Rob Woodall On Medicare: 'When Do I Decide I'm Going To Take Care Of Me?'

• 183 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

A Woodall constituent raised a practical obstacle to obtaining coverage in the private market within the confines of an employer-based health insurance system: What happens when you retire?

"The private corporation that I retired from does not give medical benefits to retirees," the woman told the congressman in video captured a local Patch reporter in Dacula, Ga.

"Hear yourself, ma'am. Hear yourself," Woodall told the woman. "You want the government to take care of you, because your employer decided not to take care of you. My question is, 'When do I decide I'm going to take care of me?'"

Link

Of course, he gets government provided healthcare when he retires regardless of what happens to medicare. He also neglected to mention that healthcare costs will rise faster than the voucher system is designedto and inflation is expected to.

Thoughts?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
If that's his attitude, why should she pay tax? :| That's what i don't get about a lot of Republicans who seem to think the government owes you nothing. That individual has presumably paid taxes all of their working life seeing as they are now retired, no?
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
If that's his attitude, why should she pay tax? :| That's what i don't get about a lot of Republicans who seem to think the government owes you nothing. That individual has presumably paid taxes all of their working life seeing as they are now retired, no? Ninja-Hippo
Yes, but those taxes have to go into other things. Do Americans not understand they have to be self-sufficient? Living off Welfare and Medicare dont exactly do anything for the country.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]If that's his attitude, why should she pay tax? :| That's what i don't get about a lot of Republicans who seem to think the government owes you nothing. That individual has presumably paid taxes all of their working life seeing as they are now retired, no? Nibroc420
Yes, but those taxes have to go into other things. Do Americans not understand they have to be self-sufficient? Living off Welfare and Medicare dont exactly do anything for the country.

Medicare primarily covers the elderly, whose medical costs are sufficiently high in the aggregate that it would be unprofitable for private insurance companies to cover them.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]If that's his attitude, why should she pay tax? :| That's what i don't get about a lot of Republicans who seem to think the government owes you nothing. That individual has presumably paid taxes all of their working life seeing as they are now retired, no? GabuEx

Medicare primarily covers the elderly, whose medical costs are sufficiently high in the aggregate that it would be unprofitable for private insurance companies to cover them.

Which is what RRSPs are for, as well as the numerous other ways intelligent people save for the "Hardships" of retirement. Living off the taxes of others,while not paying into them, then complaining when the money runs out is a little stupid, is it not?
CattiJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 CattiJack
Member since 2005 • 130 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]If that's his attitude, why should she pay tax? :| That's what i don't get about a lot of Republicans who seem to think the government owes you nothing. That individual has presumably paid taxes all of their working life seeing as they are now retired, no? GabuEx

It's worth it to alot of people and changes lots of lives. I know veterans and old guys who have lived well past there expiration date.

They do take heavy amounts of pills received from VA, medicare, and medicaid: But atleast they're happy all the time and functioning :]

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Yes, but those taxes have to go into other things. Do Americans not understand they have to be self-sufficient? Living off Welfare and Medicare dont exactly do anything for the country.CattiJack

It's worth it to alot of people and changes lots of lives. I know veterans and old guys who have lived well past there expiration date.

They do take heavy amounts of pills received from VA, medicare, and medicaid: But atleast they're happy all the time and functioning :]

If we didn't have to conform to this "I'm 70, but pay for my drugs so i can be nearly comatose (yet alive) until 110" There'd be so much less starvation in the world.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
[QUOTE="CattiJack"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Nibroc420

If we didn't have to conform to this "I'm 70, but pay for my drugs so i can be nearly comatose (yet alive) until 110" There'd be so much less starvation in the world.

Thats pretty harsh, and stupid. Average living age is around 75( averaging both men and women). Rarely do people live to be 110. Do you think just because they're old, they're worthless and not worthy of care? They've already contributed to society and the productivity of the US- I think they should get a little bit more respect than that
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="CattiJack"]

DivergeUnify

Thats pretty harsh, and stupid. Average living age is around 75( averaging both men and women). Rarely do people live to be 110. Do you think just because they're old, they're worthless and not worthy of care? They've already contributed to society and the productivity of the US- I think they should get a little bit more respect than that

As the average living expectancy increases, so should the retirement age.

CattiJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CattiJack

[QUOTE="CattiJack"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Nibroc420

You are very naive and quick to be bleak. It isn't like that at all, 70-110? Are we talking about World War 2 or something? You don't have to conform to anything. You're sitting at a computer stuffing your face at this moment why would you care about starvation?

It's funny how you think that they will end up nearly comatose when actually they do come back like that or dead.

The fact is it's better for someone to have their father come back, receive help, and start promoting a normal life again.

Instead of having them return a crazy recluse and thanking your country for eliminating that loved person from your life in any conventional sense.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DivergeUnify

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] If we didn't have to conform to this "I'm 70, but pay for my drugs so i can be nearly comatose (yet alive) until 110" There'd be so much less starvation in the world.Nibroc420

As the average living expectancy increases, so should the retirement age.

Capability doesn't really scale so well with living expectancy
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nibroc420

It's funny how you think that they will end up nearly comatose when actually they do come back like that or dead.

CattiJack

Stop twisting my words.

I'm saying in todays society people keep their loved ones alive in a near comatose state, consuming food/medicine simply to prolong the ineviatable.
If someone wants to be hooked up to medical equipment for the last 20 years of their life, from 90-110 or whatever, than they should pay for it.

Rather, everyone expects to government to pay them welfare checks, and for their healthcare, so they dont have to do anything with themselves except be consumers of food and medicine in a desperate attempt to maintain life. How about instead of paying into welfare, we force idiots to get jobs, and donate money to countries where jobs and food are not as readily availible as in the west?

Nope, Sitting on your ***, getting free $$$, and having the government pay all your medical bills is way easier.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

[QUOTE="CattiJack"]

Nibroc420

Stop twisting my words.

I'm saying in todays society people keep their loved ones alive in a near comatose state, consuming food/medicine simply to prolong the ineviatable.
If someone wants to be hooked up to medical equipment for the last 20 years of their life, from 90-110 or whatever, than they should pay for it.

Rather, everyone expects to government to pay them welfare checks, and for their healthcare, so they dont have to do anything with themselves except be consumers of food and medicine in a desperate attempt to maintain life. How about instead of paying into welfare, we force idiots to get jobs, and donate money to countries where jobs and food are not as readily availible as in the west?

Nope, Sitting on your ***, getting free $$$, and having the government pay all your medical bills is way easier.

I do not know about you, but I value human life far over money. Medical costs are high in, especially for the elderly (which is a related albiet seperate topic of disccusion) and paying for them yourself would likely put a good portion of people into debt and make their lives more miserable without aid from programs like Medicare.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DivergeUnify

[QUOTE="CattiJack"]

Nibroc420

Stop twisting my words.

Can you stop using this figure of 90-100? Its not accurate

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="CattiJack"]

DarkGamer007

Stop twisting my words.

I do not know about you, but I value human life far over money. Medical costs are high in, especially for the elderly (which is a related albiet seperate topic of disccusion) and paying for them yourself would likely put a good portion of people into debt and make their lives more miserable without aid from programs like Medicare.

I'd rather save a starving child, than a 70 year old man who's already lived his life. If that 70 year old man wants to live another 20 years hooked up to a resperator, feeding tubes, and bed pans...

Well thats his choice, but IMO a child > old man.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkGamer007

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

Stop twisting my words.

Nibroc420

I'd rather save a starving child, than a 70 year old man who's already lived his life. If that 70 year old man wants to live another 20 years hooked up to a resperator, feeding tubes, and bed pans...

Then donate to a charity if you want to save a child. You imply as if we cannot have programs like Medicare and care for the elderly and help children that are starving elsewhere. :|

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

DarkGamer007

Then donate to a charity if you want to save a child. You imply as if we cannot have programs like Medicare and care for the elderly and help children that are starving elsewhere. :|

I'm saying people should stop QQing about the Government not paying their medical bills if they want to prolong their life past reasonable expectations. I pay taxes, those taxes pay for health care. I dont want those taxes going to pay for someone's comatose 112 year old grandmother because they want to keep her alive. There's more important things to focus on as a society.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DivergeUnify
[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] I'd rather save a starving child, than a 70 year old man who's already lived his life. If that 70 year old man wants to live another 20 years hooked up to a resperator, feeding tubes, and bed pans...

Nibroc420

I'm saying people should stop QQing about the Government not paying their medical bills if they want to prolong their life past reasonable expectations. I pay taxes, those taxes pay for health care. I dont want those taxes going to pay for someone's comatose 112 year old grandmother because they want to keep her alive. There's more important things to focus on as a society.

Why do you keep using these extreme outliers? How many 112 year old people do you know? 120 is old enough to make the news, so I'm curious...
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Yes, but those taxes have to go into other things. Do Americans not understand they have to be self-sufficient? Living off Welfare and Medicare dont exactly do anything for the country.CattiJack

I'm not arguing that it's not worth it; I'm saying that it would be impossible for the elderly to get medical coverage without Medicare. I'm agreeing with you. :P

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkGamer007

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] I'd rather save a starving child, than a 70 year old man who's already lived his life. If that 70 year old man wants to live another 20 years hooked up to a resperator, feeding tubes, and bed pans...

Nibroc420

There may be "more" important things to focus on as a society, but human life is still important and programs like Medicare are not just for people who are 112 years old that are comatose, they go to people who are 65, 70, 80 that are still working, retired, or ill to try and keep them health for as long as possible. Maybe someday you will see what I am talking about, when you are 75 and in need of a heart transplant that will add many health years to your life expectancy but will cost some $10,000 which you cannot pay for yourself because you are retired.

CattiJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CattiJack

[QUOTE="CattiJack"]

Nibroc420

Thank you for informing us that you absolutely know nothing. And we now know you would pull your 110 yearold's grandpas plug at any chance you had all just because he's costing you big time. His long life and hard work raising your parent and basically responsible for your genes and very existance and placement in this world earns no respect from you! Just a quick "thanks for sitting on your bum, and enjoying the free ride" with a sharp flat line from the heart monitor. *rolls eyes in dramatic fanshion*

Oh well.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GabuEx

I dont want those taxes going to pay for someone's comatose 112 year old grandmother because they want to keep her alive.Nibroc420

Fortunately, each individual taxpayer does not get to earmark his tax dollars, or else nothing would ever get done.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

DarkGamer007

There may be "more" important things to focus on as a society, but human life is still important and programs like Medicare are not just for people who are 112 years old that are comatose, they go to people who are 65, 70, 80 that are still working, retired, or ill to try and keep them health for as long as possible. Maybe someday you will see what I am talking about, when you are 75 and in need of a heart transplant that will add many health years to your life expectancy but will cost some $10,000 which you cannot pay for yourself because you are retired.

When i'm 75, and my heart fails (as you have foretold) I'm sure i'll be happy that my life has been great, and i'll understand that everyone has an end. I'd rather die in my sleep, than in a hospital bed hooked up to 8-12 different machines to help me breathe, eat, and perform basic bodily functions. Maybe it's just me?
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DarkGamer007

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] I'm saying people should stop QQing about the Government not paying their medical bills if they want to prolong their life past reasonable expectations. I pay taxes, those taxes pay for health care. I dont want those taxes going to pay for someone's comatose 112 year old grandmother because they want to keep her alive. There's more important things to focus on as a society.Nibroc420

When i'm 75, and my heart fails (as you have foretold) I'm sure i'll be happy that my life has been great, and i'll understand that everyone has an end. I'd rather die in my sleep, than in a hospital bed hooked up to 8-12 different machines to help me breathe, eat, and perform basic bodily functions. Maybe it's just me?

I don't know about you but not every operation, even a heart transplant, means you become a vegetable. Operations are expensive and costly but people do come out still able to live and function on there own after a healing peroid.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="CattiJack"]

CattiJack

Thank you for informing us that you absolutely know nothing. And we now know you would pull your 110 yearold's grandpas plug at any chance you had all just because he's costing you big time. His long life and hard work raising your parent and basically responsible for your genes and very existance and placement in this world earns no respect from you! Just a quick "thanks for sitting on your bum, and enjoying the free ride" with a sharp flat line from the heart monitor. *rolls eyes in dramatic fanshion*

Oh well.

And now you're trying to make this a moral issue? I'm saying that people live X years. If someone wants to live X+5 years, and during those 5 years they do nothing at all, why should they get a free ride? Everyone should have a retirement, but at what point do we say "Alright, you're so ****ing old it's pretty clear you could die any day now, why are you worth $100,000 a year?" That money has TONS of other places it would prove to be more useful. Spend 100,000 a year to maintain life of a 90 year old woman who's now in a coma? or Spend 100,000 ONCE to greatly increase quality of life for years to come in several poverty ridden villages around the globe. Which is more worth it? Currently the USA is ****ed financially, and a line has to be drawn before the majority of the population hits retirement age.
white_wolf922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 white_wolf922
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

I say we just go to a single-payer system like ever other country in the modern world. We should ban all private health insurance companies. Their nothing more than vultures.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]I dont want those taxes going to pay for someone's comatose 112 year old grandmother because they want to keep her alive.GabuEx

Fortunately, each individual taxpayer does not get to earmark his tax dollars, or else nothing would ever get done.

Good thing too. Could you imagine getting a receipt in the mail with 'Congrats citizen! Your tax payer money has gone toward purchasing 1/20th of a tomahawk missile!"
CattiJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CattiJack

When i'm 75, and my heart fails (as you have foretold) I'm sure i'll be happy that my life has been great, and i'll understand that everyone has an end. I'd rather die in my sleep, than in a hospital bed hooked up to 8-12 different machines to help me breathe, eat, and perform basic bodily functions. Maybe it's just me?Nibroc420

What a tremendous end to an epic life! I can see it now so vividly in my mind, one day at 4:20 you will be inspired to leave your computer and go on an epic quest to pull the plugs of as many vegetables as you can endure to save the glorious money!

This journey is long and hard, infact so long that you'll be 110 by the time its over. Then as you sit in your inextricable state your beloved children will pull your plug.

Because they possessed the math wrath perk, they deduced if you had X more years to live then they would gladly cut it short for 100,000$ they most definitely would receive.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DarkGamer007

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]When i'm 75, and my heart fails (as you have foretold) I'm sure i'll be happy that my life has been great, and i'll understand that everyone has an end. I'd rather die in my sleep, than in a hospital bed hooked up to 8-12 different machines to help me breathe, eat, and perform basic bodily functions. Maybe it's just me?CattiJack

What a tremendous end to an epic life! I can see it now so vividly in my mind, one day at 4:20 you will be inspired to leave your computer and go on an epic quest to pull the plugs of as many vegetables as you can endure to save the glorious money!

This journey is long and hard, infact so long that you'll be 110 by the time its over. Then as you sit in your inextricable state your beloved children will pull your plug.

Because they possessed the math wrath perk, they deduced if you had X more years to live then they would gladly cut it short for 100,000$ they most definitely would receive.

I like how he insists that a person can decide how long another person should live. :|

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="CattiJack"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]When i'm 75, and my heart fails (as you have foretold) I'm sure i'll be happy that my life has been great, and i'll understand that everyone has an end. I'd rather die in my sleep, than in a hospital bed hooked up to 8-12 different machines to help me breathe, eat, and perform basic bodily functions. Maybe it's just me?DarkGamer007

I like how he insists that a person can decide how long another person should live. :|

How long SOCIETY should foot the bill for people who're in comas, or Munchhausen syndrome You just dont get it.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DarkGamer007

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

[QUOTE="CattiJack"]

Nibroc420

How long SOCIETY should foot the bill for people who're in comas, or Munchhausen syndrome You just dont get it.

I don't think you get it that every retired person isn't in a coma and/or a vegetable and that just normal health costs for the elderly who still function fine can be costly because they need medication or therapy to function properly.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nibroc420

DarkGamer007

I don't think you get it that every retired person isn't in a coma and/or a vegetable and that just normal health costs for the elderly who still function fine can be costly because they need medication or therapy to function properly.

So in order to function properly, elderly people need X,Y,Z things and they're unable to pay for them themselves. Yet they receive regular retirement cheques, and if they were intelligent, they would have put money away for retirement. I'm saying that at what point does the "Free healthcare" end? Average life expectancy is like 80, so when someone's 90, should we be paying for weekly/monthly medical bills to maintain their life? Or should they let nature take it's course?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GabuEx

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] How long SOCIETY should foot the bill for people who're in comas, or Munchhausen syndrome You just dont get it.Nibroc420

So in order to function properly, elderly people need X,Y,Z things and they're unable to pay for them themselves. Yet they receive regular retirement cheques, and if they were intelligent, they would have put money away for retirement. I'm saying that at what point does the "Free healthcare" end? Average life expectancy is like 80, so when someone's 90, should we be paying for weekly/monthly medical bills to maintain their life? Or should they let nature take it's course?

Elderly people have been paying payroll taxes their entire lives, and that all goes towards Social Security and Medicare. They are, in effect, doing exactly what you are suggesting they do, that being putting money aside so they will have it when they are old, except now you are saying, hold on a second there, they shouldn't be able to make use of that money they've been paying into the system because they're old.

It's not "free healthcare"; it's the healthcare they've been paying for their entire life so they'd have it when they retire.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nibroc420

GabuEx

Elderly people have been paying payroll taxes their entire lives, and that all goes towards Social Security and Medicare. They are, in effect, doing exactly what you are suggesting they do, that being putting money aside so they will have it when they are old, except now you are saying, hold on a second there, they shouldn't be able to make use of that money they've been paying into the system because they're old.

They only put in so much, and i really doubt they only make back as much as they put in. Especially if you add on medicare.
CattiJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CattiJack

GabuEx

It's not "free healthcare"; it's the healthcare they've been paying for their entire life so they'd have it when they retire.

Thank you GabuEx for proving how much he really understands. Not sure where he's getting the vegetable bed stricken thing from. Maybe he just read Johnny got his gun.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] So in order to function properly, elderly people need X,Y,Z things and they're unable to pay for them themselves. Yet they receive regular retirement cheques, and if they were intelligent, they would have put money away for retirement. I'm saying that at what point does the "Free healthcare" end? Average life expectancy is like 80, so when someone's 90, should we be paying for weekly/monthly medical bills to maintain their life? Or should they let nature take it's course?Nibroc420

They only put in so much, and i really doubt they only make back as much as they put in. Especially if you add on medicare.

And you base this on...

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

And you base this on...

:| Facts that have accumulated within my brain over the vast amount of time i've spent reading into such random things? Only to be countered by people who have a moral objection to people paying their own way....Sigh.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

That is a somewhat arrogant thing to say given the incredible medical coverage that any member of congress gets. Take that away from them and give them the standard medicare i say.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] They only put in so much, and i really doubt they only make back as much as they put in. Especially if you add on medicare.Nibroc420

And you base this on...

:| Facts that have accumulated within my brain over the vast amount of time i've spent reading into such random things? Only to be countered by people who have a moral objection to people paying their own way....Sigh.

"I base this on facts."

Thank you for this elucidation; I never would have thought you based it on facts. I'm convinced.

Regardless, that's exactly how insurance works, anyway - the people who don't need it subsidize the people who do in the assumption that those in the former group could or will at one point transition into the latter group, and in doing so the people who do need it do not need to pay exorbitant amounts of money for it. You are effectively arguing against insurance as a whole.

And if you want to put up the straw man that I have a moral objection to people paying their own way, then I get to put up the straw man that you hate old people. I won't do so, however, as I prefer to argue against people's actual positions.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

My attitude on this is, everyone is responsible for their own health. However, medical insurance should be there to cover the unexpected medical problems in life. You can be in perfect health and still get hit by a car, or have cancer.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]If that's his attitude, why should she pay tax? :| That's what i don't get about a lot of Republicans who seem to think the government owes you nothing. That individual has presumably paid taxes all of their working life seeing as they are now retired, no? Nibroc420

Being a doctor, I can totally treat myself if I ever get sick.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mattbbpl

That is a somewhat arrogant thing to say given the incredible medical coverage that any member of congress gets. Take that away from them and give them the standard medicare i say.

sonicare
I completely agree. I find it completely asinine that those advocating cutting our most important social safety nets enjoy separate and superior safety nets of their own.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Still waiting on a Democratic solution to fixing the rising costs of medicare.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mattbbpl

airshocker
You mean actually funding the programs we want? I believe it involves a sensible tax structure. Let's start by letting the Bush tax cuts expire and ending all subsidies. Republicans should at least like the subsidies part as they're all for a free market.... I wonder why they voted against ending oil subsidies?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

airshocker
Let's defund Medicare. That'll lower the costs!
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GabuEx

airshocker

We can stop repeating the intellectually devoid mantra of "TAXES BAD", for starters. The American public wants taxes raised; the only people who still don't get it are Republicans. Increased revenue would go a long way to addressing our problems.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

You mean actually funding the programs we want? I believe it involves a sensible tax structure. Let's start by letting the Bush tax cuts expire and ending all subsidies. Republicans should at least like the subsidies part as they're all for a free market.... I wonder why they voted against ending oil subsidies?mattbbpl

Your idea of a sensible tax structure isn't the same as mine, though I was speaking more towards the fact that medicare is costing us more and more every year. What do the Democrats suggest we do about that?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mattbbpl

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]You mean actually funding the programs we want? I believe it involves a sensible tax structure. Let's start by letting the Bush tax cuts expire and ending all subsidies. Republicans should at least like the subsidies part as they're all for a free market.... I wonder why they voted against ending oil subsidies?airshocker

Your idea of a sensible tax structure isn't the same as mine, though I was speaking more towards the fact that medicare is costing us more and more every year. What do the Democrats suggest we do about that?

I'm still waiting on a viable Republican proposal as well. Shifting the rising costs onto fixed income seniors IS NOT a solution.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

We can stop repeating the intellectually devoid mantra of "TAXES BAD", for starters. The American public wants taxes raised; the only people who still don't get it are Republicans. Increased revenue would go a long way to addressing our problems.

GabuEx

Really? The American people want taxes raised? I'm pretty sure we want the econony fixed, and jobs to come back to this country. Higher taxes don't really compute with that goal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I'm still waiting on a viable Republican proposal as well. Shifting the rising costs onto fixed income seniors IS NOT a solution.mattbbpl

Shifting the costs to anybody isn't a solution.