6950/6970 Unlock, Is It Dangerous?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Hi, I was wondering how risky the 6950/6970 unlock was?

can i flash it back to 6950 speeds if it goes wrong?

will it do damage to my card?

has anyone else here done it yet?

thanks.

ljt216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ljt216
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Yes its completely safe. You are able to adjust the clock speeds of the GPU and memory as you see fit. You can also revert any changes you make. An option is provided to test the clocks to see if they are stable but i would recommend using a bench mark program to see if you GPU will run stably under load for a few hours. Generally over clocking is fairly safe unless you are stupid about it. I have an ATI 5850 with vapour x cooling and fan speed at 50% and I was able to squeeze an extra 175MHZ out of the GPU clock and about 125MHZ out of the memory. All in all that accounted for about a 15 % increase in performance, GPU over clocking does not provide the same results as CPU over clocking but it is always nice to get a little extra for your money. Summery: yes you can, you will be fine. CCC makes doing everything really easy so make sure you have the latest drivers first
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PcGamingRig

Yes its completely safe. You are able to adjust the clock speeds of the GPU and memory as you see fit. You can also revert any changes you make. An option is provided to test the clocks to see if they are stable but i would recommend using a bench mark program to see if you GPU will run stably under load for a few hours. Generally over clocking is fairly safe unless you are stupid about it. I have an ATI 5850 with vapour x cooling and fan speed at 50% and I was able to squeeze an extra 175MHZ out of the GPU clock and about 125MHZ out of the memory. All in all that accounted for about a 15 % increase in performance, GPU over clocking does not provide the same results as CPU over clocking but it is always nice to get a little extra for your money. Summery: yes you can, you will be fine. CCC makes doing everything really easy so make sure you have the latest drivers firstljt216
im not talking about simple overclocking im talking about the bios flash to change your 6950 into a 6970.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

not sure, but does doing that void the warranty in any way? I don't think so since bios flashes are supposed to be reversable.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PcGamingRig

not sure, but does doing that void the warranty in any way? I don't think so since bios flashes are supposed to be reversable.

blaznwiipspman1

yeh you can flash it back to the original, it's just doing damage to the card that is irreversable that im worried about.

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
With all the people that have been doing it, I have not seen a single problem arise.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
With all the people that have been doing it, I have not seen a single problem arise.SoraX64
It a new card. Not even a month old. It's too soon to tell if this method will cause damage or not.
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PcGamingRig

[QUOTE="SoraX64"]With all the people that have been doing it, I have not seen a single problem arise.xsubtownerx
It a new card. Not even a month old. It's too soon to tell if this method will cause damage or not.

that's what i was thinking, i think ill stick to normal OC for now.