THE NEW REDESIGN IS HERE! Grief counselors are standing by... - SW The Magazine

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts

T H E M A G A Z I N E

April 26th to May 10th - Issue 37

Hello System Wars!

I am Willy105, and the third contender of the next-gen war has been announced! Nintendo's next-gen home console follows the NGP and the 3DS of the start of the next-generation, and it sure looks like it will be...weird. But more on that on E3.

Meanwhile, Gabe Newell's final solution against Sony has begun with their hacking of PSN (stealthy executed via a virus included in every copy of Portal 2 for PS3), causing it to go off the air for (as of this writing) six days.

Sony announced they are busy trying to rebuild the whole network so that this doesn't happen again, but will cause the service to be offline for a lot longer.

Portal 2 also came out, which my sources say it is awesome.

As for this issue, we have a review of Portal 2 and Crysis 2. We also continue our Xbox 360 vs PS3 feature, we show our thoughts on Nintendo's next console, and much more!

Don't miss out, this is SYSTEM WARS THE MAGAZINE!

PROJECT CAFE: WHAT I WANT FROM IT

Fabz_95:

Project Cafe has gripped gaming news for the past couple of weeks (and only just confirmed this morning) and the rumours are coming in thick and fast. As always with a Nintendo console, there's something innovative with the rumoured to be system and is scheduled to be announced for E3 or earlier. The system is supposed to be as powerful if not more so than the 360/PS3 and has a screen built into the controller. I know there's a good chance that this is all fake (who remembers Nintendo ON?) but if these tidbits of the system are indeed real, then this is what I'd like to see from the system.

1) Graphically, to be between this and next generation.

A problem with Nintendo's Wii was that power-wise, it was very close to last generation. Only in it's later years did games like SMG and MH3 show the gap but even now gamers think that the Wii doesn't have a game better looking than Doom 3 on the XBOX. Nintendo's next console needs to be significantly better than this generation. Not everything is about graphics but to be so significantly inferior to your opponents can reduce a significant chunk of your audience, and not just the gamers since casual gamers too enjoy pretty graphics. Another reason it needs to be close power-wise to it's companions is linked to my next reason.

2) It needs 3rd party support.

GTA V on New Nintendo Console

One reason why the Wii doesn't get the third party support (or gets lazy ports a lot of the time) is due to the weakness of the system graphically. Developers are lazy and they'd have to create a pretty different version to create a Wii version of multiplats (such as Crysis 2, the Battlefield series, the Bioshock series, Street Fighter and son on) due to it's control scheme and it's power. By being powerful enough, Project Cafe should get a lot more of the multi-plats that the Wii missed out on and with it's innovative control scheme it should get as many original exclusives as the Wii has, a perfect combination. One may argue it's because of Nintendo's child-friendly image that their system doesn't get maturer/more hardcore multiplats, the more I hear about GTA 5 being released on Project Cafe the more I think Nintendo intend to do everything possible to get rid of that myth.

3) It needs to be the cheapest system.

Because of the fact that Microsoft and Sony will surely go for powerful consoles that will wow gamers with it's beautiful graphics, Nintendo need to make sure that its system is the cheapest. A combination of feeling next generation graphically (by being significantly more powerful than this generation) and by having an innovative control scheme with the cheapest price will definitely appeal to gamers and casuals alike.

4) Nintendo need to keep busting out those exclusives.

With the Wii, Nintendo have made some fantastic exclusives as they do with all of their systems. They need to keep doing that. They have such a wide range of series that they can produce games from (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Starfox, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong and so on) that they need to keep making games from these series (of course, the games need to be of a high quality) and they need to bring in some new IPs just to keep things fresh.

5) A better online system.

Please Nintendo, if you must use friend-codes, keep it to one per system. The Wii's online was absolutely ruined by the fact that in order to play your friends, you must add their friend-code for EVERY SINGLE ONLINE GAME. Nintendo have fixed this with the 3DS by having one universal friend-code per system and I'm sure that they'll incorporate this into Project Café. Please don't let me down guys.

What I'm hearing about Project Café is great and it's really exciting for the whole gaming world but if Nintendo want their system to appeal to gamers just as much as it does to casual gamers, then I think they need to fix the mistakes they did with the Wii.

The Wii and GC were both systems that taught Nintendo a lot. The GC showed that they can create a console that gamers love but will be outsold by it's competitors. The Wii showed them that they can create an innovative console that will destroy the other two in terms of sales but will lose a lot of it's 'gamers' audience. Now they need to find that fine balance with Project Café which I'm 100% sure that they can.

SYSTEM WARS FUNNIES 2

Darkspineslayer:

Congrats to Fizzman for winning the thread with the first reply.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Willy105

XBOX VS PLAYSTATION 3 PART 2

Stevo_The_Gamer:

User Interface

Let's face it, while most of your time will be in the nitty-gritty firefights on Helghan, or fighting those ugly-ass Locust on Sera with your fellow Gears; when you first start up your console, or when you want to search for additional content for your games, you're going to be spending time on the dashboard for your console. Now, the Xbox 360 uses something called a "New Xbox 360 Experience" in which was a complete overall of the general user interface, and with a recent update in the fall of 2010, the new look has a definite vivid and aesthetically pleasing look to it. The Playstation 3 XMB looks simplistic and certainly not as vivid as the Xbox 360 interface, and I definitely believe it won't give the "wow" factor that the Xbox 360 user interface gave me.

Partly, this is because it's hard not to deny that Microsoft—being a software giant and all—has created a superb interface for their Xbox 360 console. The entirety of the GUI has superior functionality and better unity compared to the Playstation 3 XMB; in fact, I would go as far to say the overall nature of the XMB is rather "clunky" in its application when directly compared to the Xbox 360 dashboard. For example, look at the update system on the Playstation 3 compared to the Xbox 360—The Playstation 3 is inferior in the sense that you must download applications, or updates, and then after the fact, install them. The Xbox 360 downloads and installs the data at the same time so the time saved becomes readily apparent.

Furthermore, you won't be forced to download a massive patch for your game (I'm looking at you MAG on PS3) on Xbox Live since Microsoft has placed a limit—or cap—on the size of game patches. Furthermore, downloading a patch on Xbox Live is fairly quick and easy (relative to your connection). For example, if you put Fallout: New Vegas into your Xbox 360 console—you'll download the latest patch and that's that. Doing the same for the Playstation 3 means you'll download each and every patch available, and then install each patch as well. It's a tedious process, especially when you play a game that's been out for quite some time (I'm looking at you Uncharted 2 with your 6+ updates).

There is also the save system approach between the two consoles. When you play a game for the first time on the Xbox 360, it brings up the GUI to choose where to install the saved game data—and after you do that, you won't be seeing the GUI come up in the game anymore when you save your game. This is important because whenever you save your game for the Playstation 3, it brings up the XMB to save your game in that environment. This is unfortunate because the method of saving and loading games going into the XMB shows the clunky nature of the update system when other competitors don't require the console interface to pop in. This normally wouldn't be that much of an issue if the XMB didn't take the couple seconds to load up—that time adds up after awhile.

In addition to the save system, the trophy and achievement system shows a relatively minor, but worth noting difference in the user interface. Take for example that you just earned an achievement in Halo Reach, and you want to know which achievement you got—the second the achievement pops on the screen, you can press the guide button and it will take you immediately to that achievement in your game achievement list for your viewing pleasure. If you earn a trophy, and press the guide button when the trophy pops up on the Playstation 3, it does no such thing, and you have to manually go to the trophy list for your game and scroll down to find the trophy you just earned. This aspect goes in line with other things as well, when a download finishes, a friend comes online, ect, when you press the guide button when that notice pops on the screen, it immediately takes you to the friend list, or game list if a download finished, or whatever it may have been. The Playstation 3 XMB does not have that functionality.

The actual dashboard for each console is actually pretty fine in their application. They're both different in their respects but they both aim to achieve different things. The Xbox 360 GUI has a very slick and clean feel to it while at the same time appearing very simple aiming for the streamlined interface (which Microsoft had to do for their Kinect accessory to prpoerly function), everything is rather quick and about the ease of access—or accessibility. The Playstation 3 XMB is also fairly clean and streamlined, but it's not nearly as simple as the Xbox 360 GUI. One plus thing about the Playstation 3 XMB is that you won't be seeing any advertisements; same can't be said about the Xbox 360 GUI.

Now, both consoles offer user profiles for your console. When comparing the two, the Xbox 360 version is definitely more user friendly in its application and much more attractive and accessible. When you edit your gamer profile, you're given a nice arrange of options to edit from such as... Gamertag (Your profile name which will be displayed both offline, and online), Gamer Picture (picture for your gaming profile), Gamer Zone (are you a hardcore gamer, casual gamer, ect), Motto, Avatar (Similar to the Wii "Mii" feature, your avatar is a representation of you!), Name, Bio, Location, and Privacy Settings. Now, when you create your first profile you'll be asked to create a "Avatar." As stated earlier, the Avatar is a representation of you and it's basically the Wii version of the Mii, just in fancy High-Definition. The Avatars are fairly neat in the sense that it gives you a wide arrange of options to customize your characters.

The Playstation 3 user profile does not have anywhere near as a nice clean functionality as the Xbox 360 profile, and isn't anywhere near as unified as the Xbox 360 system. When you start up your PS3 for the first time, you'll be asked to create a system username, and then you'll end up create an online ID. They aren't to be confused with one another, as they are different--your system username can be changed where as your Online ID cannot. And you can also create an avatar in the "Playstation 3 Home" experience... but, that's a completely seperate deal altogetyer which has no connection to any game or anything on the Playstation dashboard. Some have called this an "identity crisis" as Sony has almost flopped on their face in this regard as their user profile system is severely lacking compared to the Xbox 360.

Now, on to the Playstation 3 Store and the Xbox Live Marketplace both—like the dashboards—are different from one another by a large degree in how they approach content. It's almost like the Windows Mobile versus iPhone approach in a sense. Microsoft's approach is definitely more streamlined, and appears more attractive compared to the Playstation 3 Store, but individual preference will vary—all in all, I have a lean in the Xbox 360 method for I feel Microsoft does a better job at organizing its content in a more streamlined fashion. But, this part is a to each his own deal.

Round 4 Scores & Summary

Playstation 3 - 3.0; Xbox 360 - 5.0

The Xbox 360 just offers a much better user interface in nearly every single wayfrom organization, aesthetics, avatars, profiles, and the general user interface. The Playstation 3 interface is just clunky and lacking in comparison.

Accessories

Both the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 have a wide selection of accessories for their respective platforms. These range from controllers, cameras, to full blown gaming accessories. One could argue that there isn't much difference between the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 accessory lineup due to the fact that they both will have the following: controllers, cables for audio and video, remotes, stands, and a camera. For a full list of PS3 accessories, go to this link here—and for a list of Xbox 360 accessories, go to the list here. As you will probably see, it's mostly just two types of the same soup with a couple main differences between the two.

There's some standout differences though, such as if you're an avid racing fan, peripheral support may have an impact on the purchasing decision, the PlayStation 3 supports a wider range of steering wheels, including favourites such as the Logitech G27. The Xbox 360 supports just the Microsoft force feedback wheel and Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo wheel (and those compatible with it) [According to DigitalFoundry]. Furthermore, as mentioned earlier in the beginning section of round one, Playstation 3 owners have the ability to upgrade their hard drives where as Xbox 360 owners do not have that capability. (So the accesorry being third-party laptop hard drives)

Now, the first major difference actually comes down to Xbox Live for the Xbox 360. When you create an account for your Xbox 360—your gamertag—you'll be asked to create either a "silver" account or an Xbox Live "Gold" account. The principle difference between these two comes down to content; you'll have to pay money in order to access "Premium" features for the Xbox 360. Microsoft has laid out the difference in the link here between Silver and Gold.

Needless to say, the accessory here is the "Xbox Live Membership" which is actually required if you wish to play games online for a standard price of $59.99 annually. The Playstation 3 has two memberships as well, the standard and then a premium "Plus" membership for $49.99 annually. You can find the benefits of doing PSN+ by reading about it here. Needless to say, the main difference comes down to discounts, some free games, and some exclusive features—however, regular members do not need the PSN+ membership in order to play online. So if you're a gamer looking to wet his or her whistle by going into the online arena, due take note that the Xbox 360 will cost you some extra money upfront.

The second difference comes down to the "Motion Controller Wars" that just recently got started in late 2010. The… what you say? Microsoft has released "Kinect" for the Xbox 360, a controller that will capture your movement and translate it on the screen—controller free environment. Sony has brought out something called the "Playstation Move." This accessory is a carbon-copy of the Wii's motion controller, so if you know anything about the Wii, then you already know the Move. Now, both Microsoft and Sony are trying to capitalize on the Wii's success and thus their spin on the Wii has sparked this motion controller war in the gaming community. The Kinect is currently vastly more popular than the Move when sales come into the equation, and currently has more Kinect-Exclusive games.

Round 5 Scores & Summary

Playstation 3 - 4.8; Xbox 360 - 3.8

The Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 are fairly on par with one another outside a few differences that I think are definite things of note. While both have two membership options, being able to play online at no extra charge is a large plus for the Playstation 3, and the Motion Controller battle is still being fought but it looks like the Microsoft Kinect is clear winner form the current standing.

Achievements vs. Trophies

The Achievement system is a relatively new feature this generation. First pioneered by Microsoft, the achievement system has set a standard in many regards. It took the Playstation 3 a couple years to standardize their own achievement system, and the Nintendo Wii still refuses to implement an achievement like system. But now we have Sony on board, Valve on board with their Steam Achievements, and even Apple on board with some of their own iPad, iTouch, and iPhone games having achievement systems.

You should know what an achievement is, and if you don't, well, I shouldn't have to spend time explaining it when you can just read about it here. Basically, the PS3 Trophy system is a direct-copy of the Microsoft Achievement system with their own little spin added to it. There is some differences, of course, between the two structures, but for the most part they remain mostly idendical in their actual application. Not like this is a defining feature of any console, and I doubt you would place section as a buying decision for which console to choose, but this is something that gets brought up fairly frequently in the gaming community so I believe it's fair to dissect the two.

One of the first differences you'll notice is how they approach their collective analysis. Each Xbox 360 game has a variety of achievements for it and each Achievement has a certain value attached to it which when unlocked, adds to your "Gamerscore" which is displayed on your profile and next to your Gamertag. Each game is limited to 1000 Gamerscore points, but Downloadable Content can increase that limit by some degree. Every single Xbox 360 game is required to have this standard of 1000 possible gamerscore.

Playstation 3 takes a different approach--instead of an overall 1000 point structure, each game has a number of "Trophies" for it ranging for Bronze, to Silver, to Gold, and finally Platnium. Each level corresponds to the level of difficulty in achieving it so one can easily infer that getting a Bronze trophy is a lot easier than a Gold trophy. So instead of an overall Gamerscore under the user's profile, the Playstation 3 has a "level" system which takes into account the entirety of your trophies. It's like a role-playing esque feel to it; as the more trophies you get, the higher your level becomes. It also showcases the amount of each type of trophy you have--for example, I am a level 8 with 365 Bronze Trophies, 87 Silver, 11 Gold, and finally 1 platnium. Now, Platnium trophy can only be achieved if you unlocked *every single* other trophy--so it represents 100% completion.

100% Completion brings us into a large difference between the two. It's a complain folks have levied at the Xbox 360 Achievement system for quite some time now. There is no quick-n-easy way to see how many games your friends have completed 100%. You can check how many games you have achieved 100% on your dashboard, but you cannot see that for your friends. Yes, you can go into their profile and look at their "Games Played" and see for yourself how many games have 1000 gamerscore, but an inherent problem arises. Take Halo 3 for example on the Xbox 360, with all the DLC released for it, someone can achieve over 1000 gamerscore, but that is because the DLC attributed to it. In order to see if your friend completed the game 100%, you can have to click on the game and check all his achievements; it's a tedious process compared to the Playstation 3 system. The Playstation 3 has the "Platnium" total amount which showcases to your friends how many have completed a game 100%. Checking that is quick, and easy with no room for error due to DLC.

The second difference plays a favor to the Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 has had an established standard for achievements since it released. The Playstation 3 on the other hand has not, and only mid 2008 did it get a standard for having its games have trophies. This means quite a few Playstation 3 games have no Trophy support what-so-ever compared to every game on the Xbox 360 having achievement support. Secondly, the Achivement structure is very unified across quite a few different venues. You can earn achievements for your profile on your Windows Mobile 7 phone, or even on some Games for Windows Live games--it isn't purely limited to just Xbox 360 games. The Playstation 3 trophies only appear on the Playstation 3.

The last major differences comes down to a design issue for the Playstation 3. It also plays a note in reference to the interface differences between the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 achievement system is flawlessly and updately--or synced--automatically so every time you earn an achievement, it should reflect on your gamer profile, your gamer cards, or on any of the other many sites out there that track the data. The Playstation 3 requires a manual sync in order for your friends to see your trophies. This clunky, and tedious method of syncing your trophies in an inherent disadvantage and I'm rather displeased that Sony still hasn't done anything about this mediocre process.

Round 6 Scores & Summary

Playstation 3 - 4.2; Xbox 360 - 4.8

The Xbox 360 comes on top because all its games support achievements, the achievement system is more unified, and the achievement system is just better executed. However, both practically do the same thing so it should be worth noting that any victory here isn't that big of deal.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Willy105

PILOTWINGS RESORT REVIEW

Darkspineslayer:

"Pilotwings is a great effort by Nintendo to show off the new system, whether or not caring for animals is your cup of tea"

Pilotwings has quite a storied history among Nintendo's fanbase as a showpiece software. the SNES cIassic was a showpiece for Mode 7 while the 64 launched alongside the more well known Mario game at the birth of 3D games. Enter pilotwings resort, a launch title for a new Nintendo system that shows off the system to great effect. but once you start getting used to the effect, does this game have any staying power?

Pilotwings opens with an overview of Wuhu Island, the setting of several Wii series titles. the 3DS handles this massive, intricate island admirably, even able to surpass the Wii when shows the breathtaking draw distances at 1500 feet. when you start the game, your quickly entered into the Wuhu flying club and given a quick test run on the 3 basic vehicles before your free to play the meat of the game.

The gameplay is split into two main modes, mission and free roam. the Mission mode has a few dozen fun missions that take a few minutes each. Mission mode is a joy to spend time on in short bursts, with great set piece moments such as donning a flying squirrel suit that provide thrills in spades. However, mission mode is held back with a total lack of online leaderboards on a primarily score based system that pushes players to drive toward perfection. Free flight mode is a basic hunt for goodies across the island with your vehicle of choice, but a restrictive timer makes what would be an otherwise enjoyable mode seem constricted and an afterthought.

So, gamers...Kittens make you want to kick puppies?, prefer fighting indoors instead of streetside? Pilotwings Resort is a great showpiece for the OCD gamer with a 3DS. go sign up with Wuhu and join the club!

MINECRAFT REVIEW

The_Game21x:

This review is based on the beta version 1.4.

Many people have asked me, "So, what's the point of Minecraft?" and then I tell them, "Well, here's the thing. There is no point." Some people take that in stride, others can't comprehend a game not having a goal to work toward. Minecraft is an excellent example of sandbox gaming in its purest form. You are dropped into a randomly generated world and free to do whatever you want. There's no end goal or structure to the game. You can build, hunt wildlife, go fight monsters, mine for minerals and rare ore or simply explore the world. Minecraft is your sandbox and how you play around in it is entirely up to you.

The simplest way of describing Minecraft's building mechanics is "break stuff to make stuff" and that's it. The game revolves around this simple mantra. Punching trees (yes, you read that right) gets you wood, one of the most basic resources which you'll need to craft tools which open up even more mining and crafting opportunities. Once you get the hang of these mechanics, the possibilities for creation are nearly endless.

This also brings up a problem with Minecraft in that a huge amount of the game revolves around trial and error. The lack of structure also means there's no hand-holding whatsoever in the beginning to ease new players into the game and those players may have no idea what to do once they start the game. In the beginning, most, if any, progress is made through experimentation. I guess it can be argued that the experimentation is part of Minecraft's genius but for me, this was one of the biggest obstacles on the path toward enjoying the game. I had no idea how to craft tools, or even that such tools existed until, frustrated, I was directed to an external website that contained building guides on everything there is to be crafted in the game and what you'll need to make them.

Before finding out about this website, I was practically at my wit's end with the game, having been killed yet again, losing all of my held items in the process, because some creeper (one of Minecraft's more prolific and annoying creatures) exploded and blew apart the tiny hovel I'd dug into the side of a mountain to hole up for the night. Things aren't all peaceful in the world of Minecraft (unless you want it to be). When the sun sets and the dark veil of night covers the land, Zombies, spiders and skeletons armed with bows and arrows appear, and they all want you dead. At this point, it's best to build some kind of shelter and hole up for the night, hoping that no creepers decide to pay you a visit and blow your dwelling to pieces or, you can go out, sword in hand, and brave the creatures of the night.

So, what makes this fun and appealing? Well, there's no simple, objective answer to that. To enjoy Minecraft, you have to embrace it for what it is. It's a game that allows you to do whatever you want with no restrictions. If you've ever played with LEGO blocks as a child (and if you haven't, I weep for you), you know that most of the fun comes from the act of building, not just the end result. You build, you destroy, you explore, you mine and much, much more. This is what is entertaining about Minecraft, making the world your own.

There's a certain satisfaction that comes from exploring the world that has been created for you. Every world in Minecraft is randomly generated, which is another part of Minecraft's genius. It's thrilling to be mining for minerals and suddenly fall into a dark dungeon, teeming with monsters and bravely taking them on. Even if you die, you know you went out like a pro.

Being in beta form as of this writing, Minecraft is an unfinished game but despite that, it's just as rewarding, charming and genuinely entertaining as many other games costing much more. Even in its current beta form, I'd say Minecraft is more than worth the price of admission. And the best thing about it being unfinished? Notch and his crew of developers behind the project are still adding things to the game. Things like snow, ice, beds, pet wolves (yes, wolves) and so on have been added to the game since it reached the beta stage and with other features such as weather cycles, Minecraft can only get better from here by the time the full game is ready.

So here's the rub. If you don't like the concept of sandbox gaming or playing with LEGOs, you probably won't like Minecraft. This is a polarizing game in that respect and I can see why some people wouldn't like it. For everyone else, this is more than worth checking out. There aren't any fancy visuals or top-tier sound design or even amazing competitive multiplayer (although there is multiplayer in the game, though I haven't tested it) to hook gamers and draw them in. What Minecraft does have are simplistic, easy to pick up and play game mechanics that are hard to put down once you've gotten started. Now, if you'll excuse me, my castle isn't going to build itself…

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Willy105

CRYSIS 2 REVIEW

Jethrovegas:

'Overblown' is a massive understatement.

The game takes itself so damn seriously that every bit of fun that might have stood in its favor just ends up leaking out of its beached, bloated corpse, to float away in a river of squandered potential.

Every five ****ing seconds that ass with the glasses is on the comms channel again, blathering about this or that, pissing his pants every time you slow up for a second or two to try and figure out whether or not you're enjoying yourself.

It's always, "come on Prophet, hurry, my bladder is full" or "come on prophet you have to download the macguffin to the whatever receptacle" or "hurry prophet, ride the kick back up the layers" or whatever other contrived and ridiculous bull **** Crytek came up with to keep you running around their pissant version of New York like a coke-crazed hamster chasing a fix.

The game is trash, sorry. I say sorry because I used to like Crytek. I really, really, liked the original Far Cry, for instance.

Know why? Yeah, you guessed it: it was fun.

When I played Far Cry I had a good time; it entertained me and didn't force me into super-cinematic mind rape sessions at the end of every ten minute gameplay segment.

In other words, it was a game. You know, a video game? Not a movie, not an action blockbuster or anything, just a game, nothing more nothing less.

It had good core gunplay, good enemies, and fun, interesting levels, and that was all it really needed.

Oh, and the story didn't blow my ****ing eardrums out with all manner of Black-Ops-esque insane screaming and radio chatter and ridiculous, err, set pieces, which aren't really set pieces because for the most part you don't really interact with them so much as watch them fall apart and piss themselves in flames.

Even in that regard it isn't particularly good; the Uncharted series is much better at making huge aplosions and environmental destruction really awesome, and hey, look at that, it doesn't have a an iron pole so far up its ass that it can't take a breather now and then and actually let you play it for a bit.

Since Far Cry the blokes at Crytek seem to have become steadily more stodgy and less interested in providing that sort of entertainment.

Now they have, with Cryis 2, delivered the ultimate stodgy, stuck-up, prick of a game; it is the crème de la crème of exaggerated sci-fi apocalypse tripe, and a massive waste of time and money on the part of everyone involved in its production, because:

A)It's stupid, and useless, and generic, and it signifies nothing.

and

B) Even in signifying nothing it can't manage to be fun, not even for a moment.

Bulletstorm is also a ridiculous bunch of drivel, but it's incredibly fun, and it allows you to play it more often than not; somehow, that was enough. Crazy, I know.

The game is an incredible bore, and it isn't even a well-designed bore.

For instance: the game offers you a selection of suit upgrades which you earn by collecting the essences of dead aliens; incredibly, a good handful of design issues bloom from this seemingly simple system.

First, collecting the alien essences is a pesky chore. Their "hit-boxes", so to speak, are incredibly finicky. Often I found myself leaping through the air again and again trying to collect that sparkling silver dust, or fairy piss, or whatever the hell it is, or else not being able to reach it at all, because I killed an alien whilst he was in a tree, or atop an outhouse, or up a dog's ass or something, and I couldn't quite get to it.

Why not make it simple, Crytek? Why not just have you pick it up automatically, or let your suit magically absorb it from a distance or something? You certainly made up enough ridiculous **** to justify other gameplay conceits, so why not something for this, eh?

Secondly, most of the suit upgrades are inane, and the earlier ability purchases are nullified by the fact that you can only use one in each slot at any given time. Rather than encouraging variation and experimentation ala' tonics in BioShock, this really just boils down to "use most expensive upgrade", unless of course that upgrade is the most expensive one, which lets you track cloaked enemies on your radar.

You know, cloaked enemies, those really annoying ones, of whom there are four in the ENTIRE ****ING GAME. Four. How do you miss something like that? Were the QA testers too busy snorting blow off random hooker's asses to notice?

I kind of hope so, because I'd like to think that this game's budget wasn't a complete waste; it certainly was in terms of the game proper.

I mean, when I see games like this and like Black Ops, huge masturbatory spectacles divorced of any sort of meaning, or reason, or lasting appeal, I have to ask myself, how many actually decent games could have been made with the money put into this budget?

Fifty? A hundred? More, maybe?

Piracy? Yeah, it's bad, it definitely hurts gaming. But I have to think that publishers spending insane amounts of money on generic, wasteful piss like this does far more damage altogether.

Imagine if EA had just said **** it halfway through Crysis 2's development, pulled the plug, then took the remaining budget, let's say just half off the overall production budget, not even counting the insane marketing dough, and used it to fund five small teams working on wildly original, dangerous new IPs.

Even if only one or two of them ended up being halfway decent, it would still be a better situation than the one we're currently left with, which, for me personally, boils down to sixty dollars blown, a handful of hours completed wasted, and innumerable braincells fried beyond repair by information-overload crack-head edited cutscenes and painfully slow nanosuit crawling scenes which were only slightly less interesting and slightly more repugnant than watching a drop of molasses fall ever so slowly from the lip of an obese donkey dead on the side of the road from having eaten barrels and barrels of syrup fed to it by its owner who now lies mangled and crushed beneath it, a showcase of excess, waste, and extreme stupidity, and hey, look, the metaphor is complete.

Welcome to Crysis 2.

CONCLUSION:

achieved with massive amounts of money and a complete lack of anything even resembling intelligence, restraint, or basic common sense out of 10

PORTAL 2 SINGLE PLAYER REVIEW

Jynxzor:

I stand ready with portal gun in hand, I fully expect to be accosted with cute but murderous turrets, tossing myself form ungodly heights to only send myself hurtling across the room to avoid a pleasant acid both. What do I find when I walk into the first test chamber...I find that Portal 2 is going to be a entirely new beast than the short gem I had previously encountered.

Before we look at Portal 2 I think we need to take a short look at what made Portal such a gem in the first place.

Portal was a quirky game brought to us by Valve, almost unknowing of what they created it was crammed into the Orange box left to just "be there" surrounded by two larger games. I'm not sure if Valve even though that Portal would ever be the cult hit it is today. Players around the world grasped onto the game not only for it's innovative use of the portal device to solve physics puzzles, but also the amazing dark humor that was so core to the game experience it's hard to imagine Portal ever being here without Glados and the silent protagonist being just the way they were. Now on to the review!

Portal 2 opens as mysteriously as the first portal did, only this time instead of being awoken in a test chamber you awake in a Motel room with no windows...or much of anything. A disembodied voice puts you through your stretches to make sure you still alive and not a drooling simpleton and then puts you back to bed...then things get real. You awake once again to hear this mans voice.

Only he looks less like this...and more ball on a stick. Wheatly and his voice actor Steve Merchant are a very welcome addition to the crew in Portal 2, and like its predecessor it is hard to see the game being the same without them.

Long story short, Chell the protagonist from the first game never managed to escape Aperture science "depending on what version of the game you played you may or may not know this fact" and this chipper fellow with a alarmingly british accent is your key to finding your way out of the facility. Glados herself thankfully is still inoperable during your attempt to leave the darned place...and her inactivity and how long you have been held captive is made apparent by the fact that the entire place has a bad case of Jungle fever and falling apart syndrome. Now obviously we are all aware that Glados doesn't stay silent forever, push comes to shove and unfortunately Glados rubs her tired eyes and remember that you threw most of her into a fire...and she is less than pleased about it, but there is science to be done!

The first thing that differentiates this game from all others is the flat out amazing quality of not only the voice acting, but the script. Many times you will pause and listen to the banter the characters will have with the rather untalkative Chell. Something as simple as Wheatley asking your character to say "Apple" to denote your not suffering from an acute case of mush brain is downright hilarious. If you don't stop and listen to the banter these characters have to offer you are missing out on a large portion of what makes this game great. Never has a video game had such a not only humorous but powerful script every single line has a purpose and it delivers home every single time. Something like this strikes home when we have massive budget games with huge scripts and voice actors and there is so much flak that is not required and to have Portal 2 do it so well just makes me gleam with excitement when I know developers will look to this game as a benchmark for not only the script, but the overall delivery system they present. Steve Merchant "Wheatley", Ellen McLain "Glados", J K Simmons "Cage Johnson president of Aperture Science" all blow me away with how well they all play there parts.

The other thing that bring the game to a whole new level is that the whole world feels alive as you move through it, almost every room you enter is in the midst of being configured, early on there are plenty of broken pieces trying to automatically correct themselves, later on everything become so flush and smooth you hardly ever remember the previous state the facility was in mere minutes ago. The main factor of this is the use of "Tiles" as the game call it.

...Yup while this may look like an ordinary floor the entirety of most environments are the assembly of these individual grids that form slick, smooth, sciency rooms. They even give you glimpses of how these look unsegmented and what runs behind the scenes...Everything in the game is so fluid it runs in perfect harmony.

Next up is the superb animation, Wheatley for being a small spherical ball he is, can convey Fear, Joy, Hate, Jealousy, Sarcasm, all with amazing detail, wether it be him rolling his eye at you or bashfully looking away when he needs to do something. It must have taken ages to place all that superb detail into every nook and cranny of the game, you run down a hallway where turrets are being assembled in the background an almost throwaway animation that most people would walk by without having a second thought. They detail the entire process of manufacturing a turret up to putting it in the box! Thats the kind of detail Valve is throwing at us here.

Portal 2 does an amazing job introducing those who are rusty to the concept back into the groove of things, and those who never touched Portal wont find a large bar to entrance either. Portal Veterans will remember flinging themselves through high-velocity portals via some sort of high-ground was a large part of almost all the puzzle solving, here the game almost taunts you by making these sort of jumps few and far between making you start your thinking process about the puzzles from the ground up. I wont spoil anything but new mechanics and puzzle solving elements are welcome additions and are not too numerous as to make old techniques obsolete. The only small issue I have is that some puzzles feel far too linear in the solving process at times in Portal you could solve one puzzle in multiple ways or at least it felt like you were solving them in your own fashion even if there was only one true solution, but a few puzzles are downright perplexing if you don't look at it exactly as they wanted you too. It's easy to miss a small detail that makes you fall mere inches short of a platform making you think you just didn't hit the portal right making you spend a long time attempting that fatal jump to only find another solution staring you in the face.

There is so much I could say about this game but it would just ruin the fun for anyone looking to play this game. Even for it's single player campaign alone this game is by far the best purchase you will make this year if you are into puzzle games in the slightest, or even intrigued by Portal 2's concept.

Everything the game does it does perfectly, every nail was hit on the head, every aspect of the game just fits together! It's not often I will say this about a game, but this is a must own game hands down.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Willy105

Fabz_95:

So what do you think guys, who was the best for this half of the month?

We've had a healthy selection of multiplats in Portal 2, MK9 and WSC Real 11 and we've also had some decent exclusives in Socom 4, Patapon 3 and Anomaly Warzone.

Overall it's been a great two weeks but due to the lack of exclusives from the other platforms I think we've got to give this one to Sony (don't forget, Michael Jackson The Experience scored a 7.0 on the PS3 and a 6.0 on the 360, very surprising, I didn't think it would be that good). The PC has one great exclusive in Anomaly but the fact that it misses out on MK9 and Sony have more exclusives, albeit lower scoring ones (they also have Dungen Hunter: Alliance, a PSN title scoring a 7.0), my vote goes to Sony this time.

What say you SWM?

789shadow:

I think we can immediately strike Nintendo off the list, because other than rumors about their next console, they had nothing these two weeks.

Fabz_95:

Agreed, unless we can count the slightly embarrassing score of 4.5 for Combat of Giants 3DS.

Jynxzor:

I have to side with the PS3 this time around, they got the hands down best version of the best game that ever did game the game space...Portal 2. Not even on any sort of technical level, the 2 for 1 PS3 and PC is just hard to ignore.

I can't even think of a witty response as to why it was amazing. If I could speak in a british accent I'm sure I could make some witty portal 2 reference...

I'm a Potato!

Darkspineslayer:

PC gets this one, the unfortunate downtime of PSN has rendered the superiour PS3 version down to single player for the time being. not to mention, being a valve game...the PC is where it always belonged!

Mortal Kombat who?

Jynxzor:

PC gets this one, the unfortunate downtime of PSN has rendered the superiour PS3 version down to single player for the time being.

darkspineslayer

1. Still get the game pretty much 2 for 1

2. Local Co-Op owns Intrawebs Co-Op everyday of the week.

Forget those blasted emotes of Hi-Fives you can't match the epic Bro-fists me and my brother exchange when we solve a hard puzzle, we also have a habbit of disembodying ourselfes and dribling/spinning our heads and torsos when we win.

Darkspineslayer:

But wait! PS3 got Socom. What about that?789shadow

What about that? :P

Fabz_95:

Socom is pretty solid and the new MK game is fantastic. I don't think we can give this to the PC just because of Portal 2 especially since the PS3 version does give the PC version for free.

DarkLink77:

One one hand, the PS3 has the best console version of Portal 2, a bonus character in Mortal Kombat, and a solid exclusive in SOCOM 4.

On the other hand, none of that matters because PSN has been down for the better part of the week, and no one has any idea when it's going to come back up.

Normally, this would be an easy call, but I think the PSN outage kind of negates all of those nice things. PC wins off of the best version of Portal 2, just for the lulz.

789shadow: Then that settles it. PC wins for having the only playable version of Portal 2.

Current Stats

PC

Sony

Nintendo

Microsoft

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Good job guys :D.
Avatar image for deactivated-6040149309c71
deactivated-6040149309c71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 deactivated-6040149309c71
Member since 2010 • 718 Posts

Maybe valve was in charge of skynet and psn was attacked first. :o

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

It's so beautiful and fabulous! :cry:

This magazine just reminded me that I got to work on my DW7 review. :P

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fabz_95

It's so beautiful and fabulous! :cry:

This magazine just reminded me that I got to work on my DW7 review. :P

timmy00
You mean fabzulous :>. Also, thanks! I look forward to the DW7 review too :D.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

And here I thought we weren't going up until tomorrow. I was going to bust my ass to get some stuff in tonight, too. :cry:

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

Oh man, E3 is going to have a new console. Gonna be insane.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkLink77

Oh man, E3 is going to have a new console. Gonna be insane.

789shadow
Back to back Ninty wins confirmed? :o
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fabz_95

And here I thought we weren't going up until tomorrow. I was going to bust my ass to get some stuff in tonight, too. :cry:

DarkLink77
Content is released on a daily basis in SWM so you can still make it for this issue!
Avatar image for deactivated-619c4c1a1a382
deactivated-619c4c1a1a382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 deactivated-619c4c1a1a382
Member since 2005 • 4956 Posts
Spoiler alert with the Potato maybe?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

fabz_95
Content is released on a daily basis in SWM so you can still make it for this issue!

I know that Fabz. :P I just wanted to complain. :P
h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts
Although I dont have nearly the distain for Crysis 2 that Jethro has, it was hilarious nonetheless.
thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

Portal 2 is a masterpiece. :)

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

I came here for the battle royale... :(

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Willy105

Silverbond
Wait, people read those?
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Silverbond

[QUOTE="Silverbond"]

Willy105

Wait, people read those?

It's the best part!

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#21 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

man im so wanting a wii hd now!

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#22 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
Although I dont have nearly the distain for Crysis 2 that Jethro has, it was hilarious nonetheless. h575309
Jethro's reviews are gold. No... they're better than gold, they're diamonds.
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

[QUOTE="h575309"]Although I dont have nearly the distain for Crysis 2 that Jethro has, it was hilarious nonetheless. Stevo_the_gamer

*High fives*

Awwww yeahhh, bling-assed pimp status!

Yeah, but seriously guys, Crysis 2 sucks. If you haven't bought it yet, don't even bother. I paid the full $60 and it's stinging pretty bad right now.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Willy105
Yeah, I don't pay full price for games. Which sucks, because Nintendo games never go down in price.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Silverbond

Which sucks,because Nintendo games never go downWilly105

Is it wrong if I lol'd?

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Get yer' mind out of the gutter, champ!
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="h575309"]Although I dont have nearly the distain for Crysis 2 that Jethro has, it was hilarious nonetheless. jethrovegas

*High fives*

Awwww yeahhh, bling-assed pimp status!

Yeah, but seriously guys, Crysis 2 sucks. If you haven't bought it yet, don't even bother. I paid the full $60 and it's stinging pretty bad right now.

Then we have me who couldn't be happier I shelled out cash for Portal 2. Seriously that game rocks.
felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

Stevo, stop trolling the PS3, ya big meanie :cry:

I can't even get mad because of how funny it is :evil:

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

felipebo
That was like... the only time I wasn't trolling. :o
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

felipebo

PS3 Multiplayer? More like.........

*puts on glasses*

PS3 Multifailure.

YEAAAAAAAAAH.

UnrealLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 UnrealLegend
Member since 2009 • 5888 Posts

Great job guys :) Nice reviews for Portal 2 and Minecraft as well; two very good games.

felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

[QUOTE="felipebo"]

789shadow

*puts on glasses*

PS3 Multifailure.

YEAAAAAAAAAH.

You're all horrible people. I'm gonna enjoy some exclusive such Lair, Final Fanatsy 13, among many others.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Willy105

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

[QUOTE="felipebo"]

felipebo

*puts on glasses*

PS3 Multifailure.

YEAAAAAAAAAH.

You're all horrible people. I'm gonna enjoy some exclusive such Lair, Final Fanatsy 13, among many others.

It's hard to believe how linear FF13 is.

It took actual effort to do all those corridors and never design them anything other than a line.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fabz_95

Silverbond
Haha, nice to see there are some fans of the Battle Royale. You'll have to wait a little longer for it, it'll be released this week though :).
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Ehm, well I certainly enjoy reading these, though I can't say I agree with the Crysis 2 review. Kinda just feels like a "Haters gonna hate" thing with no real support for the established arguments. Crysis 2 it was a step down from Crysis 1, but it was still a solid experience with lots of good fights and solid setpieces.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jethrovegas

Ehm, well I certainly enjoy reading these, though I can't say I agree with the Crysis 2 review. Kinda just feels like a "Haters gonna hate" thing with no real support for the established arguments. Crysis 2 it was a step down from Crysis 1, but it was still a solid experience with lots of good fights and solid setpieces.

Vaasman

Mainly the game was just a pain in the ass.

It was shrill and overblown; it tried so hard to be a spectacle that it threw a lot of the basic tenets of good design right out the window. It was, to put it lightly, horribly paced. The scenes where the game took control away from the player and made them watch the suit doing, you know, whatever, only broke the flow even worse. The rambling, mostly incoherent cutscenes had me pulling my headphones off more than a few times; the comms channel was a blur of random yelling, with so many directives and updates from various characters that it was hard to tell what the **** was going on at any given moment, other than, you know, explosions.

As mentioned in the review, the suit upgrade system was trash, just very poorly implemented. Most of the weapons were unremarkable and dissatisfying; stealth was far too easy, to the point that I often found myself just skipping entire battles to avoid the yawn-fest combat. Literally, I would just turn invisible and run past enemies, no questions asked.

The enemy AI was bad, and not just the humans either. There were actually a good handful of occasions where ceph heavy units just stood in one place, not firing or anything, and gracefully allowed me to murder them.

Again and again the game pretended to some sort of revelation or climax, building up and up, and whilst many of the scenes in the game were visually impressive, few if any of them were even mildly interesting from a gameplay perspective. Usually you were just watching **** blow up; first-person cutscenes if you will. Personally, I like gameplay, not games that take control away from me every few minutes so I can watch some Super Cool Stuffhappen, with little to no input on my part.

I could honestly go on for pages more (the ending, for instance, was bloody terrible) but I think you get the idea. I'm not just hating to hate; I genuinely dislike this game. It sucks.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#39 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Could Jethrovegas have used the word piss anymore in his Crysis 2 review? I'm surprised he didn't just rate it "piss out of 10." Then again, when the complaint you have for collecting nanosuit upgrades is, "I couldn't figure out how to properly walk over it!" I guess piss is all you can say about a competent shooter. :roll:

animorphsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 animorphsfan
Member since 2006 • 1511 Posts

Portal 2 has to be one of of the best games I have ever played, and I have yet to play the co-op.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Willy105

Portal 2 has to be one of of the best games I have ever played, and I have yet to play the co-op.

animorphsfan
You'll play it eventually.
Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts
Well people have their opinions and Crysis 2 is crap seems to be all the rage....
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Could Jethrovegas have used the word piss anymore in his Crysis 2 review? NeonNinja

Yes, probably I'm sure he could have done so!

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarkLink77

Considering the whole, "Sorry, guiz, but your personal information has been compromised" revelation, I think the Battle Royale came to the right decision.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 fabz_95

Considering the whole, "Sorry, guiz, but your personal information has been compromised" revelation, I think the Battle Royale came to the right decision.

DarkLink77
Haha, agreed.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Silverbond

Nice Battle Royale! PC rules!

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jethrovegas

Could Jethrovegas have used the word piss anymore in his Crysis 2 review? I'm surprised he didn't just rate it "piss out of 10." Then again, when the complaint you have for collecting nanosuit upgrades is, "I couldn't figure out how to properly walk over it!" I guess piss is all you can say about a competent shooter. :roll:

NeonNinja

A few things:

1. I could have used 'piss' many more times. I only used the individual word three times, and then the variants "pissant" and "pissed" (as in, upon something) once each, so yeah, there's plenty of room left over there.

2. Nanosuit essences sometimes ended up in hard to reach places during my playthrough. That's something you may or may not have experienced, so hey, whatever, but something you most certainly did experience was the suit upgrade system itself, and I would absolutely love to hear your defense of that.

3. 'Competent' is a compliment now? Seriously? Like, how would you feel if you overheard some people talking about you, saying "well, he's competent, at least." I'd be terribly offended; I know Crysis 2 must be. It's probably off crying in a corner right now.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#48 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

jethrovegas

A few things:

1. I could have used 'piss' many more times. I only used the individual word three times, and then the variants "pissant" and "pissed" (as in, upon something) once each, so yeah, there's plenty of room left over there.

2. Nanosuit essences sometimes ended up in hard to reach places during my playthrough. That's something you may or may not have experienced, so hey, whatever, but something you most certainly did experience was the suit upgrade system itself, and I would absolutely love to hear your defense of that.

3. 'Competent' is a compliment now? Seriously? Like, how would you feel if you overheard some people talking about you, saying "well, he's competent, at least." I'd be terribly offended; I know Crysis 2 must be. It's probably off crying in a corner right now.

1. It's good to know you had some self-restraint.

2.I was playing on Veteran but using the enemy tracer, suit powers regeneratin faster and more control in the air caused no issues. I don't know which powers you used, but there was nothing game breaking about those minor assists. Some I didn't bother using because they sounded dumb, like the air-stomp. So maybe that one caused some issues for you? I don't know, the powers I chose were pretty passive and just made playing even smoother.

3. I never said 'competent' was a compliment. You just make Crysis 2 out to be a broken mess of a shooter that serves no purpose. That's a stance I disagree with. It's nowhere near as good as the first Crysis, but this is a beefed up version of Crysis: Warhead. Aesthetically it has the best alien invasion I've seen. The gameplay is basically that of Crysis: Warhead or even Halo: Reach, a linear shooter with some variety in the combat. Sections like the evacuation of the city at night were absolutely intense.

There are naturally criticisms that can be made against the game. The first and most glaring is the lack of a quicksave option. The second is that during the first part of the game checkpoint spacing is atrocious. I play my shooters on hard, Veteran in this case, and it was annoying to not be able to quicksave and to have to replay large sections. The other criticism that's valid is the enemy AI. It isn't bad, but it often had some stupid moments like getting stuck between objects or being unaware of when you killed their friends. The other criticism was Alcatraz's lack of a voice, it got on my nerves to no end playing as a mute character. The other criticism is that the multiplayer, developed by the ever over-rated Free Radical (creators of further over-rated trash like TimeSplitters), has no longevity to it.

It's far from a world-cIass shooter like the first Crysis, but it's a fun, compelling shooter that has some intense moments, an eerie and startling invasion, great graphics despite the graphics being two steps down from the original Crysis and Crysis: Warhead, great level design and is, yes, a competent shooter. Not the incompetent mess that you describe it as.

EDIT- I forgot to mention that I also used the silent footsteps upgrade as well with the suitpowers.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 fabz_95

Nice Battle Royale! PC rules!

Silverbond
Glad you liked it :).
Willy105