ao28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ao28
Member since 2008 • 124 Posts

When I picked up nba 2k13, I was very confused at first. I wasn't used to the new dribbling controls, and it a while to get the hang of it. I was frustrated, and wondered why they made the change, but I kept trying. But when I was used to it, I was pulling off crazy moves I never could in previous games. Then I realized something; THIS IS HOW SEQUELS SHOULD BE. The feeling of confusion was because of all the additions and improvements they made. And it is possible to make a  great sequel by improving in other areas besides the core gameplay (Halo), but makes the huge improvements 2k brings year after year is the fact that they are currently the only basketball game on the market. In contrast, when I played this year's madden, I felt right at home. I was slinging touchdown passes left and right, and the gameplay felt good. But then I realized that nothing changed. Even though it is a decently fun game, the game changes minimally every year, and I could barely feel the difference from last year. The franchise mode has a few new features, but the also REMOVED a ton of features, which doesn't make sense to me. I honestly feel that the ps2/xbox generation of madden games had a better franchise mode and still does. There was an interactive training camp, national and local newspapers detailing big events, the tony bruno show recapping events from the last week, an owner mode feature that let you set the prices for everything from concessions and ticket prices to how much you spend on advertising, and a robust coach hiring system. So when did the new features stop coming in madden? When nfl 2k5 came out, it not only offered what many felt was a superior product, but it only cost 20 bucks. Madden 05 came out and added all of the features I said for franchise mode and more, so it was still a great product. But the next year, when EA secured the exclusive license and came out with madden 06, the innovation was lower and so were the review scores. So the obvious conclusion to make is that since obtaining the exclusive license, EA has become lazy and complacent. They are not making horrible games, they are just not improving and making very good ones. They know that if you want a football game, you have to get madden. Which is why I would argue that they have created a monopoly with the exclusive license. It is almost impossible to create a great and successful football game without the nfl or ncaa football license, or the ability to use current or even former players. The only example I have of a really fun football game that doesn't have either of those licenses is blitz the league 2, but unfortunately it did not sell well, which helps prove my point that madden has become a monopoly, but back the the main point. 2k is self-motivated to make a great game. They said themselves in an interview that it's not about becoming the best basketball game, it's about BECOMING THE BEST SPORTS GAME. They are self motivated and provide not only an example for the guys at EA sports, but to all developers. And their hard work has payed off, as they have enjoyed fantastic critical and commercial success, and it is well deserved. Sure competition does make better games, as evidenced by nfl 2k5 and madden 05, but it is not needed to make a great game, and EA, along with a lot of developers, need to follow 2k's example. If that happens, then everyone will benefit; the consumers, the critics, and the developers.

So what did you guys think? let me know in the comments below, I appreciate the feedback. Also, let me know in the poll what I should do next. Thanks!

The_Touchable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 The_Touchable
Member since 2005 • 353 Posts
I know this is old but I just saw this post. This is a good read and I like to hear from someone who understands the issues of EA. But this piece is very blocky. I think you should break it up into smaller paragraphs.