shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 shockwave04
Member since 2002 • 19257 Posts
I think it was pretty epic. Check it out Here.
themyrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 themyrmidon
Member since 2007 • 5567 Posts

Epic indeed!

Looks like they took a lot of criticism of season 1 to heart.

Too bad Robert Knepper was only in one shot, hopefully he'll have a bigger role than that. 

Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts
Looks good! Can't wait.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
That was a great trailer. Loved the music and overall tone of it. I had my bass down low and it was still loud with that too lol.
shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 shockwave04
I'm glad Telford looks like he's going to be in more of the new season.
themyrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 themyrmidon
I'm glad Telford looks like he's going to be in more of the new season.shockwave04
True that, even if Knepper isn't in a whole lot if LDP is recurring I'll be happy.
mjk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mjk1
Member since 2003 • 10309 Posts
There is a story on Gateworld that Mckay is going to be in an episode next season as well.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

There is a story on Gateworld that Mckay is going to be in an episode next season as well.mjk1

Yeah, heard they were going to do an SGA crossover in lieu of a full movie, hopefully that project is only shelved and not completely dead. I'm liking Universe more and more, though. I know this is going to sound like sacrelige, but I think it could surpass Atlantis as my second-favorite gate show.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kurushio
No way SGU is going to surpass SGA at this point. SGA had humor and lots of nice things to look at. Im glad they are going to be finally getting around more of the ship but seriously get a few more lights lol. Also they need to answer some questions from S1 still. They better not pull a "furling" on us lol.
x-wing20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 x-wing20
Member since 2003 • 1293 Posts

[QUOTE="mjk1"]There is a story on Gateworld that Mckay is going to be in an episode next season as well.theone86

Yeah, heard they were going to do an SGA crossover in lieu of a full movie, hopefully that project is only shelved and not completely dead. I'm liking Universe more and more, though. I know this is going to sound like sacrelige, but I think it could surpass Atlantis as my second-favorite gate show.

It won't be in lieu. Its a little something for us fans to keep us happy until MGM gets their finances strait. 

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kurushio
IDK with MGM delaying both Bond and that 80's remake lol.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 theone86

No way SGU is going to surpass SGA at this point. SGA had humor and lots of nice things to look at. Im glad they are going to be finally getting around more of the ship but seriously get a few more lights lol. Also they need to answer some questions from S1 still. They better not pull a "furling" on us lol.Kurushio

TBQH, I think SGA is way overrated. I thought they got very formulaic in seasons 3+4, and the worst part for me was the humor. It seemed like every episode they were repeating the same old character jokes. Oh, Rodney's arrogant and likes to eat, Ronnon doesn't talk, Shepherd's had a lot of close encounters, hah hah hah hah hah. That was funny at first, but four straight seasons with no new material, sorry but that wears thin. I'll admit season 5 is really redeeming the series for me after some really strong episodes, but if SGU can stay fresher than Atlantis did then it's a no-brainer that it's my number two.

themyrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 themyrmidon

Kill me now, but I actually like SGA more than SG1.  SGU will wallow in last place in the franchise, but if it keeps up its recent streak then it might not be the black sheep of the family. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f923218dd223
deactivated-5f923218dd223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f923218dd223
Member since 2005 • 654 Posts
I can see how some people like SGA more than SG1. I know my wife does. In SG1 they had to explain how every thing works and there seemed to be a lot more character development at the beginning. The first season or two of SG1 made it very difficult to get into. I don't think they quite had the story telling down yet either. But eventually they got into the action. With SGA, it was about the action from the beginning and much easier to get into. SGU seemed to be going back to that large amount of character development. I'll be honest, I got tired of them using the stones for that purpose. There was so much more capability there. Which thankfully they've started to use by bringing in technology experts, doctors, etc. But so far it seems to be more about the drama than the action. Each series has it's ups and downs in their own way.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 theone86

I can see how some people like SGA more than SG1. I know my wife does. In SG1 they had to explain how every thing works and there seemed to be a lot more character development at the beginning. The first season or two of SG1 made it very difficult to get into. I don't think they quite had the story telling down yet either. But eventually they got into the action. With SGA, it was about the action from the beginning and much easier to get into. SGU seemed to be going back to that large amount of character development. I'll be honest, I got tired of them using the stones for that purpose. There was so much more capability there. Which thankfully they've started to use by bringing in technology experts, doctors, etc. But so far it seems to be more about the drama than the action. Each series has it's ups and downs in their own way.buzzard31581

I agree with this analysis for the most part, which is why I rank them SG-1, then SGU, then SGA. I like character development over action and more intricate, drawn-out stories over ones that just hit the ground running. To be even more frank, I thought as time went on SG-1 went downhill, especially some of the filler episodes. I could forgive bad filler for good main plot episodes, though, which brings me to the problem I have with SGA that they rely too much on tired character jokes and thin stories, which is incidentally what made me hate the Cam Mitchell era of SG-1 (plus I just dislike Ben Browder). SGA redeems itself by having strong inital seasons and some very cool episodes in season 5.

I'll admit SGU had a slow start, some incredibly bad characters (Chloe), and an annoying habit of putting crappy pop music in their episodes, but despite that I think they're redeemed by having some strong character development, ongoing storylines, and a return to recurring themes and constant mystery that made SG-1 so great. Let's face it, in the early seasons of Atlantis and SG-1 Earth forces got their butts kicked, then they stumbled across some Ancient or Asgard tech or an extra ZPM and kicked butt. To me that made the episodes a bit more boring in some instances.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kurushio

With SGU almost none of the characters make you really feel for them. The audience probably cares more about Eli than just about anyone other person on the crew just because he is never going to get the girl (atleast chloe). SG1 made you really care about each member of the team pretty deeply and they each had some pretty strong motivations behind them.

SGA wasnt quite the same but it did start the formula that SGU now uses since they were abandoned on a ship without any kind of backup at all for a long time.SGU just doesnt bring the same kind of connection that the others had.

I still like SGU, dont get me wrong, but its kinda bad when there are whole episodes where you dont even hear the word stargate but maybe once lol. Its more like its Star Trek but the Enterprise was built by Toyota (as in you can stop or control it :P)

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 theone86

With SGU almost none of the characters make you really feel for them. The audience probably cares more about Eli than just about anyone other person on the crew just because he is never going to get the girl (atleast chloe). SG1 made you really care about each member of the team pretty deeply and they each had some pretty strong motivations behind them.

SGA wasnt quite the same but it did start the formula that SGU now uses since they were abandoned on a ship without any kind of backup at all for a long time.SGU just doesnt bring the same kind of connection that the others had.

I still like SGU, dont get me wrong, but its kinda bad when there are whole episodes where you dont even hear the word stargate but maybe once lol. Its more like its Star Trek but the Enterprise was built by Toyota (as in you can stop or control it :P)

Kurushio

I completely disagree with the first sentence. Wray is a very deep character and has a few different sides to her, Rush has a lot of emotional driving forces and is quite devious in knowing how to play different sides, Young is like Shepherd or O'Neil except he actually shows a lot of vunerability surrounding tough decisions and he has some volatile relationships. I think these characters are very deep, moreso than any of the characters in previous shows. They might not be as likable, but I think the way in which they tell these characters' stories, tying in past events with current stories, makes these characters stand out a lot more as opposed to, say, simply going off a standard character format for a while and then out of the blue introducing a sister or father that the character has a strained relationship with but never in the past talked about.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kurushio
[QUOTE="Kurushio"]

theone86

I completely disagree with the first sentence. Wray is a very deep character and has a few different sides to her, Rush has a lot of emotional driving forces and is quite devious in knowing how to play different sides, Young is like Shepherd or O'Neil except he actually shows a lot of vunerability surrounding tough decisions and he has some volatile relationships. I think these characters are very deep, moreso than any of the characters in previous shows. They might not be as likable, but I think the way in which they tell these characters' stories, tying in past events with current stories, makes these characters stand out a lot more as opposed to, say, simply going off a standard character format for a while and then out of the blue introducing a sister or father that the character has a strained relationship with but never in the past talked about.

Yeah because showing one of them is a lesbian, another is pregnant, another is self absorbed, another is bullheaded, and so on is much deeper than a guy who's kid gets shot by his own gun, turning on all you have done and accomplished your whole life to work for a better future, and losing your wife and family to an alien isnt deep at all. I cant really come up with anything deep with Carter though at the moment lol.

SGU is about as close to watching a soap opera as im ever going to come and i still do enjoy it but not the levels of SG1 and A. I will say that one bad thing about SG1 and A was that if you had never watched any SG jumping into A or late in 1 would be kinda tough and SGU is much easier but then you wont understand at first alot of the personal things going on. Of which is only going to get more and more complicated as it goes.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 theone86
[QUOTE="theone86"][QUOTE="Kurushio"]

Kurushio

Yeah because showing one of them is a lesbian, another is pregnant, another is self absorbed, another is bullheaded, and so on is much deeper than a guy who's kid gets shot by his own gun, turning on all you have done and accomplished your whole life to work for a better future, and losing your wife and family to an alien isnt deep at all. I cant really come up with anything deep with Carter though at the moment lol.

SGU is about as close to watching a soap opera as im ever going to come and i still do enjoy it but not the levels of SG1 and A. I will say that one bad thing about SG1 and A was that if you had never watched any SG jumping into A or late in 1 would be kinda tough and SGU is much easier but then you wont understand at first alot of the personal things going on. Of which is only going to get more and more complicated as it goes.

The way in which the characters' backstories were introduced was kinda overbearing, especially Jack. I don't count the movie against SG-1 because otherwise I'd have a pretty low opinion of SG-1, but taking the main character, who's a buff non-talkative tough guy, and having his son accidentally have shot himself which leads to his wife leaving him is kinda hitting you over the head with the concept, it's attempt at taking a shallow character and artificially giving depth to him.

That being said, I think the fact that the producers decided to make references to Jack's son sparingly and in a creative manner speaks to part of the reason why SG-1 is leaps and bounds ahead of the original movie. I don't know that I'd say Daniel's backstory made him that much deeper of a character, though I did like the manner in which they told the story he always seemed to have more investment with characters that had some archeological connection, and at times the whole story just seemed like a pretext for keeping him on the team. Teal'c, I'd say, has the best character development of all of them.

Besides, you're arguing SG-1, I already said SG-1 is still my favorite and it's my favorite in part because they took the time to do character-driven episodes and do them so well. I can't really say the same about Atlantis, with a few notable exceptions. As to SGU being a soap, I think that's an unfair assertion. Thre reason soap can be used in the pejorative sense is because of the habits of soap writers to utilize cheesy dialogue and keep storylines recurring for no reason but to ensure that viewers tune in to see the conclusion, and both SG-1 and SGA have been guilty on both counts in the past. If anything, I think SGU is making an attempt to make the dialogue more realistic instead of the pun-ridden banter that dominated the first two shows (which again, I'm not totally against but I did really start to get sick of after a time). I don't think it's a fair accusation to level just because they're focusing more on the characters. The only instance where it might hold some weight in my mind is with Chloe, and I agree that she's melodramatic and pretty useless overall.

themyrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 themyrmidon

Soap is exactly the right term for SGU.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, Kings was also a soap but that doesn't mean I didn't love it.  The problem is SGU thinks that its shallow characters with phony depth is its strong point, when it really is one of its flaws.  SG1 and A also had weak characters, it just didn't focus the series on them.

That said, the question becomes what should Universe be?  How about more planet exploration, more about the ship itself, and less about the crew and the home galaxy. 

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kurushio
Really SGA and SGU are really similar. They both went through a gate into an unknown place and both had to do immediate reparis and missions to save themselves. SGU though also has those communication stones which usually are quite annoying and although i see thier purpose they are also misused. I also thought they had a plot hole since the stones seem to work in which ever way is convienent for the writers much like they did when the writers made the Zat guns 3 shots rule and especially when it traveled along a steel beam to hit someone lol.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
I know we've drifted some from the SGU trailer but as far as characters, no Stargate has never been about deep characters. Instead, they gave us likable characters. With SGU they tried to give us deep characters but to me, they are as cliche-ridden as ever and don't have the redeeming qualities of being particularly likable in general or being involved in the sorts of fun/engaging adventure stories that SG1 and SGA gave us.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kurushio
That might sum it up pretty good. The likeablity of the other teams made up for some of thier lack of depth and through the years we just ignored or didnt care anymore lol.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 theone86

I know we've drifted some from the SGU trailer but as far as characters, no Stargate has never been about deep characters. Instead, they gave us likable characters. With SGU they tried to give us deep characters but to me, they are as cliche-ridden as ever and don't have the redeeming qualities of being particularly likable in general or being involved in the sorts of fun/engaging adventure stories that SG1 and SGA gave us.xaos

I think that sums it up retty well. I would agree, except I just don't find Tayla and Shepard to be all that likable, plus I find most of the SGU characters to be complex. Rush, especially, I find to be an engaging character even if he isn't likable.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kurushio

[QUOTE="xaos"]I know we've drifted some from the SGU trailer but as far as characters, no Stargate has never been about deep characters. Instead, they gave us likable characters. With SGU they tried to give us deep characters but to me, they are as cliche-ridden as ever and don't have the redeeming qualities of being particularly likable in general or being involved in the sorts of fun/engaging adventure stories that SG1 and SGA gave us.theone86

I think that sums it up retty well. I would agree, except I just don't find Tayla and Shepard to be all that likable, plus I find most of the SGU characters to be complex. Rush, especially, I find to be an engaging character even if he isn't likable.

Teyla wasnt bad at first but did get more annoying than anything later on. Shepard was pretty much copied off of Jack so you can either take it or leave it and personally i liked him.

shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 shockwave04
I hated Teyla form the begining, even more when she got pregnant.
Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

I hated Teyla form the begining, even more when she got pregnant.shockwave04

Loved her until she got pregnant. Was so bad. Now we have somebody pregnant on SGU already. lol.

mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 mgmeek
Member since 2005 • 4079 Posts

[QUOTE="shockwave04"]I hated Teyla form the begining, even more when she got pregnant.Flamecommando

Loved her until she got pregnant. Was so bad. Now we have somebody pregnant on SGU already. lol.

Nobody likes the preggies.