GTA 4 vs San Andreas (A list of things that one game has over the other)

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Omega-316
Member since 2011 • 981 Posts

San Andreas took GTA to the next level in terms of gameplay, and content. GTA 4 took it to the next level in terms of graphics, and physics.

But which is more important? Content? or Realism?

Lets take a look at what San Andreas had that GTA 4 didnt. (tell me if im missing anything and ill add it in)

Customization

- Sculpting/changing the way your body looks
- Hair $tyle including facial hair $tyle
- Tattoo's
- A way Larger variety of clothes to wear
- Customizing a car with great depth
- Choosing your fighting $tyle

Abilities

- Under water diving
- Executions
- Duel wielding
- Sky diving
- Riding a bicycle
- Flying planes
- Gambling
- Buying safe houses
- Buying business properties that generate income
- Saving your vehicle in a garage
- 2 player
- RPG elements (Leveling up your guns. Your health. Your stamina. Your driving. Your piloting. Your motorcylce skills and many more)

Other Stuff

- A change in scenery (From Los Santos, the country side, San Fierro, the desert, and Las Venturas)
- Gangs (8 different in game gangs)
- Gang territories
- Tanks
- Military
- Longer campain
- More mini games
- More side missions
- Better cheats
- Better cheat imputs (L1, L2, R1, R2, up, down, left, right, up, down, left, right >>> cell phone, where if you get shot he puts the phone away)
- More variety in mission

Now lets take a look at what GTA 4 had that San Andreas didn't. (Tell me if i am mission anything and ill put them in)

Customization

- Nothing

Abilites

- Cover system
- Internet
- Multiplayer (San Andreas only had multiplayer on PC)
- Getting drunk (Although in one San Andreas mission you did get high :P)
- Cell phone

Other Stuff

- Better graphics
- Better Physics
- Realism
- Simple missions

All right folks. This was all i can think of. Just tell mewhat im missing and ill add it in.

Now for a discussion. Can Rockstar keep what GTA 4 had but add in the amount of content that San Andreas had? I dont think current system can handle such a beastly game. Highly detailed cities the size of San Andreas would be extremely hard. Thats why i think they will only stick with one san andreas city and that will be Los Santos but a huge highly detailed Los Santos. But i hope it will have a few country sides along with it for a change in scenery. Plus i hope they bring back the RPG elements of San Andreas that had me addicted to the game. Rockstar, please just bring back everything that San Andreas had.

Thoughts?

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
Well from what it sounds like Rockstar is taking apart different cities in SA and making it one whole game which will be kind of weird since it will still feel small. Also i wish they would have used las venturas or san fierro I mean they can do more with san fierro then santos
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

you can get drunk on GTA SA, a few servers on SAMP have it as a scripted feature despite it being really basic lol.Just thought i would chime in with it since you've made points bout GTA SA having MP on PC through modification lol.

Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Omega-316

Well from what it sounds like Rockstar is taking apart different cities in SA and making it one whole game which will be kind of weird since it will still feel small. Also i wish they would have used las venturas or san fierro I mean they can do more with san fierro then santoseboyishere
theres not alot of story lines to be had in san fierro. LA (los santos) is bigger and you can make a good story line with the gangs there and CJ.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

[QUOTE="eboyishere"]Well from what it sounds like Rockstar is taking apart different cities in SA and making it one whole game which will be kind of weird since it will still feel small. Also i wish they would have used las venturas or san fierro I mean they can do more with san fierro then santosOmega-316

theres not alot of story lines to be had in san fierro. LA (los santos) is bigger and you can make a good story line with the gangs there and CJ.

From the rumors it sounds like CJ isnt the main character this time. HE might be in it but not the star of it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
And you basically summed up why I hated GTAIV.
Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Omega-316

...so? Future games of the franchise always remove and change things; have you never played a single fighting game?meconate
Vice city added to what GTA 3 didnt have. San andreas added to what they both didnt have. GTA 4 removed all of it. Vice city didnt remove anything form gta 3, san andreas didnt remove anthing from vice city.

fighting games have nothing to do with GTA.

Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Omega-316

[QUOTE="Omega-316"]

[QUOTE="eboyishere"]Well from what it sounds like Rockstar is taking apart different cities in SA and making it one whole game which will be kind of weird since it will still feel small. Also i wish they would have used las venturas or san fierro I mean they can do more with san fierro then santoseboyishere

From the rumors it sounds like CJ isnt the main character this time. HE might be in it but not the star of it.

CJ is for sure in the game because Rockstar showed who will be voice acting for GTA 5 and the guy who did CJ is in the game. plus alot of other los santos characters are in the game as well.

My guess is that CJ will not be the main character. i think this will be Los santos set in modern times so CJ might be old and you might be his son? iunno. But its all but confirmed that GTA 5 will be set in los santos and CJ will be in the game

Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Omega-316

[QUOTE="Omega-316"]

[QUOTE="meconate"]...so? Future games of the franchise always remove and change things; have you never played a single fighting game?meconate

Vice city added to what GTA 3 didnt have. San andreas added to what they both didnt have. GTA 4 removed all of it. Vice city didnt remove anything form gta 3, san andreas didnt remove anthing from vice city.

fighting games have nothing to do with GTA.

You seem to have misunderstood my point, and therefore I believe you've never played a fighting game; a genre in which characters and abilities are removed, even if you've grown to love that character so much. (Take MvC2 and MvC3 for example.)

Many developers change and remove things that people loved in games to start afresh and try something different. Oh another example, Splinter Cell: Double Agent and Conviction. Huge difference, yet they're both just as good.

the only fighting games i play are UFC games. and yes i know UFC 2010 added and removed stuff from UFC 2009. I get that its a comon practice in making a sequel.

But GTA games are different. GTA 4 stripped san andreas and added very little to it in terms of content. the only worthy thing was the multiplayer.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 foxhound_fox
a genre in which characters and abilities are removedmeconate
Characters and abilities =/= Gameplay elements
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts
Why is $tyle censored?
MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

Now lets take a look at what GTA 4 had that San Andreas didn't. (Tell me if i am mission anything and ill put them in)

Abilites

- Cell phone

Omega-316

Hey now, San Andreas had a cell phone...You had to press L1 to answer it... :P

MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
And you basically summed up why I hated GTAIV.foxhound_fox
Agreed
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Yeah you could do more in San Andreas but I prefer the realism of GTA 4. Its a masterpiece, so much detail, so much happening all the time, it feels alive.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#18 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I prefer the story, controls, graphics and physics of GTA IV better. The only things I liked in San Adreas more are that the cars are easier to control and the ability to play co-op(but GTA IVs competitive and free modes completely beat that). Planes are cool, but the controls were annoying. Sand Andreas map was bigger, but GTA IV's was alot more dense. I don't really have a preference there. And I didn't really that much for San Andreas rpg elements. All it meant was that i had to go to the gym every few hours. GTA IV's cell phones, that was the most annoying thing. But over all I think GTA IV is better in just about every aspect.
Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Omega-316

Yeah you could do more in San Andreas but I prefer the realism of GTA 4. Its a masterpiece, so much detail, so much happening all the time, it feels alive.tomarlyn
i thought it was a master piece too when i played it for a couple hours. But then the boring missions just turned me off in the middle of the game. there is no near climaxes no nothing. just a slow long lasting rub n tug that just wanted me to finish already so i can move on. i love the realism but it just needed more content and funner more large scale mission that SA had.

plus the driving was god awful. not even close to realism. i can make sharper turns in real life better then i canin gta 4.

oh and how a car barely thouches niko and niko falls down. thats annoying. niko's movements seems clunky. Red Dead redemption did it alot better. RDR imo was the better GTA game. grand theft horse

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
Because you were playing it for the wrong reasons?
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
Here's another thing GTA4 had over San Andreas: Being a million times better.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts
I like SA because there is so much to do, plus the flying and jetpack.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

You forgot gang territories for SA. That was some of the best parts of the game. Content wins for me every time. I've beaten SA five or six times and will probably play it again, and only beaten IV once and will never play it again.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox
Because you were playing it for the wrong reasons?drinkerofjuice
Because they changed the game into something entirely other than what I was expecting?
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

You forgot gang territories for SA. That was some of the best parts of the game. Content wins for me every time. I've beaten SA five or six times and will probably play it again, and only beaten IV once and will never play it again.

Bigboi500
That's true, I forgot about those, I remember jetpack and minigun was good for claiming territories. :P
15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

Parking in a garage as opposed to a parking spot is a major plus for SA? Seems like a lot of nitpicking to me. We have to account that GTA 4 was a new engine for next gen consoles, a rebirth of the franchise. I would take the physics, realism, and story of GTA 4. It could use some of the variety of SA though.

SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 SageJMP
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

I can say one thing, I prefered the multi-city plus country side environment of San Andreas over the single city environment in GTA3 and GTA4.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#29 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

yep, I liked San Andres more than 4, but 4 was still a fantastic game :)

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Flying Airplanes! I was soo dissapointed when I found you couldnt fly air planes in GTA IV, I mean, sure it only has one air port so no point in having air planes but still! They could of had a little single engine plane or a biplane that you could get through a cheat. But no :(

I soo hope in GTA V, there is more than one airport and flyable air planes.

I also want real cheats.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Parking in a garage as opposed to a parking spot is a major plus for SA? Seems like a lot of nitpicking to me. We have to account that GTA 4 was a new engine for next gen consoles, a rebirth of the franchise. I would take the physics, realism, and story of GTA 4. It could use some of the variety of SA though.

15strong

It wasnt a major plus for the game, but atleast in GTA SA when you had the cops after you and you would run pass your house, the cops wouldnt steal your vehicles. This happens to me too often in GTA IV

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"]Because you were playing it for the wrong reasons?foxhound_fox
Because they changed the game into something entirely other than what I was expecting?

And that's the game's fault, how?
icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 icyseanfitz
Member since 2006 • 2493 Posts

if we are being fair we should compare 3 to 4 and not SA, both 3 and 4 where brand new games using brand new mechanics

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

[QUOTE="15strong"]

Gamingclone

It wasnt a major plus for the game, but atleast in GTA SA when you had the cops after you and you would run pass your house, the cops wouldnt steal your vehicles. This happens to me too often in GTA IV

Never happedned to me but it sounds hilarious.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#36 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

You can change your outsit in GTAIV so it does have some level of customization.

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

I didn't like San Andreas and at the time I wrote a pretty harsh review about it. But if I had to be completely honest, it just felt like one big clunky mess (and no, I won't list it's faults). GTA IV felt so smooth and had more atmosphere to both the game-play and the story-line itself. Yeah, you were very limited and there isn't a right whole lot to do after you've finished the main story (aside from multiplayer and very few side-missions) but it was worth that experience.meconate

I agree with you on that. I don't appreciate a huge number of things to do, but when its clunky as all hell it gets frustrating. However, I think the franchise should move forward by adding the level of polish GTA4 had to the craziness of SA. Frankly, I think GTA4 could've been a lot more with another 6 months in the shop and I mean A LOT more. I think, looking at what they did in BoGT, its very possible for GTA5 to be the best of what GTA4 and SA both represented.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17422 Posts
Saints Row 3 will be better than both :P
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

I still prefer the 4th one.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#40 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

freedomfreak
I can imagine you almost wet your pants when gta5 was announced! :o :P
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]

Slashless
I can imagine you almost wet your pants when gta5 was announced! :o :P

Almost?I went tsunami on my trousers.I can't wait for the teaser.
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Never played San Andreas but I remember GTA4 having a really bad story.

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts

San Andreas took GTA to the next level in terms of gameplay, and content. GTA 4 took it to the next level in terms of graphics, and physics.

But which is more important? Content? or Realism?

Lets take a look at what San Andreas had that GTA 4 didnt. (tell me if im missing anything and ill add it in)

Customization

- Sculpting/changing the way your body looks
- Hair $tyle including facial hair $tyle
- Tattoo's
- A way Larger variety of clothes to wear
- Customizing a car with great depth
- Choosing your fighting $tyle

Abilities

- Under water diving
- Executions
- Duel wielding
- Sky diving
- Riding a bicycle
- Flying planes
- Gambling
- Buying safe houses
- Buying business properties that generate income
- Saving your vehicle in a garage
- 2 player
- RPG elements (Leveling up your guns. Your health. Your stamina. Your driving. Your piloting. Your motorcylce skills and many more)

Other Stuff

- A change in scenery (From Los Santos, the country side, San Fierro, the desert, and Las Venturas)
- Gangs (8 different in game gangs)
- Gang territories
- Tanks
- Military
- Longer campain
- More mini games
- More side missions
- Better cheats
- Better cheat imputs (L1, L2, R1, R2, up, down, left, right, up, down, left, right >>> cell phone, where if you get shot he puts the phone away)
- More variety in mission

Customization

- Nothing

Abilites

- Cover system
- Internet
- Multiplayer (San Andreas only had multiplayer on PC)
- Getting drunk (Although in one San Andreas mission you did get high :P)
- Cell phone

Other Stuff

- Better graphics
- Better Physics
- Realism
- Simple missions

All right folks. This was all i can think of. Just tell mewhat im missing and ill add it in.

Now for a discussion. Can Rockstar keep what GTA 4 had but add in the amount of content that San Andreas had? I dont think current system can handle such a beastly game. Highly detailed cities the size of San Andreas would be extremely hard. Thats why i think they will only stick with one san andreas city and that will be Los Santos but a huge highly detailed Los Santos. But i hope it will have a few country sides along with it for a change in scenery. Plus i hope they bring back the RPG elements of San Andreas that had me addicted to the game. Rockstar, please just bring back everything that San Andreas had.

Thoughts?

Omega-316

You Are Awesome. Just what I've been wanting to tell everyone. But of course, people get high over the Better Graphics, Better Physics, and "Realism", so they forget the fun factor.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

San Andreas = Hope for GTA

GTA 4 = Reminder why i didn't like the franchise in the first place.

Quite Clearly they have to be different games.. my mind refuses to believe Niko is worth sh!t.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
making your character fat is truly the epitome of sandbox games
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 princeofshapeir
why are people pretending that san andreas' little customization options are more substantial than the improved shooting, new cover system, new physics and graphics engine, and the most realistic depiction of new york city in a video game to date? i'd rather have substantial additions to gameplay rather than a plethora of things thrown at me, a few which i'll actually bother to do, because this is a sandbox game--not an RPG.
Miketheman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Miketheman83
Member since 2010 • 3156 Posts
They should bring back the RPG elements. Gta4 just felt like they spent all their time building the city itself and it was pretty much useless.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#48 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
the GTA3 series was generally loved and a pillar of the industry. GTA4 has fractured support and a fraction of the cultural impact. The fact that there are so many GTA4 threads is a great ad for Rockstar but these same arguments have cycled over and over and has become more boring than GTA4 itself.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 princeofshapeir
the GTA3 series was generally loved and a pillar of the industry. GTA4 has fractured support and a fraction of the cultural impact. The fact that there are so many GTA4 threads is a great ad for Rockstar but these same arguments have cycled over and over and has become more boring than GTA4 itself.GunSmith1_basic
what do you mean by "cultural impact"? obviously GTA IV wouldn't have made the big splash GTA III did, because that game was literally the first crime-based sandbox game ever, setting a standard for the industry and breeding a legion of imitations. by 2008, rockstar had realized that if they had made a next-generation san andreas, they would have done nothing than put a rockstar label on a concept that has been beaten to death by games like crackdown, just cause, and saint's row. they took a risk by creating an immersive and atmospheric world with a compelling narrative laden with more subtleties than any of their previous works, and apparently that risk paid off: GTA IV is the best-selling game in the series (6 million copies worldwide) and the most critically-acclaimed, and one of the most expensive games ever produced.