WOW! XBOX Customer support are a bunch of idiots!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pittongkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 pittongkid
Member since 2007 • 606 Posts

If you have the time to read, thanks.

I am patiently trying to contorl myself while reading the replies coming from them regarding my concern of updating my system via cd.

In this link, it supposed to guide you on how to update your system w/o using XBL via 'burn cd' method. My concern is, when I load the cd, it either says 'mixed media disc' or 'unreadable disc' errors. I'm not sure if I have followed the instructions carefully because its really confusing and let me quote here:

1. Click here to begin downloading the update folder. Save it as "$SystemUpdate_"["date"]".zip" anywhere on your computer
  2. Place a blank disc in your burner.

From Windows Explorer, select Open Writable CD Folder Using Windows Explorer or open the CD drive icon.

3. Drag the zipped $SystemUpdate zip folder to the CD Folder. If the CD write window doesn't open by default, drag and drop folder on the CD/DVD RW drive.XboxDotCom

So does this mean I should burn the downloaded zip file as it is? But followed by the 3rd instruction, a note saying:

Note:

If you are using an earlier version of Windows you will need to open the file using a separate utility (for example, WinZip).XboxDotCom

This means I should extract the file right?

Anyhow, I have done several ways already on burning it. Either extracting the file first or burn it as it is, all the possibilities that it could have. I noticed though that the update file inside DOESN'T have any file extension format at all, the folder only contains an unknown 'su20076000_00000000' file insde. (yes, I have unchecked the 'hide extensions for known file types' option in folder options)

Now I have contacted the customer support and instead of addressing my concern directly, they have replied with all the BS info regarding file formats that the 360 could only read and nothing about the system update. I mean I have clearly explained the scenario that happened and that I was trying to update my system via the burn cd method. So I just replied back not being pissed at first because I was under the impression that they didn't get my point. After that reply, my GOD! the same reply was given but now a by a different person. I replied back again but this time, making it more detailed and even told them to check if the file under that link was correct, for it didn't have any extension format at all...some customer support this is.

Anyway, I did more research from their site and found out about the backward compatibility update. There's also an XBL way and a burn cd way of getting this particular update. For the burn cd way, it was totally different and I will quote again:

By downloading this update, you agree to the software license and other related terms set forth in the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use, located here. Save the update as BackCompat_11-2007.zip—it's about 13MB.

You will need to unzip the file to get the 'default.xex' file out and put it at a location on your computer. If you are using Windows XP, you can simply open the zip file like you would a folder. If you are using an earlier version of Windows you will need a separate utility to open the zip file, like WinZip. Be sure the update is named default.xex

The update will not run automatically unless the file is named 'default.xex' and is the only file on the disc (i.e., not in a folder or directory).

XboxDotCom

I don't know if this is in anyway relevant since it's still a 360 update (btw, I have tried this update and it worked). So I emailed this info to the customer support again and guess what they replied:

We are sorry to hear that you are having this kind of issue. I understand that when you load the burned disc on the console it says mixed media disc. Please make sure that unzipped the file to get the default.xex file out and put it at a location on your computer. If you are using Windows XP, you can simply open the zip file like you would a folder. If you are using an earlier version of Windows you will need a separate utility to open the zip file, like WinZip. Be sure the update is named default.xex

The update will not run automatically unless the file is named 'default.xex' and is the only file on the disc (i.e., not in a folder or directory).
DonOfXboxDotCom

Wow, this are the same lines from the site...now this being the case, where the hell is the 'default.xex' if I'm only getting a su20076000_00000000 file inside the zipped folder?

Can you guys help me out here? I wish you could try to do this method too and let me know your results. Thanks.

GravityHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GravityHammer
Member since 2007 • 100 Posts
I downloaded it and it gave me that su328492038409 garbage too, maybe they forgot to name it default.xex for the fall, try renaming it to default.xex
pittongkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pittongkid

did it work or not, reply dumbasssGravityHammer

why you calling me a dumbass? and it didnt work.

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts

Was the disc you were burning the data to a blank one? Make sure it has nothing else on it. And yes unzip all files before burning them to the disc, and only burn the default.xex file.

Also make sure it's a good brand CD-R/RW, some of the cheaper brands can have trouble.

pittongkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pittongkid

Was the disc you were burning the data to a blank one? Make sure it has nothing else on it. And yes unzip all files before burning them to the disc, and only burn the default.xex file.

Also make sure it's a good brand CD-R/RW, some of the cheaper brands can have trouble.

Hoobinator

Yep. The update I got for the backward compatibility worked for the cd-r that I bought and it had the default.xex file in it. This system update had a garbage file (su20076000_00000000) with no extension file format and renaming it to default.xex just resulted to 'unreadable disc' error. Told the customer to check that file and hopefully they would replace it with the appropriate one.

HellRazer360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HellRazer360
Member since 2006 • 2693 Posts
i have no patience to read all that....so no help here
Benjamin-T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Benjamin-T
Member since 2006 • 1029 Posts

you shouldn't had posted then.

I never had that problem before, but then again, I just bough the 360. Sorry this happened to you.

HellRazer360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HellRazer360
Member since 2006 • 2693 Posts
whoa relax i was joking around...no need to scream and yell at an innocent man:oops:
TigerFangRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 TigerFangRed
Member since 2005 • 1928 Posts
I downloaded it and it gave me that su328492038409 garbage too, maybe they forgot to name it default.xex for the fall, try renaming it to default.xexGravityHammer
It says in the instructions make sure it's named default.xex...I guess that means you have to rename it. Not sure though...sorry I can't help more, but good luck.
dlindenb2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -11

#11 dlindenb2000
Member since 2005 • 4750 Posts

Eh, half the time I get some guy from across the world, who I can't understand, and has never yet been able to help me. They say they have helped me, but they didn't. Last time they even forgot to hit the "Confirm" button so I had to redo my entier repair orde 3 weeks later when I decided to see what was taking so long.

The other half makes up for it though. It's some 20ish guy from north america who understands what I say, and actually helps me. Also, he knows about the product and uses it. While waiting for some things to go thru, I actually had a conversation with him about locations in Mass Effect, and the what rank we were both in COD4.

So yeah, half the time you get an idiot from around the world, but the other half you get the best tech support I've used in along time.

Benjamin-T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Benjamin-T
Member since 2006 • 1029 Posts
dlinden is right. There are always idiot in this world, and some people in xbox customer support fall in the same category.
Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts

Eh, half the time I get some guy from across the world, who I can't understand, and has never yet been able to help me. They say they have helped me, but they didn't. Last time they even forgot to hit the "Confirm" button so I had to redo my entier repair orde 3 weeks later when I decided to see what was taking so long.

The other half makes up for it though. It's some 20ish guy from north america who understands what I say, and actually helps me. Also, he knows about the product and uses it. While waiting for some things to go thru, I actually had a conversation with him about locations in Mass Effect, and the what rank we were both in COD4.

So yeah, half the time you get an idiot from around the world, but the other half you get the best tech support I've used in along time.

dlindenb2000

The tech support on their webpage is written by an American. :?

EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 EnderSR388
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts
I had to use the CD when we got the Spring '06 update. It royaly hosed my system, the update did. So the MS tech had me format my HDD (or something to that effect) and create the update CD. I didn't have any problems back then, like you're having now. Maybe they changed something. Sorry.
LilBrotha706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LilBrotha706
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I GOT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

INSTEAD OF THE ".XEX" EXTENSION I CHANGED IT TO ".XBE"

THE DISC BOOTED AS PLAYABLE

I DID THIS FOR THE BACKWARD COMPATIBILTY UPDATE.

JohnnyGitRDone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 JohnnyGitRDone
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I have read all of your posts. At the very end, LilBrotha706 posted that INSTEAD OF THE ".XEX" EXTENSION I CHANGED IT TO ".XBE". I tried that and it didn't work.

Could LilBrotha706 please walk me through exactly what he did. I know this post is about 5 years old and he might not be available, so anyone who knows what to do would be a BIG help . The program I got is about 7MB, it was said up in this post that the program is 13MB.