Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Sparky-05
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts
"Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him ... that includes respect."
-- Woody Hayes

There is more to that quote located between him and that includes respect, but I want to focus in on the part posted. My thoughts on this quote are that if you do the work for someone you cheapen him. If you do something for someone, give them something that is unmerited then it is worse than doing nothing. Now you will say, what about the poor people, do they deserve the money given to them. Some do, some don't. The one that lies and says he has no home is cheapened by every penny they are given. But the ones that are truly desperate and have tried and tried are richened by every cent they recieve. You know will ask me how this is possible. It is because the man that lies and recieves something for his lie is a dishonest man and is cheapened by what is given to him. If he lies and asks for something he doesn't deserve, why should he get it. If you give a man something he did not work for, then why should he do work in the future. His mind is cheapened because you did the work for him. While the man who tried and tried, but can't seem to stay on his feet is strengthed by every cent given to him. If you give a man something he worked for and worked for, but just came up short, you give him what he earned, what he deserves.

The same is true with respect, many people give people the benefit of the doubt and respect people before they know who the person is. It is my opinion that if you do this, there is no fault. However, if you respect a man that you know and that man doesn't deserve respect, then he is cheapened. But the man who earns your respect deserves your respect.

I would like to add something onto this quote, you not only cheapen a man by giving him what he doesn't deserve, but you also cheapen him by not giving him what is rightfully his. Thats just my thoughts on this quote, What are yours?
Sarge_Maximus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Sarge_Maximus2
Member since 2004 • 7767 Posts

How about this:

"If you don't give someone his due, he thinks he hasn't done enough to earn what he should've had in the first place." ?  - Me

Incidentally I agree with the quote but not entirely. Like me for instance, I give everyone I meet the utmost respect; It's up to them to lose it.

irmeleeman5995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 irmeleeman5995
Member since 2005 • 2484 Posts
It's mainly a very intelligent observation. Give a man respect and credit he doesn't deserve and soon you have an intolerable jerk. They say most people who win the lottery have lost their money by five years later because they didn't earn it and don't know how to be a steward of it.
Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Sparky-05
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts

How about this:

"If you don't give someone his due, he thinks he hasn't done enough to earn what he should've had in the first place." ? - Me

Incidentally I agree with the quote but not entirely. Like me for instance, I give everyone I meet the utmost respect; It's up to them to lose it.

Sarge_Maximus2

I would initially be inclined to agree with you, but ... you have to keep in mind that there is being curtious and giving some respect. You should always be curtious, but shouldn't always respect someone. You can hate someone, but you should still be expected to treat them fairly, you are expected to be curtious to them, not cool ... I know, but its just a proper way to act. You don't insult someone in a fancy resturant, your curtious. However, if he doesn't have your respect, you don't have to give em the benefit of the doubt and all that stuff that comes with respect  ... Thats just my take on it ...

[QUOTE="irmeleeman5995"]It's mainly a very intelligent observation. Give a man respect and credit he doesn't deserve and soon you have an intolerable jerk. They say most people who win the lottery have lost their money by five years later because they didn't earn it and don't know how to be a steward of it.

Thats crazy. You were talking about that. I'd believe it, people just go crazy and they ruin everything they could've had. I hate the line "were here for a good time, not a long time" ... it promotes reckless behavior and the such, but theres a line that shouldn't be crossed.
Sarge_Maximus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#5 Sarge_Maximus2
Member since 2004 • 7767 Posts
Well I give people respect by default, but if they act like a jerk and such like you were saying, they lose it.