Gaming at 30fps (double frames,stuttering) PC and question about Hz

This topic is locked from further discussion.

laimis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 laimis911
Member since 2010 • 41 Posts

Hi.
1) I notice that playing at 30 or below 50fps most games makes double frames,when i rotate camera the image is very unclear and it looks like two same frames are displayed at the same time or maybe last frame is still not cleared from the monitor and another goes on top. Why this is happening?Is there any solution to avoid this ? another thing I notice when playing on a console at 30fps "double frame effect" are far less noticeable.
here i made a good example of "double frames" or whatever it is . At the beginning you will see 60fps then 30fps and again 60fps

http://dc117.2shared.com/download/1oiW1udn/Skyrim60fps30fps60fps.mp4?tsid=20120214-123004-91187dc6

if link not working try this

http://www.mediafire.com/?j0jfzowyp5rzve4

2) second question is . why when I'm playing at 50Hz I'm getting 50fps,when at 60Hz=60fps but when at 30Hz I'm getting 60fps not 30fps ?

seercirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 seercirra
Member since 2012 • 311 Posts

i doubt many people want to download random files. id suggest putting the vid on youtube and giving a link.

laimis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 laimis911

I have tried to put my vid on youtube ,but youtube cuts frames and there is no difference in my vid 60fps or 30fps,it looks the same like i was recording all video at 30frames .

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Youtube only supports 30fps

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

Hi.
1) I notice that playing at 30 or below 50fps most games makes double frames,when i rotate camera the image is very unclear and it looks like two same frames are displayed at the same time or maybe last frame is still not cleared from the monitor and another goes on top. Why this is happening?Is there any solution to avoid this ? another thing I notice when playing on a console at 30fps "double frame effect" are far less noticeable.
here i made a good example of "double frames" or whatever it is . At the beginning you will see 60fps then 30fps and again 60fps

http://dc117.2shared.com/download/1oiW1udn/Skyrim60fps30fps60fps.mp4?tsid=20120214-123004-91187dc6

if link not working try this

http://www.mediafire.com/?j0jfzowyp5rzve4

2) second question is . why when I'm playing at 50Hz I'm getting 50fps,when at 60Hz=60fps but when at 30Hz I'm getting 60fps not 30fps ?

laimis911
I can't say I saw what you describe, but the image did stutter a bit while rotating. Either something in your hardware can't keep up, or the game is poorly written. When you say Hz, I'm guessing you mean refresh rate on the monitor. I looked at what I could find on Google image about Skyrim graphics settings, and I didn't see Vert Sync anywhere. I have to guess that the game has some form of that written in somehow. The way vertical sychronization works is that the card waits to draw a frame until the monitor refreshes, so that the monitor won't refresh in the middle of the card trying to draw a frame, which makes for "tearing". The fps is therefore locked to the refresh rate such that the frame rate can only be an integer factor or multiple of the refresh rate. A 50Hz refresh gives fps of 1, 2, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, etc. A 30Hz gives 1, 2, 3, 10, 15, 30, 60, 120, etc. A 60 hz gives 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, 60, 120, etc.
laimis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 laimis911

@Blistrax

thanks for the information about the refresh rate ,but i can't understand what makes games on a PC's to look so poorly when playing at 30fps while playing on a console 30fps looks nice and smooth .

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blistrax

@Blistrax

thanks for the information about the refresh rate ,but i can't understand what makes games on a PC's to look so poorly when playing at 30fps while playing on a console 30fps looks nice and smooth .

laimis911
The console is sort of hard-wired to do that---built-in mediocrity. The PC has to render everything in real time at much higher resolutions, which makes for spectacular graphics if your rig has the chops (better and better the better the rig), and crap graphics if not. That is if the gamewriter bothered to improve on the porting for PC---a rare enough occurrence. PC gaming is an expensive hobby. A person might as well play on consoles if he isn't going for the max res and settings he can afford. The gameplay is just as good on consoles, except maybe keyboard/mouse is better than controller for shooters. But when it all comes together on the PC, it's magical. You should see Crysis Warhead maxed out. Far Cry 2 doesn't suck, either. You will abandon your XBox to the same trunk in the attic that your Teddy bear is in. Could I ask you what PC equipment you are running?
laimis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 laimis911

[QUOTE="laimis911"]

@Blistrax

Blistrax

The console is sort of hard-wired to do that---built-in mediocrity. The PC has to render everything in real time at much higher resolutions, which makes for spectacular graphics if your rig has the chops (better and better the better the rig), and crap graphics if not. That is if the gamewriter bothered to improve on the porting for PC---a rare enough occurrence. PC gaming is an expensive hobby. A person might as well play on consoles if he isn't going for the max res and settings he can afford. The gameplay is just as good on consoles, except maybe keyboard/mouse is better than controller for shooters. But when it all comes together on the PC, it's magical. You should see Crysis Warhead maxed out. Far Cry 2 doesn't suck, either. You will abandon your XBox to the same trunk in the attic that your Teddy bear is in. Could I ask you what PC equipment you are running?

I have a budget gaming rig Phenom II X4 955BE , HD6870, 4Gb ram . for me it's quite enough and I played those games you mentioned in the future I'll go with the intel processor

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blistrax
Your rig does not totally suck, my friend, but it will struggle with the more demanding games at higher resolutions and settings. I think you would see more improvement per simoleon in the graphics card than in the CPU, if you have to choose, by the way.
laimis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 laimis911

Your rig does not totally suck, my friend, but it will struggle with the more demanding games at higher resolutions and settings. I think you would see more improvement per simoleon in the graphics card than in the CPU, if you have to choose, by the way.Blistrax

well while my graphics card is not the worst and can handle pretty well i notice that i rather choose a good processor ,because in some games i have some spikes when game freezes for a second or slowdowns due to slow CPU ,i did some real time benchmarking and my card sometimes runs only at 60-80% of its power . So I think processor is equally important and in my case mine is to slow . what processor do you have and how it performs ?

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blistrax
My rig is in my sig. The CPU is an i5 2500. I'm pretty sure I'm wound out for gaming as of February 2012. I'm running Warhead 1920X1200, Enthusiast, 16xQ AA and balls out in global settings, with distance tweaked to the horizon and getting good fps---averages around 50. You might be right about the CPU. More better everything is my motto.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
My rig is in my sig. The CPU is an i5 2500. I'm pretty sure I'm wound out for gaming as of February 2012. I'm running Warhead 1920X1200, Enthusiast, 16xQ AA and balls out in global settings, with distance tweaked to the horizon and getting good fps---averages around 50. You might be right about the CPU. More better everything is my motto.Blistrax
16XAA at 1200p is such a waste. At that res more than 4XMSAA is not noticable. 955 is a fine cpu, especially if you try overclocking it.
mintis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mintis911
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

here i have another video locked at 30fps to show you guys how bad my games are at 30fps and this problem only when frame rates do not matches refresh rate ,even if my PC can run this game at 60fps i want to know why this is happening at 30fps

game called Deus Ex: Human Revolution

http://www.mediafire.com/?7fvnx1tnae56sb9

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blistrax

here i have another video locked at 30fps to show you guys how bad my games are at 30fps and this problem only when frame rates do not matches refresh rate ,even if my PC can run this game at 60fps i want to know why this is happening at 30fps

mintis911
What you're saying seems to mean that you think you can run a PC game at a predetermined framerate. You can't. The PC always goes as fast as it can, limited only by Vertical Synchronization (if you have it on). If your PC is doing 30 fps, it is doing that as an average rate. This means that part of the time it is a bit faster than that, and part of the time, it is slower. When it is slower than 30 fps, you have fallen below the minimum rate for the human eye to not see flicker, and you will see bad things that don't belong there. Am I on target?
mintis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mintis911

[QUOTE="mintis911"]

Blistrax

What you're saying seems to mean that you think you can run a PC game at a predetermined framerate. You can't. The PC always goes as fast as it can, limited only by Vertical Synchronization (if you have it on). If your PC is doing 30 fps, it is doing that as an average rate. This means that part of the time it is a bit faster than that, and part of the time, it is slower. When it is slower than 30 fps, you have fallen below the minimum rate for the human eye to not see flicker, and you will see bad things that don't belong there. Am I on target?

No my problem is not what you trying to explain me . Did you downloaded my video and watched ? because I'm getting good frame rates in most of the games but my problem is when i locking up with frame rate limiter my fps to 30 to avoid 60-30-60fps my all games stutters when my locked fps are constant 30 no ups and downs just the whole image goes double .

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Blistrax
OK, I give up. What are you talking about? Are you saying that you are running some sort of framerate limiter? If so, what is it?
mintis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mintis911

OK, I give up. What are you talking about? Are you saying that you are running some sort of framerate limiter? If so, what is it?Blistrax
yes i'm using frame rate limiter there are plenty of them for example : Dxtory , Bandicam , MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 10(this one requires some readining how to limit ,but nothing hard) all of them can limit Fps without recording video .

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blistrax
OK, how about not keeping that a secret next time? You still haven't said which one you're running. It's like pulling my own teeth, here. There's your problem. Stop using it. God knows how they work , but I wouldn't expect the result to be good. It's additional load, everything else aside. I have to guess that they put up a frame at 1/30 sec whether it's ready or not.
mintis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mintis911

OK, how about not keeping that a secret next time? You still haven't said which one you're running. It's like pulling my own teeth, here. There's your problem. Stop using it. God knows how they work , but I wouldn't expect the result to be good. It's additional load, everything else aside. I have to guess that they put up a frame at 1/30 sec whether it's ready or not.Blistrax
every of those limiters gives me same result . Now honestly download my posted videos and tell me do you can see that artifact when everything goes double ,all edges ,buildings because one guy tried to help me,he downloaded those videos, but he can't see all of this and I'm getting suspicious about my video card ,maybe there is something wrong with it ,maybe card gives bad signal to my TV and only i can see them.

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

What TV/monitor are you using the console and PC on?

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Blistrax
OK, I looked at the second one. I see the double image. Stop running the frame limiter. I doubt even the game programmers could tell you exactly what's happening there, but it ain't pretty. My wild guess, based on nothing all, certain to be pure BS under close analysis, is that motion blur is clashing with the framerate limiter.
mintis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mintis911

WiiRocks66

I figure it out that my TV has nothing to do with this ,bacause i've tried another TV same thing . Well I gues i need to stop using those limiters,it's just strange when other people who use Limiters never wrote any Topic on this particular problem .

mintis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mintis911

OK, I looked at the second one. I see the double image. Stop running the frame limiter. I doubt even the game programmers could tell you exactly what's happening there, but it ain't pretty. My wild guess, based on nothing all, certain to be pure BS under close analysis, is that motion blur is clashing with the framerate limiter.Blistrax
Thanks for checking my video you really helped me a lot to clear up some things .

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

[QUOTE="WiiRocks66"]

mintis911

I figure it out that my TV has nothing to do with this ,bacause i've tried another TV same thing . Well I gues i need to stop using those limiters,it's just strange when other people who use Limiters never wrote any Topic on this particular problem .

Ok. Usually it's an issue with plasmas and 30fps games with motion blur. The game purposefully displays double frames. An LCD blurs them together, creating a blur effect. But on a plasma or CRT, since their response times are so low, they don't blur the double frames and you can see them. It can also be an issue on higher end IPS panel LCDs, but it's an issue on every plasma.

mintis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mintis911

Ok. Usually it's an issue with plasmas and 30fps games with motion blur. The game purposefully displays double frames. An LCD blurs them together, creating a blur effect. But on a plasma or CRT, since their response times are so low, they don't blur the double frames and you can see them. It can also be an issue on higher end IPS panel LCDs, but it's an issue on every plasma.

WiiRocks66

Well i have LCD ,but I can't provide any info,because manufacturer is not very well known and hard to find any info ,but like i said my problem not TV ,and yeah you're right i found that too about plasma TV . I read so many forums to find my problem but with no luck .