Sakaguchi to Square-Enix: 'Stop rehasing Final Fantasy'

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Hironobu Sakaguchi, creator of the Final Fantasy series, recently took part in a candid exchange with a Square Enix employee in which he told the company to stop endlessly rehashing the same game.

Hironobu Sakaguchi, generally credited with creating the Final Fantasy series, left his executive vice president position at Square in 2004 to start his own studio, Mistwalker, responsible for Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

In a (light-hearted and friendly) Twitter based exchange with game designer Takashi Tokita, current head of one of Square Enix's development divisions, he was surprisingly frank:

Sakaguchi : "What about if you stopped all the rehashing of Final Fantasy?"

Tokita : "We're planning to!"

Twitter

Sakaguchi fields scepticism about his own current project, "The Last Story":

Ahiru0026: "Last Story sounds just like a Final Fantasy rehash from its title alone, what's up with that then?"

Sakaguchi : "If you tried it, I think you'd see it's not in any way a rehash."
Twitter

Few could help but sympathise with Sakaguchi's comments – Japan's gaming industry, and in particular its RPG segment, have become stultifyingly unoriginal in recent years, failing to innovate in any significant fashion save moderate improvements in graphics.

Even Square Enix boss Wada, known to be a fan of western games, has given hints that the franchise may finally move on – might change finally be in the air?

Edit: You can get the full article from SankakuComplex

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts
Is this from Kotaku?
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts
He's right about The Last Story not being anything like FF though.
Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
They absolutely have to change their future products, or they will go into financial chaos. I'm saying this because Square-Enix's drop in quality is really starting to catch on, after so many bought XIII. It wasn't a bad game, but it wasn't great either. For XV, they need to make it more open, but not only that, deeper and more enriching. The breadth of the quest needs to be larger, there needs to be side quests, different locales where free roaming is available, etc... Or, you know, they could magically assemble the three Gods and create a Chrono sequel :P.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Doubt it. FF is a staple francise. Also the fact that they can always try something different with the series since nothing connects. Which to me is a plus to the series. Since if you dont like one part its not a fact that you will not like the next since it will be different. To me the main thing FF13 lacked was a bit more freedom. Im not talking uncessery big like 12 but somewhere in the middle. FF13 combat was great though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
People don't know what they want.
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
When the original creator of FF is getting annoyed with SE, that's a bad sign for the company's future.
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

He's right about The Last Story not being anything like FF though.Thunderdrone

Which is surprising considering the titles are synonymous.

I thought FF XIII was a great new entry to the series and while it didnt give the series new life it was a bold new step.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

I hope SE steps up their quality

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Is this from Kotaku?thom_maytees

I just check on kotaku and I havent seen this. so It can't be

YuriSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 YuriSH
Member since 2010 • 1803 Posts

I thought FF XIII was a great new entry to the series and while it didnt give the series new life it was a bold new step.

Shirokishi_

I'd love for them to work on the battle system of FF 13 more. While I can't say I enjoyed it that much and I felt like there was a lot of things that could of been fixed, I can see the potential. Anyway, SE will never stop rehashing the FF name, never.

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
Aside from the Sin Megami Tensei games, Jrpgs have been week lately, plain and simple.
bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

Aside from similar titles, Last Story already looks like a radically different game. When was the last time you saw a stealth and cover system in a JRPG?

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I don't feel that western games have been original either. Sure there are the occasional, but I'd like to play something that I haven't 'played' before.
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts
SankakuComplex.com (a site with mature content), this explains why the TC did not provide a link to the article.
Ziek-AAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ziek-AAT
Member since 2008 • 717 Posts

As if Lost Odyssey wasn't a FF rehash, how ironic.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
He's right, newer FFs are bits and pieces of the old FFs. They're not doing anything different or new.
johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 johnlennon28
Member since 2008 • 2158 Posts
I say stop trying to westernize it, western people loves the FF series as it is, you know... japanese flavor
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts
As much as I agree that Final Fantasy is falling into a kind of derivative bent.... I totally disagree that Japan is in any way producing unoriginal games. See Super Mario Galaxy, Katamari Damacy, Nobi Nobi Boy, The Last Guardian, Shadow of the Colossus....there's still a great degree of originality and creative influence from Japan. However, a lot of these major studies have....devolved into a kind of bad copy of western markets, while western markets have started to refresh with some new ideas, even as the "Call of Duty" and "Guitar Hero" overcurrents dominate the industry.
archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

Ziek-AAT

Rehash or not its better than any recent FF titles, the battle system made me remember old school FF.

hd5870corei7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hd5870corei7
Member since 2010 • 1612 Posts
When the original creator of FF is getting annoyed with SE, that's a bad sign for the company's future.nervmeister
lol indeed.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

This seems very ironic to me. His studio has released two very generic JRPGs while every Final Fantasy does something different to stay fresh. The only thing SE seems to rehash with the franchise is the name.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="Ziek-AAT"]

archvile_78

Rehash or not its better than any recent FF titles, the battle system made me remember old school FF.

It reminded me gimped version of the Judgement Ring system from the Shadow Hearts titles. But I do agree with Sakaguchi about the FF franchise.

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

People don't know what they want.siLVURcross
I've been waiting years for the next installment of Chrono Trigger and Vagrant Story. I know what I want. I also know what I don't want. Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Gun Loco.

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts

This seems very ironic to me. His studio has released two very generic JRPGs while every Final Fantasy does something different to stay fresh. The only thing SE seems to rehash with the franchise is the name.

Ragnarok1051
This too. Sakaguchi isn't exactly an innovator right now, either. He deserves just as much shame.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Whats rehasing?

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Ragnarok1051

Right on the spot. If it was just a rehash the gameplay would be the same again and again and again which it isint. Each FF is different in one way or another.

runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 runbleduck
Member since 2008 • 578 Posts
says the guy who singlehandedly bankrupted Squaresoft with his 120+ million dollar final fantasy:the spirits within flop and inferior FF rehashes (blue dragon and LO).
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
ya they do....we dont want a million spinoffs when that time could be used towards the next installment
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

Definitely agree, too many spin-offs based on VII and now they are doing the same with XIII.

Also, what silVURCROSS said is also true, Fans really don't know what they want. All of them are demanding a remake of VII while others want a new original IP.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

As if he could be more of a hypocrite, maybe his new game is different, but so far I've enjoyed FFXIII more than any of his games since he went to mistwalker, and I didn't think FFXIII was all that.

On "The last Story":

In the game the protagonist Elza will attack the enemies automatically, and you just need to press the corresponding button to evade attack or use his unique Gathering power, which attracts nearby monsters.

Now I'm kind of worried.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

Ziek-AAT

Lost odyssey is a great game

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#33 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Sounds like Final Fantasy is about to get a Reboot.

Ziek-AAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ziek-AAT
Member since 2008 • 717 Posts

[QUOTE="Ziek-AAT"]

Wild_man_22

No, it is not.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 110million

[QUOTE="Wild_man_22"]

[QUOTE="Ziek-AAT"]

Ziek-AAT

No, it is not.

I loved LO's dream sequences, too bad the rest of the game wasn't up to par.
Loco_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Loco_Live
Member since 2010 • 3147 Posts

▲ I wonder...what are the possibilities that Bioware will be making a Final Fantasy game in the near future. Many Japanese developers are now outsourcing to western devs. I could see this happening. ▲

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 archvile_78

[QUOTE="Wild_man_22"]

[QUOTE="Ziek-AAT"]

Ziek-AAT

No, it is not.

I, for one, enjoyed the battle system as it was some kind of throwback to old school turn-based RPG i grew up with. So yes it is.

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
Lost in translation? FF 13 wasn't a rehash at all. Vs. 13 also is a different direction from the main series.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 110million

[QUOTE="Ziek-AAT"]

[QUOTE="Wild_man_22"]

archvile_78

No, it is not.

I, for one, enjoyed the battle system as it was some kind of throwback to old school turn-based RPG i grew up with. So yes it is.

I liked how the immortals could learn the skills of the others, but the poor framerate and slow paced combat took too long for typical random battles.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

As if he could be more of a hypocrite, maybe his new game is different, but so far I've enjoyed FFXIII more than any of his games since he went to mistwalker, and I didn't think FFXIII was all that.

On "The last Story":

In the game the protagonist Elza will attack the enemies automatically, and you just need to press the corresponding button to evade attack or use his unique Gathering power, which attracts nearby monsters.

Now I'm kind of worried.

110million

Unless there's some nifty Gambit like system in XII, or I get to manually control my team, I won't worry just yet.... >_> Sounds like it wants to be Actiony but have RPG elements. I say go one or the other.

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 archvile_78

[QUOTE="archvile_78"]

[QUOTE="Ziek-AAT"]

No, it is not.

110million

I liked how the immortals could learn the skills of the others, but the poor framerate and slow paced combat took too long for typical random battles.

I agree with you, from time to time, i'll be grinding to learn certain skills but the little intro before each fight gets tiring after a while. I think you know what i'm talking about.

@yoshi_64: I thought the Gambit system in XII was horrible, the game was playing by itself BUT i'm happy it was optional and not forced.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 110million

[QUOTE="110million"]

On "The last Story":

Now I'm kind of worried.

yoshi_64

Unless there's some nifty Gambit like system in XII, or I get to manually control my team, I won't worry just yet.... >_> Sounds like it wants to be Actiony but have RPG elements. I say go one or the other.

Yeah something like a gambit system would be sweet, as his last game (or so he says) I hope its a proper swan song for someone who led to a fairly great series of games overall. I will be dissapoint if its bad.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 110million

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="archvile_78"]

archvile_78

I agree with you, from time to time, i'll be grinding to learn certain skills but the little intro before each fight gets tiring after a while. I think you know what i'm talking about.

Yeah, the intro to every fight was a bit tiring, it last as long as some of the easier fights. :P I never did actually beat the game, was about 2/3rds of the way into Disk 3, just didn't have the will power to finish I guess.
YuriSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 YuriSH
Member since 2010 • 1803 Posts
Lost in translation? FF 13 wasn't a rehash at all. Vs. 13 also is a different direction from the main series. SilverChimera
I think he's not referring to the main series, but the spin-offs that they make on DS and Wii.
archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 archvile_78

[QUOTE="archvile_78"]

[QUOTE="110million"] I liked how the immortals could learn the skills of the others, but the poor framerate and slow paced combat took too long for typical random battles. 110million

Yeah, the intro to every fight was a bit tiring, it last as long as some of the easier fights. :P I never did actually beat the game, was about 2/3rds of the way into Disk 3, just didn't have the will power to finish I guess.

Heh, i'm myself on Disk 2 but its because i've got too many games to play. D;

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 110million
[QUOTE="SilverChimera"]Lost in translation? FF 13 wasn't a rehash at all. Vs. 13 also is a different direction from the main series. YuriSH
I think he's not referring to the main series, but the spin-offs that they make on DS and Wii.

Then I fully agree.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#47 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts
[QUOTE="SilverChimera"]Lost in translation? FF 13 wasn't a rehash at all. Vs. 13 also is a different direction from the main series. YuriSH

If thats what Sakaguchi means then I fully agree unless its a remake of older FF. There are so many spin offs like Dissidia, Crisis Core, Dierge of Cerberus, etc. its hard to keep track of the main series. I didn't even know FF14 came out.
the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 the-obiwan
Member since 2003 • 3747 Posts

[QUOTE="Ziek-AAT"]

[QUOTE="Wild_man_22"]

archvile_78

No, it is not.

Lost Odyssey is freaking awesome!!!!!! best jrpg of this gen, haters gonna hate thats it.
cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts

[QUOTE="Wild_man_22"]

Ziek-AAT

No, it is not.

Yes it is.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

Japan's gaming industry, and in particular its RPG segment, have become stultifyingly unoriginal in recent years

Blue-Sky

Gamespotters: Do NOT attempt to play scrabble with this man. You've been warned...