Avatar image for 215278190490370409088520790582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 215278190490370409088520790582
Member since 2006 • 88 Posts

1) Depending on the level of "criticism" you shouldn't take it personal. It really helps because it can make your writing better. Don't pull away. Listen.

2) On the other hand, if you're the one giving "criticism" don't turn it into a heap of negative ranting. That would hurt the writer's feelings, and think his work is nothing but trash. When your "criticizing" please also say positive things about the writer's work.

3) Even if it's strong, you shouldn't let writer's block get to you. A strong writer NEVER gives up on his writing. In fact, I love all writer's work. As long as they try.

4) NEVER leave a blog, post, comment, etc. without a spell check. It can really be embarrassing.

5) We writer's all have something in common. A great talent. Don't ever, not for a second, waste it.

:D Have fun writing!

Sarge_Maximus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Sarge_Maximus2
Member since 2004 • 7767 Posts

1) Depending on the level of "criticism" you shouldn't take it personal. It really helps because it can make your writing better. Don't pull away. Listen.

2) On the other hand, if you're the one giving "criticism" don't turn it into a heap of negative ranting. That would hurt the writer's feelings, and think his work is nothing but trash. When your "criticizing" please also say positive things about the writer's work.

3) Even if it's strong, you shouldn't let writer's block get to you. A strong writer NEVER gives up on his writing. In fact, I love all writer's work. As long as they try.

4) NEVER leave a blog, post, comment, etc. without a spell check. It can really be embarrassing.

5) We writer's all have something in common. A great talent. Don't ever, not for a second, waste it.

TheGamemannn

I agree with 1 2, and 5 but as for three, I must disagree, if you have the writer's block that I do, the only way you can keep writing is if you make up a bunch of junk that is of a lower caliber than that of which you were writing and so you end up having a story that slowly gets worse.

as for 4, I disagree again, true it can be annoying for people to read spelling mistakes, but unless it is teh stupd tuff likethis, you shouldn't criticize someone for mispelling something, after all, it's more real if it's flawed because that's the way it was written than if it was spell checked. I happen to like the personal touch, which is why I rarely spellcheck my posts, unless I do it myself.

Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Sparky-05
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts
Some good stuff there, but I must add my two cents in:

For #3: Writers Block is terrible, and it is not easily overcome, you cannot just try to write because most writers has the respectability for themselves that they do not want to write crap. Writers Block can come in many forms and one of them is the constant idea that you cannot write anything "good". Writers Block happens and you have to do what you can to get past it. But in no way can you get writers block and just write. Things like that take time to get rid of. You need to find inspiration before you can write, and many different people are inspired by many different things.

For #4: Never say Never. Sometimes improper spelling is approiate, espessially for a story. Not everyone is always going to literate in a story, some characters, might be terrible spellers, some might have excellent grammar. Sometimes in a poem, spelling mistakes are intended. Sometimes you will become the embarassed one for pointing out the spelling mistakes, sometimes it is an issue, sometimes it is not. It depends on a few factors: One, what is the piece of writing for? If it is a review, you should have proper grammar. But if it is an illetate writing a memo in a book, he/she shouldn't have proper grammar, its common sense. Two, what is the intended purpose and who are the characters? If your purpose it to teach someone a lesson about literacy or something, you aren't going to have perfect grammar for everyone, its going to have some people who can't spell. Thats just a few situations in which perfect grammar is not required.

My suggestion is, if the grammar is really bad and it is your opinion that the piece of writing should have really good grammar, let them know. You might be wrong (depending on whether the issues were intended or not) or you might be right, its your call as to whether you point it out or not. Also, never point out specific spelling mistakes. Just say in general, you have a few here and there. It is better for the writer to find the mistakes himself/herself instead of you pointing them out inidivually. It allows them to learn what mistakes they made and how they can correct them alone.

Thats just my two cents on these tips ...
irmeleeman5995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 irmeleeman5995
Member since 2005 • 2484 Posts

TheGamemannn
We writer's? What did you say about spell checking?
CommanderSaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 CommanderSaper
Member since 2006 • 28 Posts
[QUOTE="TheGamemannn"]

irmeleeman5995
We writer's? What did you say about spell checking?

BA-ZING!
Avatar image for 215278190490370409088520790582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 215278190490370409088520790582
Member since 2006 • 88 Posts
Thanks for looking out for me :P
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#7 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I very strongly agree with #4.

But i disagree with you about writer's block. I've had it before, and you can't just gt over it. I found that taking a break and doing something else is a big help, and by the time I go back to writing, it's usually gone.