This topic is locked from further discussion.

DigiTM73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DigiTM73
Member since 2009 • 801 Posts

I just had my hotmail account closed from Microsoft due to not being used so I opted to get it closed. However by doing so, GFWL refuses to login with that email address. So I created a new Gamertag with my new email address. So wondering if I start playing my existing GFWL games through my new account, will I just reenter the keycode and all will be fine?
Or am I up a certain creek without a paddle?

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Can you log in into your account? i think you can change the email tied to your account. I could be wrong though.
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts

I just had my hotmail account closed from Microsoft due to not being used so I opted to get it closed. However by doing so, GFWL refuses to login with that email address. So I created a new Gamertag with my new email address. So wondering if I start playing my existing GFWL games through my new account, will I just reenter the keycode and all will be fine?
Or am I up a certain creek without a paddle?

DigiTM73

You should get in touch with Microsoft about this as soon as possible, I would think. It would be pretty sad if you were to lose access to your games because of this.

DigiTM73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DigiTM73

I can't log into my old gamercardaccount at all. My old Hotmail doesn't exist at all. I have just tried to reenter my Fallout3 key and it's saying it is registered to another account. So by the sound of this, all this DRM stuff is designed for the person that will never in his/her life change email or details.
I rang support just before and they said games such as Fallout3, GTA4, DOW2 etc are all linked to the original account you entered the keycode in. So lose your account, and it's unfortunate. The only way is to just change your email address in your gamercard, but because my old email doesn't exist now I can't do that.
I wonder whyI buy my games, since by buying games you have more misery and problems.

Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

It really depends on the games that you have, I personally think you should be okay. As far as we know GFWL has two different forms of DRM, one version allows for 15 activations and 1 version ties the game to your account (a bit like steam). Now as far as I know most GFWL titles are all using the "15 activation" DRM. I certainly don't know of any games that tie themselves to your GFWL account. You should also consider any DLC or Games On Demand you bought with your old account will now be inaccessible with your new account.

I would take what the support department says with a pinch of salt. I had GTA 4 installed on my machine using my standard GFWL account, later on I fancied creating a new GFWL account and did not have a problem using the second GFWL account with GTA 4, it was the same story with Fallout 3. I can't comment on DOW because I don't have that game.

I have just tried Fallout 3 here on my machine and I can sign in with both accounts, it doesn't complain about the serial number or anything. I can't test GTA 4 out since I no longer have that on my machine but again I remember never having problems using two accounts with it.

DigiTM73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DigiTM73

Your right, it worked this time around. I prob had one number wrong in the cdkey. Only thing is I have lost all the Fallout3 DLC, but then again I lost my disc so I might just end up picking the GOTY off Steam since that has all the DLC. That was the only DLC I bought through GFWL, oh and Street Fighter 4 Alternate Costumes. Which was a total waste of money.
These days there are so many accounts you have to create. GFWL accounts, EA accounts, and now Bioware accounts.

Okay all are installed and working now, except for Dirt 2. That is the only one that uses the GFWL SSA (tied to the one and only gamertag account), so I really only lost one game which I can never play again. I just wish Steam would've mentioned the game as using GFWL with SSA. It only mentions GFWL. I have found out that GFWL uses 2x different protections. Non-SSA (mostly 5x activations per month on any machine), and SSA which is linked only to the original Gamertag that was created.
Would Steam reissue a new key? Or does Codemasters? Or does Microsoft?

charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 charmingcharlie

Good to hear you got most of your stuff back up and running, the drm situation with GFWL is a real mess and something a lot of people screaming "there is nothing wrong with GFWL" never take into account. To be fair too steam all they can do is try and give you as much info as they have. A lot of the time publishers don't tell steam the specifics of it all. You will find half the time publishers will just tell steam "yeah it's all cool we just use GFWL DRM" making sure they neglect the fact they use the SSA option (after all it wouldn't do their sales much good by telling people).

As for Dirt 2 I get the feeling you might have to right the game off or buy it again. However before that I would fire off an email to Codemasters and Steam explaining the situation. You never know what might happen, they may just say "not our problem get in touch with Microsoft" at the very least it will show them that the GFWL DRM is crap (surprise surprise) and might encourage them not to use it in future.

DigiTM73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DigiTM73

I'll contact Microsoft tomorrow during working hours and find out. I have the keycode, and I have the original email purchase of Dirt 2. Plus it shows in Steam and in the history that I bought it. Losing a game is unacceptable. They will either fix it, or I think I will submit my purchase to Fair Trading and Consumer Law. I'm sure they'll resolve it.

DigiTM73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DigiTM73

Got a email back from Codemasters and this is the response copied and pasted direct from the email.

Thank you for submitting your recent request to Codemasters Customer Services concerning DiRT 2.

If you have already used the key given to you with the game we cannot assist unfortunately. If you are playing from a region that is not supported by Games for Windows Live, we cannot help you bypass this.

We do not issue any replacement Windows Live keys for any of our games I'm afraid.

If you are unable to create a GFWL account, the following forum post explains how to create an offline profile, which will allow you to save your game:

Hope this helps.

So in other words, tough luck. Only game to have this SSA, the rest worked in new profile of GFWL no probs. Guess I better take Codemasters off my list. Can't believe people say GFWL isn't that bad. Think I def might submit this to Fair Trading, considering there is no mention at all about SSA. All the game says is "Other Requirements: Online play requires log-in to Games For Windows - Live. Which is exactly what other games such as Fallout3 say, but they are Non-SSA. This is in fact hiding and misleading information from the consumer since it should say it uses SSA.

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chandu83

Got a email back from Codemasters and this is the response copied and pasted direct from the email.

Thank you for submitting your recent request to Codemasters Customer Services concerning DiRT 2.

If you have already used the key given to you with the game we cannot assist unfortunately. If you are playing from a region that is not supported by Games for Windows Live, we cannot help you bypass this.

We do not issue any replacement Windows Live keys for any of our games I'm afraid.

If you are unable to create a GFWL account, the following forum post explains how to create an offline profile, which will allow you to save your game:

Hope this helps.

So in other words, tough luck. Only game to have this SSA, the rest worked in new profile of GFWL no probs. Guess I better take Codemasters off my list. Can't believe people say GFWL isn't that bad. Think I def might submit this to Fair Trading, considering there is no mention at all about SSA. All the game says is "Other Requirements: Online play requires log-in to Games For Windows - Live. Which is exactly what other games such as Fallout3 say, but they are Non-SSA. This is in fact hiding and misleading information from the consumer since it should say it uses SSA.

DigiTM73

Man, what a real mess. Sometimes I just wonder, why not just buy an Xbox and be done with it.
Why don't you get in touch with Microsoft and ask them if they can help you with this somehow. I doubt if they are going to do anything, but you got nothing to lose.

DigiTM73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DigiTM73

Console is tempting but PC isn't all that bad. It's just this silly stuff. Codemasters have not just lost a client, but also a reseller. Tomorrow I am removing all there product from shelves and returning to supplier. Unfortunate for them I work in the industry. That's how I found out that the game uses SSA but fails to mention it on purchase. Games need to start saying not just Other Requirements: Online play requires log-in to Games For Windows - Live, but also in brackets (SSA) or (Non-SSA). Having activations or linked fulltime to an account just needs to be mentioned as well.
I spoke to my friend whom happens to work at Microsoft (yes he's a nice guy), and he informs me it's really up to the game publisher. But he is going to note down about Codemasters and submit a report to his team leader, despite the fact I state I am not the vengeful person.

charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 charmingcharlie

Yeah I had a feeling that would be the response from Codemasters, it seems par for the course these days. Yon contact the game publisher they tell you to contact Microsoft, you contact Microsoft and they tell you to contact the publisher. Only the software industry can get away with this bull and it is about time they were brought to book on it. I think this is the problem with DRM, I don't mind DRM as long as it doesn't get in my way I am fine with it. However there is NO support whatsoever if things go wrong, you are screwed.

Anyway I have a standing policy of avoiding all games that feature either the GFW logo or the GFWL logo. I certainly won't die if I never play GFWL titles in my view if Microsoft are unwilling to support GFWL then why the hell should I support it with my money.

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chandu83

Console is tempting but PC isn't all that bad. It's just this silly stuff. Codemasters have not just lost a client, but also a reseller. Tomorrow I am removing all there product from shelves and returning to supplier. Unfortunate for them I work in the industry. That's how I found out that the game uses SSA but fails to mention it on purchase. Games need to start saying not just Other Requirements: Online play requires log-in to Games For Windows - Live, but also in brackets (SSA) or (Non-SSA). Having activations or linked fulltime to an account just needs to be mentioned as well.
I spoke to my friend whom happens to work at Microsoft (yes he's a nice guy), and he informs me it's really up to the game publisher. But he is going to note down about Codemasters and submit a report to his team leader, despite the fact I state I am not the vengeful person.

DigiTM73

Its not about being vengeful. You paid money for something, and you are being treated like a pirate. I would see this through if only to find out how much the game publishers/developers are willing to support the paying customer.

I really cannot see why they won't help you out, especially when they can.