Is Alienware overpriced/overrated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MigsPlusEight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MigsPlusEight
Member since 2010 • 674 Posts

My birthday's coming and I will give myself a present. Should I give myself an Alienware? I have a budget, yes.

Now the real question's this. Is Alienware overpriced/overrated? Or if so, can you recommend me some Gaming PC companies that's better and that's cheaper than Alienware? Uhmm guys please don't tell me to "Build your own PC" thanks!

[spoiler] sorry for my bad english :cry: [/spoiler]

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

Alienware is overpriced and overrated. It will cost you almost double the money than if you built your own PC. Building your own PC is the cheapest way to do it but since you obviously do not want to do that I would look for pre-built PCs on newegg.com that is if you live in the U.S. or Canada...

davidkamayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 davidkamayor
Member since 2008 • 1642 Posts

if you hunt around dell for deals you can get them cheap,

but they suck they usually come damaged in shipping and then something in them dies

build your own or pay frys or microcenter to do it for you

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts

Since your dead set on buying a pc instead of building one.. I'd go with http://doghousesystems.com/ You can find cheaper gaming pc's on ibuypower.com or somewhere else.. but I here they have terrific customer service and they stress test systems before they're shipped. If I were to buy a pre-built one I would totally buy one from here.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

They are not a bad brand. I own the older m15x and its been a great laptop, also their tech service isn't as bad as some say. My hinges broke, I called them up spent less than 20 minutes on the phone and they are shipping me a box to mail my laptop in, really fast and quite the opposite of what others complain about. The newer laptops are nice, which aluminum casings to boot and are right in the same pricing leage as Sager notebooks. Asus laptops though run about 1000 bucks cheaper for the same components and also get very good ratings, but they do have differences and in screen quality goes to alienware as most reviewers are usually pretty impressed with the quality of the LCD panels. So for a laptop I would say go for it.

Now if you were looking for a desktop, then pretty much your are paying for a very pretty case and the warrenties they offer. Desktop wise they can be pretty overpriced depending on the options you choose. They can cost almost double of building your own, so I can't say I would reccamend them over a DIY machine.

Alienware usually uses good parts as in Silverstone Powersupplies, Patriot memory, EVGA video cards, Foxconn motherboards and such so it's not like they are bad or anything just pricey.

So all in all if you want a laptop then I say go for it, if you want a desktop then only if you feel like burning some cash.

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
First, you have to tell us your budget?
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
I've heard that they are good PCs, but they really are overpriced. If you are working with a budget, it really is best for you to build your PC yourself. If you want an analogy, Alienware PCs are to custom built gaming rigs as iMacs are to basic pre-built Windows machines.
asap531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 asap531
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I've been thinking about the same question to tell you the truth. It's really hard to stick to a budget when you're buying Alienware. Also, as I am stuck in Australia (G'day lol) there aren't really many companies that sell decent gaming rigs. The only reason I would get Alienware is if I wanted peace of mind about the warranty. And I would still buy their cheapest model, desktop or laptop. If you're in the US, there are some really good companies that sell gaming computers like digitalstormonline.
UltraredM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 UltraredM
Member since 2008 • 79 Posts

Buy your own parts, make sure they are compatible (don't get more than a single video card if your motherboard isn't compatible with multiple cards), then pay a local electronics store to put it together for you IF you don't want to build it yourself. If you do this instead of buying a custom Alienware, you'll probably save 50%. If you look somewhere else online for custom-built PCs you'll still probably save money. Me and two of my friends all payed around 1300$ for our gaming rigs (they purchased from Alienware), and mine performs much better than theirs. I purchased from iBuyPower, but I still recommend buying the parts separately.

In all seriousness, you can compare buying Alienware PCs to buying brand-name clothing. You'll get the same as someone else at a significantly higher price.

Yes, I'm aware this topic has been resolved long ago, but I'd still like to give my advice to any passers-by.

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

If you want to play games on a pc, build your own. There is no way around this. Soon enough you'll learn that you should have built your own but this will be after throwing $1000+ at a sub par rig from a manufacturer. It's easy to do it. Newegg has some great guides up on youtube on how to build your own pc, from part selection to overclocking.

fishing666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 fishing666
Member since 2004 • 2113 Posts
some of the high end dell machines are better than the alienware builds
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
Their desktops are absolute garbage but their laptops are honestly not that bad for the price.
JonChaoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#14 JonChaoZ
Member since 2009 • 297 Posts

Their desktops are absolute garbage but their laptops are honestly not that bad for the price. gmaster456

Agreed, even though I have a few Dell desktops myself I wouldn't recommend them to gamers. If you're going for a desktop it really pays off to build one.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Year old thread...
Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

Year old thread...C_Rule

Wow, I didn't even notice. :P

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Year old thread...Former_Slacker

Wow, I didn't even notice. :P

Neither did I
django131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 django131
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
New research has just been done on this topic: http://evolvepc.blogspot.com/2012/12/are-alienware-products-overpriced.html The results will surprise the hell out of you!
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts
some of the high end dell machines are better than the alienware buildsfishing666
lol, dell owns alienware.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Tanks for bumping a 2 years old topic
quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

Tanks for bumping a 2 years old topicMonsieurX

lol 2x necrobumping.

Gorf_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gorf_basic
Member since 2002 • 543 Posts

And yet this question will be asked again and again.

Like the link though. My brother actually got an Alienware. I think it has more to do with being a gamer, but no longer interested in dealing with which parts to get and putting it all together. That and having money while at the same time still loving videogames.

I'm going to upgrade soon and I found out that having a SSD/HD combo isn't nearly as easy as I thought it would be.

metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts
I'm going to upgrade soon and I found out that having a SSD/HD combo isn't nearly as easy as I thought it would be.Gorf_basic
yeah it is
Gorf_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gorf_basic
Are you agreeing that it's not as easy as one would think or pointing out that it is in fact quite easy.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
Are you agreeing that it's not as easy as one would think or pointing out that it is in fact quite easy.Gorf_basic
How is it not easy?
Gorf_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gorf_basic

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Is the above just going to make things more complicated than necessary?

I had hoped it was going to be easy, but after reading the above (partially) it seemed like not as straightforward as I thought. Yet, I had a hunch that Windows 7 would make things as simple as possible considering how they have simple plug and play, etc. Just install Windows 7 on the SSD and any programs that you use frequently (including games with long loading times), and use the HDD for storage or older games and software that are not hardware intensive.

Gorf_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gorf_basic

I found the above link through this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/oezr7/hey_rbuildapc_lets_talk_ssds/?sort=top

Is buildapc on Reddit a good source for info? Seems like it to me, but you never know.

metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Is the above just going to make things more complicated than necessary?

I had hoped it was going to be easy, but after reading the above (partially) it seemed like not as straightforward as I thought. Yet, I had a hunch that Windows 7 would make things as simple as possible considering how they have simple plug and play, etc. Just install Windows 7 on the SSD and any programs that you use frequently (including games with long loading times), and use the HDD for storage or older games and software that are not hardware intensive.

Gorf_basic
from your very own link: "A quick word on SSDs: SSDs do NOT require the confusing and intense setup that a lot of people seem to suggest. The current day SSDs are much more reliable and literally all that is necessary is to change the SATA mode to AHCI or RAID in the BIOS/UEFI, install, and you are good to go."
taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 taylor888
Member since 2005 • 2232 Posts
If you want a gaming laptop, I would probably get an Alienware as they are somewhat fair priced. But Alienware's desktops are overpriced to the nines.