Wii sales not rising in tandem with higher review scores

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xylophagous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 xylophagous
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts

In the latest issue of GamesTM (a UK games magazine) there was a comment that

"Analysts have proved that the Wii is the first console whose games sales don't rise in tandem with higher review scores."

Very Interesting. What's your take on this sentence and what do you think the implications are?

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Well you can't sell consoles that arent on the shelves, and you can't increase beyond selling out. The only way sells can increase is if Nintendo ramps up production.
xylophagous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xylophagous

Well you can't sell consoles that arent on the shelves, and you can't increase beyond selling out. The only way sells can increase is if Nintendo ramps up production.Sepewrath

We're not talking about console sales but games sales. Does it mean that the public don't take notice of Wii game review scores and just buy anything.

xylophagous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xylophagous

um is it my eyes playing tricks , ,

did he not claim wii sales not rising,

they are rising lol , in fact yesterday about 12 pm i went into gamestop there was a lady and man buying a wii , , lol

thats one sale right there that adds to the total number of sales,

so uk magazine fails completely , as wii is out of stock every where i look for games for my wii , so its not just us or japan its the uk to ,

wiis are sold everywhere evey day they come in ,,

games are selling,

they just dont monitor them as much as they do 360 and ps3s lol ,

i just bought indinapolis legends today lol , thats a game sold,

galaxy sold well as did super paper mario metroid 3 mariokart rockband ssbb zelda red steel re4 wii edition and so on ,

epic failed topic,

mariokart64fan

I don't think you understood the topic, actually. There is a relationship between games sales and good reviews (obviously). However, in the case of the Wii this relationship doesn't appear to exist, but it does exist for all other consoles. That's what this topic is about, which is hopefully more interesting that the usual 'what game should i buy' or 'what's your favourite game' topics.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Well you can't sell consoles that arent on the shelves, and you can't increase beyond selling out. The only way sells can increase is if Nintendo ramps up production.xylophagous

We're not talking about console sales but games sales. Does it mean that the public don't take notice of Wii game review scores and just buy anything.

Of course not. Dont you realize by now that the Wii's market are casual gamers? Most casual gamers do not go to websites like Gamespot and check up on review scores. I bet half of these casual gamers dont even know about any other games besides Wii games. And less than half are hardcore gamers. Ask them if they ever played Super Metroid or Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, and they'll probably answer no. That's why Zelda Twilight Princess didnt see that much success because the Nintendo crowd are more casual than ever now. Video game analysts are saying it, Reggie is probably even saying it and they know it, whether you like it or not.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

epic failed topic

mariokart64fan

Wow.

Reading comprehension: use it.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts
This is actually a very interesting fine, it would explain why third party developers are still making bad games, and that's because they sell.
LotsOfGrenades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 LotsOfGrenades
Member since 2008 • 106 Posts

Disagree - This is a very good topic.

Whoever says otherwise seriously just cannot read an entire magazine (Speaking Attention Span and the ability to read well [not good])

Is it truely the only system? That's pretty bad. I think it's because the Wii, and this is from my view and from many others, just doesn't come at you. Like we all love the wii (most of us), we all want the wii, and the wii is just in general a fun console. But the Wii doesn't really come at you like 360 or even PS3 does. Nintendo first of all has longevity as a children's device. A lot of Wii Gamers, even myself who plays the wii often, line the Wii up in heights of perspective to new games, the same as the DS. (We will look at past monthly releases, vice next week's releases).

360 and PS3 are in their own league. Each has exclusive games that are usually a regurgitation of controls and bears a very high stream of competition. Have you ever heard of a ZELDA KILLER? or a MARIO KILLER? Not me. But HALO KILLER and COD4 KILLER, those are commonly used terms and WELL AWAITED.

Let's also look at the market. Parents usually buy the games, although a lot of kids are on GS, that barely shows the real neighborhood of children that reads game reviews. And we know most parents don't. They will buy games that are hot listed and these games are usually duds. PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN, HARRY POTTER, and whatever other game is out. No More Heroes shed a broad light on Nintendo's political position on it's market. WE CAN DO VIOLENCE. So now parents are even more concerned. Wii will do fine (obviously), but no one, not even the adults, really is concerned with NEXT WEEK. Too many big ticket items like RESISTANCE II and GoWII are coming.

GameOverKayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GameOverKayo
Member since 2007 • 471 Posts

um is it my eyes playing tricks , ,

did he not claim wii sales not rising,

they are rising lol , in fact yesterday about 12 pm i went into gamestop there was a lady and man buying a wii , , lol

thats one sale right there that adds to the total number of sales,

so uk magazine fails completely , as wii is out of stock every where i look for games for my wii , so its not just us or japan its the uk to ,

wiis are sold everywhere evey day they come in ,,

games are selling,

they just dont monitor them as much as they do 360 and ps3s lol ,

i just bought indinapolis legends today lol , thats a game sold,

galaxy sold well as did super paper mario metroid 3 mariokart rockband ssbb zelda red steel re4 wii edition and so on ,

epic failed topic,

mariokart64fan

No, epic failed post (yours)

SER69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SER69
Member since 2003 • 7096 Posts
Where are this higher reviewed games that you talk about?!?!?!
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I'm guessing its because a lot of Wii userbase don't care for review scores -- they buy what they want.

I can say pretty much the same thing about myself. A lot of my Wii games are rated in the 7.0's .. but I like them a lot.
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Of course not. Dont you realize by now that the Wii's market are casual gamers? Most casual gamers do not go to websites like Gamespot and check up on review scores. I bet half of these casual gamers dont even know about any other games besides Wii games. And less than half are hardcore gamers. Ask them if they ever played Super Metroid or Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, and they'll probably answer no. That's why Zelda Twilight Princess didnt see that much success because the Nintendo crowd are more casual than ever now. Video game analysts are saying it, Reggie is probably even saying it and they know it, whether you like it or not.

Elann2008

The problem is that it's the supposed "hardcore" gamers that gave up on Nintendo. Not Nintendo gaving up on the core. Nintendo just reached a new market but they are still making game for the core. The "hardcore" gamers gave up on Nintendo when the Playstation became mainstream. They always said the games are kiddy and the game sucks. How many people didn't buy the GameCube or the N64? I have a feeling you're on the list for that kind of turning. However, the "hardcore" gaming will be a niche market very soon. I can see Wii beat the PS360 in sales combined. The casual market is on for an expansion. It's your fault. Not Nintendo's fault. It's the fault of the supposed hardcore gamers. If people bought the GameCube more, you would see probably a better faith for you. Also, Casual games are not meaning they are bad. Boom Blox is awesome. Next gen, you'll see Sony and Microsoft becoming more casual. They won't let Nintendo ruled that market again.

As for me, I can see many "hardcore" games coming: Tales of Symphonia 2, Fragile, Kizuna, MadWorld, The Conduit, Mushroom Men, Arc Rise Fantasia, ... and I can count many "hardcore" games on Wiiware coming as well. I can't complain at all for that. Is it because they are not known games? If that so, I pity people that are thinking that. As for me, I gave up on the huge 3rd party companies unless they make original games. I'm now on the small 3rd party that can make original and interesting games. Maybe that's why I think the 360 or the PS3 games are lacking in originality.

Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
Maybe game sales don't rise with good reviews because hardcore gamers still have troubles getting a Wii? Or we're all just saving our money for the 2009 awesome game tidal wave.
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
when have they been getting higher reviews?
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Well you can't sell consoles that arent on the shelves, and you can't increase beyond selling out. The only way sells can increase is if Nintendo ramps up production.xylophagous

This is probably sufficient wording and reasoning from what I have seen. Wii game buyers are typically those that pull something off the shelf that looks good.
Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Scythes777
Member since 2006 • 2796 Posts
this is very true just look at carnival game's sales
presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts
The Wii doesn't have enough highly rated games to be making that kind of a conclusion. And what games have been getting higher reviews? I don't even know what they're talking about.
Sim_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sim_Gamer
Member since 2008 • 114 Posts
A lot of the Wii users just look at the pretty ad on tv that looks fun or they just go to the video game store and buy stuff without knowing because their son told them to buy it.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sepewrath

Disagree - This is a very good topic.

Whoever says otherwise seriously just cannot read an entire magazine (Speaking Attention Span and the ability to read well [not good])

Is it truely the only system? That's pretty bad. I think it's because the Wii, and this is from my view and from many others, just doesn't come at you. Like we all love the wii (most of us), we all want the wii, and the wii is just in general a fun console. But the Wii doesn't really come at you like 360 or even PS3 does. Nintendo first of all has longevity as a children's device. A lot of Wii Gamers, even myself who plays the wii often, line the Wii up in heights of perspective to new games, the same as the DS. (We will look at past monthly releases, vice next week's releases).

360 and PS3 are in their own league. Each has exclusive games that are usually a regurgitation of controls and bears a very high stream of competition. Have you ever heard of a ZELDA KILLER? or a MARIO KILLER? Not me. But HALO KILLER and COD4 KILLER, those are commonly used terms and WELL AWAITED.

Let's also look at the market. Parents usually buy the games, although a lot of kids are on GS, that barely shows the real neighborhood of children that reads game reviews. And we know most parents don't. They will buy games that are hot listed and these games are usually duds. PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN, HARRY POTTER, and whatever other game is out. No More Heroes shed a broad light on Nintendo's political position on it's market. WE CAN DO VIOLENCE. So now parents are even more concerned. Wii will do fine (obviously), but no one, not even the adults, really is concerned with NEXT WEEK. Too many big ticket items like RESISTANCE II and GoWII are coming.

LotsOfGrenades

Well another things is alot of the so call hardcore gamers who own Wii's constantly whine about how they want hardcore games, but when they come out they don't buy them. I mean you mentioned No More Heroes, obviously a hardcore title, and it is actually a great game, but no one bought it, and that game was a AAA title. So a high rating and poor sales, Wii owners seem to only want to do go with established franchises. Thats why two non-original RE titles broke 1 million in sales. Granted they were good games but when you go through the boards instead of new IPs or fresh versions of classic franchises all you see is remake this and remake that. If devs rereleased every highly rated hardcore title then we would see sells of games increase since that seems to be all people want.

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts

I think so.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

the public never ever reads reviews.

mothergaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mothergaia
Member since 2007 • 1412 Posts
lolreviews
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Technically the Dreamcast would be the first console to not follow this trend (higher scores led to lesser sales) but the Wii being second proves the same point.

Video games are for fun. When people know how to have fun, they will buy something that will give it to them. When you hide pure fun, suddenly fun becomes relative. Don't take away pure fun.

rgame1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rgame1
Member since 2008 • 2526 Posts
show how amazing wii is.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

I think it rises in tandem with high profile games, such as Mario Kart or Mario Party. But most of the Wii's high profile games came during the holiday season, where of course the Wii will sell, so it really isn't that shocking.

Let's look at the PS3 and 360. The only game that has really driven PS3 sales outside of the holiday season is MGS4. I can't think of anything else for either console recently.

EDIT: Oh, I thought this thread was about console sales, not software sales. My bad. Then again, the Wii doesn't have many AAA games in the first place, and almost all of them have sold very well.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="xylophagous"]

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Well you can't sell consoles that arent on the shelves, and you can't increase beyond selling out. The only way sells can increase is if Nintendo ramps up production.goblaa

the public never ever reads reviews.

Sadly, that's true.
irongutvi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 irongutvi
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts
Isnt the Wii games selling well? There are games that sold pretty well from Nintendo and other third parties.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts
[QUOTE="xylophagous"]

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Well you can't sell consoles that arent on the shelves, and you can't increase beyond selling out. The only way sells can increase is if Nintendo ramps up production.Elann2008

then how come 1/5th of all Wii owners own LOZ:TP?
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#30 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Casual gamers are masively increasing and the casual gamers don't care about reviews, only the hardcore gamers.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mitu123

Casual gamers are masively increasing and the casual gamers don't care about reviews, only the hardcore gamers.

wiifan001
That's true, my brother and sister are casual gamers and they never read a single review in their lives. I always read reviews on every game I want to buy.
Tim_Allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tim_Allen
Member since 2007 • 75 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

chris3116

The problem is that it's the supposed "hardcore" gamers that gave up on Nintendo. Not Nintendo gaving up on the core. Nintendo just reached a new market but they are still making game for the core. The "hardcore" gamers gave up on Nintendo when the Playstation became mainstream. They always said the games are kiddy and the game sucks. How many people didn't buy the GameCube or the N64? I have a feeling you're on the list for that kind of turning. However, the "hardcore" gaming will be a niche market very soon. I can see Wii beat the PS360 in sales combined. The casual market is on for an expansion. It's your fault. Not Nintendo's fault. It's the fault of the supposed hardcore gamers. If people bought the GameCube more, you would see probably a better faith for you. Also, Casual games are not meaning they are bad. Boom Blox is awesome. Next gen, you'll see Sony and Microsoft becoming more casual. They won't let Nintendo ruled that market again.

As for me, I can see many "hardcore" games coming: Tales of Symphonia 2, Fragile, Kizuna, MadWorld, The Conduit, Mushroom Men, Arc Rise Fantasia, ... and I can count many "hardcore" games on Wiiware coming as well. I can't complain at all for that. Is it because they are not known games? If that so, I pity people that are thinking that. As for me, I gave up on the huge 3rd party companies unless they make original games. I'm now on the small 3rd party that can make original and interesting games. Maybe that's why I think the 360 or the PS3 games are lacking in originality.

First off none of those games are from Nintendo that you listed, and yeah its a different market but there still isnt very many good games coming out for the Wii this year for the hardcore on the Wii. The 360 is getting Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, Mercenaries 2, etc. And Wiiware is pitiful. 2 or 3 good games at the most ( not include classics like Family Table Tennis), the XBLA has gotten in the last month Galiga Legions, Castle Crashers, and Bionic Commando to name a few. Now Im not an Xbot or hold any loyalty to any one system or developer but Nintendo is really ignoring the hardcore what did we get this year? Brawl and Mario Kart, both good games but pales in comparison to other Nintendo systems.
Tim_Allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tim_Allen
Member since 2007 • 75 Posts
Isnt the Wii games selling well? There are games that sold pretty well from Nintendo and other third parties.irongutvi

If you really call Wii Play and Wii Fit games, most really good games like Twilight Princess and Warioware get passed by.
standalonekuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 standalonekuro
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I think the reason why highly reviewed game sales are not rising is because true hardcore gamers are choosing not to buy them. Why is that? Well I think one of the reasons is that hardcore gamers buy games that come with online support because more replay value and it it not easy to play bootleg games online. They also probably wait until it is cheap enough to buy or they burn them onto DVDs and play them on their modded Wiis.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sepewrath

I think the reason why highly reviewed game sales are not rising is because true hardcore gamers are choosing not to buy them. Why is that? Well I think one of the reasons is that hardcore gamers buy games that come with online support because more replay value and it it not easy to play bootleg games online. They also probably wait until it is cheap enough to buy or they burn them onto DVDs and play them on their modded Wiis.standalonekuro

Well if thats true then they are the reason we will have pet horse 8 on the Wii in a couple of years, while the PS3 and 360 get games like Bioshock and the new Prince of Persia. While I don't think what your saying is necessarily true, the take home message is the so called hardcore gamers arent buying the games, when it takes Metroid Prime 3 3x as long to reach a million copies as it took Resident Evil 4 a port of a 3 yr old game we have a problem. They complain that Nintendo and devs have forgotten the hardcore but its their fault, sells are what drive decisions, when games like No More Heroes and Metroid Prime 3 sit on the shelves while games like Wii Play sells millions of copies, if you were a dev what message would you get.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mitu123
I like this topic, lets keep it going.
black_ice23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 black_ice23
Member since 2003 • 1288 Posts
its all sad but true
Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

... While I don't think what your saying is necessarily true, the take home message is the so called hardcore gamers arent buying the games, when it takes Metroid Prime 3 3x as long to reach a million copies as it took Resident Evil 4 a port of a 3 yr old game we have a problem. They complain that Nintendo and devs have forgotten the hardcore but its their fault, sells are what drive decisions, when games like No More Heroes and Metroid Prime 3 sit on the shelves while games like Wii Play sells millions of copies, if you were a dev what message would you get.

Sepewrath

Why all this focus on hardcores' buying behavior? Hardcores aren't driving the sales of the Wii consoles so why should you expect them to drive the sales of Wii software?

Review scores don't matter to the majority of Wii owners because they didn't buy the Wii because they wanted to play critically acclaimed games - they bought the Wii for the motion controls and to play mini games like those found on Wii Play. It should be no shock that a game like No More Heroes didn't sell better - its not the type of game that most Wii owners bought the system to play. Its like expecting a bunch of hardcore action movie fans to ignore the latest summer blockbuster to go out and see an oscar-award winning French artsy type film. It's not gonna happen.

If you want to bring the hardcore gamers into the discussion -- and you are assuming that hardcore gamers are influenced by good reviews when buying games -- then the fact that good reviews ≠ sales increase is a sign that the percentage of hardcore gamers that own the Wii is not significant in comparison to the number of non-hardcore gamers that own a Wii. It doesn't mean that hardcore gamers aren't buying hardcore games, it just means that there are not enough of them to make a difference in the sales percentages.

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 garrett_duffman

ive got to say, the reaoning is simple:

nintendo likes the " casuals" the usual non-gamers. non gamers buy what they think looks good, not what someone TELLS us to buy. how they decide what they want? ADVERTSING. what are some of the highest rated games out there? ill tell you what. games without alot of advertising. the other competiting consoled appeal more to the general gamer ( i refuse to say hardcore, they are of a dying breed ), who understands what is good and bad in a game, and can make an informed decision based on what they read via other sources. the casual gamer is to blame for this more than pointless statistic, but its not necessarily a bad thing, they are just more... for lack of a better term innocent, and unknowing of the gaming... things

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sepewrath
I know that casual gamers make up the majority of Wii owners, but its not like were talking 100,00 hardcore gamers or even 800,000. There are millions of gamers who consider themeselves hardcore and are Wii owners, and just look at the numbers Galaxy and Brawl both with about 7million in sells, Zelda with near 5million in sells, of course those are the golden franchises but casual gamers wont buy those games. Maybe some would get Galaxy but they wouldnt be getting Brawl and Zelda, so obviously that means among the massive fanbase of the Wii there is a substantial number of hardcore gamers. The problem is they only buy Nintendo games that are geared to the hardcore, there are enough hardcore gamers to make each hardcore title a million seller. I mean No More Heroes and Medal of Honor combined didnt sell as well as deca sport and there is no reason for that. and when devs see that they figure why try, so yes I am coming down on the buying behavior of hardcore gamers because their inactivity is what devs are looking at.
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 garrett_duffman

1. There are millions of gamers who consider themeselves hardcore and are Wii owners,

2. and just look at the numbers Galaxy and Brawl both with about 7million in sells, Zelda with near 5million in sells, of course those are the golden franchises but casual gamers wont buy those games.

3.Maybe some would get Galaxy but they wouldnt be getting Brawl and Zelda, so obviously that means among the massive fanbase of the Wii there is a substantial number of hardcore gamers.

The problem is they only buy Nintendo games that are geared to the hardcore, there are enough hardcore gamers to make each hardcore title a million seller. I mean No More Heroes and Medal of Honor combined didnt sell as well as deca sport and there is no reason for that.

and when devs see that they figure why try, so yes I am coming down on the buying behavior of hardcore gamers because their inactivity is what devs are looking at.Sepewrath

im not trying to be rude dividing your post, i just have things that i want to set aside in the post.

1. anybody can consider themselves " hardcore" it doesnt make what they see good or bad THAT much different, everybody has tastes for certain games

2.both mario AND SSBB were advertised quite well, so you cant blame the good sales on the hardcore gamer, even LOZ was advertised a little at launch, and since the system was new, alot of the people who bought wii's saw that and decided to buy that as well. the fact that not alot of casual gamers wanted LOZ caused the lesser sales.

3. once again, the casual gamer will but ANYTHING that appeals to their fancy, they are uneducated, and that doesnt keep them from buying both gold and dirt, they dont know the difference. you cant look at sales and say " hardcore" and " casual" because its a combined effort ALWAYS.

4. neither MOH or NMH was advertised very well, and a sports game really needs NO advertising. people look at that and they see " nice fun family game, just like wii sports but with different things" when they look at MOH they see " guns... and lots of them, and war" and NHM, they see "rated M, with a lightsaber, and red in the background, NOT suitable for my children"

im not trying to kick dirt at your points, just trying to keep the debate going lol, those are good points

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
What Wii game out there has gotten a high score lately?
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

What Wii game out there has gotten a high score lately?firefox59

Boom Blox, Madden 09, Tiger Woods 09, and Rock Band (all EA games...) have all recieved good scores in the past four months.

Out of them, Rock Band is the only one to meet small sales (due to GH:WT having most the features missing), and the other three had solid advertising campaigns to drive sales up.

Heh, you just made me prove everyone here wrong.

Avatar image for SpaceMountain86
SpaceMountain86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SpaceMountain86
Member since 2006 • 728 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

chris3116

Awesome post. And I agree that the hardcore market will be a niche market sooner rather than later. I do believe, however, that one system will still cater to mostly hardcore gamers. Wheter that's Sony, MS, or EA (who I believe will be entering the hardware market soon) has yet to be seen...

VegetaJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 VegetaJr
Member since 2006 • 1437 Posts

Not sure about that, SpaceMountain. Making a hardcore gaming system with narrow appeal is now being shown to simply not be very profitable. I see hardcore gaming moving in a big way towards the PC, myself. (PC gaming is very profitable) While the consoles all take the more broad appeal approach of the Wii. As for the TC article, not so sure. Dreamcast, I'm positive, could not have had sales rising with review scores, or it wouldn't be dead, and I'd be replaying Shenmue 3 on it for the billionth time right now. (now that was a hardcore console, and featured the REAL Sega at it's best)

I know review scores have very little impact whatsoever on software sales, so I'd be interested to do more research into why it would affect hardware sales. I think previous dominate consoles simply had the best sales and review scores because they simply attracted the most games from the best developers due to their popularity. Thats different for the Wii because of the casual audience, many developers don't take us seriously, they think we're all Aunt Jane, Gramps, or little Susy who doesn't give a toss about clipping issues and a terrible framerate so long as it has a catchy gimmick and is fun to play in five minute spurts.

tommy--F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tommy--F
Member since 2008 • 502 Posts

wii has attracted many many new casual types to gaming.

these people don't research games/read reviews etc etc

they just buy things either because they are cheap or they are full of waggle "this looks fun" or both

they miss out on the better games.

that's their loss, however it is not so good for the "hardcore" developers, its easier (and cheaper) to just whip up some mini games and slap some pretty colours on the box and call it a day. that stuff sells like hotcakes. companies like money

irongutvi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 irongutvi
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts

I think the reason why highly reviewed game sales are not rising is because true hardcore gamers are choosing not to buy them. Why is that? Well I think one of the reasons is that hardcore gamers buy games that come with online support because more replay value and it it not easy to play bootleg games online. They also probably wait until it is cheap enough to buy or they burn them onto DVDs and play them on their modded Wiis.standalonekuro

and wii gets seriously crappy games too.