Can I play PS3 on a computer monitor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BPrimeTimeL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BPrimeTimeL
Member since 2004 • 233 Posts

Can I play my PS3 or Xbox 360 in HD on any computer monitor or TV as long as it has a HDMI port? On a similar note, is there a noticeable difference between a monitor with a 800:1 contrast ratio and one that has a 1,000:1 ratio?

Thanks

360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

For PS3 the monitor needs to be HDCP compatable. I don't know about the difference of the contrast ratio but I would be more concerned with refresh rate. As for 360, I run 1920 x 1080 through the vga cable and looks great as I don't have HDMI on my 360, and I'm pretty sure you don't need HDCP for the 360 since it's inferior LMAO (a little fanboy humor).

bigredrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bigredrew
Member since 2004 • 104 Posts

I personally don't own a HD display of any sort; however, youtube has how to videos on setting it up for both SD and HD. You'll only need to the correct cables and tools to set it up.8)

oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

you must have HDCP on your monitor

you aslo need a build in speaker in your monitor or if your monitor has HDMI output, otherwise it cant have sound.

the easiest way is to get a HD media player and connnect your PS3 to it.

360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 360hammer

you must have HDCP on your monitor

you aslo need a build in speaker in your monitor or if your monitor has HDMI output, otherwise it cant have sound.

the easiest way is to get a HD media player and connnect your PS3 to it.

oajlu

You can use the HDMI cord and standard cables which came with the PS3 for sound at the same time, it's what I do and works like a charm, part of the reason they added multi sound output in the xmb settings.

BPrimeTimeL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 BPrimeTimeL
Member since 2004 • 233 Posts

So I looked around for a bit and it appears that I would only need HDCP support if I am connecting with HDMI-DVI, is that correct? So if I am connecting my PS3 or Xbox to a monitor via HDMI-HDMI, I wouldn't have to worry about HDCP? Any computer monitor or tv with a HDMI port would work in that case right?

Thanks

director13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 director13
Member since 2004 • 1677 Posts

So I looked around for a bit and it appears that I would only need HDCP support if I am connecting with HDMI-DVI, is that correct? So if I am connecting my PS3 or Xbox to a monitor via HDMI-HDMI, I wouldn't have to worry about HDCP? Any computer monitor or tv with a HDMI port would work in that case right?

Thanks

BPrimeTimeL
yup
krylon36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 krylon36
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts

the monitor doesnt *have* to be hdcp compliant but youll be limited to a 480i resolution via the bundled cable.

Avatar image for paperdollparade
paperdollparade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 paperdollparade
Member since 2007 • 1915 Posts

my PS3 is connected to a monitor. it works fine but make sure there are built in speakers and you may want to consider looking for some headsetssince the sound quality isn't always going to be good. it's not a problem for games but dvds for some reason have problems getting the sound loud enough. unless you have a receiver and 2.0 optical speakers then you already have sound covered.

360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 360hammer

the monitor doesnt *have* to be hdcp compliant but youll be limited to a 480i resolution via the bundled cable.

krylon36

Well if your using HDMI like he stated yes it does have to be HDCP. Seriously, who's gonna get a monitor for their PS3 and 360 to only buy a converter of some sorts to use the packaged cables?

Yes, for all practical purposes you will need a HDCP compliant monitor.

360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 360hammer

[QUOTE="BPrimeTimeL"]

Thanks

director13

yup

No, most newer TV's and monitor's support HDCP, just because it has HDMI doesn't mean it's guarenteed to be HDCP compliant.