Cryengine 3 supports DX11, 3D and 8-core optimization.

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WhenCicadasCry
Member since 2010 • 2727 Posts

Link

Crysis 2: Everything about DirectX 11, 3D without perfomance-drop and 8-core-optimization

At the Gamescom 2010 PC Games Hardware was given the opportunity of gathering detailed information on CryEngine 3 which will be used in Crysis 2: DirectX 11 including compute shader and tessellation, multicore-rendering, stereoscopic 3D, cinematic effects and more.

Please keep in mind: The following details are referring to CryEngine 3 (CE3) in general and can't necessarily be linked with Crysis 2!

At gamescom 2010, Crytek's field applications engineer Sean Tracy showed to PC Games Hardware a live demonstration of CryEngine 3 in stereoscopic 3D. Of course in real-time ("What You See Is What You Play") within the powerful editor Sandbox 3. Instead of rendering each picture twice (=half the framerate!) and projecting it on a dedicated 120Hz LCD monitor, Crytek simply uses the back buffer and the depth information in the graphics card: The rendered frame is practically being cloned and the fractum shift procedure makes two out of it. Thus, on the one hand there is nearly no performance drop and on the other hand stereoscopic 3D might be possible on any display - no matter if it's on PC or consoles. Crytek calls this technology "Screen Space Re-Projection Stereo".

Crysis 2: Technological fireworks

On an Xbox 360 or a PS3, Crysis 2 runs at 1280x720 (720p) without anti-aliasing at 30 fps (vertically synchronised; whether double- or triple-buffering was enabled Sean couldn't tell us). The CryEngine 3 maxim corresponds with what John Carmack said about id Tech 5 engine (Rage): due to the consoles the engineers had to massively optimize the engine. Deferred lighting, for example, demands lots of input performance but it allows displaying very many light sources, plus dynamic shadows. One can also expect CE3 to use multi-core CPUs to full capacity. In short: at comparable graphics the game will run more smoothly than its predecessors based on CE2. The presentation was done on a Core i7-920 with 6GB of RAM and a GeForce GTX 260 using DirectX 9. As far as we've seen it, the demonstration ran smoothly - despite some toying around with the effects in Sandbox 3.

So, Sean showed us the implementation of many light sources in deferred lighting, plus real-time shadows, particles, the AI, the reengineered physics and some other cool features such as the scripting system. As already mentioned, the demonstration ran on DirectX 9. But Cryengine 3 also packs DirectX 10 and DX11, and in a few months it will be delivered to the first licencees. The most important feature are the compute shaders that will accelerate the computing of deferred lighting and post-effects. The engineers are still experimenting on tessellation but we expect it to be seen in Crysis 2.

Crysis 2: Up to 8 CPU cores can be used

When it comes to cinematic effects, CE3 includes everything there is: ambient occlusion, depth of field, (object) motion blur, even the bokeh filter. In addition it is highly optimized for multi-core systems: rendering, audio, AI, physics and so on are parallelised and accelerated in the game - up to eight cores would be used. Sean assured us, that CryEngine 3 would render nearly twice as many fps as CE2 at comparable graphics quality.

The PC version will probably support multi-sampling AA as well as the so-called morphological anti-aliasing. When we asked if the textures would have a higher resolution, Sean shrugged - which can be interpreted as a "yes".

I think it's fair to say that the Cryengine 3 is the most powerful game engine to date, and when developers get to grips with it, it's going to produce some mindblowing games. Crytek ftw. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
I really love the point of CryEngine 3 would render nearly twice as many fps as CE2 at comparable graphics quality.
Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts

Link

Crysis 2: Everything about DirectX 11, 3D without perfomance-drop and 8-core-optimization

At the Gamescom 2010 PC Games Hardware was given the opportunity of gathering detailed information on CryEngine 3 which will be used in Crysis 2: DirectX 11 including compute shader and tessellation, multicore-rendering, stereoscopic 3D, cinematic effects and more.

Please keep in mind: The following details are referring to CryEngine 3 (CE3) in general and can't necessarily be linked with Crysis 2!

At gamescom 2010, Crytek's field applications engineer Sean Tracy showed to PC Games Hardware a live demonstration of CryEngine 3 in stereoscopic 3D. Of course in real-time ("What You See Is What You Play") within the powerful editor Sandbox 3. Instead of rendering each picture twice (=half the framerate!) and projecting it on a dedicated 120Hz LCD monitor, Crytek simply uses the back buffer and the depth information in the graphics card: The rendered frame is practically being cloned and the fractum shift procedure makes two out of it. Thus, on the one hand there is nearly no performance drop and on the other hand stereoscopic 3D might be possible on any display - no matter if it's on PC or consoles. Crytek calls this technology "Screen Space Re-Projection Stereo".

Crysis 2: Technological fireworks

On an Xbox 360 or a PS3, Crysis 2 runs at 1280x720 (720p) without anti-aliasing at 30 fps (vertically synchronised; whether double- or triple-buffering was enabled Sean couldn't tell us). The CryEngine 3 maxim corresponds with what John Carmack said about id Tech 5 engine (Rage): due to the consoles the engineers had to massively optimize the engine. Deferred lighting, for example, demands lots of input performance but it allows displaying very many light sources, plus dynamic shadows. One can also expect CE3 to use multi-core CPUs to full capacity. In short: at comparable graphics the game will run more smoothly than its predecessors based on CE2. The presentation was done on a Core i7-920 with 6GB of RAM and a GeForce GTX 260 using DirectX 9. As far as we've seen it, the demonstration ran smoothly - despite some toying around with the effects in Sandbox 3.

So, Sean showed us the implementation of many light sources in deferred lighting, plus real-time shadows, particles, the AI, the reengineered physics and some other cool features such as the scripting system. As already mentioned, the demonstration ran on DirectX 9. But Cryengine 3 also packs DirectX 10 and DX11, and in a few months it will be delivered to the first licencees. The most important feature are the compute shaders that will accelerate the computing of deferred lighting and post-effects. The engineers are still experimenting on tessellation but we expect it to be seen in Crysis 2.

Crysis 2: Up to 8 CPU cores can be used

When it comes to cinematic effects, CE3 includes everything there is: ambient occlusion, depth of field, (object) motion blur, even the bokeh filter. In addition it is highly optimized for multi-core systems: rendering, audio, AI, physics and so on are parallelised and accelerated in the game - up to eight cores would be used. Sean assured us, that CryEngine 3 would render nearly twice as many fps as CE2 at comparable graphics quality.

The PC version will probably support multi-sampling AA as well as the so-called morphological anti-aliasing. When we asked if the textures would have a higher resolution, Sean shrugged - which can be interpreted as a "yes".

I think it's fair to say that the Cryengine 3 is the most powerful game engine to date, and when developers get to grips with it, it's going to produce some mindblowing games. Crytek ftw. :D

WhenCicadasCry

Old and yeah it is the most powerful game engine,

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WhenCicadasCry

I really love the point of CryEngine 3 would render nearly twice as many fps as CE2 at comparable graphics quality.ferret-gamer

Crysis 2 at Crysis 1 graphical quality at 60fps without needed a PC that'll put supercomputers to shame? Hell yeah. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]I really love the point of CryEngine 3 would render nearly twice as many fps as CE2 at comparable graphics quality.WhenCicadasCry

Crysis 2 at Crysis 1 graphical quality at 60fps without needed a PC that'll put supercomputers to shame? Hell yeah. :)

i hope they fix the AI and animation problems though. One of the reasons crysis AI didnt work as hyped was because their highly advanced AI and fancy Animation systems conflicted alot. Each system was amazing by itself but there were problems when put together. Crytek was supposedly going to try a solution like rockstars animation hierarchy in their new iteration but im not sure if that ever went through.
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
Sounds good :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-635601fd996cc
And why is it that only European devs push graphics these days? Crytek, GSC, and 4A games?
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chaplainDMK
And why is it that only European devs push graphics these days? Crytek, GSC, and 4A games?ocstew
US devs are too busy selling their souls...
WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WhenCicadasCry

And why is it that only European devs push graphics these days? Crytek, GSC, and 4A games?ocstew
There's still the Unreal Engine, despite the hate it gets, which is an incredibly powerful engine, and ofcourse iD Tech 5.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-635601fd996cc

[QUOTE="ocstew"]And why is it that only European devs push graphics these days? Crytek, GSC, and 4A games?WhenCicadasCry

There's still the Unreal Engine, despite the hate it gets, which is an incredibly powerful engine, and ofcourse iD Tech 5.

That engine doesn't have global illumination or other DX11 features like tessellation. And for some reason every game that gets pushed through it looks plastic or rubbery
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

What?

id software

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

[QUOTE="ocstew"]And why is it that only European devs push graphics these days? Crytek, GSC, and 4A games?ocstew

That engine doesn't have global illumination or other DX11 features like tessellation. And for some reason every game that gets pushed through it looks plastic or rubbery

Mirrors edge got global illumination working on Unreal 3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-635601fd996cc

[QUOTE="ocstew"]And why is it that only European devs push graphics these days? Crytek, GSC, and 4A games?waltefmoney

What?

? Is Rage meant to be impressive or pushing graphics? And their engine so far is meh, I haven't head anything about the features that make those 3's engines top of the pack

"Sorry, but it looks like Source at high resolution. I'd expect more from id, but to be honest the HL2E2 Source updates and CryEngine 2 push realism so far it's going to be difficult to develop anything tangibly better."

^^^^

That's exactly what I thought looking at those pictures, that iD 5 engine looks like it's composed of textures with shadow maps prebaked into them, textures without real time bump mapping but prebaked bump mapping, etc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-635601fd996cc

[QUOTE="ocstew"][QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"] There's still the Unreal Engine, despite the hate it gets, which is an incredibly powerful engine, and ofcourse iD Tech 5.

ferret-gamer

Wait didn't I say that it was pre-baked before, what did u say again i forgot lol

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WhenCicadasCry

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="ocstew"]And why is it that only European devs push graphics these days? Crytek, GSC, and 4A games?ocstew

What?

? Is Rage meant to be impressive or pushing graphics? And their engine so far is meh, I haven't head anything about the features that make those 3's engines top of the pack

Doom 4 will probably showcase the iD Tech 5 engine. :P

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

What?

For one, they pushed iPhone graphics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-635601fd996cc

[QUOTE="ocstew"]

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

What?

WhenCicadasCry

I doubt it, even their best bullshots are fail, they said they're working on a 6th engine, that might be the one
WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WhenCicadasCry

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

[QUOTE="ocstew"] ? Is Rage meant to be impressive or pushing graphics? And their engine so far is meh, I haven't head anything about the features that make those 3's engines top of the pack

ocstew

I doubt it, even their best bullshots are fail, they said they're working on a 6th engine, that might be the one

Doom 4 screens?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="ocstew"] That engine doesn't have global illumination or other DX11 features like tessellation. And for some reason every game that gets pushed through it looks plastic or rubberyocstew

Wait didn't I say that it was pre-baked before, what did u say again i forgot lol

It may be pre baked but it is still global illumination with all the bells and whistles like bouncing light and color, color bleeding, and colored transparency, radiosity normal maps, soft shadows

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

How many people are even using 8 core CPU's yet?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Vaasman
Well the people with the hex core phenoms will benefit. and they also may be referring to the i7's hyperthreading to make them 8 logical cores.
WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WhenCicadasCry

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

ferret-gamer

Well the people with the hex core phenoms will benefit. and they also may be referring to the i7's hyperthreading to make them 8 logical cores.

Oh nice, I just noticed you got a new CPU. How is it? :)

Xeagle_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Xeagle_z
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
In my eyes Dunia engine is best , which was founded in Cry engine 2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-635601fd996cc

[QUOTE="ocstew"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"] Mirrors edge got global illumination working on Unreal 3.ferret-gamer

It may be pre baked but it is still global illumination with all the bells and whistles like bouncing light and color, color bleeding, and colored transparency, radiosity normal maps, soft shadows

How can it do that if it's all prebaked? Solution: it doesn't http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminate_Labs IF you moved a light source in ME the textures would stay the same, it wouldn't move like it does in those 3 engines I listed b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-635601fd996cc
In my eyes Dunia engine is best , which was founded in Cry engine 2Xeagle_z
The Dunia Engine was made with the original CryEngine, it looks good but fails in comparison to CE2
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

That's great and all, but how about developing TimeSplitters 4 with the CryEngine 3 for consoles? I want me that game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-635601fd996cc

That's great and all, but how about developing TimeSplitters 4 with the CryEngine 3 for consoles? I want me that game.

Hexagon_777

It's a real possibility

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
8 core optimization eh? So does this mean it will be crap on a quad or extremely good on a 8 core? Honest to god, if they make the game with 8 cores in mind, we will end up with another pile of unplayable rubbish like Crysis 1.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-635601fd996cc

8 core optimization eh? So does this mean it will be crap on a quad or extremely good on a 8 core? Honest to god, if they make the game with 8 cores in mind, we will end up with another pile of unplayable rubbish like Crysis 1.C_Rule
WHaaa? Crysis only used one core.....and do you seriously believe that the game is only going to be optimized with 8 cores not 4 or 2? Use that brain of yours.

Oh and would you rather Crytek not have released the Very High settings? Because that's what you're complaining about, a 8400 GS can run this game at medium low settings for christ's sake

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
[QUOTE="ocstew"][QUOTE="C_Rule"]8 core optimization eh? So does this mean it will be crap on a quad or extremely good on a 8 core? Honest to god, if they make the game with 8 cores in mind, we will end up with another pile of unplayable rubbish like Crysis 1.

WHaaa? Crysis only used one core.....and do you seriously believe that the game is only going to be optimized with 8 cores not 4 or 2? Use that brain of yours.

What I'm trying to say is, I hope it doesn't *need* 8 cores to run it smoothly. I didn't however know Crysis one only used one core. This sounds good, we should get a nice looking game that runs well. :D
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

[QUOTE="ocstew"][QUOTE="C_Rule"]8 core optimization eh? So does this mean it will be crap on a quad or extremely good on a 8 core? Honest to god, if they make the game with 8 cores in mind, we will end up with another pile of unplayable rubbish like Crysis 1.C_Rule

What I'm trying to say is, I hope it doesn't *need* 8 cores to run it smoothly. I didn't however know Crysis one only used one core. This sounds good, we should get a nice looking game that runs well. :D

Well Crysis may have technically only used one core, but in practice the game of course didn't run well on mainsteam single core CPUs.

Most likely it will be dual core minimum, quad core recommended. It would certainly be odd to show the game off on a GTX 260 but require i7s for proper performance.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

WhenCicadasCry

wait, so does this mean we can play Crysis 2 on a monitor thats not 120Hz?

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chaplainDMK

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

Silenthps

Interesting...

erglesmergle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 erglesmergle
Member since 2009 • 1769 Posts

Whats funny is the last poster. "Teh power of teh CELL processorz".

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WhenCicadasCry

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

Silenthps

"Thus, on the one hand there is nearly no performance drop and on the other hand stereoscopic 3D might be possible on any display" Sounds like it. :o Crytek spoil us too much. :D

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WhenCicadasCry

8 core optimization eh? So does this mean it will be crap on a quad or extremely good on a 8 core? Honest to god, if they make the game with 8 cores in mind, we will end up with another pile of unplayable rubbish like Crysis 1.C_Rule
Um what? You could run Crysis with a 3ghz Pentium 4. The engine was decently optimized, but people seem to think they can get all the eye candy at 1080p using a 8800GT and a low end dual core. The game was designed with future hardware in mind. :P

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Silenthps

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

WhenCicadasCry

"Thus, on the one hand there is nearly no performance drop and on the other hand stereoscopic 3D might be possible on any display" Sounds like it. :o Crytek spoil us too much. :D

welp this certainly makes me more content in the fact that I didn't take advantage of this deal :)

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WhenCicadasCry

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]

Silenthps

welp this certainly makes me more content in the fact that I didn't take advantage of this deal :)

I've read about that monitor. It has large support for 3D. Crysis 1 is possible with it, and it's suppose to look impressive :P But yeah, it'll be nice to try Crysis 2 in 3D without needing to fork out on extra hardware. I'm guessing we'll need some sort of special glasses? I think I still have my 3D glasses from when I went to see Avatar. 8)

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="ocstew"][QUOTE="C_Rule"]8 core optimization eh? So does this mean it will be crap on a quad or extremely good on a 8 core? Honest to god, if they make the game with 8 cores in mind, we will end up with another pile of unplayable rubbish like Crysis 1.

Look at it this way, Crysis 2 is also on consoles, so I doubt it'll be so grand it'll be impossible to run on the highest settings with the best hardware.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

This engine sounds amazing! 8 cores?

Now I wonder how the PC version looks now.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

8 cores? do those even exist?

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Silenthps

TheShadowLord07
16 cores exist actually
ExESGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ExESGO
Member since 2010 • 1895 Posts
[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

Silenthps
16 cores exist actually

Yeah, but the US Army/big evil companies like Google or Apple/etc. has those. For Hexa cores.. *points at AMD and Intel* Yep.
-ScorpionKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 -ScorpionKing
Member since 2008 • 433 Posts

So with this maybe there wll be no Crysis 2 vs KZ 2/ KZ 3/ Uncharted 2 graphic anymore

lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts
I think I'm more excited about 3D being available on any screen, not just 120hz one's! :P
AiurProtoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AiurProtoss
Member since 2010 • 1080 Posts
what happened to hermits saying "omg teh consoles are detroying our gamzorz!!" yeah that was a load, a big steamy one from a bull. Happy now people?
lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts
what happened to hermits saying "omg teh consoles are detroying our gamzorz!!" yeah that was a load, a big steamy one from a bull. Happy now people?AiurProtoss
I'll only be happy if Crysis 2 is on par with Crysis 1. :P
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
what happened to hermits saying "omg teh consoles are detroying our gamzorz!!" yeah that was a load, a big steamy one from a bull. Happy now people?AiurProtoss
Not all hermits do that. I was happy crysis 2 went multiplat. I'm happy when any games goes mutiplat. Exclusives only hurt gamers.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
DX 11, 3D, 8 Cores? Man, times like this I wish I had a gaming rig.