This topic is locked from further discussion.

IvanKavinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 IvanKavinski
Member since 2006 • 274 Posts

I understand how ads in games can be very annoying/distracting.

I find it a bit ironic that Gamespot marks down games for ads when there are almost no pages here that don't have some form of ad on them.

Their review summary of themselves would be something like, "Gamespot is an informative site, packed with great info, however the constant ads distract from the overall experience."

Heh heh. Just saying...

msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts
[size=11]Websites and video games are two entirely different mediums and generally have different standards when it comes to advertisements. Anyway, if you don't want advertisements, you can upgrade to Total Access. [/size]
Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts
[QUOTE="msudude211"][size=11]Websites and video games are two entirely different mediums and generally have different standards when it comes to advertisements. Anyway, if you don't want advertisements, you can upgrade to Total Access. [/size]

That is the long and short of it. I can think of no major entertainment website off the top of my head that does not have ads. It is how websites make money, and there is a reasonable expectation that when you visit one, you will see advertisements. Ads scattered all over your virtual world are not a standard, however. Games that attempt to re-create an ad-heavy experience, such as a NASCAR or Madden game, will expectedly have ads. A shooter that costs you real money, plastered with billboards for real-life products, is not so reasonable. Our job is to point out features in games that may annoy you and distract you. There is absolutely no irony in doing so.