Download2Drive. Need help with downloads.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Solidus171

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Solidus171
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts

I recently purchased Warhammer: Online from D2D. They were good on the service, they provided my CD-key 10 (wtf lol) times to my email address and I can now download the game!

However, I use their download manager to download the game and I get struck with a horrid download speed of 5kb/s. I left the game on for 24 hours and it wasn't even half done or anything, with the counter reading 200 hours left to go. It's inconsistent as it bounces up to perhaps 100kb/s maximum but then drops to around 10 after an hour. Does anyone have any idea how to get this to work better?

Any help would be fabulous since it's getting on my nerves having spent £31 with no actual game to play.

eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#2 eclarkdog
Member since 2004 • 1310 Posts

its direct2drive:

anyway, I've purchased quite a few games from d2d, but was pretty unimpressed by the download speeds. apparently, they are better if you have a ign subscription. However, recently the download speeds have been very good and approach 1mb/s. Without knowing your bandwidth, it sounds like something is wrong with your computer and honestly that is the response you'll get from d2d at first - i've tried that myself.

Also, sounds like you may be in Britain so I don't know what the deal is there. I would run some performance and bandwith checks on your PC. You definitely should have better download speeds than what your a getting.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#3 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
One time i only got 150k downloading from d2d. Then the next time i got a solid 500-600k.
Solidus171

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Solidus171

I didn't give enough information out previously, here is my problem in full:

I currently use AOL broadband with a max dl speed of 2mb/s (effectively thats 500kb/s for downloads in real life). I use a modem to supply the connection - BT Voyager 105 USB modem (one of the crappy ones that game with the internet, i never saw the use in getting a new one, time for a new one perhaps?). Usually, whenever I perform a download on steam, my download speed is robust and consistent, roughly at the estimated 500kb/s and doesn't tend to fluctuate.

However whenever I now go on D2D or on Filefront, the download speeds drop to around 60kb/s. This may be linked with the websites themselves? I'm not sure and I doubt so because recently I've been hugely annoyed with my connection because whenever I watch music videos on youtube or google vids, the videos stop and buffer every 3 seconds. This interupts the vid of course and pauses for up to 10 seconds each time. They are much slower to load.

I imagine this is a problem with my internet but I'm not sure what to pin it down to. I've tried swapping the modem for a router but the difference is non existant - they perform exactly the same. It could be my internet, maybe AOL is playing up? The problem that I have is the inconsistency with the speeds. One week it will be fine and dls will be at 500kb/s then the next week the internet is incredibly slow! Whenever I played internet games such as Eve Online and WoW, I always had medium latency of around 150ms (which sucks for pvp btw) and it hitched from time to time.

I considered buying a new modem or router, but they are expensive and I don't know if they will make the difference. Alternatively it could be because my security settings don't allow some websites to download as fast? I followed D2D's suggestions to speed up my internet but none of them work.

It's getting frustrating now as my downloads are very slow. Should I get another provider completely? As I'm fed up with AOL too.

Solidus171

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Solidus171
Also yes, I do live in Britain, if that makes any difference.
darkmagician06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 darkmagician06
Member since 2003 • 6060 Posts
your first mistake was using D2D. sorry i know it doesnt help but i said it. most downloads are indeed linked to the websites that cap the download speeds