THIRD CONSOLE CURSE: Why the next Xbox will fail for sure!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

READ THE OP BEFORE RESPONDING!!!

Seriously, every single hardware manufacturer in the video games industry so far has been hit by the third console curse.

Atari had it going good with the Atari 2600 (they were the market leaders). Whereas the Atari 5200 failed to even achieve a modicum of success, it was the Atari Jaguar that absolutely pulled Atari down under, also becoming one of the worst consoles of all time in the process.

Sega failed to make any kind of impact in the video game market with the Master System. With the Genesis, though, they came in all guns blazing, and had a virtual monopoly on the market for many, many years. Then they threw that all away with the Sega Saturn- although the Saturn has quite a few gems that should be played by all, the system was largely responsible for Sega's ultimate demise.

Nintendo started good with the NES, achieving total market monopoly, the kinds of which would never be seen in the video game industry, ever again. They followed it up with the SNES, which had some trouble competing with the Genesis, but ultimately came out on the top. Then they came out with the N64, a system which lost them their market leading position, most of the third party support that they held (something that is still a problem with Nintendo systems to this day), and basically it took them two console generations to recover. In the process, tough, the N64 ended up being one of the greatest and most influential systems of all time.

Sony started off with the Playstation, a system which totally took the gaming industry by storm, expanding the scope and reach of games and gaming, and helping the medium mature. Following up the monstrous success of the Playstation with the PS2, Sony unleashed a beast of the system that is almost inarguably the greatest game system ever released. However, that was followed up with the Playstation 3, a system that lost Sony their market leading position, reduing them to the third place, lost them billions of dollars in investment, tarnished the Playstation brand, and lost most of the third party exclusives that Sony had once held. Of course, the PS3 is a great success, but for Sony, it is nothing short of a dismal failure.

So far, Microsoft failed to make much of an impact with their first system, the Xbox. With their second system, the Xbox 360, however, they have been in a market leading position for five full years now, also stealing away all of the Playstation's exclusives and overall consolidating their market position. As for the third Xbox? Well...

My question: will Microsoft fall to the third console curse too? Every hardware manufacturer has fallen to it so far. And if they do, what can we expect? So far, they seem to be following Sega's trajectory (whereas Sony seems to be following Nintendo's), so can we expect a puzzling, baffling, rushed, frankenstein of a system like the Saturn was? Or will it be something else entirely? Discuss!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
So I edited the topic title to something slightly more provocative to get more hits :P Hopefully, that won't detract from the discussion much.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

How can something be both a success and a dismal failure? That makes no goddamned sense whatsoever.

xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts
we sit here and criticize what is a success and failure. we are not the company they have goals and if they are still in the business then they are having some kind of success. just because it isnt no1 selling console ww doesnt mean its a failure. if the next system sells less than 360 it would have to be by a wide margin like 20+ million consoles to be considered a failure I would believe. MS WILL BE FINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

How can something be both a success and a dismal failure? That makes no goddamned sense whatsoever.

worlock77
For gamers, it's a success because it has great games. For Sony, it lost them pretty much everything, so it's a failure. Make sense?
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Microsoft already had their's in advance wth their first console :P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Technically, the 360 is Microsoft's third console as th Windows PC can be counted as a console.

danjones2k9
No, it cannot. Windows is an OS for the PC that just happens to be the SOFTWARE BASE on which most game developers choose to make their games.
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Sega didn't have the money to change their fate. MS on the other hand will be able to make enough ads to reach good sales numbers. Just look at the Kinect xD

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

Part of me thinks Microsoft will be very reluctant to move on, thanks to the runaway success of Kinect.

Microsoft is making a mint on the thing right now. And as such, I think Microsoft will employ delay tactics in order to stall this gen as long as possible.

Since the Xbox brand has become ubiquitous with online shooters, I think they'll be moderately successful in that.

But Nintendo's trying to jump-start the 8th gen with Cafe and 3DS announcements.

If Microsoft were forced into releasing a new console by Nintendo, they'd be woefully under-prepared to release anything in the next two years.

If the 360 was the Genesis, I highly suspect the 720 to be the Saturn if Nintendo really gets the ball rolling on the 8th gen.

Arthas017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Arthas017
Member since 2010 • 295 Posts

I doubt M$ will go the same way Sony did with the PS3, I think they can manage to retain at least their FPS fan base, but probably a lot more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Sega didn't have the money to change their fate. MS on the other hand will be able to make enough ads to reach good sales numbers. Just look at the Kinect xD

ArchoNils2
Oh wait, I forgot about that parallel! Just before the launch of the Saturn, Sega launched the 32x, an add on for the Genesis. This means that when it released the Saturn, it was supporting three systems in effect- the Genesis, the 32x and the Saturn. With the Kinect fragmenting the Xbox market as well, it seems that Microsoft is following the Sega route to an almost scary extent.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Errr how is the 360 in a "market leading position for five full years now"
the1stmoonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 the1stmoonfly
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

Dont really know where to start with the plethora of errors in the first post. I doubt any of the next lineup of console will be a failure like the biggest ones from history.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

the Xbox 360, however, they have been in a market leading position for five full years now, charizard1605

what's this now? are we forgetting something?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Errr how is the 360 in a "market leading position for five full years now"blue_hazy_basic
It's been leading against the PS3. True, there's the Wii too, but one could argue (quite accurately) that it's not in the same market.
TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
Well, Sony has come out the big winner this gen, so perhaps they broke the curse?
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Part of me thinks Microsoft will be very reluctant to move on, thanks to the runaway success of Kinect.

Microsoft is making a mint on the thing right now. And as such, I think Microsoft will employ delay tactics in order to stall this gen as long as possible.

Since the Xbox brand has become ubiquitous with online shooters, I think they'll be moderately successful in that.

But Nintendo's trying to jump-start the 8th gen with Cafe and 3DS announcements.

If Microsoft were forced into releasing a new console by Nintendo, they'd be woefully under-prepared to release anything in the next two years.

If the 360 was the Genesis, I highly suspect the 720 to be the Saturn if Nintendo really gets the ball rolling on the 8th gen.

peterw007

I don't think they are under-prepared. They probably just give the possibility to use Kinect on their next system. Just like I expect the Move will be compatible to the PS4 :/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Well, Sony has come out the big winner this gen, so perhaps they broke the curse?TheMoreYouOwn
They went from an install base of 150 million plus to 50 million. They went from being market leaders to distant third place trailers. They lost all their third party exclusives. Their system isn't the lead platform for console development any more. The Playstation brand lost a lot of equity. How did they emerge winner? How could anyone possibly argue that they were the winners at all?
the1stmoonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 the1stmoonfly
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

[QUOTE="ArchoNils2"]

charizard1605

Oh wait, I forgot about that parallel! Just before the launch of the Saturn, Sega launched the 32x, an add on for the Genesis. This means that when it released the Saturn, it was supporting three systems in effect- the Genesis, the 32x and the Saturn. With the Kinect fragmenting the Xbox market as well, it seems that Microsoft is following the Sega route to an almost scary extent.

I dont think you understand the business side of things well at all. The Kinect is nothing like another console to support. The Kinect could totally bomb and it wouldnt really affect the 360 on the whole.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

[QUOTE="TheMoreYouOwn"]Well, Sony has come out the big winner this gen, so perhaps they broke the curse?charizard1605
They went from an install base of 150 million plus to 50 million. They went from being market leaders to distant third place trailers. They lost all their third party exclusives. Their system isn't the lead platform for console development any more. The Playstation brand lost a lot of equity. How did they emerge winner? How could anyone possibly argue that they were the winners at all?

Exactly. Sony is soo far from winners.

daledoback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 daledoback
Member since 2011 • 148 Posts

[QUOTE="TheMoreYouOwn"]Well, Sony has come out the big winner this gen, so perhaps they broke the curse?charizard1605

He was kidding. I think...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="ArchoNils2"]

the1stmoonfly

I dont think you understand the business side of things well at all. The Kinect is nothing like another console to support. The Kinect could totally bomb and it wouldnt really affect the 360 on the whole.

Oh no, I understand it all quite well, I just think it's fun to point out these similarities. As a side note, I hope you know that shareholders kind of gave Microsoft an ultimatum with the Kinect. If it had failed, they would have been forced to withdraw from the consoles business.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TheMoreYouOwn"]Well, Sony has come out the big winner this gen, so perhaps they broke the curse?daledoback

Knowing his posting history, I doubt he was.
Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts
First off Sega launched the Genesis, then the Sega CD, then the 32X, Saturn then Dreamcast. All the "3rds" in this list are wrong. And second why do Sony and Microsoft fanboys discount the Wii. People claim Sony or Microsoft won this generation when clearly Nintendo has. By a large margin. Come on system wars!
peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 peterw007

I don't think they are under-prepared. They probably just give the possibility to use Kinect on their next system. Just like I expect the Move will be compatible to the PS4 :/

ArchoNils2

Yeah there'll definitely be some kind of "next-gen" Kinect associated with the next iteration of Microsoft's hardware.

But I still think Microsoft's success is definitely contingent on how successful Nintendo is.

Project Cafe is obviously going to be the console with the year head-start this time.

If it captures the interest of gamers and becomes *the* definitive console next-gen, Microsoft is going to have a very difficult time competing with that.

But if Cafe becomes another iteration of the Wii, I could see Microsoft bouncing back in 2013 with the 720.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
First off Sega launched the Genesis, then the Sega CD, then the 32X, Saturn then Dreamcast. All the "3rds" in this list are wrong. And second why do Sony and Microsoft fanboys discount the Wii. People claim Sony or Microsoft won this generation when clearly Nintendo has. By a large margin. Come on system wars!GoldenElementXL
Er, the Saturn was the third Sega system, after the Master System and the Genesis. What other thirds are wrong with this post?
Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

Not really.

M$ has more than enough fuel to keep in going.

1. XBL = practically become the "standard" for console online gaming.
  2. 3rd party support is titanium strong on the platform.
  3. Key franchises and exclusives are locked on the platform
  4. M$ is still a powerful brand as Nintendo and Sony.
  5. MS consoles and PC architecture have been typically similar (Direct X), making transitions easier. Next MS platform will NOT be any different. This makes it easier for 3rd party developers.
felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

'tis true, just having a 3 in its title is what's going to make the 3DS fail miserably.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts
[QUOTE="GoldenElementXL"]First off Sega launched the Genesis, then the Sega CD, then the 32X, Saturn then Dreamcast. All the "3rds" in this list are wrong. And second why do Sony and Microsoft fanboys discount the Wii. People claim Sony or Microsoft won this generation when clearly Nintendo has. By a large margin. Come on system wars!charizard1605
Er, the Saturn was the third Sega system, after the Master System and the Genesis. What other thirds are wrong with this post?

1 master system, 2 genesis, 3 SEGA CD, 1 32X, 2 saturn, 3 DREAMCAST. I was referring to the every 3rd sega system.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#31 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

'tis true, just having a 3 in its title is what's going to make the 3DS fail miserably.

felipebo
But, the 3DS isn't Nintendo's third handheld. :|
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#32 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Nice read. I never noticed the third console curse before but this makes me wonder whether or not Microsoft can survive in this industry and for how much longer.

If they go I'd like to see Sega return.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts
hard to say. maybe they should just to keep up tradition :P. seriously though until we know more on the 720 and MSs business strategy its hard to say. the N64 failed because ninty did incredibly stupid things (and im not just talking about carts). the PS3 collapsed compared to the PS2 for the same reason.....sony just completly lost the plot and did monumentally silly things with the PS3. so we shall see. is MSs practice of buying in content for the 360 (either permanent or times exclusive) goign to backfire with the 720? is the market goign to reject the live business model? is MSs decision to essentially forgoe a first party going to bit them on the a**. a very definate maybe :P.
peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 peterw007

[QUOTE="GoldenElementXL"]First off Sega launched the Genesis, then the Sega CD, then the 32X, Saturn then Dreamcast. All the "3rds" in this list are wrong. And second why do Sony and Microsoft fanboys discount the Wii. People claim Sony or Microsoft won this generation when clearly Nintendo has. By a large margin. Come on system wars!charizard1605

Technically you're both wrong.

Sega released five main consoles:

• 1. Sega SG-1000
  • 2. Sega Master System
  • 3. Sega Mega Drive / Genesis
    • Sega Mega-CD
    • Sega 32X
  • 4. Sega Saturn
  • 5. Sega Dreamcast

Sega Mega-CD and Sega 32X were hardware addons to the Genesis.

AugustusGraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AugustusGraham
Member since 2011 • 343 Posts

Seriously, every single hardware manufacturer in the video games industry so far has been hit by the third console curse.

Atari had it going good with the Atari 2600 (they were the market leaders). Whereas the Atari 5200 failed to even achieve a modicum of success, it was the Atari Jaguar that absolutely pulled Atari down under, also becoming one of the worst consoles of all time in the process.

Sega failed to make any kind of impact in the video game market with the Master System. With the Genesis, though, they came in all guns blazing, and had a virtual monopoly on the market for many, many years. Then they threw that all away with the Sega Saturn- although the Saturn has quite a few gems that should be played by all, the system was largely responsible for Sega's ultimate demise.

Nintendo started good with the NES, achieving total market monopoly, the kinds of which would never be seen in the video game industry, ever again. They followed it up with the SNES, which had some trouble competing with the Genesis, but ultimately came out on the top. Then they came out with the N64, a system which lost them their market leading position, most of the third party support that they held (something that is still a problem with Nintendo systems to this day), and basically it took them two console generations to recover. In the process, tough, the N64 ended up being one of the greatest and most influential systems of all time.

Sony started off with the Playstation, a system which totally took the gaming industry by storm, expanding the scope and reach of games and gaming, and helping the medium mature. Following up the monstrous success of the Playstation with the PS2, Sony unleashed a beast of the system that is almost inarguably the greatest game system ever released. However, that was followed up with the Playstation 3, a system that lost Sony their market leading position, reduing them to the third place, lost them billions of dollars in investment, tarnished the Playstation brand, and lost most of the third party exclusives that Sony had once held. Of course, the PS3 is a great success, but for Sony, it is nothing short of a dismal failure.

So far, Microsoft failed to make much of an impact with their first system, the Xbox. With their second system, the Xbox 360, however, they have been in a market leading position for five full years now, also stealing away all of the Playstation's exclusives and overall consolidating their market position. As for the third Xbox? Well...

My question: will Microsoft fall to the third console curse too? Every hardware manufacturer has fallen to it so far. And if they do, what can we expect? So far, they seem to be following Sega's trajectory (whereas Sony seems to be following Nintendo's), so can we expect a puzzling, baffling, rushed, frankenstein of a system like the Saturn was? Or will it be something else entirely? Discuss!

charizard1605

Try not to contradict yourself

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheMoreYouOwn

[QUOTE="daledoback"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] They went from an install base of 150 million plus to 50 million. They went from being market leaders to distant third place trailers. They lost all their third party exclusives. Their system isn't the lead platform for console development any more. The Playstation brand lost a lot of equity. How did they emerge winner? How could anyone possibly argue that they were the winners at all?charizard1605

Well...150mil over a span of a decade. Different console and different times. If you look at all the consoles, none of them have broken a 100mil. Distant 3rd? Please. It's right on 360's tail. Not sure where you got the "lost all third party exclusives" from. Plus, PS3 has the best first party developers, and as much as some would like to deny, exclusives have always mattered in the gaming industry. System isn't the lead platform? Don't be so sure. There are many that are developed on the ps3 first then ported. Dead Space 2, Vanquish, LA Noire, just as examples. And there have been articles discussing the shift to ps3 as lead platform development:

Developers Shift to Leading on PS3

Ubisoft

PS3 ousting Xbox as lead platform

EA focus on PS3 as lead platform

PS3 is taking it's lumps right now, what with hacking, but distant 3rd? C'mon now.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Demonjoe93

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

AugustusGraham

Try not to contradict yourself

I think he meant a success in terms of quality of games.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="daledoback"]

TheMoreYouOwn

Well...150mil over a span of a decade. Different console and different times. If you look at all the consoles, none of them have broken a 100mil. Distant 3rd? Please. It's right on 360's tail. Not sure where you got the "lost all third party exclusives" from. Plus, PS3 has the best first party developers, and as much as some would like to deny, exclusives have always mattered in the gaming industry. System isn't the lead platform? Don't be so sure. There are many that are developed on the ps3 first then ported. Dead Space 2, Vanquish, LA Noire, just as examples. And there have been articles discussing the shift to ps3 as lead platform development:

Developers Shift to Leading on PS3

Ubisoft

PS3 ousting Xbox as lead platform

EA focus on PS3 as lead platform

PS3 is taking it's lumps right now, what with hacking, but distant 3rd? C'mon now.

If the PS3 was a success, what would the PS2 be classified as? Godly? PS3 was not a success. Who thought the PS3 would be in this position 7 years ago?
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#39 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

Char, don't make me mad. :PThough you make an interesting point, it's not really so black and white. The Jaguar and Saturn were failures, but the PS3 and N64 are very popular to this day, though the former is more *commercially* successful than the other. The PS3 has done quite well in the later years, I don't see how it's a failure. However, here's my counter-argument: the DS or the GBA. I sayor because the Virtual Boy may be taken into the equation. Both were massively successful and either the second/third or third/fourth of their kind. The DS has broken entire records even. At this point in the video game medium, I don't think failures will be even remotely possible. The competition is too hard for anything like that to occur. So even though I'm no MS fan, I predict only good tidings for their next console.

felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

[QUOTE="felipebo"]

nintendoboy16

But it's in the third dimension :o

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 peterw007

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="felipebo"]

felipebo

But it's in the third dimension :o

Reality is in the third dimension as well. Does that mean reality is destined to fail as well? :o

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
I wouldn't consider the PS3 a failure. :?
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Demonjoe93

I wouldn't consider the PS3 a failure. :?Heil68

They're referring to it as a financial failure. Even though the PS3 has many great games on it, it isn't selling very well.

7suarez7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 7suarez7
Member since 2011 • 121 Posts
The matter of fact is Microsoft have made FAR more money than Sony this generation since Sony have LOST money with the PS3, it is a huge failure. Also, I will bet my house that Microsoft will release their next console about a year after Nintendo's and because of that it will be similar spec-wise. This could result in a repeat of 360/PS3 with Cafe being the 360 of the next gen, but will obviously be aimed at casuals too. If Sony don't act fast then the PS4 will fail harder than the PS3.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Why people keep saying that the PS3 went from 150 million to 50.? The PS2 sold 150 in 11 + years. The PS3 has sold 50 million is 4 and half years. When the PS2 was 4 and half years old it was at 77 million not 150 millions,basically half of what they have now.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

ms could always make the least powerful system, that seems to get you a lock on winning the gen.

Drakan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Drakan11
Member since 2009 • 763 Posts
PS3 more like a disappointment then a failure. Didn't achieve the same level of success as its predecessors, but ultimately made the company a decent chunk of money and provided gamers with some amazing titles.
TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheMoreYouOwn

I wouldn't consider the PS3 a failure. :?

Heil68