AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3.1GHz (Brisbane) is running very hot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Alkali5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Alkali5000
Member since 2004 • 731 Posts
I just installed a AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3.1GHz (Brisbane) onto my board and the temps are registering rather oddly. The Core temps are much lower than the CPU temp. I ran Prime 95 for about an hour and now Orthos for about 2 hours so far without any errors, while doing so I've measured the temps with various programs. Speedfan shows Temp1@ around 70,C but Core@ around 45C CoreTemp shows both cores@ around 72C PC Wizard shows CPU@around 75C but both the core temps@ the same as Speedfan's core temp (45Cish during stress tests) RealTemp doesn't even work as it doesn't recognize my CPU AMD's website shows the max temp rating for this chip is 62C! I know that some brisbanes have been said to have faulty core temp diodes but it seems in my case more like the core temp diodes on the CPU are correct and the Mobo CPU temps are wrong. The core temps shown in the temp monitors seem around right what I would expect. CoreTemp is the only oddity since I thought it registered the temps from the core diodes yet its showing 2-3C lower than the CPU temps rather than what other programs are showing the core temps at... The HSF is warm to the touch at full load but definitely not 70C, I can leave my finger on it forever if I needed to. The fact that its been running perfectly stable @ around 70C for nearly 2 hours makes me wonder if its the mobos temp sensor that is incorrect. Does that seem reasonable to conclude that everything should be fine and I just have a wonky CPU temp sensor on my mobo? Heres My relevant specs: MBO - Asus M2A-VM CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHz FAN - Thermaltake TR2-R1 A4022
Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
I think these CPUs seem to have an issue with their sensors. I have the 5600+ and ive had strange readings from PC Wizard. The only thing i use to monitor my temps is Easytune. Only because it seems to give simular readings to the BIOS.
Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
Also, atfer you have finished a stress test, my advice would to restart and go straight into BIOS and see what the temps are. Also doesnt your mobo have a warning if the CPU temps reach a certain level, mine used to give off a high pitched noise due to AMD's woeful stock heatsinks.
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
I've got the same CPU, and at first it did run hot but once it was burned in and I re-applied the heatsink/thermal paste/fan it idled around 60C. It is a 90nm CPU so it is going to run hot and after looking around the net when I first got it, everyone was saying the same. This was 3 years ago and the thing is still running and on 24/7.
Mr_NoName111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mr_NoName111
Member since 2005 • 1035 Posts
An easy way to figure out correct temp readings is to make your computer idle, and run fans at MAX. This will make the CPU's temp fairly close to ambient temperatures. So if your room temp is 25, then the correct CPU temp *should* be something like 30 when idling.
Alkali5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Alkali5000
Yeah I did that and the BIOS said 55C but I read somewhere that my mainboard's (M2A-VM) CPU temp is unreliable, so thats not really useful information if the sensor is faulty on the board. BTW I had it running ORTHOS for 3 hours no errors, according to PC Wizard 2008/Speedfan CPU Temp during load steady around 72C and core temps steady around 45C Speedfan during Idle I get 18C on core temps... approx 38C for CPU... Mainboard Temp goes to 32C during idle 38-39C during load
Alkali5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Alkali5000
Actually what I have is the 3.1GHz 6000+ 65nm Brisbane. After some more testing and monitoring I am really starting to wonder if its not a sensor problem and is just simply a cooling problem... I have a Thermaltake TR2-R1 HSF (Tigerdirect link) on this CPU I read comments about it from a few websites and was under the impression that it should be quite sufficient to keep a 6000+ cool enough at stock values. I'm thinking either its insufficient cooling or there's a mounting/contact problem... damn I really didn't want to pull it off cause I'll need to get some more thermal paste. I just used the thermal paste that was already on the HSF, didn't think it would be an issue. The HSF warms up under load but I can touch it with no trouble... at the registered CPU temp of 70C I would assume the damn thing would be ridiculously hot if it was actually working properly and just insufficient for cooling this CPU... I'm quite perplexed. Any other ideas?
ezekielsk8r416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ezekielsk8r416
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I am having the exact same problem. I have the same HSF fan at the moment. Mine sits idle at around 40-45c and full load it goes up to mid/high 60s. Its quite frustrating. Ive played games for hours and hours with no reboots or shutdowns. In most cases the computer reboots if it gets too hot right? I dont know what to do. Ive re-applyed paste, my airflow is fine. My vcore does read 1.4 volts, not sure if thats high/low or what.
bluemustang16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bluemustang16
Member since 2005 • 283 Posts

I have the same CPU and had this problem when i had first installed it, would max out into the lower 60s. In my case the problem was my mobo (Asus M3A78 setting the Vcore too high (was running at 1.47v) upgrading the BIOS lowered Vcore to 1.38V and my temps never break 50C with stock HSF.