What exactly is a neckbeard?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IDeedItDaBest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IDeedItDaBest
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I mean, I'm looking it up and seeing pictures. It seems like it's mostly just a stupid fad made up by little boys that can't grow beards. But I digress. Here's what makes sense as a neckbeard, as nothing is on his actual face: http://thesmugger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/large1.gif Then I see something ridiculous like this: http://newsimg.ngfiles.com/97000/97976_neckbeard.jpg Wherein his neck is not even seen in the picture and it looks like he's trying to grow in a goatee. Yet someone made that border to make fun of him with this neckbeard nonsense. One more example is this dude: http://enrico.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83451af4b69e20120a5c4f1da970b-800wi This is also referred to as a neckbeard, even though he clearly has facial hair all over the place. So what is it? Is it really just the first picture, and then dorks overuse it to refer to any kind of facial hair? I'm really curious about this.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I've always considered a "neckbeard" to be a full beard with a completely unshaven neck. Basically when a guy doesn't bother to clean up the neck, and lets it get real rustic. I've sported a nice neckbeard on several occasions. Any man who hasn't is missing out. :P

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
From my experience, a neckbeard is just a term given to "basement-dwellers" who happen to not care about things such as personal hygiene and the outside world.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts

peple who have beards that go all the way down to their adam's apple and back around the neck.

ie

aka the guys you see at midnight launches

CUDCUD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CUDCUD
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

A beard on someones neck...

The-Tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The-Tree
Member since 2010 • 3315 Posts

peple who have beards that go all the way down to their adam's apple and back around the neck.

ie

aka the guys you see at midnight launches

weezyfb

:lol: I laughed so hard because it's true!

IDeedItDaBest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IDeedItDaBest
Right, so, I've been thinking a lot about this, and doing analysis of people I see, whether in passing or on television. I've decided that this neckbeard nonsense was created by 15 year olds online about 6 years ago who were jealous that they couldn't grow beards, yet their nerdy counterparts could. Here's the thing. Ask your parents what a neckbeard is. Unless they're teachers or something similar that are around teens, they won't know. My dad's guess was that it's making fun of people who wear ties. Some kind of anti-authority punk thing. This wasn't a concept until recently, one of many "memes" of the internets. It's not considered a meme, though. Somehow it spread to become known as fact, that there are such things as neckbeards. There aren't. Nobody just grows hair down their neck. What is seemingly most known as a neckbeard is where the hair is all under the chin. Again, this annoys me because that is where facial hair mainly grows. So like I said, I've been observing. Short beards are in these days (I give credit to Game of Thrones) but there is one thing I keep noticing, especially among those who would consider themselves of great hygiene. They shave off an inch or so of beard! There is a visible difference between the stubble/tan lines and where the hair naturally doesn't grow. And honestly it looks pretty damn stupid. I know exactly why they do it, though. If they grew their beard naturally, idiots would make fun of them and call it a neckbeard. If they shave a certain amount off, it becomes fashionable. The whole thing is ridiculous.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#8 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
It's basically just a beard that people don't trim - in the case of basement dwelling internet types, they forgo any sort of personal hygiene whatsoever, including trimming their beard, and the result is an unkempt and unattactive neckbeard. Particularly when it comes to shaving the neck in an attempt to make the beard look more refined, but it also stretches to not trimming a beard whatsoever.
IDeedItDaBest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IDeedItDaBest
http://www.officialpsds.com/images/thumbs/TNAs-James-Storm-psd57297.png There's a good picture of this guy's beard. As you can see, he shaves off all the hair around his Adam's apple and logic tells me it's because he is afraid of being called a neckbeard. It looks stupid as hell like this though.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
I think it's unfair to say untrimmed beards are unhygienic, as long as you keep it clean there's nothing wrong with it. As for what I do, I either let it grow or shave it all off, none of this "trimming" and "styling" bull ****.