Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Sparky-05
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts

If you don't take pride in yourself and you don't boast about yourself, who will?Unknown World War II General

Grr, I just wrote my entire response and accidently deleted it. I'm off to do various tasks, I will post my own response later. Thanks!

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts
Other people most liekly. ;)
Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sparky-05

Other people most liekly. ;)Foolz3h

But it is not on the same level as you would promote yourself. I mean I have seen some great people, but I couldn't tell nowadays half of their names or most of what they did; memories fade. Now this quote isn't talking about the Rolling Stones or Neil Young or some big musican or actor or anything well known. It is talking about those who are just getting started in the world, those are the people who need to come out and say three little words, 'I Am Here'.

Those people are here and they need to take pride in what they are and will become. This quote is about standing out from the pack, being different and between proud. No one is able to tell it like it truly is except for the person most involved which in the case of your life is well, you.

This quote is essentially as I've said, getting out there and saying, 'I am here', but it is also more than that as it is a self-promotion idea, not only do you say that you are here, but 'look what I can do.'

That's my two cents ...

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8784 Posts

On the other side of the coin, pride is a sin isn't it? I agree that people need to rely on themselves more than others, but I'm not sure about being proud. I think strength and pride are two different things. It is possible to be strong but not proud. And this is a much more humble way of living. I heard some quote recently, from American Gangster, though they could have been quoting someone else. They basically said the loudest person in the room is the weakest person in the room. This is not to say you should be quiet, but at the same time, you shouldn't "boast" like the General suggests.

These days I think too many people are too proud and too boastful for no reason. A good example of this can be found in the show American Idol. A lot of people auditioning for the show think they are something great. Yet they turn out to be some of the most horrible singers around. Why? Admittedly at least half of them must be on there just for the attention and to get on TV. But do you suppose that some of them actually believe they are good? How sad. But at least they are proud of themselves, right?

Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sparky-05

It is one thing to be proud of your accomplishments, but a completely different thing to think you are better than anyone else. I agree completely that people nowadays are not conservative enough. In the ideal world, this general's remarks will be taken properly in the original intend of boasting about yourself in the positive manner of being proud of ones own accomplishments and not being embarrassed by who you are. In today's world, this general's remarks are taken the wrong way. People are proud for no reason and are there to promote themselves for no good reason. What people tend to forget is that to promote something as sturdy and long lasting such as themselves, they need a sturdy base. I could keep going, but I'll find myself in a rant about how people change their opinions as often as the sun rises.

So that is my two cents .. again, wait does that make 4 cents? Can I have it back?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8784 Posts
LMAO. I'm kind of short on money these days too...
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Foolz3h

On the other side of the coin, pride is a sin isn't it? I agree that people need to rely on themselves more than others, but I'm not sure about being proud. I think strength and pride are two different things. It is possible to be strong but not proud. And this is a much more humble way of living. I heard some quote recently, from American Gangster, though they could have been quoting someone else. They basically said the loudest person in the room is the weakest person in the room. This is not to say you should be quiet, but at the same time, you shouldn't "boast" like the General suggests.

These days I think too many people are too proud and too boastful for no reason. A good example of this can be found in the show American Idol. A lot of people auditioning for the show think they are something great. Yet they turn out to be some of the most horrible singers around. Why? Admittedly at least half of them must be on there just for the attention and to get on TV. But do you suppose that some of them actually believe they are good? How sad. But at least they are proud of themselves, right?

DEVILinIRON

Culturally though pride is becoming far less of a sin.
Oh and I'm yet to see a good singer on Australian Idoland they seem to get worse and more generic after the first auditions.
Temptation53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Temptation53
Member since 2007 • 171 Posts

Foolz3h

Culturally ... that my friend is Relativism (the belief that morals/values should be and are based on the society in which people live). I would recommend steering clear of anything to due with how culture views something as the word of any belief with a solid foundation regardless of what they are (even Atheists) does not alter within the society in which they reside. The sin of pride was (according to Jews and Catholics) the first sin and it many suggest (including myself) that when this world is gone through war and destruction that it will be the last. Pride regardless of the times is a horrible thing that damages one's soul and will towards doing good (which is important regardless of your faith).

Now I don't consider pride in itself a bad thing, but like gambling, money and pleasure ... it is easily corrupted into something that is horrible. Pride is success is important, but when that pride grows to a point where you don't recognize the other people who helped you achieve what you did ... then it's gone too far and it damaging to much more than the people around you.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Foolz3h

[QUOTE="Foolz3h"]
Temptation53

Culturally ... that my friend is Relativism (the belief that morals/values should be and are based on the society in which people live). I would recommend steering clear of anything to due with how culture views something as the word of any belief with a solid foundation regardless of what they are (even Atheists) does not alter within the society in which they reside. The sin of pride was (according to Jews and Catholics) the first sin and it many suggest (including myself) that when this world is gone through war and destruction that it will be the last. Pride regardless of the times is a horrible thing that damages one's soul and will towards doing good (which is important regardless of your faith).

That doesn't change the fact that it is nowadays acceptable. In fact it is encouraged.

And surely your soul is very faith related.
If, as I believe one does not have a soul then what exactly is pride damaging? Can one not be proud of doing good?

Temptation53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Temptation53

That doesn't change the fact that it is nowadays acceptable. In fact it is encouraged.

If, as I believe one does not have a soul then what exactly is pride damaging? Can one not be proud of doing good?

Foolz3h

Of course, but just because something is considered acceptable and is encouraged by today's culture doesn't mean that it is right ... in fact, in most cases it is wrong. Think of all the ways that todays culture promotes sin ... it's really corrupting the world to an extent where those with faith are well ... screwed.

Like I said, Pride in doing good is good in itself, but if it goes too far so as much as that you forget other people it will hurt you. Obviously I believe it destroys your soul, but in the cultural aspect ... it will destroy your relationships with other people as well as your reason for living. It's a dangerous thing that must be kept in balance or you'll become a money driven loner (or even worse, if that's possible).

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Foolz3h
[QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

Temptation53

Of course, but just because something is considered acceptable and is encouraged by today's culture doesn't mean that it is right ... in fact, in most cases it is wrong. Think of all the ways that todays culture promotes sin ... it's really corrupting the world to an extent where those with faith are well ... screwed.

Like I said, Pride in doing good is good in itself, but if it goes too far so as much as that you forget other people it will hurt you. Obviously I believe it destroys your soul, but in the cultural aspect ... it will destroy your relationships with other people as well as your reason for living. It's a dangerous thing that must be kept in balance or you'll become a money driven loner (or even worse, if that's possible).

Of course not. But that wasn't exactly what I meant.

Sure, but that could be said about a lot of things.

Temptation53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Temptation53

Foolz3h

What did you mean?

And of course it could be said for everything. If I were to do good for the sake of me feeling better and I did it to a point where I rationalized all my faullts because I give money to blahblablah, then my donations have just become evil. That is why people frown upon the people who drop a few bills at Christmas just cause they feel bad. They is no moral justice in what they are doing, it is merely an attempt to make themselves feel better. Now it is a thin line, but if you were to give money on a regular basis and that made you feel better, but you didn't come to think that they should be thanking you (like most do) and forget your faults ... then it's good.

Anything and everything can be evil if used in a wrong way. Sex, Money and Drugs are all great things in moderation ... they are pleasurable, heal us (obviously I'm speaking medically) and provide us with the necessities as well as enjoyment. However, they are among the dozens of things that easily distort our person when used to an extreme or in the wrong manner.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Foolz3h
[QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

Temptation53

What did you mean?

I wasn't saying whether it was right or wrong I was just saying it is becoming more acceptable.