Is there a way to uncompress GoWII .wad files?

harcipoter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 harcipoter
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

What I basically want is the soundtrack played ingame. I know the OST is all over youtube and there are also some unreleased tracks too, but I want the complete soundtrack. I tried a lot of wad extractors but none worked.

If someone knows how can I extract the tracks, here is one of the archives

(ps3)The GoW Collection gow2 p90.wad

(ps2)The original GoW p90.wad

I opened it with a hex editor to see what is inside and there are some archives like AMB_INDOOR_LP which I guess that are the sound files I am looking for.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 MrStarkiller
Member since 2008 • 18984 Posts

Not sure if GS would be happy about this talk, but if you don't tell, I won't. This said, it's a question more for Wulf. I'll see about grabbing his attention for you.

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 Wulf2K
Member since 2009 • 243 Posts

I'm at work right now so I can't test any of this, but the music shouldn't be in the WADs. The ambient noise files would just be specific sound effects in a level.

http://ngemu.com/threads/psx-vag-audio-files-major-problem-desperate-for-help.22976/

A few posts down there's a list of programs that should play VAG files.

I assume you've extracted the PSARC file already if you're seeing WADs (or dealing with the PS2 version), in which case the VAG files should be in:

\PS3_GAME\USRDIR\GOW1\exec\wad\_sound\dvd_streams

I'm not sure of the path for the PS2 version, but again, if you've figured out how to extract the PAK then locating the VAG files shouldn't be a problem for you.

Let me know how that goes for you.