PS3 surround sound advice/help plz

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sycosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 Sycosi
Member since 2006 • 327 Posts

Apologises if there has been another post regarding this but would really like some help setting up 5.1 for my Ps3. Now I have a newish technics amp that has surround sound as an available setting and a digital input which I current have 2 front stereo speakers plugged into, obviously I don't have the amp on surround sound with just the 2 front speakers as that sounds rubbish. My Ps3 is plugged in via HDMI to my plasma and into the amp via digital. Now what I need to know is what is the best way to get 5.1. Do I literally just have to buy 2 satalite speakers, any size within reason, for the back/side and a sub and front speaker or should I invest in a stand alone 5.1 system, Logitec 540 etc. It all gets quite confusing as a lot of the 5.1 systems don't connect via digital etc.

Any advice/info or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts

All i use is a LG home theatre in a box for both my PS3 and 360, and it sounds great. I use an optical cable from my systems to my receiver/dvd and just use hdmi for video.

The 2 front speakers youre using shouldnt be plugged into the digital inputs, there should be dedicated inputs for your speakers maybe thats why it sounds like rubbish.

So yes if you have to front speakers, then youll need to buy a center speaker, 2 rears and a sub, which is probably the best way to go. Or you can by a whole new system theat somes with everything.

I have a home theater in a box because i live in an apartment 8P

btw im using,

http://visions.ca/catalogue/category/Details.aspx?categoryId=166&productId=3044&menuId=368&parentId1=368&parentId2=''&parentId3=''&menuLevel=1

Sycosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 Sycosi
Member since 2006 • 327 Posts

All i use is a LG home theatre in a box for both my PS3 and 360, and it sounds great. I use an optical cable from my systems to my receiver/dvd and just use hdmi for video.

The 2 front speakers youre using shouldnt be plugged into the digital inputs, there should be dedicated inputs for your speakers maybe thats why it sounds like rubbish.

So yes if you have to front speakers, then youll need to buy a center speaker, 2 rears and a sub, which is probably the best way to go. Or you can by a whole new system theat somes with everything.

I have a home theater in a box because i live in an apartment 8P

btw im using,

http://visions.ca/catalogue/category/Details.aspx?categoryId=166&productId=3044&menuId=368&parentId1=368&parentId2=''&parentId3=''&menuLevel=1

nitsud_19
Sorry I mistyped. My 2 front speak are plugged in normally via analogue leads into my reciever and my ps3 in by the digital cable. However I think you're right that I'll just invest in a front speaker, a subwoofer, and 2 smaller surrounds. I do in fact have those speakers to hand but they're not the best quality. might just give them a go to get an idea. I'll check out the link tho. Seen some proper surrounds from Logitech that I was considering. Thanx for your reply.