PS3 UI Needs an Overhaul

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

#1 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

It'll be five years come November for the anniversary of the Playstation 3--and in that time, the UI has gone through very small incremental updates and barely any updates levied towards the actual gaphical design, besides one minor update which made the background more animated if memory serves me correctly. It's actually kind of sad that I can't even recall any updates to the UI yet I can easily point out the barage of firmware updates the PS3 has received since its release.

The design is archaic; its age shows compared to the Xbox GUI. The Xbox has gone through multiple overhauls which has helped to make the dashboard fresher and easily more vivid, or exciting. With the Fall update for the Xbox 360 right around the corner and the update looking better than ever, I have to ask PS3 owners if they would like the same respect with a dashboard overhaul?

The Live Tile system which is being used by Windows 8, and currently being utilized by Windows Mobile 7.0-7.5 has been praised by a variety of outlets and consumers alike by its ease of use or accessibility, and it's attractive interface. You look at this new--fresh design--and compare it to the same 2006 Dashboard design of the PS3?

Now, I imagine people are going to dish out the same argument of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" outline. And I'm afraid I don't agree entirely with this notion, otherwise I would be still stuck using the same grossly archaic dashboard for the Xbox 360 back in 2005, which comparing that to today and the new update? It looks like a frickin' eyesore (although nostalgia makes me snicker looking at it). We've come a long ways, and even in the gaming world, we like to have evolution and innovation come out--not stagnant ways of thinking. People praised the PS3 Slim, yet the "Fat PS3" was a fair design as is, in fact, it was more durable than the PS3 Slim aside from being more power hungry. Once again, people supported that yet the idea of a "new" interface avoids Sony like the plague, why?

I want new. Do you?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

I have no problems with it,but it does look bland and boring.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Its fine the way it is, deal with it i say :)

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

not too problematic but does need a makeover. Heard they were thinking about doing it when the vita launches.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

finalstar2007
Everything needs refinement and improvement one way or another, pretending it's perfectly fine as is showcases a way of thought which will only stagnant the industry.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Yea it needs an updated but I would rather Sony spend the money and time on more important things like security.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Yea it needs an updated but I would rather Sony spend the money and time on more important things like security.KC_Hokie
Sony's security is fine now, no need to fret.
TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TrapJak
Member since 2011 • 2933 Posts

I understand what you're saying , but that statement does apply here. The PS3 UI is fine as it is. The 360 went through many dashbard updates because the previous ones were a cluster****. The first was too basic and annoying to get through, and the 2nd update had TOO many things applied in one screen. It was unneceesary.

The new 360 Dashboard is great though. But as I said before, nothing can be changed to the interface to make it more dynamic, other than PS3 themes, and you can do that yourself.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

Stevo_the_gamer

Everything needs refinement and improvement one way or another, pretending it's perfectly fine as is showcases a way of thought which will only stagnant the industry.

I didnt say its perfect, said its fine as it is, simple and easy to use but if they do change it thats very welcomed, im personally used to it and been gaming on that thing since 2007. only thing i like about the 360 tho is its store when they show you the games in retail looking boxes speaking of the online but thats a whole diffrent thing. no complain on my side anyways

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
So because MS did a makeover suddenly Sony needs one? Reminds me of the time before 3DS had a price drop, after that suddenly "Vita is too expensive OMG Sony you really dropped the ball!" yet before that not a word of price was uttered from sheep.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Yea it needs an updated but I would rather Sony spend the money and time on more important things like security.Stevo_the_gamer

They just had a security breach two weeks ago.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/sony-faces-another-security-breach-tv-recalls/2011/10/12/gIQALHgPfL_story.html

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JohnF111

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Yea it needs an updated but I would rather Sony spend the money and time on more important things like security.KC_Hokie

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/sony-faces-another-security-breach-tv-recalls/2011/10/12/gIQALHgPfL_story.html

Ok so where was this "Breach" all i see was an "Attempt".
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

I understand what you're saying , but that statement does apply here. The PS3 UI is fine as it is. The 360 went through many dashbard updates because the previous ones were a cluster****. The first was too basic and annoying to get through, and the 2nd update had TOO many things applied in one screen. It was unneceesary.

The new 360 Dashboard is great though. But as I said before, nothing can be changed to the interface to make it more dynamic, other than PS3 themes, and you can do that yourself.

TrapJak

PS3 interface?

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

freedomfreak

Nothings boring about my PS3 UI ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAsMNkmBFII

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Sony's security is fine now, no need to fret.JohnF111

Read more carefully. Nearly 100,000 had their account passwords reset because of the breach too.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
So because MS did a makeover suddenly Sony needs one? Reminds me of the time before 3DS had a price drop, after that suddenly "Vita is too expensive OMG Sony you really dropped the ball!" yet before that not a word of price was uttered from sheep.JohnF111
Suddenly did a makeover? Microsoft has done an overhaul every two years aprox. This isn't sudden by any means, it is in fact, expected by me to see Microsoft refine and overhaul their interface. Microsoft is a software company so it is by no surprise to see the Xbox GUI walk circles around Sony's, nevertheless, I want something new from Sony and not the same archaic design from 2006.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
I was actually thinking the same thing when I was over at my friend's house on his PS3, I couldn't believe how bland the dashboard was.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]

W1NGMAN-

That's nice.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JohnF111
[QUOTE="JohnF111"]So because MS did a makeover suddenly Sony needs one? Reminds me of the time before 3DS had a price drop, after that suddenly "Vita is too expensive OMG Sony you really dropped the ball!" yet before that not a word of price was uttered from sheep.Stevo_the_gamer
Suddenly did a makeover? Microsoft has done an overhaul every two years aprox. This isn't sudden by any means, it is in fact, expected by me to see Microsoft refine and overhaul their interface. Microsoft is a software company so it is by no surprise to see the Xbox GUI walk circles around Sony's, nevertheless, I want something new from Sony and not the same archaic design from 2006.

Read my post carefully....
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
hate the way psn looks. its so ugly
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]

W1NGMAN-

bro i have miso campo as my background :lol:

get on my **** level

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

KC_Hokie

Wasn't that caused by another websites poor security where they got their information from and then tried to access Sony? Whereas, Sony correctly stopped and prevented it?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Ilike the PS3 UI. It's simple and pretty effective. It is a bit boring though.To be fair you can at lease spruce it up a bit with new themes. It far outclasses the 360 in that regard.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JohnF111

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]They just had a security breach two weeks ago.

KC_Hokie

Read more carefully. Nearly 100,000 had their account passwords reset because of the breach too.

^ Irony

Read more carefully ""These attempts appeal to include a large amount of data obtained from one or more compromised lists from other companies, sites or sources,""

TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TrapJak

[QUOTE="TrapJak"]

Stevo_the_gamer

PS3 interface?

The PS3 UI is not annoying in any way. It's straight foward, simple, and gets you to your destination. If you are referring to when I said the 360 UI was basic, I was trying to look for another word, and that came to mind. Mistake.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts
I like the layout. The biggest problem is it takes a while to load the icons >.> I'd also like the option to remove some parts of the XMB.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="JohnF111"] Read my post carefully....

So this is the first time you have seen/heard someone wish for Sony to update the user interface? :?
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
I like it the way it is. Very easy to navigate. Never really gave too much thought to a UI before
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]They just had a security breach two weeks ago.

Stevo_the_gamer

Wasn't that caused by another websites poor security where they got their information from and then tried to access Sony? Whereas, Sony correctly stopped and prevented it?

Sony had to preemptively lock nearly 100,000 accounts. Still shows they have security issues.

Again, I would rather they spend the money on security. I think that's a valid observation.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Ilike the PS3 UI. It's simple and pretty effective. It is a bit boring though.To be fair you can at lease spruce it up a bit with new themes. It far outclasses the 360 in that regard.

heretrix
I find the use of themes actually make it look worse--although, the design of the premium themes I used were from uninteresting games so that may in due part played a roll. Perhaps if I tried a Fallout, or Skyrim one (if there are any) my opinion would change. lols.
Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#31 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

heretrix

This, and you can always get free themes from the website or grab some if you really want to throw down the cash.:P I gotta say the Peace Walker theme is makes me happy sometimes.:P

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Sony had to preemptively lock nearly 100,000 accounts. Still shows they have security issues.

Again, I would rather they spend the money on security. I think that's a valid observation.

KC_Hokie

So because they promptly corrected the issue that was caused by a third party, Sony is at fault? :?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JohnF111
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] Read my post carefully....

So this is the first time you have seen/heard someone wish for Sony to update the user interface? :?

Only after MS release updates, but yeah a lot of people hate the interface, i don't mind it though. Everything is easy to get at in a simple form. I don't expect a change anytime soon, they already took away RAM and made it slower.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

The PS3 UI is not annoying in any way. It's straight foward, simple, and gets you to your destination. If you are referring to when I said the 360 UI was basic, I was trying to look for another word, and that came to mind. Mistake.

TrapJak

I can levy a variety of issues which I deem annoying, but that would be counter productive. You're welcomed to disagree, I just found that statement to be rather ironic since those two words define the PS3 interface in my eyes. Heh.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="JohnF111"] Only after MS release updates, but yeah a lot of people hate the interface, i don't mind it though. Everything is easy to get at in a simple form. I don't expect a change anytime soon, they already took away RAM and made it slower.

Perhaps, but it's an issue that's poked up throughout the variety of years of my posting here. :P
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Sony had to preemptively lock nearly 100,000 accounts. Still shows they have security issues.

Stevo_the_gamer

So because they promptly corrected the issue that was caused by a third party, Sony is at fault? :?

How in the hell would you know which specific accounts to lock unless you know what information was compromised?

But back to my point...I would rather they spent the money on security. Again, a valid point.

TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TrapJak

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Stevo_the_gamer

I find the use of themes actually make it look worse--although, the design of the premium themes I used were from uninteresting games so that may in due part played a roll. Perhaps if I tried a Fallout, or Skyrim one (if there are any) my opinion would change. lols.

Here's a custom made one for Skyrim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1a69k55-00

It's the one I used for 2 months. Pretty good one.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 W1NGMAN-

Ilike the PS3 UI. It's simple and pretty effective. It is a bit boring though.To be fair you can at lease spruce it up a bit with new themes. It far out****s the 360 in that regard.

heretrix

That's essentially the biggest thing missing from Stevo's post. Sure the default theme is boring but it's open to endless themes and personal customization while at the same time being easy to navigate through.

Go over to Youtube type in PS3 Themes and you're bound to find something you like and wanna display on your PS3.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JohnF111
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] Only after MS release updates, but yeah a lot of people hate the interface, i don't mind it though. Everything is easy to get at in a simple form. I don't expect a change anytime soon, they already took away RAM and made it slower.

Perhaps, but it's an issue that's poked up throughout the variety of years of my posting here. :P

Yeah i've seen them but mostly referring to MS either releasing or about to release a new UI which seems to point to Sony being required to match it.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

I didnt say its perfect, said its fine as it is, simple and easy to use but if they do change it thats very welcomed, im personally used to it and been gaming on that thing since 2007. only thing i like about the 360 tho is its store when they show you the games in retail looking boxes speaking of the online but thats a whole diffrent thing. no complain on my side anyways

finalstar2007

Again, that way of thinking permeates stagnation though. You're used to a design, so it's understandable that you don't want to jump out of the comfort zone, but why wouldn't you welcome an overhaul if it could fix a variety of issues behind the PS3 UI, and make it more attractive and vivid to use?

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Here's a custom made one for Skyrim.

TrapJak

Egh, that looks alright I suppose. Not very elaborate. :P

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I think the PS3's UI is fine. It's simple and easy to navigate, and isn't cluttered with ads like the 360's. I much prefer it to the Windows-8 like dashboard that will be coming to the 360 soon.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

I think the PS3's UI is fine. It's simple and easy to navigate, and isn't cluttered with ads like the 360's. I much prefer it to the Windows-8 like dashboard that will be coming to the 360 soon.

Vari3ty
How is the 360 interface "cluttered" with ads?
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 W1NGMAN-

[QUOTE="TrapJak"]Here's a custom made one for Skyrim.

Stevo_the_gamer

Egh, that looks alright I suppose. Not very elaborate. :P

Ever think about producing you're own theme? You seem to know what you're doing when it comes to graphic design, I'd honestly love to see what you could come up with.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I'd be incredibly saddened if they got rid of the XMB. The reason it's still there is because it's great. It's still better than anything Microsoft has tried for the 360.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Ever think about producing you're own theme? You seem to know what you're doing when it comes to graphic design, I'd honestly love to see what you could come up with.

W1NGMAN-

Never actually thought about it to be honest, although that YT video had me exceedingly curious to jump on it to make a better one.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

I'd be incredibly saddened if they got rid of the XMB. The reason it's still there is because it's great. It's still better than anything Microsoft has tried for the 360.

Phoenix534

The PS2 was great, so was Windows XP, and the source engine. Why get rid of those?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts
They just need to get rid of all the stuff i don't need in the in game XMB to make it load faster, it's purely practical what's needed really just little things like being able to hit the PS button when a msg comes in to read it instantly. I probably spend 10 seconds every session on the xmb so i don't care how it looks really.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Stevo_the_gamer

How is the 360 interface "cluttered" with ads?

Ok, perhaps cluttered isn't the right word. But I do see advertisements more often than on the PS3's, that's for sure.

Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zurrur
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

I don't need new UI for my consoles i only play games with them

There aren't any video streaming services or extra stuff in EU for consoles so it would be useless