SystemWars Monthly 2.0 - May 2010 Edition (Massive 56k Warning)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

#1 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Greetings SystemWars, we are one day late it appears from my initial launch date (OMG THE HORROR!) and I do apologize for that since it is my fault that it's fashionably late. But you're all grown ups, well... some of you are (lol jk :P), so you can bear with me!

Once again, special mention goes out to The_Game21x for hosting the rather sizable pdf!

PDF:

http://www.themindofgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/SWM2.0MayIssue.pdf

*hosted courtesy of The Mind of Game.com

Also: congratulations to LegendofNerd and David_lck for becoming iMods! Sorry you were missed congratulations to -DarthMaul- as well.

Part 1

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7303/mythvalve2.jpg

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Part Two for your Viewing Pleasure. :D

Thank you! Hope you enjoyed it all.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

SWM 2.0 Posting Guidelines

Anyone responding to this discussion thread about the latest SWM 2.0 edition will be consistent with the content therein.

Feedback, applauds, tomato throwing, questions about content displayed in this edition is always up for discussion. Anything outside the discussion of the latest SWM edition will be removed for being Off-Topic at GameSpot staff and site moderators' discretion. Depending on the nature of the content and continued off-topic abuse over time, the user may have the content deleted without a mark or the content might receive a warning or heavy penalty. To avoid having your posts removed or having a moderation. please Keep your content about the articles. We have numerous other topics in the System Wars forum for you all to mingle about other topics, so please do this elsewhere, and not in this thread.

Thanks for your understanding, and happy posting on-topic!

----

DO NOT QUOTE ANY OF THE PICTURES IN THE TWO ABOVE ORIGINAL POSTS.

Just tell us what page you're talking about if you really need too, no need to further bog down anyone's connection.

These words come straight from the wise and powerful JodyR! Respect them! -mac

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#4 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Don your reading glasses, SW. This one's doozie.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Just want to be PERFECTLY clear that I was not ripping on the Playstation 3 version of modnation. i got my hands on it a day before the cutoff date and am loving every minute. as for the PSP version, well...
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

I would be the first to respond and it regarding the articles. Why I am seeing "****" on the articles?

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Haha jodyr said this is like a pve server! More like a pvp server!!!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
The transition between the grindhouse double review, and SMG2 is kind of wierd, but yeah Stevo is a beast.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

It wouldn't be SWM without a couple of articles featuring Halo. I have this Deja vu feeling, like I read this a month ago.

Alan Wake's foilage didn't get a honourable mention as this month's hottest topics?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jg4xchamp

It wouldn't be SWM without a couple of articles featuring Halo. I have this Deja vu feeling, like I read this a month ago.

Alan Wake's foilage didn't get a honourable mention as this month's hottest topics?

Gxgear
Yeah it's been a bad trend lately :lol: But eh the beta was this month, so that one was getting an article.
Masterx1220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Masterx1220
Member since 2005 • 2426 Posts

ok i'll be honest i want to be on the front page so ill read the rest later

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Looks great! (Graphically, since I have not gotten a chance read it)

I hope my suggestion made it into the magazine :)

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
I really liked the PC article and Jody`s interview. Overall you guys did a great job. :)
david_lck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 david_lck
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Great issue, I had a ton of fun reading the interview of Jody. The review of Monster Hunter Tri was also top-notch as every facet of the game was covered so thoroughly. It really is a great game.

Before I forget, congrats LegendofNerd on becoming an iMod. :)

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jg4xchamp

Great issue, I had a ton of fun reading the interview of Jody. The review of Monster Hunter Tri was also top-notch as every facet of the game was covered so thoroughly. It really is a great game.

david_lck
you're a mod now :shock: Ah damn you joined the "going to get jg4xchamp banned committee" :(
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#16 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

Looks like a superb issue guys. I'll read it later.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I liked the MH Tri review, the interview with Jody and the histories of Halo, Final Fantasy and Mario. Overall great job guys. :)

As for the Fatal Frame review, I wish the game would be released outside of Japan. :(

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Good Halo, Good issue.

david_lck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 david_lck
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

you're a mod now :shock: Ah damn you joined the "going to get jg4xchamp banned committee" :(jg4xchamp
Heh, yeah I am initiate mod now. :P Nonsense, you're one of my favorite posters on GS. :) It would be a shame if you did get banned Champ.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] you're a mod now :shock: Ah damn you joined the "going to get jg4xchamp banned committee" :(david_lck

Heh, yeah I am initiate mod now. :P Nonsense, you're one of my favorite posters on GS. :) It would be a shame if you did get banned Champ.

Reading that actually felt so good :cry:

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#21 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts

Gxgear
Heh, Halo has been rather popular in SWM lately. I doubt there will be an article on Halo next issue but judging our history, who knows :P. Also, fantastic issue guys, good work.
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fabz_95

david_lck
Aww. Well PSN, Animal and I did try (I tried the hardest :P ).
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fabz_95

I liked the MH Tri review, the interview with Jody and the histories of Halo, Final Fantasy and Mario. Overall great job guys. :)

As for the Fatal Frame review, I wish the game would be released outside of Japan. :(

Seabas989
Both articles that I was involved in? 8).
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

The quality of these things has increased a lot since the last one I read :shock:

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 fabz_95
In addition, congratulations to david_ick and LegendOfNerd on becoming iMods, you both thoroughly deserve it.
LegendofNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 LegendofNerd
Member since 2007 • 2140 Posts

Excellent issue as always everyone. I expect the next issue to be even better.

david_lck

In addition, congratulations to david_ick and LegendOfNerd on becoming iMods, you both thoroughly deserve it.fabz_95

Awww, thanks guys. You're going to make me blush.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Another outstanding Monthly issue, I especially enjoyed the Final Fantasy Retrospect given that I only play a handful of the series and reading about the rest was informative for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#28 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Congrats guys, quite possibly the best issue yet!
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Well, it looks like I should start typing a community article right now for the next issue then!

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts
Don your reading glasses, SW. This one's doozie. musicalmac
What is this? Been here like 6 years and i have no idea where this came from lol :P
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Just finished. Amazing as always stevo! Great work everyone. :)
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

The only page that won't load is the first page of my Jody interview. That's the only page that won't load. xD

Congrats to Nerd, David, and DarthMaul for becoming iMods. :)

For Stevo: That's Page 13.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

OK, now I'm sensing some tampering in the ME2 vs DAO article. I demand DarkLink be held for interrogation :P

But really, a solid comparison for the most part. I agree the planet scanning was tedium ad nauseum, but really just a different form of tedium that's invariably found in most RPGs. But when when it comes to the side quests, were you looking at just the N7 side quests, the ones you find scanning planets? What about the hub world side missions, and even the Loyalty missions would be categorized side quests since they are strictly optional.

But I could see how you might have cIassed the Loyalty missions as extensions of the main recruitment missions. Thing being, those in particular added a great deal to the story in revealing so much of your party. Then the N7 missions were mostly just some extra opportunities for more combat play, incurring some extra XP and creds, which is what a lot of side quests do in most RPGs.

Then there's the story side quests. This I mean the ones you get from hub worlds. Take Illium for example. Helping Liara adds come variety to the game experience, including some intel gathering and recon into the mix from just combat. It adds a context to the hacking game mechanic for plot developments and not just a means of earning credits. The other help quests (negotiate a a contract revision, and a slave trade, etc...) are also some extra variety in contextual objectives so its not just all about "kill every bad buy, earn money". While Dr Chakwas mission is essentially a fetch quest, completing it does reward you with a very touching momnet as the two of you drink and reminisce on old times, making ME1 references that really tie in the continuity, and basically just being a moment of character's sharing and connecting as people.

I really don't find the side quests in ME2 to be as bad as you make them out to be DarkLink.

---

Also congratulations to DavidMod, LegendOfMod, and DarthMod as the newest stormtroo.... errrr ahhhh, peacekeepers on SW :D:D

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] you're a mod now :shock: Ah damn you joined the "going to get jg4xchamp banned committee" :(david_lck

No David, STRIKE champ down with all your hatred, and your journey to the Dark Side will be complete :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts
Once again, great issue. But fabz, I thought you guys were going to use my quote about Alan Wake? Of course I can understand if you had to leave it out since it didn't look like you were taking quotes for that review anyway.
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fabz_95
Once again, great issue. But fabz, I thought you guys were going to use my quote about Alan Wake? Of course I can understand if you had to leave it out since it didn't look like you were taking quotes for that review anyway.SpiritOfFire117
Duude! I told you to ask Animal-Mother about it since he reviewed the game :P. I posted it in the Discussion thread but Animal must have not read it. Sorry :(.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#36 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Awesome issue guys and Stevo, again, excellent rendering. It looks amazingly professional. :D

kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 kansasdude2009
Member since 2006 • 11802 Posts

lol, I found a few more errors in my Galaxy 2 review. I shouldn't have written so much! XD

Great issue guys! Stevo, you did a fantastic job with this one.

Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts

[QUOTE="SpiritOfFire117"]Once again, great issue. But fabz, I thought you guys were going to use my quote about Alan Wake? Of course I can understand if you had to leave it out since it didn't look like you were taking quotes for that review anyway.fabz_95
Duude! I told you to ask Animal-Mother about it since he reviewed the game :P. I posted it in the Discussion thread but Animal must have not read it. Sorry :(.

I sent Animala PM a while back. He must not had read that either. No worries though.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

Good Halo, Good issue.

SolidTy
Please before everyone gets upset by how much Halo is used read the articles. Example last month the reason Halo was in an article was part of my no company is overhyped. The article was about Bungie has a whole and not just Halo, just like this month my article is about Valve. This month had the review of the Halo Beta. It would not be an issue if we did not speak about one of the biggest impacts on System wars and gaming has a whole for the month. More than likely Halo is going to be in the month of June. Has E3 hits we are going to be talking about the games. One of which is Halo. Halo and Bungie has been in the news a lot as of late. We don't plan out our issues months in advance. It what ever people write and they want to submit that gets published in the mag. So guys chill on the Halo hate. There is no agenda to push Halo on to anyone here.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#40 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

I'd just like to point that IB forgot Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins :evil:

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
it's official SWM >>> most other gaming magazines these days. One complaint I have is that you left out Super mario land 2 in the mario retrospective. That game has definitely aged alot better than the first.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#42 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26093 Posts
I've said this before, and I will say it again. If the print industry wasn't dead, this would have been printed, and competed with EGM, and won.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

OK, now I'm sensing some tampering in the ME2 vs DAO article. I demand DarkLink be held for interrogation :P

But really, a solid comparison for the most part. I agree the planet scanning was tedium ad nauseum, but really just a different form of tedium that's invariably found in most RPGs. But when when it comes to the side quests, were you looking at just the N7 side quests, the ones you find scanning planets? What about the hub world side missions, and even the Loyalty missions would be categorized side quests since they are strictly optional.

But I could see how you might have cIassed the Loyalty missions as extensions of the main recruitment missions. Thing being, those in particular added a great deal to the story in revealing so much of your party. Then the N7 missions were mostly just some extra opportunities for more combat play, incurring some extra XP and creds, which is what a lot of side quests do in most RPGs.

Then there's the story side quests. This I mean the ones you get from hub worlds. Take Illium for example. Helping Liara adds come variety to the game experience, including some intel gathering and recon into the mix from just combat. It adds a context to the hacking game mechanic for plot developments and not just a means of earning credits. The other help quests (negotiate a a contract revision, and a slave trade, etc...) are also some extra variety in contextual objectives so its not just all about "kill every bad buy, earn money". While Dr Chakwas mission is essentially a fetch quest, completing it does reward you with a very touching momnet as the two of you drink and reminisce on old times, making ME1 references that really tie in the continuity, and basically just being a moment of character's sharing and connecting as people.

I really don't find the side quests in ME2 to be as bad as you make them out to be DarkLink.AdobeArtist

Well, Adobe, let me clarify my position a little bit: I believe you are required to do two of the loyalty missions to complete the game, at minimum. Normally, I would count the rest as a optional sidequests, but you are allowed to choose any two. With that in mind I felt you would have to include all of them as a part of the main quest, since there's no way to determine which ones the player would choose to do. As for the side missions on the planets, save for Liara and Chakwas, I didn't really find them to be memorable experiences. If you asked me to tell you what most of them were, I'd draw a blank. However, I found the N7 assignments to be boring and badly designed in the extreme, so much so that I stopped playing the game for two days because I didn't want to do them, and that was all i had left before the final mission. So, the cons outweigh the pros on that one.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Keep them coming! I Love these!

jessmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 jessmaster13
Member since 2009 • 3170 Posts

Great job. There are a few mistakes, but it's an excellent issue overall.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Great job. There are a few mistakes, but it's an excellent issue overall.

jessmaster13
Mistakes are forgivable when people from different states and countries collaborate over a forum to create THAT. I don't think they're even worth a mention.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
The transition between the grindhouse double review, and SMG2 is kind of wierd, but yeah Stevo is a beast. jg4xchamp
I'm aware it was odd, but I had to fill up the page, and considering the double review didn't take up two full pages (You guys write too much at times >: /) -- I had to work with it, and besides, at that point in time, I wasn't fully caring about the transitioning since I just wanted to get the damn thing done!
Avatar image for batman_is_aweso
batman_is_aweso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 batman_is_aweso
Member since 2009 • 2762 Posts

Great issue

like the overated blog

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Gxgear
There wasn't a Halo article last month, I'm not sure what would cause you to get that feeling.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
I shouldn't have written so much! XDkansasdude2009
I fully agree :x!