a 3DS. If the Vita only wants to appeal to people old enough to have a job, it will fail.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 famicommander

ItsEvolution
Where are these compelling games going to come from? What third party would find the Vita an attractive system to make exclusives for? Without a drastic measure to increase the userbase quickly, the system will die. Sony has already blown their wad with their two biggest exclusive series (Uncharted in the West and Hot Shots in Japan). They have to find a way to make this system appealing for developers because right now, it isn't. The userbase is tiny, the sales are terrible on a week to week basis, the platform is far more expensive to develop for than 3DS/iOS/Android/DS/PSP, and there is very little announced that stands much of a chance at moving hardware. This is the fallacy that most Vita optimists run into. Sony is not in the financial position to guide the Vita through these rough years like they were with the PS3, and they also had a lot more riding on the PS3's success (like the format war). The company projects that it will lose over six billion dollars this fiscal year and they just cut 10,000 jobs. Either they save the Vita at E3 and TGS or it dies.
foxfacer2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 foxfacer2d2

I just don't get Sony.

Why would they sell a handheld console which is so expensive and it doesn't even make a profit?

moreover, it didn't even sold well even now. Could it be that Sony is filthy rich to make losses like these?

I just don't get this marketing stuff mumbo jumbo that is why there was a degree in college for it to fully understand.

CrazyUkrainian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CrazyUkrainian

[QUOTE="CrazyUkrainian"][QUOTE="ItsEvolution"]

Audacitron

Agreed. I have a strange feeling that most people who say that Vita needs a price cut are not even old enough to get a job.

So what? I think that'd also be true of people who got a 3DS. If the Vita only wants to appeal to people old enough to have a job, it will fail.

So they are not the ones who are going to be buying the damn thing. They make themselves sound like actual customers when they don't represent the views of the people with the money to spend.
CrazyUkrainian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CrazyUkrainian
Their restructuring strategy involves a bigger emphasis on games, mobile devices and digital content. My bet is that they are saving all of their game announcements for E3 (maybe even make a portion of them available on the day of their announcement). There is also supposed to be something happening on April 19. It is rumored that God of War 4 will be announced for Vita and PS3, or something of that sort.
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Kaze_no_Mirai
[QUOTE="Audacitron"]

[QUOTE="CrazyUkrainian"] Agreed. I have a strange feeling that most people who say that Vita needs a price cut are not even old enough to get a job. CrazyUkrainian

So they are not the ones who are going to be buying the damn thing. They make themselves sound like actual customers when they don't represent the views of the people with the money to spend.

I have a job and I bought it already and I think that it needs a price cut :?
foxfacer2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 foxfacer2d2

price cuts will always be good no matter what for the consumers hoping to plan on buying a vita.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Sony could at least start including a PSvita memory card with every PSvita. A Price cut will not happen for at least 2 years.

foxfacer2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxfacer2d2

I just hope that when sony sells the ps vita at a loss, they won't be laying off workers since we all know that none of it making since selling it at a loss.

they should have made the ps vita price like 350$ and then have a price cut to 250$ maybe that would confuse some that there was a price cut.

ChibiXRiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ChibiXRiku
Member since 2010 • 213 Posts

The bottom line is the Vita is failing, hard. Something needs to be done about it and Sony may have their hands tied soon if not already. I wouldn't hold my breath.

GameFailed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 GameFailed
Member since 2009 • 109 Posts

Sounds trivial, but I think lowering the price of the memory cards would make a substantial difference. This surely is the smartest thing for Sony to do as the production costs for those cards has to be a fraction of what they're charging. Seriously if they brought the 4gb cards down from $20 to under $10 (Closer to the price of the standard non-proprietary card) I, and I'm sure many other potential customers would feel more inclinded to buy a vita.

Avatar image for TwighlightBlade
TwighlightBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TwighlightBlade
Member since 2012 • 872 Posts

Noj_Leakim
Wow. Intelligence does exist here. They'll only drop it if the sales are just terrible. What they need to drop is the memory card prices.
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

[QUOTE="Audacitron"]

[QUOTE="CrazyUkrainian"] Agreed. I have a strange feeling that most people who say that Vita needs a price cut are not even old enough to get a job. CrazyUkrainian

Well I'm sure their parents wish it was more expensive. Not.

Even when kids aren't spending their own money, they still have to convince their parents. Maybe your parents have unlimited funds, or caved in to your every whim but most do not.