Why Sega Failed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

snakes3425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 0

#1 snakes3425
Member since 2008 • 1508 Posts

This has always been something that has bothered why did Sega ultimatly fail in the console market, the Genesis was an amazing system.

dd99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 dd99
Member since 2003 • 2095 Posts

This has always been something that has bothered why did Sega ultimatly fail in the console market, the Genesis was an amazing system.

snakes3425

There were many reasons, one of the biggest was the hype around the ps2 completely overshadowed sega and the dreamcast. As awesome as their old games were, their newer games are very lac-luster. I'm kinda glad there mostly gone, because they are basically a disgrace now

FFuematsufan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 FFuematsufan
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts
I always thought the timing was off when they released a new console. They would be a year or two ahead, and then 2 new consoles that were hyped came along and wiped it away. Sad though.
wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

Ya I think timing was a big factor,it should have come out after the PS2.Another reason why is,I read somewhere,that EA didnt support the Dreamcast and without the major developer behind it it lost ground.

It had good games,I wish it had lasted...well hopefully one day Sega will re-enter the console war and learn from the past.

despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts

I believe SEGA failed because of Bernie Stolar

- He insulted his current hardware at E3
- He wouldn't bring over popular Japanese game because he thought Americans wouldn't like it
- Said No one wants to play RPGs
- Made joke about Tekken causing NAMCO to make TEKKEN an PS2 exclusive

despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts

Ya I think timing was a big factor,it should have come out after the PS2.Another reason why is,I read somewhere,that EA didnt support the Dreamcast and without the major developer behind it it lost ground.

It had good games,I wish it had lasted...well hopefully one day Sega will re-enter the console war and learn from the past.

wildcat2000

SEGA has a bad track record of systems (32x, SEGA CD, SEGA Saturn, and Dreamcast) so many of peopel won't have faith in the new system.

SEGA should remain a game developer, but what I would like to see is that SEGA would let Nintendo EAD (Shigeru Miyamoto) and Team Sonic make a new Sonic Game or even a Ristar game.

N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts

timing, games, comopetition and this:

- He wouldn't bring over popular Japanese game because he thought Americans wouldn't like it

despa1r_fact0r
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts
sega has just failed alot. there are always exceptions though. They did a good job with the Genesis and Gamegear. but other than that........they have made several mistakes over the years. The dreamcast wasnt as bad as the 32x, sega cd, or the saturn, but it still didnt really last. and No we will not see another Sega console. They are not even a good software publisher now. sadly....
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

SEGA has a bad track record of systems (32x, SEGA CD, SEGA Saturn, and Dreamcast) so many of peopel won't have faith in the new system.

SEGA should remain a game developer, but what I would like to see is that SEGA would let Nintendo EAD (Shigeru Miyamoto) and Team Sonic make a new Sonic Game or even a Ristar game.

despa1r_fact0r

did you just call the CD, Saturn and Dreamcast failures?

know that I'm not accussing you of anything

BLBLAKERS10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 BLBLAKERS10
Member since 2007 • 1280 Posts
Idk why they failed but I have the sega gennesis collection for PS2 and its pretty good..:)
Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#11 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts

I was just following the Sonic series and soon after Sonic The Hedgehog, their games seemed to suck really bad.

I was never really a fan of SEGA so I never knew what was happening to them until Sonic 2k6 :|

-Sphere-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 -Sphere-
Member since 2008 • 1063 Posts
Bad timing and bad marketing.
Uzunoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Uzunoff
Member since 2006 • 43 Posts
It was their choice of media, similar to the N64 in the last gen. It wasn't as drastic as the cartridge to the CD-Rom, but it was enough to detour developers due to cost. The Dreamcast used a modified CD-ROM exclusive to them as opposed to the PS2 which used the universally accepted and cheap DVD-ROM. This is why Sony was the most successful in the PS and PS2 gens, and why Microsoft has been able to make a successful entry. They've used universally accepted media as well. And also Nintendo FINALLY came around with the Wii and look how successful that system has been.
loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

#14 loopy_101
Member since 2005 • 28044 Posts

I'd say it was the following reasons:

• People lost faith in Sega - especially after the failure of Sega Saturn
  • The Dreamcast lacked a DVD player, the main selling point of PS2
  • Sega were supporting too many consoles at the same time, giving little reason to change system
  • The Dreamcast had poor advertising campagins including "It's Thinking"
  • Many developers simply didn't take the Dreamcast seriously, it lacked real third party support.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts
Bad Management.
drteeth3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 drteeth3
Member since 2006 • 49 Posts

Sega did a lot of things wrong but for me the biggest problem was the games. Sega has a great library of IPs and did they make it to dreamcast? Not most of them. Some good ones did but it just wasnt enough. A few that should have are:

*panzer dragoon or saga

*shining force

*shining the holy ark

*a true phantasy star (not online)

dont forget some of the huge sega arcade games at the time like

*starwars trilogy

*lost world Jurassic park

Plus all the classic stuff from the 8 and 16bit era like

*miracle warriors

*space harrier

*golvellius

*wonderboy

*shining in the darkness

Nintendo has survived because of one reason, making sure their first party software was the best on the systems. Even if they would have done this they still wouldnt have beat the ps2 but they might have been able to stay alive and fight again.

Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hulabaloza
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts

They didn't stick behind their hardware. After the Genesis gave them good footing in the hardware business, they wasted it by releasing a bunch of products - Sega CD, 32X, etc - that only confused customers and were barely supported by anyone BUT Sega.

What it comes back to is bad marketing.

JayUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 JayUK
Member since 2004 • 299 Posts

It's been mentioned a few times already but I agree. Sega fans and general gamers were put off by the Sega/Mega CD, 32X and the Saturn. Even though the Dreamcast was a good machine peoples faith in Sega was rock bottom.

I'd love them to bring out a new system in the future.

Meska2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Meska2
Member since 2006 • 392 Posts

I think it was pretty much the lack of third-party developers, considering Sony was pulling them all in to the Playstation 2. But yeah id have to agree, Sega's timing was brutal, for example the Gamegear. it was far ahead the Nintendo Gameboy, as it had a color screen and better controls, it just lacked the games.

But i had always heard that Microsoft had Bought the Sega hardware team and started work on the Xbox. So if that were to be true, wouldn't the xbox be just the next thing to what would have been sega's next console? well i just heard that. i don;t really have any source, expect it was in a magazine. that, or im crazy =D

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
SEGA failed because they had ADD. At one point, they were supporting the Master System, the Genesis, the SEGA CD, the Game Gear, the 32X, the arcades, and the Saturn at the same time. SEGA of America wasn't even aware that SEGA of Japan was about to release the Saturn, so they went and created the 32X. The SEGA CD and 32X should never have existed. SEGA should have dropped the Master System when the Genesis got going, and dropped the Genesis when the Saturn got going. All the good SEGA CD and 32X games should have been put on the Saturn. The Saturn also should've been a lot less complicated (hardware-wise). It was a very powerful system, but its many processors and memory banks ultimately made it very difficult to develop for and very expensive. If it were cheaper and easier to develop for, it would've sold much better and gotten much better third party support. They also shouldn't have gone with the "surprise launch" in America. They should've heavily advertised the system, and launched it with Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix along with the actual Saturn launch games. If they had done all of that, the Saturn would've succeeded commercially everywhere, instead of just in Japan. They would have been able to bring all of those great Japanese Saturn games to the states, and they would've had a hell of a lot more money before making the Dreamcast. With good memories of the Saturn fresh in their minds and no bad memories of past failures, consumers would've warmed up to the Dreamcast much better than they did (because it would have better support, better advertising, and probably more powerful hardware). SEGA would still be around as a console manufacturer today.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
Internal rivalries (particularly between the American and Japanese branches) and bad management by people like Bernie Stolar ultimately doomed Sega. It's quite a shame, as they had some great games to offer...(I'm itching to play Segagaga right now, but I'm not a hardcore Sega fan and I don't understand Japanese.) Were it not for bad management, I'm sure that they'd still be making consoles as well as games today.
TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts
When dreamcast came out I wanted it BADLY. I played the sonic adventure demo in store which happens to be sonics last great game before FAIL! I believe that dreamcast also had better graphics then PS2 but didnt have the games to back it up. Sad because the best times I ever had on a console happens to be a Sega and a sega dreamcast.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
When dreamcast came out I wanted it BADLY. I played the sonic adventure demo in store which happens to be sonics last great game before FAIL! I believe that dreamcast also had better graphics then PS2 but didnt have the games to back it up. Sad because the best times I ever had on a console happens to be a Sega and a sega dreamcast.TrooperManaic
The Dreamcast was NOT more powerful than the PS2. PS2 specs: 294mhz CPU 147mhz GPU 36MB total RAM Dreamcast specs: 200mhz CPU 100mhz GPU 26MB total RAM
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

[QUOTE="TrooperManaic"]When dreamcast came out I wanted it BADLY. I played the sonic adventure demo in store which happens to be sonics last great game before FAIL! I believe that dreamcast also had better graphics then PS2 but didnt have the games to back it up. Sad because the best times I ever had on a console happens to be a Sega and a sega dreamcast.famicommander
The Dreamcast was NOT more powerful than the PS2. PS2 specs: 294mhz CPU 147mhz GPU 36MB total RAM Dreamcast specs: 200mhz CPU 100mhz GPU 26MB total RAM

at the time some Dreamcast games looked better than PS2 games.

kind of like 3600 and PS3 today, some 360 games look better, but eventually PS3 will have better looking games.

SEGA didn't fail. You failed SEGA.

Red_Trigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Red_Trigger
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts
Yes the Genesis was pretty awesome, but Sega released the Dreamcast before the other major next gen consoles (PS2, XBOX, GC)at the time hit the market. Their was so much hype around the PS2 and XBOX that the Dreamcast became that one "popular kid" who no one obsessed about at all. Overall the Dreamcast quickly failed.
TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

thats what I am trying to say BTW the 360 and ps3 will have simular grapix by the time they mature.

FB3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FB3
Member since 2008 • 403 Posts

Yes, many reasons. The first big contributing reason was the Genesis add-ons, which proved to be a true waste of money to those who bought them (the Sega CD and Sega 32X). There was minimal improvement to the old Genesis hardware in these, and they had extremely few worthwhile titles.

The Sega 32X has a big more story to it. In January 1994, they ordered their team to construct another add-on to be released late that year in time for the holidays. The bad thing was Sega's divisions weren't communicating very well at all, because they didn't even know that Sega of Japan was making a brand new, full-fledged 32-bit console that would become the Sega Saturn. Because they were too far in the 32X's development to cancel it, they had to release it, and it failed miserably. Some developers claimed they literally received the development kits for both the 32X and Saturn at the same time, and that's not necessarily a good thing in this case.

The Sega Saturn was also a very rough release. Its hardware developers literally built its motherboard with 2 CPUs (tremendous at that time) and about 6 other processors. This not only meant a higher price tag than the PlayStation, though it would be extremely hard to develop for. Another note is that the Saturn's graphics system was quadrilateral-based, not triangle-based. Quadrilaterals are better looking, though everyone was used to the triangle-based system and many decided to just not develop for it.

It also met very unbalanced levels of success from region-to-region. In America, the thing barely even took off, though in Japan it was actually a successful console in a very good competition against Sony. Then came a wise man we could all learn from (one way or another): Bernie Stolar. He's the guy who made the iconic "The Saturn is not our future" statement and made everyone really start to hate Sega. American gamers felt ripped off, while Japanese gamers didn't understand why they were basically announcing another console so soon with the Saturn being a success there. Either way, some developers like EA decided to go against Sega from then on and vow to never release anymore of their games on another Sega console.

So then came the Dreamcast. It did prove to be a big step forward for Sega, and it's pint-sized form factor with powerhouse capabilities (for 1999, of course) was a definite plus, though most gamers were done with Sega now. Sony announced their PlayStation 2 later on, which basically stabbed the Dreamcast in the back. Then it was released and Nintendo and Microsoft announced their entries in the competition, all of which continued to stab the Dreamcast just to make sure it was dead. So ended Sega's long reign in gaming consoles. (Longer than Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo actually.)

To make a long story short, they made some very bad decisions which latered proved fatal to their spot as game console manufacturer. Kind of like Atari, though they didn't improve with their last console.

Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

[QUOTE="TrooperManaic"]When dreamcast came out I wanted it BADLY. I played the sonic adventure demo in store which happens to be sonics last great game before FAIL! I believe that dreamcast also had better graphics then PS2 but didnt have the games to back it up. Sad because the best times I ever had on a console happens to be a Sega and a sega dreamcast.famicommander

One big difference I tend to notice between the two is the PS2's ability to generate reflective surfaces. Something I never ever saw in a Dreamcast game. The lighting in the PS2's first generation games was what, I think, made it seem so impressive at the time generally. But sometimes it seems there's no pleasing casual gamers. Lack of games was the reason people ignored the very powerful Saturn in favour of the PlayStation and yet in 1999/2000, no amount of great games on the Dreamcast mattered in the face of the oh so amazing "Emotion Engine". Ugh

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts

[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="TrooperManaic"]When dreamcast came out I wanted it BADLY. I played the sonic adventure demo in store which happens to be sonics last great game before FAIL! I believe that dreamcast also had better graphics then PS2 but didnt have the games to back it up. Sad because the best times I ever had on a console happens to be a Sega and a sega dreamcast.Menalque2

One big difference I tend to notice between the two is the PS2's ability to generate reflective surfaces. Something I never ever saw in a Dreamcast game. The lighting in the PS2's first generation games was what, I think, made it seem so impressive at the time generally. But sometimes it seems there's no pleasing casual gamers. Lack of games was the reason people ignored the very powerful Saturn in favour of the PlayStation and yet in 1999/2000, no amount of great games on the Dreamcast mattered in the face of the oh so amazing "Emotion Engine". Ugh

There were several reason, many of them already mentioned. The Sega CD and the 32X were big mistakes, by the time the Saturn came about a lot of people who bought the 32X felt betrayed. Also, it didn't help matters much that Saturn launched with very few games and a rushed version of Virtua Fighter. The Saturn was designed to be the Ultimate 2D sprite pushing hardware. Saturn's versions of Capcom's arcade fighters were greatly supperior that those found in PS1, but PS1 was more powerful when it came to 3D graphics. Sega at the time did not read the taste of consumers properly, people wanted to play 3D games, not more 2D sidescrollers. Also remember that PS1 had some killer apps like Ridge Racer and Tekken that were arcade perfect. Also. many Multiplatform 3D games like Tomb Raider and WipeOut (yes WipeOut 1 appeared on Saturn) looked far better on Sony's hardware. The Saturn had a extra processor literaly grafted into the motherboard after the announcement that PS1 was gonna be a 3D centric system. The Saturn was never intended to have 3D capabilities, that is why it was such a nigthmare to program for. An even so it had some of the best games that Sega has made: Figther's Megamix, Burning Rangers, Daytona, even the original Dead or Alive which played better than the one on PS1. Years later, when the Dreamcast release, people's trust in Sega was severely damaged, remember that Saturn lacked support from developers and Sega of America did not brought over a lot of the titles that were being released in Japan. PS1 was a huge success so buying its sucessor was a sure thing, while the Dreamcast was a dissapointment in the making in the eyes of a lot of fans. I owned a DreamCast and I played Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure to death, I loved the system but I was not blind to the fact that Sega had done some serious mistakes in the past and that DC was their last chance. A lot of people decided to skip over the DC in favor of the PS2 and that is what finally killed Sega as a hardware holder. Ironically enough, a lot of the titles that were exclusive to the DC ended up on PS2, Gamecube and even Xbox: Code Veronica, Rez, Space Channel 5, Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue 2. Either Sega became a 3rd Party or face complete bankrupcy. The rest is history.
snakes3425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

#31 snakes3425
Member since 2008 • 1508 Posts

There are a lot of reasons, including the realease of both the PS2 and Xbox but this one line at E3 was the ultimate nail in the coffin. "Saturn is not our future"

Blue_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Blue_Panda
Member since 2006 • 1293 Posts
they launched in between 2 gens of consoles. and then the ps2 came out, and it ownd it sadly because it had dvd.
Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts
[QUOTE="Menalque2"]

[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="TrooperManaic"]When dreamcast came out I wanted it BADLY. I played the sonic adventure demo in store which happens to be sonics last great game before FAIL! I believe that dreamcast also had better graphics then PS2 but didnt have the games to back it up. Sad because the best times I ever had on a console happens to be a Sega and a sega dreamcast.SciFiCat

There were several reason, many of them already mentioned. The Sega CD and the 32X were big mistakes, by the time the Saturn came about a lot of people who bought the 32X felt betrayed. Also, it didn't help matters much that Saturn launched with very few games and a rushed version of Virtua Fighter. The Saturn was designed to be the Ultimate 2D sprite pushing hardware. Saturn's versions of Capcom's arcade fighters were greatly supperior that those found in PS1, but PS1 was more powerful when it came to 3D graphics. Sega at the time did not read the taste of consumers properly, people wanted to play 3D games, not more 2D sidescrollers. Also remember that PS1 had some killer apps like Ridge Racer and Tekken that were arcade perfect. Also. many Multiplatform 3D games like Tomb Raider and WipeOut (yes WipeOut 1 appeared on Saturn) looked far better on Sony's hardware. The Saturn had a extra processor literaly grafted into the motherboard after the announcement that PS1 was gonna be a 3D centric system. The Saturn was never intended to have 3D capabilities, that is why it was such a nigthmare to program for. An even so it had some of the best games that Sega has made: Figther's Megamix, Burning Rangers, Daytona, even the original Dead or Alive which played better than the one on PS1. Years later, when the Dreamcast release, people's trust in Sega was severely damaged, remember that Saturn lacked support from developers and Sega of America did not brought over a lot of the titles that were being released in Japan. PS1 was a huge success so buying its sucessor was a sure thing, while the Dreamcast was a dissapointment in the making in the eyes of a lot of fans. I owned a DreamCast and I played Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure to death, I loved the system but I was not blind to the fact that Sega had done some serious mistakes in the past and that DC was their last chance. A lot of people decided to skip over the DC in favor of the PS2 and that is what finally killed Sega as a hardware holder. Ironically enough, a lot of the titles that were exclusive to the DC ended up on PS2, Gamecube and even Xbox: Code Veronica, Rez, Space Channel 5, Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue 2. Either Sega became a 3rd Party or face complete bankrupcy. The rest is history.

I'm not sure how true that story about the 3D technology being thrown into the Saturn at the last minute is. All I know is that, 3D system or not, it could have done A LOT better if Sega of America hadn't been such idiots wrecklessly marketing the Saturn (not to mention creating the 32X). And contrary to popular belief, the Saturn's launch line-up wasjust as good, if not better, than the PlayStation's. It had Astal, Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter, where the only ones I remember for the PS1 were Ridge Racer, Twisted Metal, cheap VF rip-off Tekken and the mediocre Battle Arena Toshinden. The Saturn's potential was staggering compared to how hopeless the Dreamcast's situation was from the beginning and yet they blew it in so many different ways. They effectively lied about the launch date, angering retailers and consumers and sold it at an unreasonably hefty price. The little advertising it received was mostly silly anti-PlayStation mudslinging. Their next huge mistake was hiring ex-SCEA exec Bernie Stolar who would then implement a strict policy on shooters, fighting games and RPG's and even refused to have something as mainstream as Dead or Alive localised. If that wasn't bad enough, people in the industry are said to have found him insufferable and impossible to work with and blamed him for the lack of support the Saturn got in the West. The final nail in the Saturn's coffin was Stolar announcing in 1997 "Saturn is not our future" in reference to the upcoming Dreamcast. Sales for the system plummeted from that point on.

So I disagree that the Saturn had been misjudged from the getgo. It was a system tailored to cutting edge gaming and had every reason to do well until the 32X and the US launch came along. I'm not putting all of the blame on Sega of America though. The fact that Sega's head office never held them to account just shows how indecisive and weak their leadership was becoming.

Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

despa1r_fact0r

I agree. This seemed to contribute a large portion of SEGA's fall.

But I can't believe no one has mentioned the fact that SEGA failed to release a real Sonic game for the Saturn.

At the time, (and after $300 of my Mom's hard earned money) that was like a stab in the back...or maybe in the face.

Either way, it seemed pretty hard to recover from that F-up.

Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

And contrary to popular belief, the Saturn's launch line-up wasjust as good, if not better, than the PlayStation's. It had Astal, Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter, where the only ones I remember for the PS1 were Ridge Racer, Twisted Metal, cheap VF rip-off Tekken and the mediocre Battle Arena Toshinden.

Menalque2

Actually, Saturn was released early as part of a 'surprise release', which as it turns out, was not such a great idea.

Launch titles, via Wikipedia:

Saturn U.S. launch: May, 1995

• Virtua Fighter
  • Panzer Dragoon
  • Daytona USA

PlayStation U.S. launch: September 9, 1995

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • ESPN Extreme Games
  • Kileak - The DNA Imperative
  • NBA JAM Tournament Edition
  • Power Serve 3D Tennis
  • Raiden Project
  • Rayman
  • Ridge Racer
  • Street Fighter: The Movie
  • Total Eclipse Turbo

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Sega failed because of a serious lack of funds and a general lack of confidence in their own product the DC. Early DC games were easily on par with early ps2 titles but sonys hype machine convinced the general public their machine was vastly superior despite the actual games failing to completely wow people.

Im convinced that if Sega had stuck in the game they could have made a bigger impact in the business against the opposition, all it would have taken is confidence in ur own product and the DC really was a great machine.

Titles and peripherals like Sega Bass Fishing with its rod controller were very cool and ground breakin games like Jet Set Radio which started the whole cell shading theme, if that wasnt enough it had completely unique games like Seaman, the like of which have never been seen since on any other format.

Even with all that Sega felt they couldnt compete against sony so they rolled over and surrendered before the fight ever really got goin.