kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

User Lists: 0

#1 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Well we all figure it's only a matter of time before we see a new Mario Kart game for the WiiU. MKWii was a massive hit for the Wii for hardcore and casual alike and finally getting a decent online experience out of MK (now if only Smash could do the same thing) but after this last installment, much like the 2D Marios some of us see it running out of steam. MK7 did bring in some new power ups like the racoon tail, allowed for customizable karts and the water and air switching mechanics but U think we're all wanting something more for the WiiU.

Now if you haven't played this, you should. It's available for nearly everything with a screen.

669064_273451_thumb.jpg

Seriously this is the first time in a while that a mascot kart racer could hold a candle to MK. I also played LBP Karting and sorry to say the game is a bit dull for all the fanfare Sony put behind it. Now I really liked the first Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing though it did need a few tweaks to hold its own against Mario but the sequel truly did all that. Basically Sega knew what needed improved from the first, cranked it up to 11 and made what could possibly be the "Best Mario Kart Clone" out there. Mind you this is the same character who gave us the abyssmal Sonic Drift possibly the worst example of a Mario Kart clone.

So what could MK learn from this game? Well aside from maybe get some of the folks from Sumo to come develop the next MK game.

Super Smash Kart? Instead of just having the slew of Sonic characters, though Sonic series is well represented here, this one expanded to other Sega franchises like Aiai from Monkey Ball, Nights, Ulala from Space Channel Five, Alex Kidd, Vyse from Skies of Arcadia and so on. (Honestly I have no idea why Sega hasn't used their characters and made their Smash Bros. game I mean why does that not exist) and of course the wtf over Danica Patrick and Wreck-it-Ralph's inclusion but whatever. Instead of scraping the bottom of the barrel for obscure characters from the Mario universe like Wiggler and Funky Kong, bring in Link, Samus, Pit, Pikachu, as racers. I mean you could still have Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, and DK. Wario could don his Warioware outfit and ride his motorcycle. Samus could drive a smaller version of her ship, Pit could drive that Scarab car thing from Uprising and Pikachu could have a Pokeball shaped car.

Bring back special attacks. you know what I liked about Double Dash as well as these two Sonic racers? That each character had a "special move" specific to them. The downside of this, is that there's always a risk of one attack being more powerful than the others as with SSBB Final Smashes.

World Tour Mode: I HATE story modes in kart racers. I don't give a damn as to why they're racing. Case in point Modnation Racers, the story was insipid. Since the main character was whatever you created, they had no personality or lines so you just bum along listening to your annoying friends make pop culture references not to mention a pair of announcers I couldn't stand. One was too much of a wimp and the other one was downright mean and not in a funny way. And most story modes have you grinding the same races over and over again (looking at you Diddy Kong Racing). In this one, there's a world tour mode where you play through races are various levels, where you earn stars to unlock characters. This is nice but I did like the first SASASR's system better. It let you earn points for racing where said points would let you use said points to unlock characters, tracks and music. I did get annoyed with MKWii's difficulty in later races where you were just a few points shy of unlocking....baby Daisy. A sense of the work isn't worth the reward.

The other thing many will tell you with Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed is that it does focus more on winning through skill rather than luck. With MK we all know, no matter how well you can manuver the tracks or aim green shells, you can still lose to a five year old in last place with that blue shell of death. I doubt Nintendo would change MK to make it more skill based because they encourage friends sitting around playing together and it's not fun when the same person wins game after game after game.

So if Nintendo made "Super Smash Kart" I would be like "Shut up and take my money."

game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 game-ster23
Member since 2009 • 17328 Posts
I actually created thread very similar to this in the Nintendo Wii board a few years back and I totally agree. Mario Kart 7 had Metal Mario as well, now that's just low since it's just Mario with a power up. I jaw would drop to see Link, riding in a kart that looks like an ocarina. :P
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kbaily

My ideas for some of the Nintendo character karts. We've already seen DK in barrel shaped karts and Yoshi have the yoshi egg theme going.

Wario: Wearing the Warioware gear and driving his motorcycle (yes like SSB it will give you the option to switch to classic Wario)

Link: For those who think adult Link is "too serious" or "too realistic" for this sort of game, there's always the option to have Toon Link driving a car that looks like the King of the Red Lions.

Samus: Before you say Samus is "too serious" for this. Bear in mind nothing can humiliate Samus more than Other M did. She could drive in a mini version of her ship

Kirby: Well Kirby's had some race experience with Kirby's Air Ride and just like with that game, he could ride around on his warp star.

Pit: Thanks to Kid Icarus Uprising Pit has a car shaped like a Scarab. That was easy.

Pikachu: Even though as the anime goes Pikachu doesn't go inside his Pokeball, he could have a kart shaped like a Pokeball that opens up to reveal the driver's seat.

Ice Climbers: Nana and Popo drive in a Snowmobile. lol

Sonic: Hey why not? Well he could just drive his blue speeder or they could let him run on foot, though given how a kart racer controls, might make it awkward controling Sonic on foot and we'd end up with something along the lines of Sonic R's control scheme and no one wants that.

Anyone else want to come up with a creative kart design for a Nintendo character. I was trying to think of what Ike or Game and Watch would drive.

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 GamerofMario1
Member since 2008 • 12972 Posts
For Smash Kart, Nintendo would have to decide if everyone will be riding in a cart or not. Link could ride on his horse, for example. I would prefer karts like kbaily mentioned, because then it would be like Diddy Kong Racing (which I did not enjoy.)
game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 game-ster23
Diddy Kong Racing (which I did not enjoy.)GamerofMario1
I thought Diddy Kong Racing was fantastic. What wern't you a fan of?
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kbaily

Me personally I didn't dislike Diddy Kong Racing. The inclusion of the hovercrafts and planes gave it some separation for Mario Kart.

What bothered me was the Adventure Mode. It sounds good on paper but in the end, is a really tedious grind.

First of all the hub world. Guys let's get this straight, most game hub worlds don't offer that much they were just something devs used when games first went into the 3rd dimesnion to show off the 3D visuals hence why no kart racers now use them. Modnation did but is also had the menu screen option so you didn't have to waste time driving around just to go to the next race.

Ok when you start a world in DKR you have to go through each of the tracks and get first place. Then you race the boss. At some point you have to find that key hidden for the battle mini game. Then you have to go through ALL the races AGAIN this time collecting silver coins AND getting first place. Then RACE the boss AGAIN. Then there's the Trophy Racing meaning you do all the tracks a 3rd time. You have to repeat this cycle for 4 levels. Honestly for me it started to feel repetive by the Ice World.

Now as for being a good racer to play with friends, yeah that part is awesome but it goes back to my argument as to why every kart racer that isn't Mario Kart feels the need to tell us a story as to why they're racing.

I always had hoped that they would make a true sequel to this game for the 360 if anything to give Xbox owners a kart racer of their own. All they'd had to do is drop Diddy from the roster and call it "Rare Racing" or "Banjo-Kazooie Karting" or something though in hindsight, seeing Conker there not swearing and or drunk feels weird now especially when HIS own game came out.

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 GamerofMario1
Member since 2008 • 12972 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerofMario1"]Diddy Kong Racing (which I did not enjoy.)game-ster23

As kbaily said, the adventure mode was the problem. I haven't even played it for years, but I think I also did not really like the roster.

game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 game-ster23

[QUOTE="game-ster23"][QUOTE="GamerofMario1"]Diddy Kong Racing (which I did not enjoy.)GamerofMario1

As kbaily said, the adventure mode was the problem. I haven't even played it for years, but I think I also did not really like the roster.

I just rented a few times for the multiplayer and roster only had 3 characters that I used.