kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

User Lists: 0

#1 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

On thing that I always found interesting was from A Link to the Past on, Mario or at least something from a Mario game, often sneaks into a Zelda game. Some of these cameos are obvious, some aren't unless you're looking, Much like in Pixar movies, the Pizza Planet truck is in all of them and character from other movies show up. Anyone find Lotso in Up?

But Nintendo characters love to pop up in each others games. Did anyone find Mr. Game and Watch in Donkey Kong Country Returns?

But Mario has made several cameos in Zelda games:

Link to the Past: Mario appears in pictures on the walls of houses and striking them nets you a rupee

Link's Awakening: 32px-Tarin.png39px-Mamu_Sprite.png32px-BombiteGreen-LA-Sprite.png35px-Goomba-LA-Sprite.png40px-MaskMimic-LA-Sprite.png21px-PirahnaPlant-LA-Sprite.png40px-CheepCheep-LA-Sprite.png40px-Blooper-LA-Sprite.png40px-BooBuddy-LA-Sprite.png40px-ThwimpBlue-Sprite-LA.png40px-BowWow_Sprite.png40px-Anti-Kirby.png35px-Mr._Write.png

Marin's Brother (?) Tarin bears a striking resemblence to Mario with his big nose and mustache. Plus he goes into the woods looking for mushrooms and gets turned into a crazy racoon. Mario, drugs are bad mkay? Also Wart, the main foe from SMB2 makes a cameo as the Frog King who teaches you a song. Besides Mario Kirby and Dr. Wright from the SNES SimCity (you know the one not ruined by DRM) also appear. I didn't have a sprite of it but there's a man in green on top of Tal Tal Heights who has pet chickens who looks like Luigi.

Ocarina of Time: Fairly well known but also easy to miss as there's only one shot to see it. When Link visits young Zelda in the castle courtyard, there's a window to your right if you got into first person and fiddle with the camera you can see pictures of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi and Bowser. This is also in the 3DS remake but a different Mario image.

Majora's Mask: The mask salesman has a Mario mask on the back of his pack.

Twilight Princess: One of the canon operators has a bullet bill tatoo.

That's all I can think of off hand. Can't remember if any Mario cameos showed up in the Toon Link installments. Feel free to add to this list.

SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 SloganYams
Member since 2010 • 981 Posts

In Wind Waker, one of the members of Tetra's pirate crew is Prof. E. Gadd, but with pirate garb.

Also, the Pizza Planet truck does NOT appear in The Incredibles. The sole exception. 

SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SloganYams
Also, when originally making Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, the Starbeans cafe originally had cameos of Wario, Excitebike, Fox, Olimar and Link, but the final game removed them in favoir of E. Gadd (who initially only had one appearance, with the other characters showing up subsequently). The dialogue for each character can still be found in the game's coding, evidently, as well as the original names of the items you gained from them (the "Great Force" os SS was originally the Triforce).
game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 game-ster23
Member since 2009 • 17328 Posts
Very neat. I didn't about many of these since I never finished a Zelda game. :P
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#5 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Since we're on the subject, here's other Nintendo cameos in various games.

Mario in various NES sports titles: Back before EA took over sports related gaming. There were a variety of basic non liscened sports game where Mario was the avatar or the referee most notably Punch Out! where he was the official.

Pinball NES: Mario and Pauline from the original arcade DK appear in the mini game where you rack up points for Mario to catch Pauline to guide her to safety.

Super Mario RPG: I call this "who's been sleeping in my bed?" In one of the Inns after Geno joins the party, return and Link will be sleeping in one of the beds, speak to him and you hear the familiar "puzzle solved" jingle. Later in the game Samus is sleeping in the guest bed in Peach's castle in her suit and says "I'm resting up for Mother Brain." At the inn deep in the volcano there's a shelf that has 2 Fzero cars and an Arwing.

DKC2- Beating the game takes you to Cranky's Hero room where Mario, Yoshi and Link sit in the 1,2, and 3 spot respectively. Get enough DK coins and Diddy will take the place of one of them. Also there's a trash can titled "No Hopers" with Earthworm Jim's gun and a familiar pair of red and white sneakers.

Super Mario All Stars: in the remake of SMB3, all the transformed kings were changed from animals to baddies from SMB2 and SMW but the king in lvl 4 (or 5?) is DK Jr. and Lvl 7's King is Yoshi.

Banjo Tooie- One of Bottle's kids has a stuff DK (this was changed in the XBLA release) Not changed in the XBLA release of Banjo Kazooie is him playing a Gameboy for save file 3 and in Tooie the N64 on the table for the multiplayer select.

Animal Crossing- Aside from the original's collection of unlockable NES titles all games are full of Nintendo franchise shout out collectables. At one point I had the N64 logo, Gamecube logo, Fox's Arwing, Master Sword, Mario and Luigi statues.

Soul Calibur II- This is pretty obivious where Link was an exclusive playable character in the GC version which lead the GC version of SCII to sell the best and yet SCIII only was on the PS2....-_-

EA Street- In one of the weirder cameos Mario, Luigi and Peach did, they are playable in this EA basketball title. Mario proves white men CAN jump.

MGS: Twin Snakes- In Otacon's room he has figurines of Mario and Yoshi and a Gamecube as well as Psychomantis will make a comment regarding Super Mario Sunshine. and I believe in the 3DS MSG game there's an issue of Nintendo Power on a table with Snake on the cover.

And we can't forget about some of the WiiU launch titles like Super Scribblenauts and Tekken Tag Team Tournament doing their own Nintendo shout outs.

I know I didn't cover all of them. I'm rather tired.

SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SloganYams
Probably the biggest Mario cameo in the history of Zelda is one a lot of people don't notice. The Fairy Fountain theme, which is often also the opening theme of Zelda games and has been in the series since A Link to the Past, is really the overworld theme for the third world of Super Mario Bros. 3, but slowed down and with a few extra notes added to make it sound more mystical.
GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 GamerofMario1
Member since 2008 • 12972 Posts
There are so many cameos from the Mario series that we could go all day... On topic, I know that Bob-ombs are enemies in Zelda: Four Swords.