are emulators illegal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nin3DS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 nin3DS
Member since 2010 • 846 Posts

hey I saw a website for emulators and just curious on the legallity of the issue.

D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

Some emulators arn't illegal, but its the content thats loaded onto them that is usually illegal.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

No, they aren't illegal. The games compatible with them, however, are.

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts
More information from yahoo answers - [QUOTE=""] Even if you own the game, it's illegal to have the ROM. This is from Nintendo (http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#emulator%29) Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game? There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet. Are emulators illegal? Well, technically it's not illegal to have it, but what good is it having the emulator if you can't do anything with it. To make the emulator useful, you have to get the ROMs, and it's illegal to possess ROMs. Having an emulator is having having a console but no games for it

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

This question gets asked a lot, but its really a simple matter..

Emulators are not illegal, but downloading roms, or any game of the net to play them on the emulator is illegal (as in its simply pirating the games, i don't know why its so hard to comprehend).

If you're using your original game CD's/DVD's that you purchased to play games on a emulator, on a PC, then that is perfectly legal.

If you're using a USB device (i always forget what its called exactly, but there are numerous models) to play your original NES/SNES/etc. cartridges that you purchased, on a PC emulator, then that is also perfectly legal to do so.

What's so hard to understand exactly?

Let me put this even more simple.

1. If you play the games that you own and purchased legally, on a emulator, then that is legal.
  2. If you download them of the net(roms, CD rips, etc.), and you play those on a emulator, that is pirating games, and is illegal. And it doesn't matter whether you own the original copies, you have to use THOSE original copies to play, for it to be legal..

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

If you play the games that you own and purchased legally, on a emulator, then that is legalLucianu

Not quite. you also need to own the console the emulator emulates, else the bios file required for the software to work still counts as software theft and backwards engineering. Still, t's all a big gray area, with no precise norms regulating it, so a company may sue and win even considering all of the above, yet rom sites flourish on the web despite all this.