Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 iloveflash
Member since 2005 • 4760 Posts

Updates

---Latest update---

The Ultimate Critic 2 is postponed due to lack of participation! I guess there's a first time for everything...

Where the heck is Super Police 3!?

---Previous Update---

The Prestige thread is open! Add a poll to your works and put those portfolios together! :D

Also, the Ultimate Critic 2 is come! Expect it SOON, SO VERY SOON!

---Previous update---

TWL Central begins! ...Again! This section will act as a news feed, so check back here every so often. If announcements are important enough, they will be posted on the front page. We all remember what that is, right? There's a link called "home" on that toolbar up there, right on top of this post. Dust it off.

1) Introduce yourself.
2) Read the rules, announcements and updates.
3) Hold On-Topic and Off-Topic discussions.
4) Make inquiries or request help.
It's what you can do in TWL Central, so DO it. Don't ask, just DO IT. Don't THINK about it. Do it NOW. Do ALL of it.

A few things will be happening around here over the next couple of weeks. First and foremost, we will be implementing a new version of the Prestige Point system dubbed simply the Prestige System, rules for which will be found in the thread when it manifests. In '09 our focus was on collaboration (which yielded one fantastic work, but one only) and in 2010 we had no focus. This year we will be trying to make the Lounge more streamlined by focusing on Member Portfolios and the Hall of Fame above all else; the Prestige system should ensure some change is met in both regards. This is to make the Lounge a more rewarding place to post your works.

I herby encourage Foolz3h to bring back the Weekly Writer's Challenge and the Caption Contest. There will be no Prestige Points attached to either activity once the Prestige system comes into play, so these will be strictly for fun.

I think we'll be updating the rules of the union as well... Yeah.

Newcomers: check out the old off-topic threads, they're hilarious. :P (Click 'Table of Contents a or b')

Regulars: There will be two new prestige levels called "OVER 9000!!!" (level 9999) and "God of Lounge" (level 30,000, bi*ch, because grinding and leveling up go hand in hand). You knew it was coming.

The rest of this post will contain links to important threads in the union. Links in brackets are old threads related to the content it is next to, numbered or lettered from oldest to least oldest. That is all. Post away!

Table of Contents [1][2][a][b][c]

• Prestige [1][a][b]
  • Writer's Challenges [1]
  • Caption Contest [1][2]
  • Hall of Fame [1]
  • [Old] Rules and Userbars
  • Writing 101 - A Compendium of Tips, Hints, Information and Misc.
  • A Tutorial: Some Basics
  • Union History
  • Union Affiliates
iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 iloveflash

I think I just figured out why Foolz3h has so many posts. It's because he has conversations like these.

It's ridonculous.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

I think I just figured out why Foolz3h has so many posts. It's because he has conversations like these.

It's ridonculous.

iloveflash

Nah, it's more to do with plain old spam!

lerfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lerfish
Member since 2008 • 629 Posts

Are we still keeping an up to date list of everyone's prestige level?

if so a link to it should be added  to that list up there imo :)

Also the prestige system sounds dope... but how would it work for my poetry thread?

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 iloveflash

---Latest update---

The Prestige thread is open! Add a poll to your works and put those portfolios together!

Also, the Ultimate Critic 2 is come! Expect it SOON, SO VERY SOON!

@lerfish: Click the link to the thread, it contains every single rule.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts
Do we just post our portfolios in this thread? Or just a link there.
iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 iloveflash

Do we just post our portfolios in this thread? Or just a link there.Sharpie125

The Prestige thread is the new Member Portfolio thread; you post all your works there and tally the Prestige points beside each link. Clicky the linky! It has all the rules and regulations to get you started.

lerfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lerfish

@lerfish: Click the link to the thread, it contains every single rule.

iloveflash

yeah but what i mean is i take it each of my individual poems needs it's own poll as each is a seperate pieve of work but this would require me to have a thread for every poem i've ever written as you can only have one poll per thread :/

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sharpie125

[QUOTE="Sharpie125"]Do we just post our portfolios in this thread? Or just a link there.iloveflash

The Prestige thread is the new Member Portfolio thread; you post all your works there and tally the Prestige points beside each link. Clicky the linky! It has all the rules and regulations to get you started.

All right, thanks. Just wondering though, is it possible for me to have a separate portfolio thread (that may or may not be linked with Prestige) that I can easily bump with new updates? I have some cool things planned out and I wanted to have updates and discussion all contained within one location, sort of like other peoples' reviews/poetry threads.

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 iloveflash

yeah but what i mean is i take it each of my individual poems needs it's own poll as each is a seperate pieve of work but this would require me to have a thread for every poem i've ever written as you can only have one poll per thread :/

lerfish

Be honest, man... You didn't click the link, did you? :P

- If your work is a series or collection, the prestige score will be multiplied by the number of works in the thread.

oloveflash

Get it? You can put a poll to your entire collection and whatever score it gets will simply multiply by the number of works you decide to put in it. You can rack up loads of points this way, but the downside is the score applies to EVERY work; i.e. a bad score is universal. This means you have to work hard to make your collection a standout!

All right, thanks. Just wondering though, is it possible for me to have a separate portfolio thread (that may or may not be linked with Prestige) that I can easily bump with new updates? I have some cool things planned out and I wanted to have updates and discussion all contained within one location, sort of like other peoples' reviews/poetry threads.

Sharpie125

You mean like Metal Shadow? :P Since you're new to the union, I'll fill you in on the categories we've devised around this place following some catastrophes and mishaps and naysays.

If you have a work with multiple chapters/parts and you want to present each piece individually, it's recommended that you create a single thread where you can prepare links to each chapter/part when they are ready. Any thread constructed like this is considered a series. If you post all the chapters at once, the piece is considered a short story if it is under 10,000 words and a novella/novel if it is over that amount. Poems/prose/reviews/essays posted individually are considered poems/prose/reviews/essays, but if they are all posted in one dedicated thread, regardless of genre they become part of a collection (the same can go for multiple short stories or novellas, though that sounds a bit suspect).

So basically, if you want to post multiple works in the same thread, go right ahead; it will be considered either a series (episodic content) or a collection (completed content), and you can then link to it in your actual portfolio if you wish. Hope that helps!

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sharpie125

Well I have the one thread (Nostos) but I was thinking after I have a few titles under my belt I just want to focus on one thread dedicated to all of my work (Hub 125, if you will) so I don't need to dig through pages to find something from months ago I have probably forgotten about. Then I'll just post the links under each sub-heading and bump whenever I have something to contribute. Organizing in the best way I know how :P

So my portfolio thread will be a little more interactive and maintained than the average member portfolio, but it'll be like the review collections where content is added periodically and everything stays in the one thread and people stop by (hopefully) whenever they see it bumped :)

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iloveflash

Oh, I see what you're talking about now. This used to be a great idea! :lol:

You'll have to be consistent in updating that thread; it's important to look at it from the reader's view and picture what kind of problems you may run into. (For example, we will have to post on the portfolio AND each of the pieces, which may get tiresome after a while.) But you are absolutely free to do it. I wanted people to put their portfolios in the Prestige thread for the sake of keeping them all in one accessible place--both for you and other members--but you may create a seperate portfolio, onsite or offsite, if you wish. I'd still suggest linking to it in the Prestige thread, in the event that it falls off the front page or something. Regardless, I'll treat it just like any other portfolio if you tally the points/categorize your works within the portfolio. Portfolios are also considered collections, so if you want to get points off of that exclusively, you can.

...Revisiting that old union just gave me an idea! :D

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sharpie125

Awesome. Thanks so much. It's just easier for me and I hope everyone interested in coming around from time to time. And I'll make up the place real nice ;)

lerfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lerfish
[QUOTE="lerfish"]

iloveflash

Be honest, man... You didn't click the link, did you? :P

I did but i dont think you understand what i mean. I know i create a list with all of my poems in the portfolio thread and keep a tally next to each poem of it's prestige level but i don't see how i can create a poll for every one of my poems as they're al in one thread (my poetry thread) hence there would only be one poll which would result in a prestige level for all my poems over all not about 50 different ones for each individual poem (or however many poems i've written)... Does that make sense?

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 iloveflash

You don't have to create a poll for every piece. You can create one poll in your poetry thread; the score for the entire collection will multiply based on how many works is in it. You can then link to the collection in your portfolio.

I think the problem is that you aren't aware that your entire poetry collection counts as one piece--as it always has. No matter how many poems you add, it will be considered one piece. You don't have to separate anything just to get prestige points for your poems.

Tell you what, how about you just make a post in the Prestige thread with a link to your poetry thread, and I will do the rest?

lerfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lerfish

You don't have to create a poll for every piece. You can create one poll in your poetry thread; the score for the entire collection will multiply based on how many works is in it. You can then link to the collection in your portfolio.

I think the problem is that you aren't aware that your entire poetry collection counts as one piece--as it always has. No matter how many poems you add, it will be considered one piece. You don't have to separate anything just to get prestige points for your poems.

Tell you what, how about you just make a post in the Prestige thread with a link to your poetry thread, and I will do the rest?

iloveflash

I see, i wasnt aware the whole collection would be grouped together, sorry. well thats a kind offer, although what else needs be done? sorry again for the confuion. derp.

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 iloveflash
That's all you need to do--that and add the poll to your poetry thread (read the rules!) Just post the link and I'll take care of it.
lerfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lerfish

alright, done.

let me know if i've done it wrong or something

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 iloveflash

alright, done.

let me know if i've done it wrong or something

lerfish

You forgot to do the maths. :roll:

I assume you voted for yourself, which is fine, but you gave yourself a '4' rating, which means you now have 4 prestige points, not 1. Each vote adds to your total number of prestige points this way.

Edit: Actually, you have WAY more than that. Multiply the score by the number of pieces in your thread! You should have a few hundred points at least. :)

Do you want your work to be in the Top 10? Nominated for the Hall of Fame? You've got to indicate the month if you want your work to be in the Top 10 and the year/genre if you want it to be in the HoF.

lerfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lerfish

Edit: Actually, you have WAY more than that. Multiply the score by the number of pieces in your thread! You should have a few hundred points at least. :)

iloveflash

Oh right i see, so will the votes that have already been made count for future posts too?

Do you want your work to be in the Top 10? Nominated for the Hall of Fame? You've got to indicate the month if you want your work to be in the Top 10 and the year/genre if you want it to be in the HoF.

iloveflash

Yeah, i'm in for everything, where/how do i do that?

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 iloveflash
I keep saying read the rules. I specifically wrote them so I wouldn't have to answer every question like this. Read them, they'll tell you how. If it's too confusing--any of it--just let me know and I'll do it for you.
lerfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lerfish
I do keep reading them over but it is very confusing at points... anyway i've done it alough im not sure properly becasue my poetry thread is an ongoing thing as my poems are organised by month within the thread. As for my short stories thread they're all old pieces anyway but when i write a new one i will organise them by moth too.
iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 iloveflash

---Latest update---

The Ultimate Critic 2 is postponed due to lack of participation! I guess there's a first time for everything...

Where the heck is Super Police 3!?
iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 iloveflash

Wth is InfiltrationMAN and why does it say he posted in Aber's thread?

I'm posting this here and not in that thread so that you can all see for yourself.
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Foolz3h

Wth is InfiltrationMAN and why does it say he posted in Aber's thread?

I'm posting this here and not in that thread so that you can all see for yourself.iloveflash

Someone who posted in the thread then deleted their post.

waZelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#26 waZelda
Member since 2006 • 2956 Posts

---Latest update---

Where the heck is Super Police 3!?iloveflash

It is coming along very slowly. Considering I have combined 1 and 2 into one piece (but I won't translate it), number 3 will be about as long as 1 and 2 combined. So far the word count is 29k, and in that it is less than half finished.

I keep getting distracted by a side project (that is even further from completion).

Chances are the third/second volume of the super police will be ready for translation by the beginning of the summer.

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 iloveflash
Nice date, I'm setting my calendar. Any news on publication efforts?
iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 iloveflash
What do you guys think about the Wikileaks Cablegate endemic? Smells like justice to me.
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Foolz3h

Jesus, i still need to finish waZelda's story! :(

What do you guys think about the Wikileaks Cablegate endemic? Smells like justice to me.iloveflash

Same old same old.

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 iloveflash

Jesus, i still need to finish waZelda's story! :(

Foolz3h

It'll probably be published any day now, right waZ?

...Right? :|

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Foolz3h

Okay so I've been about as active as Sparky. On the account Sparky.

Have been lurking, but will try and post. We certainly need it!

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 iloveflash
Got my laptop back, but I'm going to try to stay off it as much as possible. MS is suspended in favor of Children of Enigma, which will be a prologue to the series. I've had a lot of time to meditate these past few days off the comp, and I think I can strike gold if I do my research on this thing. (It's fantasy espionage, which I've frankly never heard of.)
lexika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lexika
Member since 2009 • 873 Posts
Hi guys. Sorry I haven't really been around writing my stories. I got stabbed in the tummy a while ago and it's left a really bad scar in my mind. I'll try and write soon. Sorry again. :cry:
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Foolz3h

Hi guys. Sorry I haven't really been around writing my stories. I got stabbed in the tummy a while ago and it's left a really bad scar in my mind. I'll try and write soon. Sorry again. :cry:lexika

Wow, that's awful! Sorry to hear that. :(

No need to apologise!

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Foolz3h

Not a single post on Like a Matador! :cry:

Not even from waZelda!

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 iloveflash
Need some new members, man. Everbody else is growing up and doing college and things.
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Foolz3h

Need some new members, man. Everbody else is growing up and doing college and things.iloveflash

Things such as commenting on other stories. :|

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 iloveflash

Things such as commenting on other, more well known franchises. :|

Foolz3h

Fixed.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Foolz3h
[QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

Things such as commenting on other, more well known franchises. :|

iloveflash

Fixed.

Wow, I would be offended if they had commented because that's wha tit was then! +1 cool points for no comment then.

I'd be especially offended given your Zeitgeist views! Geez, man! 

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 iloveflash

Wow, I would be offended if they had commented because that's wha tit was then! +1 cool points for no comment then.

Foolz3h

Sorry to offend, I didn't mean it like that. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't been reading anything but the news lately. I have seven new books that are just sitting there, collecting dust.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Foolz3h
[QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

iloveflash

Sorry to offend, I didn't mean it like that. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't been reading anything but the news lately. I have seven new books that are just sitting there, collecting dust.

Dudebro look at who you're talking to! If you want to offend me you'd have to not ever make a promised epic comment on Noodles---err, actually that was Sparky probably.

But seriously I was joking. And I was making your post look like it was insulting the stories being commented on and not my own. :P

As for the news may I suggest that you start reading those books and pretend they're news. Last night poverty was ended by a dragon that burned down Harlem. More awesome or what?

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 iloveflash
I must be getting old. This Internet thing is so confusing.
iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 iloveflash

IMPORTANT: SOME NEW TIPS ABOUT GOOGLE DOCS

- GD now has the "Table of Contents" feature, for those of you writing novels or have all the chapters in your series in one document. Just go to Insert > Table of Contents. The instructions will be given to you, which go something like: highlight each chapter title, change from "normal" text to "heading 1, 2, 3, etc." (higher numbers are sub-headings, so go for 3 or 4), then refresh the table of contents (refresh button is on top-right and bottom-right corner of table) and every text in heading 1-6 will be linked.

- Allow your readers to comment on your docs!!!!

Click Share > Change, and in the small tab on the bottom right next to "Access: Anyone", choose "can comment". This way people can comment on your document WHILE READING!!!! To comment on a doc just select a piece of text and Insert > Comment (or Ctrl+Alt+M). Comments appear in a stream to the right side of the document.

- Collaborate on docs!!!!

While reading a document, click Share to  ask permissions to collaborate on a document (or comment), or while writing, invite people to collaborate in the Share menu.

- You can chat with other viewers by clicking the small button that appears below Share whenever someone else is reading the document. (Says something like "1 other person is viewing")

THAT IS ALL FOR TODAY G'NIGHT FOLKS!!! 

lerfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lerfish
I still prefer wordpress... :P
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Foolz3h

I still prefer wordpress... :Plerfish

You probably wouldn't if you posted long stories. :P

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 iloveflash
Hey everyone. I have something of an announcement to make here. The past two weeks of my life have been very hectic and personal. I've been forced to take up a different way of thinking and acting. Among the many changes I've had to give my consent to, I have to get off the computer more often. This week I am off from work and generally free to do what I want, and I was planning to get in as much computer time as I could. I logged into Google Docs, however, and found that I had no desire to continue writing at all. I've cranked out more music in my spare time, but that's about the only enjoyable thing left. So, I intend to take a break from writing and music production and try to find things in the real world to focus all my efforts on. I'm a bit saddened by this because I've been promising to read some of you guys' work for some time now and never made good on that promise, but I'm confident the stories are good enough that, if you guys are smart enough, they will someday make it off this board in into my hands as physical literature. Shout out to foolz3h, Barbariser and waZ for sticking around the board as long as you did and making this place a real safe haven for amateur writers and readers. No pissing contests. I might swing by next year and drop off a new banner or something, though I plan to give up graphic design as well as everything else. And...I think that's all I've got to say! Ta-ta for now, loungerinos!
lerfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lerfish

It's a sad thig to see ILF leave us but it made me realise how quickly time has been going by - i noticed that my folio in the prestige thread was posted over a year ago - insane. I cnat believ it's been 2 or 3 years since i first came to this board but ILF is right, despite the fact that most of us come and go or like myself only drop in once in a blue moon it's still really great to HAVE a place like this to keep coming back to. And even though i might onl;y get a comment or 2 on each work i post - thats all i need personally to keep my going and keep me satisfied with my work and i don't know about the rest of you but i've never come across another thread/board/place that feels so homely and where people DO take the time to reply/comment on your work and like i said it's not much but it means a lot so i just wanna say thanks to all you guys now before i - or you take another path - which will inevitably happen... im 20 now and i see myself coming back less and less the older i get and i must have been 16/17 when i first came here and it's all the reasons i've just mentioned that have kept me coming back this long so i hope it continues for many more years to come, but yeah. i just wanted to say thanks, to everyone here at TWL.

iloveflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 iloveflash

It's a sad thig to see ILF leave us but it made me realise how quickly time has been going by - i noticed that my folio in the prestige thread was posted over a year ago - insane. I cnat believ it's been 2 or 3 years since i first came to this board but ILF is right, despite the fact that most of us come and go or like myself only drop in once in a blue moon it's still really great to HAVE a place like this to keep coming back to. And even though i might onl;y get a comment or 2 on each work i post - thats all i need personally to keep my going and keep me satisfied with my work and i don't know about the rest of you but i've never come across another thread/board/place that feels so homely and where people DO take the time to reply/comment on your work and like i said it's not much but it means a lot so i just wanna say thanks to all you guys now before i - or you take another path - which will inevitably happen... im 20 now and i see myself coming back less and less the older i get and i must have been 16/17 when i first came here and it's all the reasons i've just mentioned that have kept me coming back this long so i hope it continues for many more years to come, but yeah. i just wanted to say thanks, to everyone here at TWL.

lerfish

i-know-that-feel-bro.jpg

ohhithere. :avatar:

Gentlemen, I have entered Metal Shadow on Jukepopserials.com, a new site which will be launching on Sep 1. If you have a steampunk, sci-fi, fantasy, cross genre or slipstream series that you're confident in, get on that boat. Submit your story and spread the word.

That is all!

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Foolz3h

^Ooh, that's a fun idea.

Also: <33

iloveflash