Battlefield 3 primarily being developed for DX11, no XP support :)

• 143 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Instashot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Instashot
Member since 2010 • 665 Posts

Dice on twitter said: Frostbite 2 is primarily developed for DX11. XP & DX9 is _not_ supported, 64-bit OS is recommended. Lots of time to upgrade if you havent!

http://twitter.com/repi/status/20028015661

Maybe they are making 2 versions of BF3 afterall? Like a Modern Combat 3 for consoles and BF3 for the PC.

Finally a game built ground up for DX11!!, now we can see the true power of it.

Its nice to see DICE throwing out support of that soon to be 11 year old OS (XP) in favor of progression (DX11) :D

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Luckily I have Windows 7, and i'll have hopefully upgraded by then.

More people need to move on from XP :(

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

This is awesome news, I will upgrade to that.

"Like a Modern Combat 3 for consoles and BF3 for the PC"

Yes, please be like that so I can get the PC version.=3

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Heh, one big difference between PC gamers and console gamers is that PC gamers are happy to hear when older things aren't supported.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts
good. Its time to move forward.
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

I knew it was a good idea to get the 5770.

I'm hoping this is good. I love hearing about devs providing PC gamers with what they should get.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

Heh. pne big difference between PC gamers and console gamers is that PC gamers are happy to hear when older things aren't supported.

SakusEnvoy
:P I noticed that, but to be fair it gives the platform progression I guess. I don't think this affects the console version though. Just Cause 2 was DX10 only, and that was still the same game on all platforms - despite the lack of DX10 support. Although the 360 has support for features of DX10.
svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

So this apparently offsets the zero compatibility that BF2 has for Windows 7

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

After seeing the piss poor performance of BC2 in DX11, I dunno if this is such a good idea. They should put more focus on DX10 if anything as that at least is more well adopted.

BF3 is one of those games, many PC gamers were gonna upgrade for, but I dunno how many gonna get DX11 cards for it. I myself still have XP and 2GBs of ram so I have to spend some mulah.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Good. The best way to get good performance is to drop the legacy DX9 baggage.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
People need to get on the Windows 7 already.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

This is very good news :D.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Will run flawlessly in XP, exactly in the same way that Starcraft II runs in my XP SP2 just after telling me that SP3 was required in the installation -I just ignored the warning-.

I have 2 rigs, one with XP, q6600, 4 GB and a GTX 275 and the other with W7 Ultimate 64, i920, 6GB and a HD 5870, and I'm still trying to figure if W7 has any advantage. My text editor, multimedia player, image editor, Fraps and almost all the games and applications runs the same.

So I'll wait BF3 to play it in XP, if is possible, but I guess that they will probably lost sales due their decision, as Remady with Alan Wake.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Woah. A native DX 11 game? Just like BF2 being native DX9 back in the day...

Wow this is impressive. Thankfully I have a DX 11 card, but I feel that it wont be until the 3rd generation will we beable to max this game out no problem...

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

I saw this from someone on the Battlefield 3 Gamefaq/Gamespot forums a few days ago.
Good, good news :D
If they really are making two versions, I'm going to have to finally upgrade my graphics card.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Can they make an engine that makes everything look nice without throwing in 700 different particle and lighting effects this time please.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Excellent. My 480 is quivering with anticipation. :D

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Will run flawlessly in XP, exactly in the same way that Starcraft II runs in my XP SP2 just after telling me that SP3 was required in the installation -I just ignored the warning-.

I have 2 rigs, one with XP, q6600, 4 GB and a GTX 275 and the other with W7 Ultimate 64, i920, 6GB and a HD 5870, and I'm still trying to figure if W7 has any advantage. My text editor, multimedia player, image editor, Fraps and almost all the games and applications runs the same.

So I'll wait BF3 to play it in XP, if is possible, but I guess that they will probably lost sales due their decision, as Remady with Alan Wake.

Ondoval

Umm... if it is using the DX 11 API and you don't have DX 11 hardware or software, you aren't playing it.

There is a HUGE difference between a small system pack and an entire graphical library. You won't be running DX 11 on a Windows XP machine.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#20 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

lundy86_4

Helll, no I will not be giving M$ any of my hard earned money for a version of windows vista (crap os) with a slightly faster shell... Screw that... I love my XP.. and I don't own a dx11 card anyway.. still sporting a 9800gt .... M$ fulled us with that vista crap adn I had to reformat to XP as it crashed every single game i ran on vista due to how it used my ram.

You guys can go praise ms os all you want i will stick with my xp version and linux until a RPG or STrategy game requires it. I could care less about multiplayer shooters anymore... way to much other things in life to care about.... (if a new baldur's gate, Elder Scrolls or Diablo3 come out requiring it that is what it will take for me to upgrade to windows 7... and at the rate of blizzard putting d3 out , Bethesda no caring about its elder scrolls fans, and bioware being consolites...its not happening anytime soon. )

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ravensmash

[QUOTE="Ondoval"]

Wasdie

Umm... if it is using the DX 11 API and you don't have DX 11 hardware or software, you aren't playing it.

There is a HUGE difference between a small system pack and an entire graphical library. You won't be running DX 11 on a Windows XP machine.

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but is the DX11 only requirement kind of like Just Cause 2's DX10 ? And would it be possible for the consoles to have the 'same' game (despite obvious differences). I can't see Dice making two versions, but obviously if the tech requires them too, they'll have to.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mystic-G

Woah. A native DX 11 game? Just like BF2 being native DX9 back in the day...

Wow this is impressive. Thankfully I have a DX 11 card, but I feel that it wont be until the 3rd generation will we beable to max this game out no problem...

Wasdie
Well it's not native to DX11. In his feed he also mentions it'll run on Vista and DX10. I think making it DX11 native would be a massive mistake and would be shooting themselves in the foot.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

lundy86_4
Guilty as charged:D But I'll be getting a laptop with Win 7 later this Nov.
RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

This is quite bothering to me. I use XP and I dont feel like spending 200 dollars on a new OS. I have been able to play all my games on the OS so far and if I am being denied that then I might as well skip. I just ordered a Radeon 5770 but that doesnt exactly mean I am upgrading to a new OS anytime soon. :x

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#25 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts
People need to get on the Windows 7 already.siLVURcross
Why should i give M$ $200 for an upgraded vista shell, no thanks and no sale.. .ms isn't getting any of my money. I refuse to upgrade unless either one of these gaems require it... Diablo 3, Elder scrolls 5, Civ 5, stalker 2, Gal civ 3, Homm6, or Baldurs' gate 3 requires it....in other words I am not upgrading for any shooter...tired of that genre...
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mystic-G
[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]People need to get on the Windows 7 already.Midnightshade29
Why should i give M$ $200 for an upgraded vista shell, no thanks and no sale.. .ms isn't getting any of my money. I refuse to upgrade unless either one of these gaems require it... Diablo 3, Elder scrolls 5, Civ 5, stalker 2, Gal civ 3, Homm6, or Baldurs' gate 3 requires it....in other words I am not upgrading for any shooter...tired of that genre...

It's $100 actually and BF3 will run on Vista & DX10.
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
People need to get on the Windows 7 already.siLVURcross
word, son. xp is pretty outdated by now and the only flaw about windows 7 is its more ram hungry. im assuming thats the only reason why many people havent jumped on it yet, besides the price of course.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
I hope my 5770 will be able to handle this on more than medium settings..Though i doubt it. Remember when EA made statements that BF3 will blow our minds? Guess it's true.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I ditched XP at the start of this year. Best move I've made.

93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
Lucky I have windows 7. Now all I need is a good graphics card. Although if BF3 turns out like BFBC2, then I`ll end up getting it on the 360
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]People need to get on the Windows 7 already.Rahnyc4
word, son. xp is pretty outdated by now and the only flaw about windows 7 is its more ram hungry. im assuming thats the only reason why many people havent jumped on it yet, besides the price of course.

I think people think it will be like vista, windows 7 is awesome

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
I'm all set then. :)
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mystic-G

I think the funny thing about all this is the people that stuck with the BF2 mods typically stuck with XP due to compatibility issues.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Teuf_

DX11 doesn't require DX11 hardware. It has a concept called feature levels that lets you target older/less-capable hardware but using the same API. So for instance you can use DX11 on DX10 hardware, but you can't use tessellation or other new features (however you can use the multithreading support, which is cool).

DX11 does require Vista or above, since it's built on top of the new display driver system. So there's no way you'll be seeing it run in XP, no matter what GPU you have.

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

so should I hope for a really BF3, I still think its gonna be a BC3, but time to save up for a new card :)

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ravensmash

DX11 doesn't require DX11 hardware. It has a concept called feature levels that lets you target older/less-capable hardware but using the same API. So for instance you can use DX11 on DX10 hardware, but you can't use tessellation or other new features (however you can use the multithreading support, which is cool).

DX11 does require Vista or above, since it's built on top of the new display driver system. So there's no way you'll be seeing it run in XP, no matter what GPU you have.

Teufelhuhn

That cleared it up a bit, thanks. So this really doesn't have an impact on the console version?

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

Ravensmash

That cleared it up a bit, thanks. So this really doesn't have an impact on the console version?

It's not actually confirmed that there will be a console version. With these news, i hope it's PC only, since that's the only way to do a proper BF game.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

Ravensmash

Hopefully you will get getting BF3:MC and leaving the full blown BF3 for us PC lot.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ravensmash

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"]

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

GeneralShowzer

It's not actually confirmed that there will be a console version. With these news, i hope it's PC only, since that's the only way to do a proper BF game.

I really think it will though. http://enterbf3.com/ This isn't an official site, but if you go down to the bit about BF3 beta, it apparently states that you need a 360 HDD for it.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Teuf_

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

Ravensmash

I'm sure the console versions will be built to target the features of that specific hardware, which don't directly correlate with DirectX versions. What it does mean is that they'll be in a better position to make the best use of latest and greatest PC hardware.

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]People need to get on the Windows 7 already.Rahnyc4

I upgraded because I built a new machine, but there is no huge reason to upgrade from XP. XP is solid.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Gotta agree with most people here. This is good news. Assuming, of course, that they do a good job optimizing and implementing DX 11 features. If they do, this has the potential to look incredible for a PC game which already features better looking games than the consoles.

I'm all for this. It's time to upgrade people. XP is a decade old OS.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

what.. xp 4 life.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

This is going to be the new crysis. A true DX11 game and it happens to be BF3? PCs shall kneel before it.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I should have a new pc by the end of the year.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

svetzenlether
I run BF2 just fine on my 7 Ultimate.
svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

[QUOTE="svetzenlether"]

tagyhag

I run BF2 just fine on my 7 Ultimate.

How??? All I get when I try to run it is a black screen for 5 seconds and then I get thrown back to the desktop!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Helll, no I will not be giving M$ any of my hard earned money for a version of windows vista (crap os) with a slightly faster shell... Screw that... I love my XP.. and I don't own a dx11 card anyway.. still sporting a 9800gt .... M$ fulled us with that vista crap adn I had to reformat to XP as it crashed every single game i ran on vista due to how it used my ram.

You guys can go praise ms os all you want i will stick with my xp version and linux until a RPG or STrategy game requires it. I could care less about multiplayer shooters anymore... way to much other things in life to care about.... (if a new baldur's gate, Elder Scrolls or Diablo3 come out requiring it that is what it will take for me to upgrade to windows 7... and at the rate of blizzard putting d3 out , Bethesda no caring about its elder scrolls fans, and bioware being consolites...its not happening anytime soon. )

Midnightshade29

We need progression with people purchasing higher-end OS' in order to push something like DX11. I have 7 running as fast, if not a little faster than my old XP comp (which died not long ago) and it'ss fantastic. The GUI is also much friendlier (IMO).

XP was great, but it's holding things back, game development being one, due to it being solely DX9 and non-compatible with DX10/11.

I hate MS OS' but out of necessity and ease, I use them. I have no want, nor need to boot into linux, and I don't buy Macs.

Guilty as charged:D But I'll be getting a laptop with Win 7 later this Nov.Rockman999

I completely understand why people don't, and I wouldn't blame them in the case of Vista (though I had no issues with it personally), but 7 is great.

Teufelhuhn

Thanks for putting that so well. I knew it was capable of something like that, but you explained it rather nicely.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Sweet. Just like Crysis, this is gonna make A LOT of PC gamers upgrade to Windows 7 and a DX11 card.