PS3 HDCP Question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

solaris916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 solaris916
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I have seen this question a couple of times in the forums, but have yet to see an answer.

I want to get a PS3 Slim and I want to use my monitor which is a Hanns-G 19" LCD (JW199D). Does anyone know if this monitor is HDCP compliant? I can't find the information anywhere on the manufacture's website (or any website for that matter). I have emailed the manufacturer and have not yet received a response. I know it has a DVI-D input and I know I'll need to get an HDMI to DVI cable/adapter, but I know I'll just get a blank screen if it's not HDCP compliant.

Anyone out there have luck using a PS3 on this monitor?

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
If it has a DVI port it doesn't need to be HDCP compliant. Using the DVI port will work fine.
mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
If it has a DVI port it doesn't need to be HDCP compliant. Using the DVI port will work fine.Duckman5
HDCP is required for blu-ray playback...except for games
Twig978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Twig978
Member since 2009 • 557 Posts
No HDMI = no HDCP. Games will work fine but Blue Ray movies won't.
solaris916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 solaris916

I was under the impression that HDCP was required to get any video signal from the PS3. HDCP only applies to Blu-ray then? That's a relief. Thanks for your help.

solaris916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 solaris916

Just to update anyone with a similar situation as mine: HDCP DOES matter for the PS3- and not just for Blu-ray movies. My monitor, it turns out, is not HDCP compatible. Everyone who told me that the PS3 would work for games and that DVI doesn't use HDCP is wrong. It doesn't work for games, movies, the XMB- nothing. I just ordered a PS3/Wii VGA cable from Mayflash that has some mixed reviews- I hope it's at least better than playing on an SD TV.

NeoSlyfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NeoSlyfer
Member since 2009 • 40 Posts

Same for me , I have a Hanns.G 19" LCD my Xbox 360 works fine with it, however my PS3 it's a blank screen only *sigh

Lum_Yatsura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lum_Yatsura
Member since 2004 • 506 Posts

Yes. PS3 needs HDCP to output any audio and/or video from its HDMI port. Regardless of content type or resolution. Even the XMB set to 480p will get a blank screen and no sound.

As the above poster said, Xbox 360 is different. IIRC it only uses HDCP during movie playback.