SYSTEM WARS: Mod Squad is now available FOR EVERYONE here! - SW The Magazine

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26096 Posts

T H E M A G A Z I N E

May 10 to 24 - Issue 38

Hello System Wars!

I am Willy105, and nobody showed up this past two weeks. I don't blame them, nothing happened worthy of talking about.

While looking through our old issues of System Wars Monthly, I noticed something. No, it's not that Jethrovegas was always as mad as a bull, nor that it jumped the shark after Tsug_Ze_Wind left.

I noticed that throughout the years, System Wars has always been alive. From the early years of SWM, when we reported over everything that happened on the board, to the middle ages, when we grew bored of System Wars and pretended it didn't exist for the health of our writers.

Stuff actually happened back then, it was the start of a new generation, and System Wars was in full swing. It died down a lot later, but with the next generation coming up, I am sure that we are going to have a lot of fun.

01100100 ...THIS IS SYSTEM WARS THE MAGAZINE!

DarkLink77: Here's "Previously on System Wars":

PSN is still down. For three weeks and counting, Nintendo has had better online gaming than Sony.

Disc swapping became more important than God.

Nothing of note released, so everyone actually went outside. Some users were never seen again.

1up got bought by IGN. LOL 1up topics imminent.

Crysis 2's writer was, retro-actively, full of it. Crysis 2 haters rejoiced and reloaded.

HEY YOU. TRAVEL BACK IN TIME.

Willy105:

Hey System Warriors! We are nearing our 40th Issue of System Wars The Magazine, and we want to thank you all for reading throughout all these years.
However, there is something weird in the air. Or is it space-time continuum? Something has changed in the past, and I fear it may destroy the world as we know it. After all, the pen is mightier than the sword. An extra number or eight could result in us never being born!
We need you, System Warrior. Go back in time, and find what was changed or added. It should be easy to spot, or maybe not. It depends on how awesome you are. If you are that awesome, post the correct message, then you will win A PRIZE.
Just you. No one else. Unless you stab me in the back and give it to everyone.
But I trust you....
The WINNER has been found, he succesfully found all the hidden codes and correctly deciphered them.

01001101 01101111 01100100 00100000 01010011 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100100 = Mod Squad

Just checked the SWM forum and I think I see a connection.

Edit: Can I proclaim myself the unraveller of the SWM conundrum now?

Filthybastrd

He has proclaimed his victory in here.

And now YOU can have his prize too!

GEEK IS THE NEW COOL

The_Game21x:

I never thought I'd say this but it seems that geek culture is becoming mainstream. Elements of geek culture are popping up in many areas of pop culture with such frequency that it appears that nerds and geeks the world over are coming out of the shadows and being embraced by the populace at large. From movies such as Scott Pilgrim vs The World to Kick Ass and the Wii bringing gaming to the masses, the world seems to be going geek.

In an age of Guitar Hero, Call of Duty and Wii Sports, videogames have become not only socially acceptable but even "cool". When the hell did this happen? Not too long ago, talking about how you finally found that rare item you've been searching for in an old-school dungeon crawler or how your Wartortle finally evolved into a Blastoise meant you were shunned, shoved into a corner of the lunchroom with the other pimply-faced nerds, an area the "popular kids" wouldn't dare be caught dead. Now, it's socially acceptable. People talk about their exploits in videogames in all parts of the lunchroom. Talk of the latest videogaming accomplishments isn't just reserved for the nerds. Now, it seems, everyone plays videogames.

Just look at vampires. Once considered little more than conversational taboo, they are now the subjects of wildly popular, trashy tweener novels and slightly less trashy films based around said novels. Sure, there were shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer that were accepted by the mainstream but by and large, no one talked about vampires aside from the fantasy nerds. Times have certainly changed.

I imagine this is a side effect of the coming of age of Generation "who cares". This is a generation of apathy and thus, people seem not to care about other people's geekier pastimes, be it videogames, fantasy novels or sci-fi television shows and movies. Perhaps this means that this generation is more mature than generations past and more accepting. Perhaps things have just come full circle and the time will come again when typical aspects of geek culture will once again be frowned upon and geeks will once again be subjugated back into the margins of popular culture.

Maybe, though, we've finally matured beyond the typical jock and geek mentality and realized to that to "geek" is to love. Maybe people are finally realizing that geekdom is merely an outlet for the things people are passionate about and have begun to appreciate the geeky hobbies people have purely because we realize that this is a labor of love.

I'm a geek and I'm proud of it. Sure, I don't cosplay or walk around in graphic tees adorned with the logos of the games I play or the movies and TV shows I enjoy but I don't hide my geekdom from the world in the same way as I did in High School. Quite frankly, I'm an adult now with a love of videogames and geeky sci-fi TV shows and movies and I don't really care if someone looks down their nose at my hobbies. But, then again, odds are these days that you'll share similar interests and would rather talk about your own geek love than turn your nose up at mine. This is a brave new world, folks, and one I'm certainly glad to be a part of.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Willy105

TOP FIVE GAMES WITH CUT CONTENT

DarkLink77:

Every game has cut content. It could an enemy design that didn't work out, a section of the single player campaign that interrupted the pacing, or something as miniscule as a rock on a multiplayer map that was removed to improve map flow. However, some games leave more on the cutting room floor that others do. Few have become infamous for it, games that are burned into the collective consciousness of the gaming world for their content, or lack of it. The best part? You've probably played one of them.

V: Final Fantasy XIII

I'll be honest. The only reason FFXIII is on this list is because people got really, really upset when art director Isamu Kamikokuryou said that enough content had been cut to make up another game. That's a lot of cut content. So what the hell was cut? Well, Nora, Snow's squad of wannabe heroes, once had a base in Lebrau's shop. Other cuts include Lightning's house, which apparently had a park in it for some reason, and a zoo in one of the game's amusement parks. That doesn't sound like enough stuff to be a full game, so we can only assume that more content got the axe along the way.

Producer Yoshinori Kitase was quick to point out that "the things that were cut either didn't make sense in the storyline, would slow down the pace of the game or were otherwise unnecessary," but that didn't stop Final Fantasy fans (and PS3 fanboys who blamed the Xbox for the cuts) from throwing one of the biggest e-temper tantrums the gaming world has ever seen.

IV: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/The Wind Waker

Ninty is known for the excellence of its first party games, and it's all the more impressive when you consider the company's insistence with keeping its studios on budget and on schedule. You'd think that would mean that Nintendo doesn't cut a lot of content, but it's not true. One series that this affected is The Legend of Zelda, but you'd probably never know it. The trend started with Ocarina of Time, all the way back on the N64. Eiji Anouma and Shigeru Miyamoto initially wanted Ocarina of Time to have the same number of dungeons as A Link to the Past, but it wasn't to be. Three dungeons were to be for young Link, three for adult Link, and the last three in which Link would learn each spell - probably Nayru's Love, Din's Fire, and Farore's Wind. Unfortunately, the last three dungeons proved too ambitious. Two were completely redesigned, and one was cut altogether (most likely the Temple of Light). Not enough cut content for you? Alright. Ocarina of Time also features a fully functioning Arwing. Rumor has it that the development team coded it in to test the Z-targeting system.

In a similar vein, Wind Waker's initial design called for as many dungeons as there were in Ocarina of Time, but anyone who's played the game knows that there aren't eight dungeons. Why not? Well, two dungeons were cut from the game completely, but the data for them is still on the disk and can be accessed with a little ingenuity and some Action Replay codes. But why were the dungeons cut? According to Anouma, Nintendo was concerned that the game was becoming too big for gamers of all ages and all skill levels, and the company wanted everyone to be able to finish the game. Instead, the development team added the now infamous Triforce fetch quest. Even Nintendo makes mistakes.

III: Halo 2

Halo 2 came under fire for being an unfinished game almost as soon as it was released, and for good reason: It was unfinished. In fact, Halo 2's development nearly destroyed Bungie. Why? Because Bungie had expanded significantly between Halo and Halo 2. The original design team for Combat Evolved consisted of 10 people, so communication between team members was easy. By the time development on Halostarted, the company had hired over 50 more people. Separate, smaller teams were formed to design individual levels, but the company wasn't used to managing so many people, and none of the teams ended up coordinating with each other.

When they got together to assemble the game for the first time, they realized that none of the levels fit together, the game's story was incomprehensible, and the game transitioned from too easy to maddeningly difficult in the blink of an eye. The team decided to start over, and threw out most of the work they'd done. Entire levels bit the dust, along with a slew of new weapons and enemies. The Halo 2 campaign as it exists now was made in only 8 months, and even then, the game wasn't finished. Bungie intended for Halo 2 to tie up the series main story arc, but they couldn't complete the final two levels before the game was set to ship. Those last two levels would become the blueprint for Halo 3.

II: Quake

There's no if's, and's or but's about it: Quake destroyed the original incarnation of id Software. By the end of Quake's development, John Romero was on his way out of the company, and the few remaining founders, save Carmack, would soon follow him. In many ways, Quake marked the end of an era for id. The once innovative company, known for its merger of cutting-edge game design and unmatched tech found itself remaking the same game over and over, unable to ever fully recover from losing its two most talented designers in Romero and Tom Hall. So what was cut? Damn near everything. Quake didn't start as a first person shooter. Romero original envisioned it as a fantasy game, in which the player would fight in a first person viewpoint as Quake, a character ripped from id's Dungeons and Dragons campaign. Carmack would complement Romero's design with a new 3D game engine. However, this proved much harder to do than Carmack anticipated, and development of the engine was slow going. The rest of the team spent their time drawing up levels, characters concepts, and weapon ideas, but without Carmack's engine, there wasn't really anything else they could do. In the mean time, Romero formed a partnership with Raven Software to create HeXen, and spent a lot of time interacting with id's community, something that infuriated Carmack, as he felt Romero wasn't actually working.

Planned release dates for the game passed by, until finally, Carmack called the rest of the company in for a meeting. The engine still wasn't done. Much of id's staff suggested simply making another first person shooter. It was a genre they were familiar with, and it would take significantly less time to make another shooter than test Romero's new ideas. Romero didn't want id to simply make the same game over and over, but the rest of the company, including Carmack, didn't care. Romero lost. Unwilling to lose the work the team had already put in, the design team added parts of the original game's concepts into the new Quake. Medieval knights and horrible cybernetic monstrosities found themselves sharing levels, some of which were spawned by the original game's design. Realizing they needed to explain the discrepancy the day before the game shipped via shareware, id inserted portals that would take the player between levels, and added a quick story explaining that Quake was going to take over all these different realms if the player didn't stop him. Quake was finally finished, but it wasn't the game id had wanted.

I: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

Here it is: the most infamous example of cut content in video games. So famous, in fact, that if you Google "cut content" the first link is about KoTOR II. So, what happened? Well, as you may know, KoTOR was a huge success. It won a staggering number of Game of the Year awards and sold extremely well. Naturally, LucasArts wanted a sequel as soon as possible. Since BioWare was working on their own projects, the publisher hired Obsidian to make the sequel. Obsidian's plans for KoTOR II, were, at the very least, ambitious. The game would have more content than the original game, and it would tell a more morally complex tale. However, it was not to be. LucasArts wanted the game to be released for the 2004 holiday season, giving Obsidian about a year of development time.

With all of the content that Obsidian wanted to include, that deadline was impossible. Obsidian pleaded with LucasArts for more time to finish the game, but they were denied, and so sizable cuts were made, though most of the cut content was actually close to completion. The game released on time, but it felt rushed and buggy, and Obsidian themselves petitioned LucasArts for a patch that would restore the content, but were denied. Instead, Obsidian released the missing files to the community, and almost immediately, a large mod scene dedicated to restoring as much of the game as possible sprang up, headed by a group of modders known as Team Gizka. Their mod was never finished, and in 2010 the group disbanded, citing internal issues. By then, however, other modding groups had grown impatient and begun attempting to restore the content on their own. Of the four modding teams that attempted to restore KoTOR II, only one has been successful, and on March 14th, the Sith Lords Restored Content mod was released, and has seen frequent updates since. This is no small feat, considering the amount of content was cut from the game can best be described as monumental. The mod has garnered much acclaim from the KoTOR II community (this user included), and can be found here, under downloads.

There you have it. The top 5 video games with cut content. Most of the time, content being cut isn't an issue. It's a natural part of game development. Sometimes, though, it goes beyond that, and while few games with a large amount of cut content will ever experience KoTOR II's fairy tale-esque restoration, it's better to know, don't you think? Or maybe it's not. Ignorance, after all, is bliss.

DYNASTY WARRIORS 7 REVIEW

Timmy00:

It been about three years since Dynasty Warriors 6 came out. The game was pretty disappointing to fans of the series. The renbu system turned out to be quite boring, characters like Jiang Wei were taken out, and about half of the cast were clones. Now Dynasty Warriors 7 is out. So will the game be another disappointment or will the fans be please?

Omega Force must've been listening to its fans. They decided to take out the renbu system and put the old charge system in. Basically you press the X button to do a regular attack. You can do combos with charge attacks with the Y button. You can increase the number of attacks you can do with points you gain by defeating officers.

With these points, you can unlock skills for your character. Each characters got their own unique skills and this diverse them a little bit. You can also pick up stats upgrade to boost your characters stats. You can raise your attack, defense, and a few other stuff with these.

The combat system is pretty simple. Some people will enjoy the simplicity while others will find it to be repetitive. I personally enjoy the simplicity of the combat. It's easy to pick up and still very fun. However not everyone will enjoy it.

One of the newest addition to the combat system is that you can carry two weapons instead of just one. This can lead to more combos and add a bit of variety to the game. There's about 36 weapons in the game. Each have their own movesets. However there's a total of 62 characters in Dynasty Warriors 7 so some people will be sharing movesets. However this is nowhere near as bad as DW6. Also every character got a unique Musou and EX attack they can perform by equipping a certain weapon. This help the character feel unique.

There is splitscreen and online in Dynasty Warriors 7. However it is limited to Conquest mode. The online is a bit laggy at times. Your friend will sometime look like he's attacking thin air when he's really attacking an officer or something. It's annoying but still fun to play.

Dynasty Warriors 7 brings plenty of content for you to enjoy. There's a Kingdom mode and Conquest mode. Both will provide hours of content. However they did take out Free mode for unknown reasons. However Conquest mode is pretty much like Free mode +.

The story mode is quite different compared to the previous games. You no longer pick a character and go through a handful of stages. Instead you pick from four kingdoms. Shu, Wei, Wu, and the newly added Jin. The kingdom of Jin is one of the biggest addition to the series. You can play as the Sima family and other characters.

You choose one of the kingdoms and play through their storyline. This can range from the Yellow Turban Rebellion to the fall of Shu. Each storyline can take up to 6-8 hours to complete. This adds up to about 32 hours just in the Kingdom mode. You also play as a variety of characters throughout the game. However certain characters don't even appear in the story mode!

Surprisingly Omega Force decided to focus more on the story this time around. Each story mode is interesting and shows the perspective of each empires quite well. There's no real good or evil side. The voice-acting is quite nice this time around. However if you're not that fond of them, you can download the Japanese voice-acting.

The other mode is Conquest mode. I remember I had trouble figuring out what it was when it was first announced. Was it like a mixture of Empire and Xtreme legends? Well not exactly. It's more of a glorified free mode though it is similar to Xtreme legends.

The game starts you at the top right part of a hex grid. There you can pick from a small amount of characters unless you unlocked some by playing Kingdom mode. From there you just complete each hex until you complete them all. There's plenty of hexes so it will take you some time to complete them all.

During Conquest mode you can visit towns. In these towns, there's many things to do. You can answer questions from Scholars, buy new weapons, forge weapon skills, buy animal guardians (Animals that will help you in battle, Ex. Horses, Bears, Panda), pick a sworn ally, etc. You can also gain allies while playing Conquest mode. However all they really do is help you. Nothing big.

The game itself looks ok. Some of the textures can look bad at times but the game can hold quite a good number of enemies on screen. Though some do randomly appear at times. The unique character models all like nice, the generic officers do have some bit of variety, and the soldiers all pretty much look the same with a few exceptions.

The music is the same rock themed tune as ever. It helps you get in the mood to kill some enemies. The tracks are all nice and fun to listen to. Though if you're not a fan of the music, make sure you have a MP3 nearby or something.

In the end, Dynasty Warriors 7 is a fun game that the fans will enjoy. However, that's the key word. The fans. If you did not liked Dynasty Warriors before, this game will not change your mind. If you never played Dynasty Warriors before, you might just want to rent it. However if you're in love with the series like I am, then you should enjoy the game. There's plenty of content and the new way they told the story is interesting.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Willy105

Fabz_95:

So guys, who do you think was best over the past couple of weeks?

I think the fact that PSN has been down for the majority of them means that they automatically lose for this Battle Royal :P.

Willy105:

I agree.

Sony had an absolute disaster. When CNN is reporting on you, and Stephen Colbert is making fun of you, then you know you are in deep burgers. They will need a huge announcement to be able to come out of this, because I don't think the PS3 will be selling very well this month.

Elsewhere, Nintendo announced that their next-gen console actually exists, but other than that, I can't remember anything important.

789shadow:

I don't think we can actually decide on who won these last 2 weeks. Maybe we could just take a point from Sony. :P

darkspineslayer:

Or we could give it to the 360, for the lulz

Seeing as its the only online solution working, and ignoring PC gamers like usual

Jynxzor:

I guess Nintendo as every other system is either offline or has nothing coming on the horizon, yay for boring news weeks.

LegendofNerd:

The last few weeks have been so bad, we may as well say the N-Gage was the winner.

DarkLink77:

Sony still bringing the lulz. :lol:

I agree with Nerd. The N-Gage clearly had the best two weeks, mostly because someone on a gaming forum remembered it exists.

Willy105:

Because someone on a gaming forum remembered that it exists.DarkLink77

Do you have proof of that?

DarkLink77:

Well, Nerd just mentioned it. :P

Darkspineslayer:

Super Meat Boy got a level editor on Steam, anyone got anything better?

Any takers, any at all?

789shadow:

Either we take a point from Sony, or no one gets a point. Or, we give a point to Boredom.

DarkLink77:

I think we should take a point away from Sony. We are a bunch of Halo fanboys, after all. :P

F*** YOU GS MY HTML IS FINE!!!! :evil:

^Don't post the above line.

-Willy105: I am not Gamespot's censor. They got problems, I won't hide it.

Jynxzor:

Considering the curcumstances...Either Sony -1 or Bored to death +1

I'm playing Fallout New Vegas...with mods of course. Thats got to mean something right!?

Willy105:

It seems mean to take a point away, even if they deserve it.

So I choose +1 to Bored to Death.

789shadow:

It's settled. This was a win for boredom!

Current Stats

PC

Bored to Death

Nintendo

Sony

Microsoft

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Oh wow, I never knew that about OOT. Interesting as always.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

I like this issue. :3

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

timmy00
So do I. :o
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 timmy00

[QUOTE="timmy00"]

DarkLink77

I hated how KoToR 2 was rushed. The game could've been more awesome. :(

:P

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="timmy00"]

timmy00

If you have the PC version, get the RCM.
OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

Timmy didn't write "It's been about", he wrote "It been about"

Good job timmy, typos ruinin' yo review.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 timmy00

Timmy didn't write "It's been about", he wrote "It been about"

Good job timmy, typos ruinin' yo review.

OneSanitarium

Dang it. :[

Edit- I swore I fixed that. :/ I guess Gamespot didn't want to fix that. :?

felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

You wish you were as cool as the Lounge :P

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="timmy00"]

timmy00

It´s awesome on the PC. :P

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#14 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Dynasty Warriors? You promised me this was going to be more hip than SWL... :[

Anyway, this:

"The Halo 2 campaign as it exists now was made in only 8 months"

explains a lot.

If things had been different, maybe the Halo campaigns up til now would have been awesome and CE-like.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarkLink77

Dynasty Warriors? You promised me this was going to be more hip than SWL... :[

Anyway, this:
[quote="article"]The Halo 2 campaign as it exists now was made in only 8 monthsCherokee_Jack

explains a lot.

If things had been different, maybe the Halo campaigns up til now would have been awesome and CE-like.

I think Halo 3's was the best next to CE, but that's just me. Mostly because Bungie actually learned from what went wrong in Halo 2, and it was largely the same team of designers. Halo: Reach had a different design team, as the core Bungie team had moved into their new IP. Just some random Halo trivia. :P Did you like the article?

Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Luxen90
Member since 2006 • 7427 Posts
Aw only a DW7 review? and nice review Timmy. lmao, I google'd cut content and it was indeed KotOR2.
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 timmy00

Aw only a DW7 review? and nice review Timmy. lmao, I google'd cut content and it was indeed KotOR2.Luxen90
Only? That's like 1 million reviews out there. :P

xxKai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 xxKai
Member since 2011 • 2689 Posts

Nice reviews

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

meh i liked it when it was an actual magazine :P

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
I feel like a slacker I haven't contributed anything this issue yet.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#21 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
I think Halo 3's was the best next to CE, but that's just me. Mostly because Bungie actually learned from what went wrong in Halo 2, and it was largely the same team of designers. Halo: Reach had a different design team, as the core Bungie team had moved into their new IP. Just some random Halo trivia. :P Did you like the article?DarkLink77
Halo 3 was fine, but I think the emphasis on AI dudes being with you all the time is what bugs me. To me CE was at its best when you were taking on an overwhelming force of Covenant alone, trying to figure out your angle of attack, the best way to use your resources, etc. You're supposed to be a supersoldier, after all, and when you're just a part of a team it becomes no different from COD or something (because you're always the most effective team member in an FPS anyway). But yeah, good article. Didn't know a lot of that stuff.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I think Halo 3's was the best next to CE, but that's just me. Mostly because Bungie actually learned from what went wrong in Halo 2, and it was largely the same team of designers. Halo: Reach had a different design team, as the core Bungie team had moved into their new IP. Just some random Halo trivia. :P Did you like the article?Cherokee_Jack
Halo 3 was fine, but I think the emphasis on AI dudes being with you all the time is what bugs me. To me CE was at its best when you were taking on an overwhelming force of Covenant alone, trying to figure out your angle of attack, the best way to use your resources, etc. You're supposed to be a supersoldier, after all, and when you're just a part of a team it becomes no different from COD or something (because you're always the most effective team member in an FPS anyway). But yeah, good article. Didn't know a lot of that stuff.

Agreed. I loved feeling like a badass, and Halo did that well. That said, riding through a level with some Marines in a Warthog was awesome. :D

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Sony should've gotten a pity point. :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I feel like a slacker I haven't contributed anything this issue yet.Jynxzor
So do I...but all I've played since PSN went down has been old games! I should do a retro review of the best traditional figher of all time, since I recently picked up a pair of copies
paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
Nice review, cool issue so far.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Nice job! The cut content but was pretty interesting.
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
Lol. This is the first issue I actually read. Great read. Good job, guys.
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

I'm always left wondering how different the gaming industry would be if Romero actually got to make his vision of Quake.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Arach666

I'm always left wondering how different the gaming industry would be if Romero actually got to make his vision of Quake.

Vesica_Prime
Daikatana? :P
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

Arach666

I wish people would let that go. What happened with Daikatana was for far beyond his control it's not even funny.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Arach666

[QUOTE="Arach666"][QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

DarkLink77

I wish people would let that go. What happened with Daikatana was for far beyond his control it's not even funny.

Romero is hardly a victim in all that mess,sure the marketing campaign wasn´t his idea and ended up hurting him in the process but the game development itself,design decisions and most things related to the game itself were his.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Arach666"] Daikatana? :PArach666

Romero is hardly a victim in all that mess,sure the marketing campaign wasn´t his idea and ended up hurting him in the process but the game development itself,design decisions and most things related to the game itself were his.

The fact that his entire development staff quit at the same time (and development on the project basically had to be restarted) was not his fault. The fact the Eidos wasted time, money, and talent on Dominion was not his fault. There are others, as well. Did the man make mistakes? Undoubtedly. Did he deserve to have his entire career destroyed over one title, the failings of which were, in many ways, beyond his control? No.

Besides, Arach, Romero's design philosophies did create a studio where Deus Ex was possible and fundable. That's a pretty big deal. :P

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#33 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

:lol: Bored to death. That was a good way to end it all!

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Arach666
[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I wish people would let that go. What happened with Daikatana was for far beyond his control it's not even funny.DarkLink77

The fact that his entire development staff quit at the same time (and development on the project basically had to be restarted) was not his fault. The fact the Eidos wasted time, money, and talent on Dominion was not his fault. There are others, as well. Did the man make mistakes? Undoubtedly. Did he deserve to have his entire career destroyed over one title, the failings of which were, in many ways, beyond his control? No.

I never said that he deserved to have is career end because of that,no. As for most of the dev team leaving,yes,that was a big setback for him,but was his decision to hire people that had no experience in professional development of videogames. He hired modders that had never had worked on a pro project before and he didn´t had to,he had tons of money(just look at what was his lifestyle back then) to assemble a more competent team,people with experience in the industry. Again,he probably didn´t deserved what happened to him(heck,I like the guy),but,aside a few things,a lot that happened was originaly his fault,one way or the other.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Arach666

Besides, Arach, Romero's design philosophies did create a studio where Deus Ex was possible and fundable. That's a pretty big deal. :P

DarkLink77

I suppose you have a point there. ;)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Arach666"] Romero is hardly a victim in all that mess,sure the marketing campaign wasn´t his idea and ended up hurting him in the process but the game development itself,design decisions and most things related to the game itself were his.

Arach666

I never said that he deserved to have is career end because of that,no. As for most of the dev team leaving,yes,that was a big setback for him,but was his decision to hire people that had no experience in professional development of videogames. He hired modders that had never had worked on a pro project before and he didn´t had to,he had tons of money(just look at what was his lifestyle back then) to assemble a more competent team,people with experience in the industry. Again,he probably didn´t deserved what happened to him(heck,I like the guy),but,aside a few things,a lot that happened was originaly his fault,one way or the other.

He did make mistakes, it just kind of makes me sad. Daikatana had a ton of potential, and Romero was (and still is) and extremely talented game designer. Honestly, id should just hire him again. I think he and Carmack are on better terms (though Carmack is kind of a dick). :P

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Arach666

He did make mistakes, it just kind of makes me sad. Daikatana had a ton of potential, and Romero was (and still is) and extremely talented game designer. Honestly, id should just hire him again. I think he and Carmack are on better terms (though Carmack is kind of a dick). :P

DarkLink77

It would be nice to see him return to id,as it would be the same with Adrian and Tom,but that´s never gonna happen,unfortunatedly. :(

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Vesica_Prime

[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

Arach666

Dai-Daikatana?! :o

And from what I see, stuff like conflict between inexperienced designers and changing from the Quake engine to the id Tech 2 engine really screwed over Daikatana.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="Arach666"][QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

Vesica_Prime

Dai-Daikatana?! :O

And from what I see stuff like conflict between inexperienced designers and changing from the Quake engine to the id Tech 2 engine really screwed over Daikatana.

Pretty much. That and they had to change dev teams mid-project. Just a perfect storm of bad, really.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Arach666

It would be nice to see him return to id,as it would be the same with Adrian and Tom,but that´s never gonna happen,unfortunatedly. :(

Well, if Carmack wasn't such a dick... :P
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Arach666
[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Well,I hardly think they would want to work all together again anyway. :P
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Arach666"]

Arach666

Probably. But the whole "We're either going to make DOOM 3 or I'm leaving" thing still rubs me the wrong way. :P Too bad, though. The original incarnation of id was the perfect storm.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Arach666

[QUOTE="Arach666"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Well, if Carmack wasn't such a dick... :PDarkLink77

Probably. But the whole "We're either going to make DOOM 3 or I'm leaving" thing still rubs me the wrong way. :P Too bad, though. The original incarnation of id was the perfect storm.

Yeah,that Doom 3 business was a mess lol.

Btw,have you seen Romero´s interview with Matt Barton?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="Arach666"] Well,I hardly think they would want to work all together again anyway. :PArach666

I don't think so. Is it a recent interview?
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Vesica_Prime

I'll probably be hanged, drawn and quartered for this but I'll say it anyway.

I didn't like the Quake series, I appreciated the excellent technology behind the engines and moddability of the engine but I felt it lost the magic and imagination which made Doom one of the most memorable games for me. Maybe it's because I grew up a Unreal and Half-Life kid but I just felt like Quake was Doom minus the imaginative enemies and environments.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Arach666

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Probably. But the whole "We're either going to make DOOM 3 or I'm leaving" thing still rubs me the wrong way. :P Too bad, though. The original incarnation of id was the perfect storm.

DarkLink77

It´s from last year,it has 5 parts,I think.

Here is part 1,you can work your way up the rest of them. :P

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DarkLink77

I'll probably be hanged, drawn and quartered for this but I'll say it anyway.

I didn't like the Quake series, I appreciated the excellent technology behind the engines and moddability of the engine but I felt it lost the magic and imagination which made Doom one of the most memorable games for me. Maybe it's because I grew up a Unreal and Half-Life kid but I just felt like Quake was Doom minus the imaginative enemies and environments.

Vesica_Prime
I love Quake, but I know what you're saying and I kind of agree. From what I can figure, there's a few reasons for this. 1. The lack of Tom Hall. He was instrumental in designing DOOM (concept, story, secrets, gameplay, etc), but was fired before Quake. 2. Internal issues at id. Basically what happened with Quake, the loss of Romero, and then Quake II. Quake II wasn't even originally going to be called Quake, because the concept was so different. But they decided to ride the franchise anyway. Quake III was MP only because the team was so divided that they didn't really want to work with each other. With an MP only game, everyone could kind of do their bit and call it a day. 3. Again, all the creative guys were gone by the time Quake shipped, or shortly thereafter.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Arach666"] Yeah,that Doom 3 business was a mess lol.

Arach666

Oh, cool. Thanks. :D
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Arach666
[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I don't think so. Is it a recent interview?DarkLink77

Oh, cool. Thanks. :D

Watch them all,it´s pretty cool and informative. ;)
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Why would anyone want to work with Carmack? All style (Engines) and no Substance (Romero!)