Is Demon's Souls a 3rd party or a 1st party game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 0

#1 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

On the box, it says "Only on Playstation", but it's not published by Sony.

Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts
2nd-party.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP.
Inger1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Inger1
Member since 2005 • 941 Posts

It was published by SCEJ in Japan but by Atlus in North America.

I also do believe Sony owns the IP but i'm not 100% sure on that one

Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

I think Sony own the IP, so even though its made by a dev Sony don't own, the game is 1st party in all ways that matter.

Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

Alright thanks guys.

Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts
Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP.AAllxxjjnn
This is true. Demon's Souls was published by Sony on the Japanese version. The only reason why you see Atlus on the cover for the American release is because they're the ones who brought it over here, since the original publishers didn't want to. It's still owned by Sony, though.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

On the box, it says "Only on Playstation", but it's not published by Sony.

Warriorboy1990
Only on Playstation doesn't mean it's 1st party....
gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP.Nerd_Man
This is true. Demon's Souls was published by Sony on the Japanese version. The only reason why you see Atlus on the cover for the American release is because they're the ones who brought it over here, since the original publishers didn't want to. It's still owned by Sony, though.

LOL, there probably kicking themselfs for that one:o

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#10 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I don't think Sony has even made a GAME. they only publish.

BZSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BZSIN
Member since 2005 • 7889 Posts

Sony's Japan Studio also had a hand in development, hence the Japan Studio screen that pops up when you start the game.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

LegatoSkyheart

Santa Monica :)

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

LegatoSkyheart
i heard they planned the game out, and outsourced it to From Software for the actual development
ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChrnoTrigger
Member since 2008 • 2155 Posts

LegatoSkyheart

If you're going to post an ignorant comment, atleast don't capitalize any words.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#15 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

ChrnoTrigger

If you're going to post an ignorant comment, atleast don't capitalize any words.

son, I'm only "ignorant" because wasn't informed that Sony ever MADE a game.

I guess I can call you ignorant too because you weren't informed that I never knew that Sony made a game.

Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts

[QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

I guess I can call you ignorant too because you weren't informed that I never knew that Sony made a game.

You know... Sony consists of all of these studios: Japan Studio – Ape Escape, Siren, LocoRoco, Patapon Team ICO – Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, The Last Guardian Polyphony Digital – Gran Turismo, Motor Toon Grand Prix 2, Tourist Trophy Naughty Dog - Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter series, Uncharted series Santa Monica Studio – Kinetica, God of War series, Warhawk with Incognito Entertainment San Diego Studio – NBA, MLB: The Show Sony Bend – Syphon Filter, Resistance: Retribution Sony Online Entertainment – EverQuest Incognito Entertainment – Warhawk with SCE Studios Santa Monica, Twisted Metal series, Downhill Domination, Calling All Cars Zipper Interactive – SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs series, MAG London Studio – SingStar, Eyetoy, PlayStation Home with SCE Studio Cambridge Studio Cambridge – MediEvil, PlayTV, PlayStation Home with SCE London Studio Studio Liverpool – Wipeout, F1 Evolution Studios – MotorStorm, World Rally Championship Bigbig Studios – Pursuit Force, MotorStorm: Arctic Edge Guerrilla Games – Killzone series

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

LegatoSkyheart

That's not true.
Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, God Of War, Gran Turismo...Sony makes a lot of games.

I'm looking forward to SONY's THE LAST GUARDIAN for instance. Also, check this out :

Sony has a larger 1st Party than Xbox and Nintendo combined!

As far as Demon's Souls, it's a Sony owned IP, because Sony does publish games too, like Nintendo and Xbox.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

How do you guys know if Sony owns the IP or not, Back in 2008 MS published NG2 as x360 exclusiveand yet tecmo and TN rereleased the game on the PS3 as NGS2??!!!!!!!!!!

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

[QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

Ignorance means lack of common knowledge.It is common knowledge that Sony makes games but it is not common knowledge that you didn't know, so his use of the word was correct.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

How do you guys know if Sony owns the IP or not, Back in 2008 MS published NG2 as x360 exclusiveand yet tecmo and TN rereleased the game on the PS3 as NGS2??!!!!!!!!!!

2mrw

IT's been researched, that's how everyone knows. It's not due to the publishing that people are confused, DS has been researched. Tecmo owns and will always own their IP's, like NG and DOA. Those aren't Xbox IP's. I've answered this about Demon's Souls a lot in SW, but since I'm that kind of guy, I will dig up the answer for you, 2mrw. :P

------------

I hope everyone reads this thread to stop the Demon's Souls questions! I will dig up some of my other posts to make this a bit easier, and to avoid a bunch of questions.

Remember 2mrw, you asked for it! :P :

------------

From Software is a 2nd Party Developer in the case of Demon's Souls, working for Sony. Sony Planned, Co-created, and owns the Demon's Souls IP and Game. :)

Sony doesn't OWN the dev From Software, however Sony worked with FSoftware to create Demon's Souls as a 1st Party Sony Game.

How can I explain this...Think EPIC (The Game company that made Unreal and GeoW.).

Epic is a Known 3rd Party, can make games, do whatever they want. M$ approached them and had them create GeoW 1&2 for the Xbox 360 Platform. M$ will own GeoW 1&2 when it's all said and done. M$ does NOT own EPIC.

In this case, EPIC, who are usually a 3rd Party, will now be a second Party developer, hired to create these two games for M$.

Whatever is created, M$ has conplete control over, and owns outright. Epic is payed and deals are made.

From Software is a known 3rd Party.

However, both SONY and M$ hired FS to make 1st Party games for both companies.

Sony even pitched in devs to help make their game.

The end result was that M$ received and owns Ninja Blade developed by FS. Sony received and owns Demon's Souls developed by FS and Sony.

Sony decided that DS wouldn't sell to western audiences, and ATLUS approached Sony to release the game to the Western side, which is what ATLUS does A LOT. Many of ATLUS' games aren't ATLUS made at all.

No, don't get confused.

No, all exclusive games are NOT 1st Party!

HOWEVER, Sony games are 1st party (Just like Nintendo's Games and M$ games are 1st Party).Sony owns Demon's Souls, that's it.

Let's look at M$ for a second. GeoW is a 1st Party game, despite EPIC being a free 3rd Party. GeoW IS a M$ property (Well, GeoW and GeoW2 is, after that ownership transfers to EPIC).

Bulletwitch (an exclusive 360 game) is a 3rd Party game, but it is exclusive to the 360...like Valkeria Chronicles on PS3, which is made by Sega.

Here's another EXAMPLE.

M$ owns an IP called PHANTOM DUST. It's all M$'s. Fun game, especially online. Now, M$ did not feel the Japanese sty.le of the game would sell well in the WEST. So, M$ opted to NOT BOTHER PUBLISHING their very own game, PDust, because it didn't seem it would sell well.

Although PHANTOM DUST was a M$ property, M$ licensed PDUST for release in the U.S. by a 3rd party,Majesco, and let them take the risk in the west. Sony has allowed ATLUS to do the same thing. In fact, MANY GAMES FROM ATLUS are not ATLUS Properties at all! :o

Did you ever play a PS2 game called SKYGUNNER? Like Demons Souls, that was a SONY OWNED game, but again, SONY had no faith in the game sales in the WEST...so SONY allowed good ol' ATLUS to Publish Skygunner in the States.
Skygunner is STILL a SONY 1st Party Game.

Demons Souls is a SONY Game, made by SONY and From Software. Sony hired FS to make a game for SONY, and SONY owns the IP.SONY may or may not use FS to make a sequel, that's up to SONY. Just like Dark Cloud. It's a SONY PROPERTY, But, it was made by Level 5.

If you had a PS3, you could IMPORT Demon's SOULS right now, and see it's a SONY game.

Look at the bottom right hand corner of the box...

Considering it's a Sony1stParty game that being brought over courtesy of ATLUS, I hope this makes sense.

Sony doesn't believe their 1stPartySony game, Demon'sSouls, will sell well in the west due to the difficulty, amongst other things.

Same thing about PHANTOM DUST last gen on Xbox. It's a M$ 1stParty game that M$ didn't think would sell well, so they let Majesco Port it over to the West.

Are you just being more General? Do you mean 1stParty games like Uncharted, Halo, Mario, Ratchet, Resistance, Zelda, Banjo, Fable, Jak, InFamous, Killzone, Metroid, Demon'sSouls, should just be on all consoles?

I agree, that would be cool.

Actually Sony hired FS to make them this game. DS was Jointly Developed by Sony and they had FS develop the game that Sony planned and produced, making FS a Second Party in this case.

Sony planned the DEMON's SOULS, and did a partnership with From Software to have FS co create it. SONY then Produced this product as it is SONY's game after all. That's why DS is a ps3 exclusive game.

What you have to ask yourself, is when this game is finished, who owns the IP. You see, there is no such thing as a 2nd Party game, per se. There is Second Party Developers, but ultimately it's either a 3rd Party game or a 1stparty game.

Like Level 5 who made Rogue Galaxy for Sony, Insomniac who made Ratchet and Resistance for Sony. There is other companies that do this all the time, Ninja Blade, Phantom Dust, Metroid M, ATV offroad fury, etc.

You don't have to own the studio to OWN the game, just ask ACTIVISION, EA, Capcom (who hired GRIN to make Bionic Commando), etc.

Demon's Souls is a 1st Party Sony owned game, but Sony decided that this game is too hard for the West, and therefore fears LOW Sales.

I've had to explain this a quite a few times, but this is the shortest version I can come up with, does that make sense?

This should help explain why DS is a PS3 exclusive.Look at this Japanese Box as a final entry, see the bottom right hand corner?

ATLUS publishing DS in the West, and FS being involved with DS confuses a lot of posters, I guess.