Connect ps3 to laptop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Deki_mal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Deki_mal
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Im just wondering whether i can connect my ps3 to my laptop and use it like an ordinary monitor. Before you say anything I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 and I have DVI and VGA input. Im pretty sure I have a HDMI port too but i dont know if thats for input or output. I have tried connecting the ps3 to the DVI port using a HDMI-to-DVI cable. I dont know how to make my laptop act like a normal monitor. I have a max resolution of 1920x1200 on my laptop and an Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS Go graphics card. Is there some other software i need? Is what im trying to do even possible?

Other PC specs (I dont thing theyre nescessary but here anyway):

Windows XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
50GB free HD space

Her0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Her0
Member since 2003 • 118 Posts
Unfortunately no, your laptop has DVI out, S-Video Out and VGA out, which mean laptop monitor can not receive another picture source from these ports, input source already in-use and has no option to use alternative one, and thats how laptop monitors works, as opposed normal monitors can work on different devices such as PC and PS3.
gowthamspa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 gowthamspa
Member since 2007 • 1847 Posts

What if the laptop has tv tuner card? It will have an input right.

Her0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Her0
Member since 2003 • 118 Posts
yep, you could use external tv tuner card device too
omegabeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 omegabeer
Member since 2005 • 160 Posts
I have a HDMI port (HP DV9540us) and my graphic chipset is Geforce 8600 GS, so I assume it has HDCP on it. Will it work?
Elhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Elhan
Member since 2004 • 104 Posts

So how would one go about connecting a PS3 to a laptop via an external TV tuner? Which models support the PS3? My laptop is an Acer 5920G (1.83GHZ model).

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Laptops only have video outs. I know of no laptop that uses the HDMI, DVI or VGA port as an input.

I also know of no TV tuners that support a high definition video signal via component or HDMI - you're limited to HD cable or antenna broadcasts.

Which means that you're stuck playing your PS3 via standard composite inputs at 480i, which is just nasty.

Elhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Elhan
I don't mind too much, it's only once or twice I need to use this particular function of the TV tuner. Can one just use cables then? Which cables would one look for?
CryoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CryoGoblin
Member since 2008 • 343 Posts
the av cables that came with the ps3
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

I don't mind too much, it's only once or twice I need to use this particular function of the TV tuner. Can one just use cables then? Which cables would one look for?Elhan

Well, usually TV Tuners have composite, S Video or Component inputs. You could just use the composite cables that came with your PS3.

lomsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lomsha
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts
Actually it's not that bad with a tv tuner card or box, their is no delay and the image is as good if not better than a sdtv, i guess it depends on your laptop and the card you are using.
Elhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Elhan
Well okay I guess I should be asking then which external TV tuners support the PS3? All of them or just certain models?
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Denji

Well okay I guess I should be asking then which external TV tuners support the PS3? All of them or just certain models?Elhan

All TV tuners have an input. It doesn't matter what you connect to it, it's all the same. The tuner thinks it's a TV, your PS3 will think it's a TV. It's all the same.

Elhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Elhan

Cool, thanks for the help. I guess I'll go for this one then:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000VOGQE4/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A15VB89EFO68SH

fazywazy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fazywazy11
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
hi, i have the new dell studio 17 laptop and was wondering if the hdmi slot is a hdmi out or input slot? i would like to connect my ps3 to m laptop and was wondering if it was possible
kurranjandu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kurranjandu
Can i connect the ps3 to my laptop by any chance? i don't know whether it has hdmi input or not.. The laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio F50-11Y...
Turjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Turjj
And how would i go about doing so? i really wanna know how to do it!!! lol
xvtsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xvtsai
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

NOPE. You cant do it. The laptop ( as well as 99.99% of all the other laptops out there) have HDMI OUT which means you can connect the laptop to a HDTV but NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Connecting a PS3 to the laptop wont do anything

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Denji

NOPE. You cant do it. The laptop ( as well as 99.99% of all the other laptops out there) have HDMI OUT which means you can connect the laptop to a HDTV but NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Connecting a PS3 to the laptop wont do anything

xvtsai

*sigh* Check the date

herukuti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 herukuti
Member since 2009 • 379 Posts

before i got a dedicated monitor with hdmi for ps3 i used my usb hdtv gt by on air, it does not have driver support for linux though so your laptop or pc will have to be windows based; from my experience with both there is a bit of lag.the hdtv tuner i listed is around the same price as a "cheap" hd monitor like an asus or acer 21.5 inch. there was i believe either a toshiba or samsung laptop model that had hdmi input; but video input of any sort is very rare for laptops.im sure some people here have setups with their pc and tv tuner cards and im not sure how their lag is; i suppose its dependent on the video card. the way it works for a laptop as the way i had my gt hooked up; the signal from ps3 went to the tuner from tuner to laptop from laptop to secondary or laptop screen.

dongabilondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dongabilondo
Member since 2009 • 333 Posts

Um, I don't really understand most of what is being discussed here, but I would like to connect my PS3 to my Laptop as well.

I could provide my computer specs, but I don't know which ones are needed for this. Help please?

denkeljoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 denkeljoy
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I just bought my computer it's a acer z5710 (all-in-one) it has a build in TV tuner, and there's an HDMI plug and eSATA. i wandering if i can connect my PS3 using HDMI cables??? if not what's the use of HDMI in this kind of computer. by the way it is a desktop with 23" screen.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DJ_Lae
I just bought my computer it's a acer z5710 (all-in-one) it has a build in TV tuner, and there's an HDMI plug and eSATA. i wandering if i can connect my PS3 using HDMI cables??? if not what's the use of HDMI in this kind of computer. by the way it is a desktop with 23" screen.denkeljoy
Plug it in and see - in your case it might actually be an HDMI in for the screen, but who knows. The manual might say more, I don't know much about all-in-ones.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DJ_Lae

Um, I don't really understand most of what is being discussed here, but I would like to connect my PS3 to my Laptop as well.

I could provide my computer specs, but I don't know which ones are needed for this. Help please?

dongabilondo
The short answer is you can't. The long answer is that you can buy a USB TV Tuner and connect your PS3 via 480i, which also introduces horrible input lag. The resulting signal will be hideous and delayed by more than a second, making games unplayable. Also, for the price of a good external TV Tuner, you might as well buy a cheap monitor to connect both the laptop and PS3 to.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Denji

What? Read a manual? Use google? Figure it out themselves? THAT'S CRAZY TALK.

They would rather bump a zombie thread for a very simple answer a five year old can figure out. Which, I've already posted a while ago.

Can a mod please lock this thread?

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

The only thing I've heard of working aside from TV tuner is a tape to dvd converter which will probably give a small screen in sd.

coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 coughlanio
Member since 2005 • 4306 Posts
Probably easier to buy a cheap, small monitor with HDMI input than getting a HD PVR.
BenJammin41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BenJammin41
what about a av to usb cable cuz thats only 7 or 8 dollars http://www.amazon.com/EASYCAP-Audio-Video-Capture-Adapter/dp/B0019SSSMY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289522680&sr=8-2
Dkid212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dkid212
Hello guys , i have a new acer ALL-IN-ONE pc ....i connected my ps3 with HDMI port to my monitor ... and don't know how to play on it ... can anyone help me out plz ... maybe a software ??
Dkid212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dkid212
Hello guys , i have a new acer ALL-IN-ONE pc ....i connected my ps3 with HDMI port to my monitor ... and don't know what to do next ? can someone help me out please .Dkid212
NColdhardt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 NColdhardt
Member since 2010 • 713 Posts

... You can connect your PS3 to a laptop. But it depends what you mean by "connect."

If you mean to run your PC on the TV screen, then there are other (much easier) ways to do that without the PS3. It is also possible to run movies and music, that are on your PC, on your ps3. Just download PS3 Media Server and run it. Running hi-res video will be an issue if you're on a wireless connection. Everything else works. :)

Zackerii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zackerii
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Ok i want to buy a PS3. Would i be able to connect it to my Gateway nv54 series and use my labtop as the screen?
brakex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 brakex
LOLzkies... so funny... same laptop brand and model... i dunno if this will help | whack a coincidence!!! | >>>http://www.ehow.com/how_4922510_hook-up-ps-computer-monitor.html | | >>>http://www.yourcablestore.com/HDMI-Male-To-DVI-D-Male-Adapter-HDTV_p_283.html
BDmyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BDmyster
When you say any tuner, is a USB DVB-T TV tuner ok? It is a very different design to the one the one that was posted before, and that was was not available. http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSecure-USB-DVB-T-TV-Tuner/dp/B004ZKGF1Y/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1317108500&sr=8-7 is the address, can you please say if it is ok? and if not, which one is (that is available)?
gansvv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gansvv
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Can I connect my HDMI enabled laptop to PS3? ;-)

I just did.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Such an old thread.

Tomidee

Forum Posts