Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Sparky-05
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts
 The Quote of the Week is a weekly quote that I will provide, in the topic that I post you can post your thoughts on the quote, whether you agree with it or not and so on.

This Week's Quote is ...

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Quote From Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States

I will post my thoughts first ...

I feel that this is an amazing quote. I was looking through my many quotes and I had picked out quite a few that I thought I would be posting, but when I saw this quote, I disregarded all others. It is a powerful quote and so true. Look back on history, so many men fought through the hard days in life. They survived wars, disease and emotional damage. Many people will tell you that pain shows character, but it is my opinion that it doesn't. I agree with this quote 100%. It is so easy for people to be great when they are nobodies. It is so easy to be a great person when you have no responsibility, when you have no power. But as George Orwell (A writer) says, 'Those who gain power are corrupted by that very power'. It is true that power corrupts. As someone in power you have authority over many things. Whether you are leader of a gaming clan or a country, you control or have a big say in whats going on. It is the people who are impeccable, the people who are truly great who can rule with an unbiased hand. As someone in power, it is so easy to do what you want. It is so easy to disregard everyone else. The ones that are given power and do not abuse it, but instead use it for the good of all is the greater man. For example, Former Prime Minister of Canada, Wilfred Laurier was known as the Great Compromiser. Why? Because he always compromised for the good of all. As the first French Prime Minister, he could have done a lot for the French, he could have even given them the more important say in Canada, but he didn't. Even though he probably wanted to, even though he wanted to make the French so much more than a second rate class. He respected the English. I know this is a terrible example, but it is all I can come up off the top of my head. Laurier when given power had the opportunity to abuse it, to push the English off to the side and favour the French, but he didn't. He governed equally for both side, he is a great person. Not because of what he may have gone through earlier in life, but because of what he did when he gained power. Thats my two cents ...

What are your feelings on the quote of this week ...
irmeleeman5995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 irmeleeman5995
Member since 2005 • 2484 Posts
[QUOTE="Sparky-05"]The Quote of the Week is a weekly quote that I will provide, in the topic that I post you can post your thoughts on the quote, whether you agree with it or not and so on.

This Week's Quote is ...

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

I feel that this is an amazing quote. I was looking through my many quotes and I had picked out quite a few that I thought I would be posting, but when I saw this quote, I disregarded all others. It is a powerful quote and so true. Look back on history, so many men fought through the hard days in life. They survived wars, disease and emotional damage. Many people will tell you that pain shows character, but it is my opinion that it doesn't. I agree with this quote 100%. It is so easy for people to be great when they are nobodies. It is so easy to be a great person when you have no responsibility, when you have no power. But as George Orwell (A writer) says, 'Those who gain power are corrupted by that very power'. It is true that power corrupts. As someone in power you have authority over many things. Whether you are leader of a gaming clan or a country, you control or have a big say in whats going on. It is the people who are impecible, the people who are truly great who can rule with an unbiased hand. As someone in power, it is so easy to do what you want. It is so easy to disregard everyone else. The ones that are given power and do not abuse it, but instead use it for the good of all is the greater man. For example, Former Prime Minister of Canada, Wilfred Laurier was known as the Great Compromiser. Why? Because he always compromised for the good of all. As the first French Prime Minister, he could have done a lot for the French, he could have even given them the more important say in Canada, but he didn't. Even though he probably wanted to, even though he wanted to make the French so much more than a second rate class. He respected the English. I know this is a terrible example, but it is all I can come up off the top of my head. Laurier when given power had the oppurtunity to abuse it, to push the English off to the side and favour the French, but he didn't. He governed equally for both side, he is a great person. Not because of what he may have gone through earlier in life, but because of what he did when he gained power. Thats my two cents ...

What are your feelings on the quote of this week ...

I agree with the quote because when you get to power people actually notice you, and watch you as well. Until then, it doesn't really matter who you are.
ZeldaMaster32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 ZeldaMaster32
Member since 2005 • 9263 Posts

Fabulous quote and very true. I don't really understand the first part of the statement, but I perfectly understand the second part. Giving someone power or authority really shows true intentions. And you can look back at history and see people like Hitler and you can see his true character. And you can even see this in our teenage age group. Whether working on a science project and you are the leader or a part of the student council, you can see this in play. I'm not good with power I don't think. I get jackassy imo. But my friends tell me otherwise.

irmeleeman5995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 irmeleeman5995
Member since 2005 • 2484 Posts

Fabulous quote and very true. I don't really understand the first part of the statement, but I perfectly understand the second part. Giving someone power or authority really shows true intentions. And you can look back at history and see people like Hitler and you can see his true character. And you can even see this in our teenage age group. Whether working on a science project and you are the leader or a part of the student council, you can see this in play. I'm not good with power I don't think. I get jackassy imo. But my friends tell me otherwise.

ZeldaMaster32
Hitler is who I thought of too.
ZeldaMaster32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 ZeldaMaster32
Member since 2005 • 9263 Posts
[QUOTE="ZeldaMaster32"]

irmeleeman5995

:lol: I think lots of people associate Hitler with the words man and power.

Avatar image for spikeyhairedkid
spikeyhairedkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 spikeyhairedkid
Member since 2006 • 8495 Posts
[QUOTE="irmeleeman5995"][QUOTE="ZeldaMaster32"]

ZeldaMaster32

:lol:

:lol: I think lots of people associate Hitler with the words man and power.

VestalDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 VestalDarkness
Member since 2006 • 221 Posts
In my Tolkien class, we have been talking about exactly this lately. If you read through Tolkien from The Silmarillion to The Lord of the Rings, you will notice that every single character that falls to darkness is corrupted by want of power. Very often they receive that power, usually from an object (such as the Silmarils or the One Ring). That object then proceeds to corrupt them until they know nothing but lust for power. That's why the most heroic characters in Tolkien are the ones who resist that call to power. For instance, Aragorn chooses to become king, but only because he has to, not because he wants the power. Gandalf only uses his power to help others, even though he could wield an enormous amount of power over other people. An interesting tidbit to think about in the context of the quote. 
daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts
That quote is good ... take a look at Bush and all the power which he has ... 
Platyphyllum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 Platyphyllum
Member since 2005 • 8105 Posts
I can understand that quote quite well! Lots of people can handle continuing difficulties and such but if you want to see who they truly are underneath, then give them power. In fact, I can find quite a bit of people who I can associate that with.
Avatar image for HyperMetaDragon
HyperMetaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 HyperMetaDragon
Member since 2006 • 5345 Posts
 The Quote of the Week is a weekly quote that I will provide, in the topic that I post you can post your thoughts on the quote, whether you agree with it or not and so on.

This Week's Quote is ...

I feel that this is an amazing quote. I was looking through my many quotes and I had picked out quite a few that I thought I would be posting, but when I saw this quote, I disregarded all others. It is a powerful quote and so true. Look back on history, so many men fought through the hard days in life. They survived wars, disease and emotional damage. Many people will tell you that pain shows character, but it is my opinion that it doesn't. I agree with this quote 100%. It is so easy for people to be great when they are nobodies. It is so easy to be a great person when you have no responsibility, when you have no power. But as George Orwell (A writer) says, 'Those who gain power are corrupted by that very power'. It is true that power corrupts. As someone in power you have authority over many things. Whether you are leader of a gaming clan or a country, you control or have a big say in whats going on. It is the people who are impeccable, the people who are truly great who can rule with an unbiased hand. As someone in power, it is so easy to do what you want. It is so easy to disregard everyone else. The ones that are given power and do not abuse it, but instead use it for the good of all is the greater man. For example, Former Prime Minister of Canada, Wilfred Laurier was known as the Great Compromiser. Why? Because he always compromised for the good of all. As the first French Prime Minister, he could have done a lot for the French, he could have even given them the more important say in Canada, but he didn't. Even though he probably wanted to, even though he wanted to make the French so much more than a second rate forbidden>What are your feelings on the quote of this week ...Sparky-05

That's one dangerous feat there, giving a man power. I see no reason giving a man power when he abuses it. A clear, logical example of this is war. As Albert Einstein once said...

So long as there are men there will be wars.
Sarge_Maximus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 Sarge_Maximus2
Member since 2004 • 7767 Posts
This would be why Superman is so great. All that power and he uses it only for good. Great quote by the way, I love it.
Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Sparky-05
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts
This would be why Superman is so great. All that power and he uses it only for good. Great quote by the way, I love it.Sarge_Maximus2

Thanks,  As for the Superman quote. That made me remember of the Justice League (My English Teacher used that as an example when he saw this quote.) ...
Sarge_Maximus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#13 Sarge_Maximus2
Member since 2004 • 7767 Posts
I love the Justice League! :D