PC gaming IS dying... for different reason.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MxM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 MxM
Member since 2002 • 1064 Posts

I am a PC gamer, and PC is my prefered platform for games, as long as they will exist. However, looking into my crystal ball I can see that the PC gaming will die, because home PC themselves will die! The devices like iPad will rule at home, and as a result PC will be used mostly for work and at work. There will be less and less incentives to produce PC game, at the same time more and more games will come to iPad like devices.

It will not happen tomorow, but in 10 years I will bet that most homes will not have PC, but rather iPad-like device, or something build into TV...

SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

Sad that I'm hearing this from a "PC gamer." Wasn't PC gaming suppose to die like 3 years ago?

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

PC gamers don't buy PCs to work on. So I don't see why we would buy an Ipad for gaming.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

I hearby declare a jyhad on ALL topics of platforms dying. That goes for them all; PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, and PC.

nintendog66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nintendog66
Member since 2006 • 2300 Posts
No no no no. There's so much wrong in that post. iPad will NEVER be a replacement for anything. It's a useless gadget that can provide 10 to 15 minutes of amusement and then be put back into the box it came on to never be used again. It provides ZERO productivity and really can't be used for anything in particular.
DerpyMcDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 DerpyMcDerp
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

Nah, PC gaming isn't going to die, they're just headed in a different direction than console games. The free-to-play and micro-transaction model is where many PC games are going and I only see it increasing in the future.

Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

Valid point actually, but until game developers stop developing on pcs.... companies decide to use ipad type devices of pc's, and some company makes a damn touch screen keyboard better than an actual one... I doubt it.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
:lol:. IPad replacing PC?
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

PC gaming has apparently been dying for the last ten years.

QiiXii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 QiiXii
Member since 2009 • 603 Posts
The typical home PC isn't used for gaming (besides Flash games) anyways...
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Infinite_Access

Vesica_Prime

Def on the decline.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

No no no no. There's so much wrong in that post. iPad will NEVER be a replacement for anything. It's a useless gadget that can provide 10 to 15 minutes of amusement and then be put back into the box it came on to never be used again. It provides ZERO productivity and really can't be used for anything in particular.nintendog66
and thats why windows 7 now supports SOC and ARM, gpu/cpu hybrids for mainstream, he's got a point... i wouldn't even have a desktop if i didn't need it for work,

Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Infinite_Access

[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

Infinite_Access

Def on the decline.

EIther that or consoles have continously been on the rise.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

What PC gamer want play on iPad and not a gaming rig?!?!?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts
PC gaming will stay alive, just in different ways, Steam is going to take over PC gaming retail and places like GameStop and Best Buy will eventually not bother.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
The only reason this argument keeps popping up is because people are using old techniques to measure PC gaming, when the age of DD is upon us people still look at retails sales and become a Doomsayer - "PC gaming is dying, save the children!!" Get over yourself.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

What PC gamer want play on iPad and not a gaming rig?!?!?

aroxx_ab
He's counting iPad being common as if it's the new age of gaming, "Oh i have an iPad i no longer need this pesky dekstop!" laughable at best.
jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
LOL... Another PC gaming is died/dying thread..... you would think mods would ad a rule to stop any statements that a "platform is dying"..
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

LOL... Another PC gaming is died/dying thread..... you would think mods would ad a rule to stop any statements that a "platform is dying"..jedikevin2

Then what would half of System Wars bleat on about? :P

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts
[QUOTE="Infinite_Access"]

[QUOTE="Infinite_Access"]

[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

Def on the decline.

EIther that or consoles have continously been on the rise.

Wrong. Both are on the rise. There are more gamers on both platforms than before.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

You're assuming PC's won't evolve and move with the times, and that it will remain stationary and thus stagnate. Laptops are becoming a big thing now, and we'll soon be seeing things like GPGPU's which'll further shrink the size for computers.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
It's not dead because I'm still playing it.
goodtobeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 goodtobeback
Member since 2010 • 707 Posts

nope

goodtobeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 goodtobeback
Member since 2010 • 707 Posts

development is bound to pick back up one day.

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts
Yeah......not.
Metalscarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Metalscarz
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts

.... i wouldn't even have a desktop if i didn't need it for work.

savagetwinkie

I would.....because I game on it. Same as other PC gamers. So long as powerful 3d cards are available there will be people like me buying desktops to play games on them.

Valiant_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Valiant_Rebel
Member since 2009 • 4197 Posts

You pretty much just said that the ipad is superior to all other platforms and it will replace them all. That is truly inaccurate.

Laptops, tablets, and other "all-in-one" devices are on the rise because of their ease of use, but that doesn't mean desktops are on the decline. It's rising because of the market for both business and entertainment. You do have computers meant for work (graphic desing, architecture, etc.) and then you have computers meant for entertainment (movies, music, games, social network, etc.).

You also cannot believe that all the current game developers are going to use their years of experience to solely deveop for the ipad. Gaming would dramatically lose its edge and begin to falter.

Regardless of the size of the PC gaming market whether it is big or small, you cannot ignore it. There are stll people that get into PC gaming today by setting up their own pre-built system or buying an overpriced desktop for convenience reasons. That doesn't include those that choose (have to emphasis this word) to upgrade their hardware at any given time.

Everything is one the rise now, but neither of them is phasing the other out.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

PC gaming will probably merge with console gaming as televisions willbecome more and more like computers over the next decade.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

naw, those ipads and tablets are mostly a fad... in a few years I bet you wont see that many tablets running on cell phone operating systems with cell phone like specs. Its just that right now everything apple does is a success, no matter how dumb.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15541 Posts

I am a PC gamer, and PC is my prefered platform for games, as long as they will exist. However, looking into my crystal ball I can see that the PC gaming will die, because home PC themselves will die! The devices like iPad will rule at home, and as a result PC will be used mostly for work and at work. There will be less and less incentives to produce PC game, at the same time more and more games will come to iPad like devices.

It will not happen tomorow, but in 10 years I will bet that most homes will not have PC, but rather iPad-like device, or something build into TV...

MxM

No.

There will always be a market for larger, higher performance devices.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

PC gaming will probably merge with console gaming as televisions willbecome more and more like computers over the next decade.

PatchMaster
I think google will take over, right under microsofts nose. Android arleady pretty much replaced windows mobile, now microsoft is fighting from behind to retake their position in the mobile market.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

gtx 580

It's only been 5 years since the last consoles, and look at what the PC has now - GDDR-5:o

When the PS3 was released, they had just begun placing 512 MB of GDDR-3 on GPU cards.

With innovations from nVidia and ATI, no way PC desktops will die out.:lol:

DarkblueNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarkblueNinja
Member since 2009 • 1016 Posts

MxM

This is what people say when the first Laptop came out lol been more than 10 years now....

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

The Ipad doesn't even run flash. I wouldn't use those things to browse the internet, much less play games.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts

MxM
I don't think I'm exactly going out at a limb here saying that PCs are more popular than the iPad. BTW this thread is ridiculous.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 topgunmv

gtx 580

It's only been 5 years since the last consoles, and look at what the PC has now - GDDR-5:o

When the PS3 was released, they had just begun placing 512 MB of GDDR-3 on GPU cards.

topsemag55

Why do nvidia cards have such random memory amounts?

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
I'm a console gamer and I see consoles dying. I'm a PC user and I see them dying. I'm a Apple Hater and I see them not dying. I'm a human being and I see myself dying... PC Gaming is not going to die nor is it dying =)
OmegaPillow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OmegaPillow
Member since 2010 • 1055 Posts

You know youre obsessed with system wars when you take this thread serious

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

topgunmv

To be honest, I have no idea.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

Espada12

To be honest, I have no idea.

How's is that random amount? thats 1.5 gb of memory, in the last 5 years we have had 256mb 384mb, 512mb 768mb, 1024mb, 1280mb, 1536mb, and 2048mb

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

MxM

AMD Ontario vs Intel Atom vs NVIDIA Tegra 2

Notice how tiny is AMD Bobcat's X86 decoders.

In terms of transisiors packing engineering skills, NVIDIA and Intel has yet to match AMD(ATI).

AMD Radeon HD 5800(2.1billion transisiors, 334mm^2) and 6800(1.7billion transisiors, 255mm^2)'s die sizeis still smaller than NVIDIA's Geforce GTX460 (1.95billion transisiors 367mm^2).

---

From http://www.anandtech.com/show/2911/2

NVIDIA Tegra 2 has die size of 49mm^2 and ARM Cortex A9 occupy around 10% of the total die area i.e. 4.9mm^2. AMD Bobcat (Out of Order, TSMC 40 nm) has 4.6mm^2, which is already striking distance of ARM Cortex A9 (Out of Order, TSMC 40 nm).

AMD Ontario,400 million transisiors/ 74mm^2 = 5.4 million transisiors per mm^2

NVIDIA Tegra 2, 260 million transisiors/ 49mm^2 = 5.3 million transisiors per mm^2

------------------------------------------

AMD Radeon HD 5800, 6.287 million transisiors per mm^2

AMD Radeon HD 6800, 6.67 million transisiors per mm^2

NVIDIA Geforce GTX460, 5.31 million transisiors per mm^2

------------------------------------------

AMD easily beat NVIDIA in transisiors per mm^2.

Benchmarks between ARM Cortex A9 vs Intel Atom from http://greenm3.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54f92c99e88340133ed275c68970b-piwhich shows thatboth CPUs are similar in performance levels.

We know AMD Bobcat beats Intel Atom.

MxM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MxM

First of all, I did not say iPad will replace PC, I said iPad like devices - big difference. Today, it is iPad and Android tablets (are there good Windows 7 tablets?), in 10 years, they will be much better, much more functional, may be even with sliding keyboad. And yes, laptops will die too, because for HOME USE, tablet interface (touch screen) is just better.

Laptops and PCs will not exist if they are just purely gaming platform, they exist for different reasons, and those reasons will disapear with iPad devices being dominant...

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

gtx 580

topgunmv

How is that random?:?

1536 MB = 1.5 GB, 1024 + 512 = 1536.

Binary is powers of 2, not decimal base 10.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#44 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
things wrong with OP 1. 'i am a pc gamer..............however..............' 2. pc's will die 3. pc's will be used mostly for work 4. ipad-like device replaying pc 5. computers being built into tv
Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#45 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

The problem with your argument is that iPad and other devices will never be a replacement for a gaming rig/laptop simply because you will never be able to fit a top of the line graphics card into an iPad or any other mobile devices. If you want the best graphics run on the biggest screens PC's is the only way to go. It's kinda of like saying people watching movies in theatres will die over the next years or so. Ten years from now people will still watch movies in the theatres partly because they want to watch movies in a big screen that can't be matched at home because that provides the best experience. As long as there are people who will pay to get the "best graphics" or the "best experience" PC gaming will continue to live.

And a RECORD 31 million people on Steam says otherwise. 8)

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Look, another professional analyst predicting the death of PC gaming. :lol:

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts
[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

I think google will take over, right under microsofts nose. Android arleady pretty much replaced windows mobile, now microsoft is fighting from behind to retake their position in the mobile market.

Pretty much. I think they were showing off Google TV at CES the other day.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

First of all, I did not say iPad will replace PC, I said iPad like devices - big difference. Today, it is iPad and Android tablets (are there good Windows 7 tablets?), in 10 years, they will be much better, much more functional, may be even with sliding keyboad. And yes, laptops will die too, because for HOME USE, tablet interface (touch screen) is just better.

Laptops and PCs will not exist if they are just purely gaming platform, they exist for different reasons, and those reasons will disapear with iPad devices being dominant...

MxM
Unless I've misinterpreted something, what you're effectively arguing is that within 10 years, people will for some reason lose interest in playing the types of games currently available on PC to the point that further development of them would be unsustainable.
MxM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MxM
[QUOTE="MxM"]

McStrongfast
Unless I've misinterpreted something, what you're effectively arguing is that within 10 years, people will for some reason lose interest in playing the types of games currently available on PC to the point that further development of them would be unsustainable.

Yes, you miss my point. It is not that people will lose interest to PC games, it is that they will lose interest to PC itself. And PC only as a gaming platform will not prosper (will die). PC gaming exists only because there are PCs in the first place, and those PCs are used for many things, such as e-mail and internet browsing. Once those reasons disappear, and gaming will be the only reason to have PC, this platform will not survive.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 topgunmv

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

gtx 580

topsemag55

How is that random?:?

1536 MB = 1.5 GB, 1024 + 512 = 1536.

Binary is powers of 2, not decimal base 10.

Everyone else advances double the previous amount. 4-8-16-32-64-128-256-512-1024-2048.