My Wii is making funny disc drive noises....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Speedy454545
Member since 2007 • 1311 Posts

I was just playing Metroid Prime 3 when I suddenly took notice to the noises my disc drive was making. It was pretty loud, and every now and then it would make this kind of loud humming noise. (Hard to describe the exact sound) Its not a constant buzz, its kinda like "buzzz....buzzzz.....buz" then stops for abit then does it agian.

Now it was the first time I have played Metroid Prime 3 in a while. But all my other games from memory did not make sounds like this.

So is this normal? Its really not THAT loud but its noticeable, maybe its just my game?

This is not early signs of a faulty disc drive is it?

(None of my games have ever been scratched and I have never had a disc read error before)

XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts
does it make that noise when you are opening a door to a big room and it takes a few seconds to load? because i can hear my disk spin hard core what im opening doors. but it no buzzing sound, it more like a verry soft hummm to a disc hault
DriftRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 DriftRS
Member since 2004 • 3491 Posts
yeah, my Wii likes to be noisy too, dunno why, guess it just stoopid *kicks Wii*
Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Speedy454545

does it make that noise when you are opening a door to a big room and it takes a few seconds to load? because i can hear my disk spin hard core what im opening doors. but it no buzzing sound, it more like a verry soft hummm to a disc haultXxAK47xX

Yeah it is actually more like a humming sound, though I wouldnt really call it soft sometimes it can get a little loud.

It kinda just sounds like its loading, but it does get quite loud.

Is this a problem with my Wii or is it just normal?

Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Speedy454545

I cannot explain the sound lol, it does not sound to bad. I just have never noticed it that loud before.

It goes "Hummmmmmmm..........Hummmm.......Hum" every now and then, sounds like that. It can get quite loud.

But I experience no lag or anything in my game, no scratched disk and no disk read errors at all.

Is this noise just normal because its trying to load the game?

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
Mine did the same thing as yours i think. it sounded like the disc was rubbing againist something. It only happened when it got left on for like 2 days without knowing, then the next time i went to use it, it was making that noise. I stoped using it for a couple of days and havent had that problem again. Dont know if that helped.
Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Speedy454545

The noise is so hard do describe lol. You know when you first put your Wii Disc in and you can hear the disc drive buzz a few times to load the game.

It sounds like that but it happens during the game sometimes.

Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Speedy454545

Hmm I will try putting some other games in tomorrow.

Maybe its just because MP3 is a big game with better graphics, and the disk needs to spin faster to load the game and it makes a louder noise.

WMDfreeman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WMDfreeman99
Member since 2007 • 1874 Posts
Its becuase of MP3. i have notuiced the sametimes when i play mine...no other game makes that noise..dont worrie your wii is fine
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

I picked up and played MP3 for the first time in a few months a few weeks ago and for the first time I heard this loud buzzing sound that actually sounded like it was static coming through my TV speakers. I turned off the TV and I still heard it and it was coming from my Wii. It was loud enough where I had to turn up the TV. Since I found out I could have my warranty extended by registering my Wii, I did that and had it sent in immediately since I was going to be out of town for a week any ways. I did it because I read so many issues about buzzing on these forums. It was probably a bit quick to pull the trigger on sending it in but I figured since I had the warrenty I might as well have a fixed up wii and a new warranty.

rees263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rees263
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I have a similar noise problem with my wii.

MP3 has always made noises with me, and it only happens sometimes when I'm trying to go through a door, it just sounds like it's loading (and sometimes it seems to take forever!) so I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a new noise however - in the last couple of days my wii makes noise whenever a disc is inserted - it's like I can hear it whirring around in there, and it is far too loud to be healthy in my opinion. I've had the wii for over a year and it's never done this before, only in the last couple of days, and it makes the noise for all my games, including GC ones. Something that needs fixing?

I've thought about taking it into a shop, will that do any good? Anyone else had the same thing?

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
My drive makes sounds liek the motor is dying already, but it works fine. Not sure why, Nintendo products usually last forever, but this time, we'll see.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

I have a similar noise problem with my wii.

MP3 has always made noises with me, and it only happens sometimes when I'm trying to go through a door, it just sounds like it's loading (and sometimes it seems to take forever!) so I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a new noise however - in the last couple of days my wii makes noise whenever a disc is inserted - it's like I can hear it whirring around in there, and it is far too loud to be healthy in my opinion. I've had the wii for over a year and it's never done this before, only in the last couple of days, and it makes the noise for all my games, including GC ones. Something that needs fixing?

I've thought about taking it into a shop, will that do any good? Anyone else had the same thing?

rees263

Don't take it to a shop. If you registered your wii at nintendo.com then you get a year and 3 month warranty. If your warranty is still available then call Nintendo and have them fix it because it will be for free and then you get a new warranty so if you register it again when you get it back then you get a year and 3 month warranty again! Nintendo customer service is great. I sent mine in and checked nintendo.com and I should finally be getting it back after about 2 and a half weeks. If you take it to a shop then I think it voids the warranty and it will cost you money.

Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Speedy454545

It just kind of sounds like its trying to load the disk, but pretty loudly. I cannot use my Wii right now, but I will see later if another game does it.

Now about this extra 3 months warranty, I live in Australia. The Nintendo Australia website does not have the extended 3 month warranty, so what should I do?

armyboy2100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 armyboy2100
Member since 2007 • 92 Posts
ya mine makes noise too...mine makes a clicking noise when it loads...im guessing thats bad?
KingBowser91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KingBowser91
Member since 2007 • 2638 Posts

I also hear that sound when playing MP3.

Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Speedy454545
So you guys think its just the game MP3 requires more loading and stuff which is why it makes my noises?
Avatar image for shadimoscouplos
shadimoscouplos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shadimoscouplos
Member since 2004 • 1572 Posts

this happened with me with scarface after i didnt play it for a month. and soon the error started comin up so i got rid of it fast.

u know when u put a disc in and it makes that huge clicking noice like twice then goes away, does it keep going on when u play, cause with scarface it would buzz hum click and i got afraid so, yea idk.

Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Speedy454545

Well I just played Zelda and it worked perfectly, no noise at all.

Maybe its just the Metroid game. Come to think of it, MP3 does not have that many loading screens does it? Maybe it just loads itself on the run which causes the Wii to buzz a little louder and a little more often.

killer1733

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 killer1733
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
If any one is reading this almost all my wii games make that noise i have had it for like 3 years now. the solution is to sometimes lean the wii over or flip it upside down
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

The Wii just has a noisy disc drive. You'll notice it a lot in MP3 because you're standing there in front of a door, waiting for the game to load, and nothing's going on, so the game gets quiet, and the noise really stands out. I got my Wii at launch, and it's still working like a champ, noises and all.

Itsthetruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Itsthetruth
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts

Actually i think the Wii is quite silence compared to my laptop or my X360. I can hear loadings and stuff (as pointed before, Metroid is the game where it is most noticeable) but that's because the rest is quiet, no huge fan blowing air, no constant noise in the background.