The PS Vita Has Flaws, Many, Many Flaws

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The PS Vita is Sony's new handheld, the successor to their successful PSP system. With it, Sony seems to have learnt from the mistakes of their first handheld outing, and they seem to have created what appears to be an all round well made system with few of the flaws that plagued the PSP being apparent in the Vita.

However, there are people (you all know who I am talking about) on this forum who like to think of the PS Vita as the second comong or something, a handheld that is quite literally flawless. For those people, I have made a consolidated list of all PS Vita flaws to begin with.

Most of these are not dealbreakers. They may be annoying, or even outright unacceptable, but they are not deal breakers.

On the other hand, a few of them are.

The list is:

• Battery Life: On medium settings, the PS Vita gets 3 hours of battery life. This teeters on being unacceptable; people like to point at the 3DS's oft quoted 3-5 hours battery life figure as a defensive comparison, but the 3DS's 3 hour battery life is on thehighest settings. If the Vita gives out 3 hours on medium settings, I hate to think what it would perform like on high.
    What's worse is that unlike the 3DS, you can't even change your own battery. You have to send the Vita in to Sony a la Apple and the iPod for them to change your battery for you.
  • Entry Price: Honestly, the PS Vita is good value for money. It's $249/$299 prices are great value for money, but as the PSP and PS3 amply demonstrated, customers don't really care about the whole 'value for money' angle, and spending that much money on a handheld system will probablh be unacceptable to most, especially when...
  • Memory Cards are a requirement for most games, games won't even start without Memory Cards: This is where things start to get really bad. To play Uncharted: Golden Abyss (just one example), you will need to buy not only the system, but also a proprietary Memory Card. Not even Sony's own Memory Stick, but a new format made specifically for the Vita, made onlyby Sony, so the prices are never likely to go down. Considering that the cheapest card is $29, and the most expensive one is $119, (4GB and 32GB respectively), these prices are a rip off.
    Adding insult to injury, the competing system 3DS comes with a 2GB SD Card included in the box.
    The worst part is, you can't even start playing the game without the Memory Card... you need the cards to boot up the game. Seriously, this wouldn't have been an issue if the system had some on board memory just for saves, but...
  • The system has no on board memory: And for a 2011 system, this is flat out unacceptable. The last system to be sold without on board memory was the box 360 Core, and that was discontinued years ago. The Wii, which everyone likes to slag off on, comes with 512MB of system memory. The 3DS comes with 1GB of on board system memory and a 2GB SD Card included in the box. Microsoft was called out when its system had no on board memory. Nintendo is always called out if they make such an oversight. Why isn't Sony?
  • No TV output: Not really a deal breaker, but a definite step back from all their other PSP models since the PSP 2000, which have included a TV out. An obviously deliberate omission to be included in a future revision.
  • Backwards Compatibiltiy is a mess: Another big issue. The PS Vita uses a new proprietary cartridge format for its games, and so features no UMD slot. This means that it is not backwards compatible with any physical PSP games you might already own, not unless you take part in a UMD Conversion program, which requires you to pay for games you already own,and which doesn't even cover all games. Contrast this with the 3DS, which allows you to play all DS, DSi and DSiWare games right out of the box.
    Digital copies of your games can and will be carried forward to your Vita, however, assuming you register the same PSN account to the device that you used to buy the games with on your PSP.
  • Only one account per system: This one actually negates one of the big advantages that the Vita had over the 3DS- but only one account can be registered per Vita system. This means that you and your brother can't share a Vita, this means that you can't have multple accounts to get around region restrictions, this basically means that you are account locked onto your unit. Again, not a deal breaker, but a bit of a puzzling decision.
  • You can't use the browser while playing games: Seriously, what the f**k is this? This is no biggie, I can always just use my smartphone or my PC if I want to consult a walkthrough, but why can't the Vita do this when even the oh so primitive 3DS can? One of the best things about the 3DSis suspending my current game, booting the browser up, going to GameFAQs and consulting a walkthrough on how to proceed, and then resuming my game. It adds to the self contained portable nature of the device that both these systems must ehibit if they are to survive in this iPhone/iPod world. Why can the Vita not access the browser when a game is being played, especially considering its great multitasking capabiltiies?
  • PSOne CIassic Games Won't Be Available At Launch: Remember the 3DS launch, where the eShop and DSiWare games weren't available at launch, and were patched in with a future firmware update? That is what this is like.
    People hoping to play PSOne games on their shiny new Vita, hold up. You can't, at least not yet. That functionality will be patched into the Vita with a future firmware update.
    Looks like Sony just pulled a Nintendo on all of us.

Like I said, most of those aren't deal breakers. Some of them are, however.

The point is, the PS Vita has a lotof flaws. There are a lotof things it is doing wrong. It is only fair to call it out for doing so, especially when people are so quick to jump on Nintendo for making the same, or similar, mistakes.

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts

This thread won't end well.

Anyway, wow at some of those flaws. I didn't know about the internet browser, one account per system, no TV output and no on board system memory. Seriously, how can Sony have gone from making the Vita seem like the greatest handheld ever, to one riddled with so many flaws?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I am shocked and amazed that the Vita just ignores so many things that are otherwise standard in the industry.

And seriously, Sony can't be f*cked to put memory into a $300 handheld? Really?

They just never learn, do they?

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

A lot of those are disappointing points, but, like you said, not deal breakers. A lot of those issues are one time problems, such as memory card/system cost, while others are just things you've got to work around.

Battery life isn't something I can understand complaining about these days. Every thing has crappy battery life nowadays. What we need is new battery tech. I feel like it's been 20 years since a new battery type has been invented.

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

still miles better than the 3DS

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I still think it looks like a better device than the 3ds.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

I am shocked and amazed that the Vita just ignores so many things that are otherwise standard in the industry.

And seriously, Sony can't be f*cked to put memory into a $300 handheld? Really?

They just never learn, do they?

DarkLink77
It wouldn't even have been so bad if they allowed you to use Memory Sticks. But to gouge us by having us pay for a proprietary format, which is MANDATORY (seriously, if it's mandatory, WHY ISN'T IT INCLUDED WITH THE SYSTEM?) is a scam.

A lot of those are disappointing points, but, like you said, not deal breakers. A lot of those issues are one time problems, such as memory card/system cost, while others are just things you've got to work around.

Battery life isn't something I can understand complaining about these days. Every thing has crappy battery life nowadays. What we need is new battery tech. I feel like it's been 20 years since a new battery type has been invented.

Pug-Nasty
Yeah, only one of them really is a deal breaker. The combined weight of all of them, however, can and probably will turn many people away from the prospect of buying the system.
ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts
I was waiting for someone to make a thread about the one account news just to see what people think. A lot of disappointments there but what can you do?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Jolt_counter119
It is, just it comes with its own set of flaws. At least the 3DS's flaws have been addressed at this point (well, most of them).
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

ughhh, the only points i agree with you on is the battery life and the memory cards, everything else i feel as though your just complaining just to complain about it. i mean are you really complaining about the need to use the browser while your playing the game? thats not a flaw, also your little tv output complaint, the vita is going to able to stream to your tv with remote play "or whatever they call it" so again your just complaining to just to complain.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

ughhh, the only points i agree with you on is the battery life and the memory cards, everything else i feel as though your just complaining just to complain about it. i mean are you really complaining about the need to use the browser while your playing the game? thats not a flaw

Chris_Williams

It's an issue, and like I said, not a deal breaker, a minor annoyance.

EDIT: Remote Play is confirmed to not be comaptible with all titles, just a few first party titles as of now.

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts
I think people are missing the point of this thread: if Nintendo had made these mistakes with the 3DS, they would have been laughed at and the 3DS would have been ripped apart. But of course, SONY makes these mistakes, and they're just 'minor annoyances.' :roll:
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="crippled_ram"]I think people are missing the point of this thread: if Nintendo had made these mistakes with the 3DS, they would have been laughed at and the 3DS would have been ripped apart. But of course, SONY makes these mistakes, and they're just 'minor annoyances.' :roll:

Welcome to Cowspot.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chris_Williams
[QUOTE="crippled_ram"]I think people are missing the point of this thread: if Nintendo had made these mistakes with the 3DS, they would have been laughed at and the 3DS would have been ripped apart. But of course, SONY makes these mistakes, and they're just 'minor annoyances.' :roll:

the memory card and that battery life are big problems for me but thats why i'm waiting for the price drop or a new model, but everything else this guy is complaining about is nit picking.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
There's pros and cons to any system. As long as vita gets the same good series psp got I'm set.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="crippled_ram"]I think people are missing the point of this thread: if Nintendo had made these mistakes with the 3DS, they would have been laughed at and the 3DS would have been ripped apart. But of course, SONY makes these mistakes, and they're just 'minor annoyances.' :roll:

the memory card and that battery life are big problems for me but thats why i'm waiting for the price drop or a new model, but everything else this guy is complaining about is nit picking.

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of the backwards compatibility system, either.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 p4s2p0
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="crippled_ram"]I think people are missing the point of this thread: if Nintendo had made these mistakes with the 3DS, they would have been laughed at and the 3DS would have been ripped apart. But of course, SONY makes these mistakes, and they're just 'minor annoyances.' :roll:

The vita's remake may very well not change the battery life just as it didn't the psp.
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts
The only thing up there I dont agree with is the complaining about the BC program, and claiming "they make you pay for games you already own". Really? I had no idea people's PSP systems magically stop playing PSP games when the VITA comes out. :roll: This entire point is blown out of proportion, due to the fact that anybody who even cares enough about this to make a point out of it will already HAVE a PSP to begin with. Not to mention the software sales on PSP were crap, and almost nobody even still plays the damn thing. The people who DO own a PSP most likely dont even play it anymore, as seen by the poor software sales,so its not exactly like they will be storming Sony with pitchforks over this "issue". Just keep your damn PSP if you care so much. If anything, the PS3 and its ordeal with the removal of PS2 BC this gen has shown us that its really not THAT big of a deal, as the majority are just going to buy VITA games anyways. The number of people who will truely be effected by this is in a very tiny minority.
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jolt_counter119

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

charizard1605

It is, just it comes with its own set of flaws. At least the 3DS's flaws have been addressed at this point (well, most of them).

All my flaws for the 3ds has been for the system itself, it's just designed poorly, almost everything about it. The loose hinges that let the top screen rub against the ridges around the bottom screen. The size is too short making my hands cramped after playing for a while (I don't have big hands) the buttons are too small and they just left a big open space that looked like they had a second slide pad there but decided not to use it. The d pad is terrible. The screen resolution is abysmal. The fact that it lacks a second slide pad and is being added in a hideous add-on.

I enjoy it literally only for the games, and I think the 3d effect is cool, would gladly trade it in for better resolution in games though.

Vita my only complaints are the obvious memory problems but that's all for me. I'm still waiting for a price drop though.

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

Wasn't the PSP restricted to one account also?.So why are people acting so shocked!

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chris_Williams
[QUOTE="p4s2p0"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="crippled_ram"]I think people are missing the point of this thread: if Nintendo had made these mistakes with the 3DS, they would have been laughed at and the 3DS would have been ripped apart. But of course, SONY makes these mistakes, and they're just 'minor annoyances.' :roll:

The vita's remake may very well not change the battery life just as it didn't the psp.

true, battery technology hasn't come a long way and probably won't for a while, but it depends, i really want a vita but i'm just going to wait a while and see how people are digging it before i jump on board but if its a meh launch i'm just going to wait for a price drop.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

Jolt_counter119

All my flaws for the 3ds has been for the system itself, it's just designed poorly, almost everything about it. The loose hinges that let the top screen rub against the ridges around the bottom screen. The size is too short making my hands cramped after playing for a while (I don't have big hands) the buttons are too small and they just left a big open space that looked like they had a second slide pad there but decided not to use it. The d pad is terrible. The screen resolution is abysmal. The fact that it lacks a second slide pad and is being added in a hideous add-on.

I enjoy it literally only for the games, and I think the 3d effect is cool, would gladly trade it in for better resolution in games though.

Vita my only complaints are the obvious memory problems but that's all for me. I'm still waiting for a price drop though.

Ah, so I'm not the only one with that loose hinge. It doesn't leave any scratches or anything but I did notice a little bit of give when the screen locks into place. it's only really noticeable if i happen to shake the system
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18268 Posts

The only deal breakers for me is the price tag (which is also a factor on why i still don't have a 3DS) and the memory stuff...really SONY? really? no memory in the system and you dare to ask for a mandatory memory to even began to play? WTF??? that's just inexcusable, but oh well, at least we can use any memory stick right? yeah, think again, 100$ for a damn memory stick who only works on the Vita, Damn Sony this time you went too far, way too far.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Jolt_counter119

You really think that this isn't worthy a complaint?

-> "What's worse is that unlike the 3DS, you can't even change your own battery. You have to send the Vita in to Sony a la Apple and the iPod for them to change your battery for you."

You can't even change your own battery ? What the *** ?

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
I don't really see any Flaws on those. 1)I will not buy PSVita for PSOne CIassic.Who cares anyway..... 2)I really don't care for browser while playing games. 3)Only one account per system....i don't see any problem with that.You can do many different save files. 4)No TV output..??I don't really care for that. 5)Memory Cards not need for all game and you can buy a 4GB for 18$. 6)Battery Life is 3~5 hours but notice that also the 3DS have the same life battery and it is 10times more weak..lol 7)Entry Price:Honestly it is a fair price for a HD system like the PSVita.Did the 3DS price was 250$ on start..??lolol But the most important is that the PSVita is 10times better than 3DS and it have some very good launch titles.What did 3DS was have for launch titles..??lolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]The only thing up there I dont agree with is the complaining about the BC program, and claiming "they make you pay for games you already own". Really? I had no idea people's PSP systems magically stop playing PSP games when the VITA comes out. :roll: This entire point is blown out of proportion, due to the fact that anybody who even cares enough about this to make a point out of it will already HAVE a PSP to begin with. Not to mention the software sales on PSP were crap, and almost nobody even still plays the damn thing. The people who DO own a PSP most likely dont even play it anymore, as seen by the poor software sales,so its not exactly like they will be storming Sony with pitchforks over this "issue". Just keep your damn PSP if you care so much. If anything, the PS3 and its ordeal with the removal of PS2 BC this gen has shown us that its really not THAT big of a deal, as the majority are just going to buy VITA games anyways. The number of people who will truely be effected by this is in a very tiny minority.

So you do agree with everything else then?

Lucianu

-> "What's worse is that unlike the 3DS, you can't even change your own battery. You have to send the Vita in to Sony a la Apple and the iPod for them to change your battery for you."

You can't even charge your own battery that will be wasted in 3 - 5 hours? What the *** ?

You misunderstand, you can charge the battery, you just cannot replace it.
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jolt_counter119

Lucianu

You can't even charge your own battery that will be wasted in 3 - 5 hours? What the *** ?

I said that's my only complaint meanign it is worthy. I expected to buy a memory card anyways but forcing the consumer to is not cool.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Jolt_counter119

I said that's my only complaint meanign it is worthy. I expected to buy a memory card anyways but forcing the consumer to is not cool.

pretty much. Thats like $270 just to get the system started. Meanwhile you could always buy a 3ds bundled with a game for less.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lucianu

Jolt_counter119

A lot of those points could have ben avoided, could have ben a close to flawless handheld gaming system, but i guess putting all that power warrants it some extra for additional stuff, which sucks balls, i would rather get a console and a few game, but whatever one does with his money is his own thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]I don't really see any Flaws on those. 1)I will not buy PSVita for PSOne CIassic.Who cares anyway..... 2)I really don't care for browser while playing games. 3)Only one account per system....i don't see any problem with that.You can do many different save files. 4)No TV output..??I don't really care for that. 5)Memory Cards not need for all game and you can buy a 4GB for 18$. 6)Battery Life is 3~5 hours but notice that also the 3DS have the same life battery and it is 10times more weak..lol 7)Entry Price:Honestly it is a fair price for a HD system like the PSVita.Did the 3DS price was 250$ on start..??lolol But the most important is that the PSVita is 10times better than 3DS and it have some very good launch titles.What did 3DS was have for launch titles..??lolol

Do me a favor and list all 3DS flaws, won't you?
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lucianu

You misunderstand, you can charge the battery, you just cannot replace it.charizard1605

I know, i edited after like a minute. Ya'll fast.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Shinobishyguy

pretty much. Thats like $270 just to get the system started. Meanwhile you could always buy a 3ds bundled with a game for less.

A 3DS bundled with a game, with the memory card included, and the charging cradle also included, will be about half the price of an equivalent PS Vita.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17885 Posts
Battery life: shockingly poor. its poor on the 3DS, its poor in the vita not good enough. 6 hour minimum on a handheld gaming machine. if you cant make your four core optimegatriplexprcessor work with that thenyou cut the processing power. or the screen power demand. or increase the battery capacity. both both have this badly wrong. Memory cards being a requirement: the downside of the loss leader strategy. sony can not take the burdens of another big loss leader...they need to make whatever losses there making on the vita back asap. if that means gouging on memory cards (an older console practice) thenso be it. no on board memory: well there is some to host the OS of course...but yea not availble for user stuff. again a fallout of loss leader strategy. as far as sony are concerned they must cram as much horsepower in there as possible.oh and a pretty screen. on board memory however is not essential. no TV out: i suspect sony were thinking adding this could undermine the PS3. i think itll be added in a future model when the PS3 is put to the sword. BC problems: i agree with sonys decision to go with carts rather than some UMD2. UMD was a bad idea from the start. a cart is faster and more robust...elements far more important in a portable than storage capacity. but this was always going to be a problem. the 3DS will have the same issue with GBA games and will have, at some stage, a GBA VC. ninty have made no proposals as to how they are going to give people who already own some GBA games access to this (and they wont...buy them again as far as they are concerned). the DS cart is the perfect cart for a portable so ninty using that form factor again for the 3DS makes sense and makes BC easier. only one account per system. same as 3DS (which has even more draconian DRM...as i have experienced with a 2 week hiatus due to a fault). it aint right but its the nature of locked down platforms. no browser while playing games. an odd decision indeed. unless games have full access to all system memory i think this feature will be added in a firmware update. right now sony are more concerned with getting something that basically works out the door asap. it does have flaws just like the 3DS has plenty of flaws. but many of them are understandable.
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

To be fair TC, you've got some very good points. I'm very excited about the VITA, but I'm somewhat reserved about some issues such as battery life, backward compatability and a couple of others. I'll most likely wait for the inevitable 'slim' edition when I'll get the best out of it.

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
I can live with all of those. The only one that annoys me is that you have to send the Vita to Sony if you want a new battery, always hated Apple for that policy. But it's understandable that they did this, considering how the PSP ended up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="osan0"]Battery life: shockingly poor. its poor on the 3DS, its poor in the vita not good enough. 6 hour minimum on a handheld gaming machine. if you cant make your four core optimegatriplexprcessor work with that thenyou cut the processing power. or the screen power demand. or increase the battery capacity. both both have this badly wrong. Memory cards being a requirement: the downside of the loss leader strategy. sony can not take the burdens of another big loss leader...they need to make whatever losses there making on the vita back asap. if that means gouging on memory cards (an older console practice) thenso be it. no on board memory: well there is some to host the OS of course...but yea not availble for user stuff. again a fallout of loss leader strategy. as far as sony are concerned they must cram as much horsepower in there as possible.oh and a pretty screen. on board memory however is not essential. no TV out: i suspect sony were thinking adding this could undermine the PS3. i think itll be added in a future model when the PS3 is put to the sword. BC problems: i agree with sonys decision to go with carts rather than some UMD2. UMD was a bad idea from the start. a cart is faster and more robust...elements far more important in a portable than storage capacity. but this was always going to be a problem. the 3DS will have the same issue with GBA games and will have, at some stage, a GBA VC. ninty have made no proposals as to how they are going to give people who already own some GBA games access to this (and they wont...buy them again as far as they are concerned). the DS cart is the perfect cart for a portable so ninty using that form factor again for the 3DS makes sense and makes BC easier. only one account per system. same as 3DS (which has even more draconian DRM...as i have experienced with a 2 week hiatus due to a fault). it aint right but its the nature of locked down platforms. no browser while playing games. an odd decision indeed. unless games have full access to all system memory i think this feature will be added in a firmware update. right now sony are more concerned with getting something that basically works out the door asap. it does have flaws just like the 3DS has plenty of flaws. but many of them are understandable.

Mostly, I agree with you. It has flaws, but they can be understood on a company policy level. Still sucks for us as consumers though. What I don't agree with you is the GBA backwards compatibility point. That system is two generations old, Nintendo really isn't obligated to keep their current product compatible with it.
Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
I don't get what's the issue with only 1 account per console ? It not like you can't let others play on it. maybe it's just me tho, but on ps3 i don't make another account for when i have guests playing. Not trying to defend it, i don't care about the vita and i'm not going to buy one even if it was half the price, but i just don't get how that's an issue. Not being able to access the web browser while playing games is the biggest issue, imo.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The Vita will flop. Quote me on it.
Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
[QUOTE="Tykain"]I don't get what's the issue with only 1 account per console ? It not like you can't let others play on it. maybe it's just me tho, but on ps3 i don't make another account for when i have guests playing. Not trying to defend it, i don't care about the vita and i'm not going to buy one even if it was half the price, but i just don't get how that's an issue. Not being able to access the web browser while playing games is the biggest issue, imo.

When I buy a console with my brother together, we both want different accounts, so we can play without annoying the other. Not like I was planning on buying the Vita with my brother though, so I don't care.
ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts
[QUOTE="Tykain"]I don't get what's the issue with only 1 account per console ? It not like you can't let others play on it. maybe it's just me tho, but on ps3 i don't make another account for when i have guests playing. Not trying to defend it, i don't care about the vita and i'm not going to buy one even if it was half the price, but i just don't get how that's an issue. Not being able to access the web browser while playing games is the biggest issue, imo.

Ive seen people make a second account for the Japanese store if I'm not mistaking. You can just switch between the two on the psp, on the Vita you have to return it to factory form to make a new account.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="Loegi"][QUOTE="Tykain"]I don't get what's the issue with only 1 account per console ? It not like you can't let others play on it. maybe it's just me tho, but on ps3 i don't make another account for when i have guests playing. Not trying to defend it, i don't care about the vita and i'm not going to buy one even if it was half the price, but i just don't get how that's an issue. Not being able to access the web browser while playing games is the biggest issue, imo.

When I buy a console with my brother together, we both want different accounts, so we can play without annoying the other. Not like I was planning on buying the Vita with my brother though, so I don't care.

There's that. Or consider that you buy a game from UK, but your Vita the account registered on your Vita is a US account. Well, now you can't buy DLC for said game. And you also cannot access the PSN stores of other regions anymore, since your account is locked to your region, and your system is locked to your account.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Chris_Williams
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Loegi"][QUOTE="Tykain"]I don't get what's the issue with only 1 account per console ? It not like you can't let others play on it. maybe it's just me tho, but on ps3 i don't make another account for when i have guests playing. Not trying to defend it, i don't care about the vita and i'm not going to buy one even if it was half the price, but i just don't get how that's an issue. Not being able to access the web browser while playing games is the biggest issue, imo.

There's that. Or consider that you buy a game from UK, but your Vita the account registered on your Vita is a US account. Well, now you can't buy DLC for said game. And you also cannot access the PSN stores of other regions anymore, since your account is locked to your region, and your system is locked to your account.

kind of like how the 3DS is region locked and also you can only have 1 account on the 3ds, yet i've never seen you complain about it, but the vita is the same way and now its a big problem and a deal breaker?
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 p4s2p0
3ds doesn't have 2 analogs or most of the games I like to play so it doesn't matter how many flaws it has, its pros win me over.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#45 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

The only thing up there I dont agree with is the complaining about the BC program, and claiming "they make you pay for games you already own". Really? I had no idea people's PSP systems magically stop playing PSP games when the VITA comes out. :roll: This entire point is blown out of proportion, due to the fact that anybody who even cares enough about this to make a point out of it will already HAVE a PSP to begin with. Not to mention the software sales on PSP were crap, and almost nobody even still plays the damn thing. The people who DO own a PSP most likely dont even play it anymore, as seen by the poor software sales,so its not exactly like they will be storming Sony with pitchforks over this "issue". Just keep your damn PSP if you care so much. If anything, the PS3 and its ordeal with the removal of PS2 BC this gen has shown us that its really not THAT big of a deal, as the majority are just going to buy VITA games anyways. The number of people who will truely be effected by this is in a very tiny minority. StrongDeadlift

Pretty much, is no charging cradle really a legitimate flaw?

The thing that matters to me, is that it looks pretty great. With the $250 model (I don't plan on using AT&T, I'll stick to Wi Fi thanks), and a 4gb or 8gb memory card, its still a nice price for what it does.

3-5 hours is what I get on my laptop when its not plugged in, and I think that's more then enough time to play on the go for the day.

Finally, does anyone here own a PSP? If I can't play any downloadable PSP titles, that would be dumb (especially since there is a decent collection of PSP games), but most of the best PSP games are downloadable anyways, and you CAN play the downloadable PSP titles on your Vita. Not a big deal.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18268 Posts

kind of like how the 3DS is region locked and also you can only have 1 account on the 3ds, yet i've never seen you complain about it, but the vita is the same way and now its a big problem and a deal breaker? Chris_Williams

He never said they were deal breakers.

Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Loegi"][QUOTE="Tykain"]I don't get what's the issue with only 1 account per console ? It not like you can't let others play on it. maybe it's just me tho, but on ps3 i don't make another account for when i have guests playing. Not trying to defend it, i don't care about the vita and i'm not going to buy one even if it was half the price, but i just don't get how that's an issue. Not being able to access the web browser while playing games is the biggest issue, imo.

I see that as more of an issue with having 3 different stores instead of having a unified one. You should be able to buy content from any region on the same account.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Chris_Williams

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] kind of like how the 3DS is region locked and also you can only have 1 account on the 3ds, yet i've never seen you complain about it, but the vita is the same way and now its a big problem and a deal breaker? madsnakehhh

He never said they were deal breakers.

alright a flaw, the same "flaw" the 3ds has
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Before all of these things the Vita was perfect, no flaws whatsoever and the system was basically a 20 out of 10 to me... But slowly the handheld was brought down to earth especially the memory card(which is a one time buy anyway) and the battery life... Those two alone brought it down to 12 out of 10 then the no TV Output(Which technically isn't true as it can be put on screen through the PS3 just not directly to a dedicated TV Channel). PSOne support being added in later is also another big sting to me as i wanted to play some FF on it so 9 out of 10 now yet much more realistic.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
My two concerns are battery life and ps classics, ps1 will probably addressed in a update, but I don't see the battery getting fixed until the next model.